PDA

View Full Version : Broncos' McDaniels not fair weather guy

oubronco
10-08-2009, 01:27 PM
Amid cold temperatures and rain-mixed-with-snow conditions at Broncos headquarters today, coach Josh McDaniels led his team to the outdoor practice field. McDaniels doesn't generally believe in practicing in bubbles.

"If we play in it, I hope we practice in it, and that's going to be our philosophy," he said. "If it's wet, damp, raining, snowing, whatever, we're going to be outside."

Sunday's forecast for the Broncos' game against the visiting New England Patriots calls for more cold weather and possibly snow. Knowing that, McDaniels said there is no possibility that his team would practice indoors.

"You can't just tell the guys, 'Hey, we're going to practice inside in a bubble all week long and when we go out there and play in the snow on Sunday, just make sure you do all the things you're supposed to do,' " McDaniels said.

"You have to be ready to handle it. You have to understand what you can and can't do when the weather's poor. You can't cut the same way, you may not be able to throw the same way. And it definitely affects the kicking game first."

Now, if the Broncos were playing at Tampa Bay or San Diego on Sunday, McDaniels said he might move practice indoors — but only if there were blizzard-like conditions during practice.

"If there was some clear-cut (forecast) where we knew the weather was going to be beautiful on Sunday and we're out there trying to practice in two feet of snow, I don't think that would be smart," he said. "But if the weather has a chance to be poor on the weekend, we have to prepare for it."

Mike Chambers: 303-954-1357 or mchambers@denverpost.com

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_13515311

Smart move by McD

TheDave
10-08-2009, 01:29 PM
Right now, this kid seems to be doing all the right things.

broncosteven
10-08-2009, 01:30 PM
I like this also.

It is the little things that he is winning me over with.

Mr.Meanie
10-08-2009, 01:33 PM
I would think this would be standard practice for every team.

OBF1
10-08-2009, 01:34 PM
SNOW..... damn, it is still great weather here in SoCal, was in the 100's just last week

TheDave
10-08-2009, 01:37 PM
SNOW..... damn, it is still great weather here in SoCal, was in the 100's just last week

I was just out there 2 weeks ago.

Hot, Smoggy and crowded, just like always. ;D

Rohirrim
10-08-2009, 01:37 PM

You call that great? I call it Hell. Ha!

underrated29
10-08-2009, 01:38 PM
It was 72 yesterday. Snowing today. Fine by me

Poor bwady cant frow football well in snow. Wandys deep speed is no good. Wesly Welker unabwle to cut shawp in snow.

broncosteven
10-08-2009, 01:39 PM

I am guessing a Finesse team that wants to work on timing would want to stay in a bubble.

Physical teams want to be physical everywhere.

oubronco
10-08-2009, 01:40 PM
Physical teams want to be physical everywhere.

I am so glad we can say this for the Broncos again

Meck77
10-08-2009, 01:42 PM
Good. Shanny was notorious for canceling practice because of rain let alone snow.

County Club Shanny is officially closed for business.:slapsilly

Eldorado
10-08-2009, 02:34 PM
Awesome.

HEAV
10-08-2009, 02:37 PM
Remember that soft team we used to have. That moved inside the bubble when it rained,snowed or the temp drop below 60 degrees...

garandman
10-08-2009, 04:43 PM
It's funny, This guy would be the second coming if somehow we had this start and the Cutler thing never happened. Very likeable person really. I was one who was disgusted with how the offseason went. I always hoped I would be wrong, and damnit I was, and I am thrilled and feel extremely luck we have the "little guy" roaming the sidelines...

maher_tyler
10-08-2009, 04:52 PM
I always thought playing/practicing in the snow was a blast!!

JJG
10-08-2009, 05:23 PM
that sounds awful....

BroncoMan4ever
10-08-2009, 06:17 PM

i seem to remember Mike moving them into the bubble for any inclimate weather at all, regardless of what the actual weather on the gameday was forecasted as.

atomicbloke
10-08-2009, 06:20 PM
I cant imagine how the throwback uniforms will look in the snow if it indeed snows during the game on Sunday.

BMarsh615
10-08-2009, 06:45 PM
Right now, this kid seems to be doing all the right things.

Yep if I had to nit pick and find one thing that kind of rubs me the wrong way about him it would be his arrogance. Shanahan always used to praise his staff whenever the media was giving him compliments. I would like to see McDaniels give his staff a little bit more credit, especially the defensive coaches.

BroncoLifer
10-08-2009, 06:53 PM
I cant imagine how the throwback uniforms will look in the snow if it indeed snows during the game on Sunday.

They will look awesome. Vertically-striped awesome.

listopencil
10-08-2009, 07:00 PM
It's only in the low to mid 70's in the daytime in NorCal. Drops to the 50's or so at night. Getting comfy.

broncosteven
10-08-2009, 07:39 PM
Yep if I had to nit pick and find one thing that kind of rubs me the wrong way about him it would be his arrogance. Shanahan always used to praise his staff whenever the media was giving him compliments. I would like to see McDaniels give his staff a little bit more credit, especially the defensive coaches.

I agree that this rubbed me wrong in the offseason also but now it is the regular season and they are WINNING so as a fan I don't have to like the guy I just want to see the team do well.

RhymesayersDU
10-08-2009, 07:44 PM
You all just wait for the entire team to catch a cold being outside. Then where will your messiah be?

He's still a McDouchebag if there ever was one.

(I kid, I kid) :)

baja
10-08-2009, 07:52 PM
It's hot here.

hambone13
10-08-2009, 08:31 PM

Great point, I actually had the very same thought during the press conferences Sun and Mon.

ghwk
10-08-2009, 08:34 PM
Every starter we had was injured by this time last year. Maybe his conditioning and practice philosophy is paying off.

GoHAM
10-08-2009, 08:42 PM

And this is why I love living in a city where the all time record high is 95.

When in doubt go higher!