PDA

View Full Version : AJ Smith calls out the Chargers.

Killericon
10-07-2009, 07:36 PM
I hope this isn't a repost.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=4539657&categoryid=2378529

lex
10-07-2009, 07:45 PM
I hope this isn't a repost.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=4539657&categoryid=2378529

Even if it is a repost it doesnt matter. Just seeing the word Killericon in the upper lefthand corner is like an angel reading poetry.

Killericon
10-07-2009, 08:06 PM
Hey, man, the search function isn't working for me(on firefox OR IE), so I looked a couple pages back and found nothing.

Mr. Elway
10-07-2009, 08:09 PM
I don't know what's funnier - the Chargers' GM having a meltdown, or Herm explaining how a team *should* be run.

Man-Goblin
10-07-2009, 08:11 PM
High comedy.

cutthemdown
10-07-2009, 08:16 PM
Chargers are imploding, but its nothing a Bronco loss to Pats, then to Bolts won't cure.

Broncos win these next 2 games they could really set the Dolts back.

24champ
10-07-2009, 08:18 PM
Not just Norv Turner's job is on the line. AJ's is as well...

Enter our worst nightmare...Shanny.

Gcver2ver3
10-07-2009, 08:20 PM
Chargers are imploding, but its nothing a Bronco loss to Pats, then to Bolts won't cure.

Broncos win these next 2 games they could really set the Dolts back.

this...

and only this...

boltaneer
10-07-2009, 09:51 PM
I agree with Herm.

While I don't care for AJ's style to air stuff in the media, that's his style. It's been that way since he's been here so this is nothing surprising or new. But the team definitely needs to be called out so in that regard, I agree with him.

ZONA
10-07-2009, 09:53 PM
Shanny isn't going to SD, they won't pay him enough. And why would it be our worst nightmare? We'd know their defense and special teams would suck LOL

strafen
10-07-2009, 09:55 PM

Enter our worst nightmare...Shanny.In the realm of all possibilities, this is not too far fetched
Shanny would take that job in a heartbeat ROFL!

boltaneer
10-07-2009, 10:01 PM
My money is on Shanahan going to the Redskins. He makes no sense coming to San Diego.

Natedog24
10-07-2009, 10:01 PM

Hopefully Washington will be interested in Shanny this offseason as well. They would easily win a bidding war with SD for Shanny, but I could also see Shanny taking less money to go to a far more talented SD team and to stay closer to home.

Orange_Beard
10-07-2009, 10:04 PM
I still can't believe they brought Norv back after an 8-8 season. They should have grabbed up Chuckie.

24champ
10-07-2009, 10:09 PM
My money is on Shanahan going to the Redskins. He makes no sense coming to San Diego.

Yeah he is going to the Chargers, it makes perfect sense to me. Norv can't get you guys over the hump.

He isn't going to the Redskins...Snyder has too much control.

boltaneer
10-07-2009, 10:10 PM
Gruden is a very likable personality (he's awesome on MNF) but I think he's a bit overrated. Kiffin's defense was the strength in Tampa Bay. Gruden is a so-called quarterback guru but his quarterbacks and offenses have stunk outside of Rich Gannon.

I'd still probably take him over Norv just because I don't care for Norv but I'm pretty sure the Chargers offense (especially Rivers) wouldn't be what it is today. The one thing even Norv haters can't deny is that he has helped develop Rivers into one of the best QBs in the NFL.

boltaneer
10-07-2009, 10:12 PM
Yeah he is going to the Chargers, it makes perfect sense to me. Norv can't get you guys over the hump.

He isn't going to the Redskins...Snyder has too much control.

You think Shanahan would have control here?

AJ Smith may be getting some heat these days but I'd be shocked if they got rid of him this soon. AJ's the man in charge for the forseeable future.

24champ
10-07-2009, 10:20 PM
You think Shanahan would have control here?

He would have some control, yes. I don't think AJ has won any Super Bowls in the NFL.

uplink
10-07-2009, 10:27 PM

The buzz all over town in DC is that the skins are going to go with Holmgren.
IMO if shanny accepts working with a GM then he will be with the chargers or cowboys(I guess Jones is like a GM).

baja
10-07-2009, 10:55 PM

I would love that rivalry twice a year. That would be the best thing to happen in the AFC West in a long time. Hopefully Al Davis will pass the torch and Oakland can become a proud franchise once again likewise KC can see competitive games again. I love good football games and a strong AFC West would cause that to happen.

Josh McDaniels is going to be the cream of the coaching crop for the foreseeable future and a compeitive AFCW would be truly awesome.

BMarsh615
10-07-2009, 10:58 PM
I would love that rivalry twice a year. That would be the best thing to happen in the AFC West in a long time. Hopefully Al Davis will pass the torch and Oakland can become a proud franchise once again likewise KC can see competitive games again. I love good football games and a strong AFC West would cause that to happen.

Josh McDaniels is going to be the cream of the coaching crop for the foreseeable future and a compeitive AFCW would be truly awesome.

I don't want Shanahan in this division. I have to much admiration for him, and I don't want to have to hate Shanny.

hambone13
10-07-2009, 10:58 PM
IMO if shanny accepts working with a GM then he will be with the chargers or cowboys(I guess Jones is like a GM).

I don't see how Shanny can demand what he's always had given his record w/ it. Shannahan is a peoples man...he'll go where he can get along w/ ownership and they pay him. I think Dallas and Chicago are the most likely. He's a midwesterner. He'd love to complete his career w/ the QB he believed in.

Florida_Bronco
10-07-2009, 10:59 PM

I'll say it again. I'd L-O-V-E for Shanny to go to San Diego, especially since it's a near certainty that Slowik will be joining him as the DC. We would be truly blessed by the almighty football gods if McDaniels got to face a Slowik led, division rival defense twice a year.

I pray to all major and minor deities that this happens.

24champ
10-07-2009, 11:07 PM
especially since it's a near certainty that Slowik will be joining him as the DC.

No it's not.

JJJ
10-07-2009, 11:17 PM
This is just running per script. San Diego implodes in the first half and Denver in the second half. Just like last year.

We are 4 games in. I knew this board would go apeshiat with an expected 3-0 start but beating Dallas has sent you a little over the edge a little too early.

In 10 days you will likely be 4-2 and the Bolts 3-2.

If at that point you are 5-1 or 6-0 and the Bolts 2-3 then it is pretty safe to say the tides have turned.

Florida_Bronco
10-07-2009, 11:27 PM
No it's not.

You're right. He only tried to hire Slowik to be our DC at least once before hiring him to be our DB coach and then fast tracking him to the DC job and now dragging him all over the league seeing how other teams do things.

Me and you both know that if Shanny comes back, Slowik will be his DC. The only way I could see this not happening is if the GM/Owner refuses to have Slowik in that position, which is very possible.

24champ
10-07-2009, 11:33 PM
dragging him all over the league seeing how other teams do things.

Doesn't mean he is the DC.

Me and you both know that if Shanny comes back, Slowik will be his DC.

Or he could be the assistant head coach/secondary coach.

Florida_Bronco
10-07-2009, 11:40 PM
Doesn't mean he is the DC.

Or he could be the assistant head coach/secondary coach.

What else would Shanny stick him with? Like I said, we know that Shanny tried to hire Slowik as the DC at least once either before or after Ray Rhodes (maybe both) and then when he finally got him as a DB coach, he didn't waste any time canning both Coyer and Bates to get Slowik in that seat.

If Shanny wasn't the king of nepotism, yeah I might buy that, but the fact remains Shanny has been dragging Slowik with him everywhere and we know they have been friends for quite some time.

****, I'll even be happy with Shanny taking the Chargers even if Slowik doesn't come along. At this point, my money is on McDaniels.

broncocalijohn
10-07-2009, 11:47 PM

enter our dream.....Slowick.

I listened to 1090 to see how SD was reacting to their start and this was the main topic. Some callers called out Merriman for not having his surgery sooner. Of course Hacksaw was there to protect Merriman for not going under the knife as surgery is a serious thing but forgot to mention the millions he is making for sitting and then hobbling out there trying to be 100%.

Florida_Bronco
10-07-2009, 11:48 PM
enter our dream.....Slowick.

:thanku:

24champ
10-07-2009, 11:50 PM
we know that Shanny tried to hire Slowik as the DC at least once either before or after Ray Rhodes (maybe both) and then when he finally got him as a DB coach, he didn't waste any time canning both Coyer and Bates to get Slowik in that seat.

So let me get your speculation straight, Shanny canned Coyer then canned Bates so he could hurry up and promote Slowik?:kiddingme

Why not just hire Slowik from the get go?

Florida_Bronco
10-08-2009, 12:05 AM
So let me get your speculation straight, Shanny canned Coyer then canned Bates so he could hurry up and promote Slowik?:kiddingme Slowik hired in 2005.

Coyer fired in 06. Slowik promoted to DC with Bates Assistant HC/Defense or whatever the **** his title was.

6 weeks or so into the 07 season Slowik is given control of the defense, Bates leaves rather than take demotion to LB coach.

Why not just hire Slowik from the get go? Because we already had Coyer.

boltaneer
10-08-2009, 12:17 AM
The Shanahan talk is cracking me up. He has about as much chance coming to the Chargers as he does going back to the Raiders.

24champ
10-08-2009, 12:25 AM
Slowik hired in 2005.

Coyer fired in 06. Slowik promoted to DC with Bates Assistant HC/Defense or whatever the **** his title was.

6 weeks or so into the 07 season Slowik is given control of the defense, Bates leaves rather than take demotion to LB coach.

Because we already had Coyer.

Yeah but why bring in Bates at all if he was in a hurry to put Slowik in charge of the defense?

If Shanny gets a job, I suspect that Bobby Turner will be poached away and join Shanahan as OC.

baja
10-08-2009, 12:30 AM
The Shanahan talk is cracking me up. He has about as much chance coming to the Chargers as he does going back to the Raiders.

What if he puts together a group and buys the Chargers team ever think of that? Then he moves them to LA. ;D

Florida_Bronco
10-08-2009, 12:35 AM

A guy can hope though.

Yeah but why bring in Bates at all if he was in a hurry to put Slowik in charge of the defense? Hell if I know. What I DO know is that Shanny basically canned one of the better and most respected DC's in the game six weeks into his first season and turned over control to his buddy Slowik and was poised to bring Slowik back this year despite the fact that the 08 defense was far worse than the 07 defense.

If Shanny gets a job, I suspect that Bobby Turner will be poached away and join Shanahan as OC. Maybe, maybe not. I have doubts about that because Shanny's offensive coordinators are basically nothing but his offensive wingmen that help out while Shanny does the bulk of the work. I think if Turner leaves the Broncos he'll want a larger role than he would get with Shanny calling the shots.

Also, we don't even know if Turner wants an OC job. I don't believe he's even considered it since Miami tried to hire him for that role in 04 or 05 I believe.

Kaylore
10-08-2009, 12:46 AM
Slowik had to undermine the other coaches by brown nosing Shanahan and the players to turn them against the coordinators to take their jobs. Once he was in control he and his suck settled in.

The 2009 Broncos are a perfect example of how much coaching can make a difference. We have some new starters, yes. But were any of the starters we brought in thought to be elite? Half were backups at their previous teams and all of their previous teams let them walk, even Dawkins.

This year should kill of the few people defending Slowik. I get that it was really a defense of Shanahan because his being here at all was an indictment of Shanahan, but the defense was on Slowik. He built, he schemed it, he coached and he called the starters. And it was a carbon copy of suck that it was in Green Bay. Every weakness, every horrible tendency, every blown coverage, every historically bad record set was replicated in it's exactness from Green Bay to here.

That the defense is so much better is evidence of the quality of Nolan and the staff that McDaniels assembled. It is also proof positive that Slowik wasn't a victim of circumstance, but in fact an incompetent coach who got a job because of favoritism.

I cherish the day that guy and his entire staff left town. He is continuing to follow Shanahan like the leech he is, too. I hope and pray that this time away from football, and especially the success McDaniels had with his former team, will show Shanahan how horrible Slowik is and encourage him to detach himself from him for the rest of his professional career.

24champ
10-08-2009, 12:50 AM
Hell if I know. What I DO know is that Shanny basically canned one of the better and most respected DC's in the game six weeks into his first season and turned over control to his buddy Slowik and was poised to bring Slowik back this year despite the fact that the 08 defense was far worse than the 07 defense.

You don't know, if he wanted to promote Slowik so quickly like you said. He wouldn't have bothered with hiring Bates. I do agree that the firing of Bates was too early.

Maybe, maybe not. I have doubts about that because Shanny's offensive coordinators are basically nothing but his offensive wingmen that help out while Shanny does the bulk of the work. I think if Turner leaves the Broncos he'll want a larger role than he would get with Shanny calling the shots.

Also, we don't even know if Turner wants an OC job. I don't believe he's even considered it since Miami tried to hire him for that role in 04 or 05 I believe.

So which is it? Turner doesn't want an OC job or if he leaves he wants an expanded role in the offense? He is a Shanny guy, and the reason he is still with the Broncos is because of Pat Bowlen told McDaniels he wasn't to do anything with Turner and Dennison. I wouldn't be surprised to see those two bolt for wherever Shanny ends up.

Kaylore
10-08-2009, 01:10 AM
In a Q&A many years ago at fan fair, Turner mentioned that he was offered OC jobs but didn't want to leave Denver b/c of family and because he likes his job. He does interview with people interested out of respect, however. I know he interviewed with the Saints a few years ago.

broncocalijohn
10-08-2009, 01:51 AM
Slowik had to undermine the other coaches by brown nosing Shanahan and the players to turn them against the coordinators to take their jobs. Once he was in control he and his suck settled in.

This year should kill of the few people defending Slowik. I get that it was really a defense of Shanahan because his being here at all was an indictment of Shanahan, but the defense was on Slowik. He built, he schemed it, he coached and he called the starters. And it was a carbon copy of suck that it was in Green Bay. Every weakness, every horrible tendency, every blown coverage, every historically bad record set was replicated in it's exactness from Green Bay to here.

kaylore, you brought a great stat and article on the suckness of slowick. I believe it was the summer before he had his first TC. If you can find it, it deserves to be bumped. Maybe Summer of 07?

TonyR
10-08-2009, 06:07 AM
San Diego shake-up could be coming
Posted by Mike Florio on October 8, 2009 7:26 AM ET

The recent comments from Chargers G.M. A.J. Smith regarding the performance of the team he built weren't merely idle chatter.

Smith and the coaching staff apparently are serious about taking action on the fly to fix the problems that have plagued the team.

According to the San Diego Union-Tribune, Smith is "spending time on the phone" with other teams, possibly in the hopes of swinging one or more trades before the October 20 deadline. (And given linebacker Shawne Merriman's comments from Wednesday, his contract status, and the general vibrations coming from the organization suggesting that he won't be part of the team's future, Merriman possibly could be on the block.)

The Union-Tribune also reports that there's a feeling within the locker room that defensive jobs are "up for grabs." Defensive coordinator Ron Rivera reportedly sent that message to his troops earlier this week.

"I think it was the best thing for our defense," cornerback Quentin Jammer told the Union-Tribune. "You get your [rear end] run through like that, it puts everything in perspective, and I think we'll be better for it. There is going to be changes. You change the way you approach things, change the way you do things. I think it was the best wake-up call for us."

It remains to be seen whether the changes result in any changes in the on-field product when the Chargers return to action on October 19, with a Monday night visit from the Broncos.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/10/08/san-diego-shake-up-could-be-coming/

_Oro_
10-08-2009, 06:10 AM
So which is it? Turner doesn't want an OC job or if he leaves he wants an expanded role in the offense? He is a Shanny guy, and the reason he is still with the Broncos is because of Pat Bowlen told McDaniels he wasn't to do anything with Turner and Dennison. I wouldn't be surprised to see those two bolt for wherever Shanny ends up.

Nope. The reason Turner and Dennison are here is that they were the only good coaches on the staff.

TonyR
10-08-2009, 06:17 AM

Very true, the landscape can change very quickly in a coupld of weeks in the NFL. Just remember last year how quickly our insurmountable lead evaporated. And the Bolts get us at home after a bye which gives them quite a double advantage.

NYBronc
10-08-2009, 06:19 AM
<A HREF="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4540915">SAN DIEGO</A> -- Chargers outside linebacker Shawne Merriman wasn't pleased to read a comment from general manager A.J. Smith that the team's play at times this year has been "soft and bewildered."

The Chargers lost 38-28 at Pittsburgh on Sunday night, falling behind 28-0 and allowing the defending Super Bowl champions to pile up 497 yards of offense. San Diego is 2-2 going into its bye week, and already is two games behind the Denver Broncos in the AFC West.

Merriman

On Wednesday, Smith was quoted in The San Diego Union-Tribune as saying, "Everything is wrong with it right now. I'm not the least bit happy in a lot of areas. I've seen us be tough and physical to soft and bewildered."

Merriman at first declined to comment, which would have been a first in his five-year career.

"I don't know too much of that. That's an opinion of a person, and it's not needed," Merriman said. "We know that we have to play better. We met for an extra hour and a half as a defense as a whole to discuss what we need to do and things we need to do to get better. And we're going to make adjustments in this locker room as far as players and our attitudes and getting after people a little more. But all that extra [stuff] is not needed at all."

Merriman said it would be easier to absorb such talk if it came from a teammate.

"The only opinions that matter to me are the ones in this locker room. Anything else, it doesn't matter," he said.

AFC West blog
ESPN.com's Bill Williamson writes about all things AFC West in his division blog.

• Blog network: NFL Nation

Merriman returned to the lineup this season after knee surgery sidelined him for the final 15 games of 2008, plus two playoff games. He's been in and out of the lineup this season as he works to regain full strength, and has been affected by a groin injury he said he got from overcompensating for the knee injury.

The Chargers clearly missed Merriman's spark last year, when they finished 8-8 and won the AFC West in large part because of Denver's historic collapse. After beating Indianapolis at home in the wild-card round, the Chargers were exposed by the more physical Steelers in losing a divisional-round playoff game in Pittsburgh.

Merriman had 39 sacks his first three seasons; he's still waiting for his first sack this season.

Merriman said the Chargers are lacking an attitude.

"When you play with an attitude you want to finish plays," he said. "Playing with just a nasty attitude, that's something that has to be gained around here. And it's not happening right now -- but I could say that as a player because I'm going on the field. We say that in the locker room as players. We say that to each other."

Nicknamed "Lights Out" because of his hard hits, Merriman said he's willing to shoulder the responsibility of the Chargers playing with more attitude and aggression.

"I don't mind being at fault for that," he said. "I've talked to several players on defense, and we all met, like I said, an extra hour, hour and a half, after the time we were supposed to be here, to get that fixed. We know that as players, we know that in the locker room and hopefully that we're going to keep talking among players and keep it here."

Smith didn't return a call from The Associated Press seeking comment.

Asked about Smith's comments, coach Norv Turner said: "I expressed my thoughts on Monday about that game. We're getting ready for Denver. We're addressing the things we need to do to play better against Denver."

The Chargers host the Broncos on Oct. 19.

Garcia Bronco
10-08-2009, 06:34 AM

If Bill Parcells couldn't turn the Cowboys around, then Mike Shanahan isn't going to be able to.

TonyR
10-08-2009, 07:18 AM
If Bill Parcells couldn't turn the Cowboys around, then Mike Shanahan isn't going to be able to.

To be fair to the Tuna, I think he had them going in the right direction but Jones chased him away before the job was done. But I agree that Shanahan isn't the cure all that many here think he is. I don't think he has nearly the reputation around the league that some believe, and I don't think there will be a huge demand for him. This is a what-have-you-done-for-me-lately business and Shanahan doesn't have a deep well of recent success.

BroncoInferno
10-08-2009, 07:25 AM
If Shanny gets a job, I suspect that Bobby Turner will be poached away and join Shanahan as OC.

The fact that Turner has never landed an OC job despite the success of his running backs leads me to believe that he must not be a great X's and O's guy. Just because he is a great RB coach does not mean he would be a great play-caller, and the fact that he has never been promoted to OC even when when their were openings on the team leads me to believe this is the case. Either that, or he simply does not care to be an OC. Some coaches are content in lesser roles.

BroncoInferno
10-08-2009, 07:28 AM
Also, 24champ, Shanny ain't going to San Diego. If Shanny decides to coach next season, I'd bet my house he ends up with the Cowboys. Jones will pay him out the wazoo in addition to the fact that he will inherit a pretty talented roster.

kamakazi_kal
10-08-2009, 07:29 AM
Shanny isn't going to SD, they won't pay him enough. And why would it be our worst nightmare? We'd know their defense and special teams would suck LOL

Your kidding yourself if you think Shanny won't be successful wherever he ends up. I for one want him in the NFC.

kamakazi_kal
10-08-2009, 07:33 AM

When you have an owner/GM, coaches like Parcells or Shanny won't go there. They want final say on players and trades.
Besides the Cowboys have their next coach on staff in Garrett already.

TonyR
10-08-2009, 07:33 AM
Your kidding yourself if you think Shanny won't be successful wherever he ends up.

What makes you so sure of this? The one playoff win in his last 10 years as a head coach?

I loved Mike Shanahan and appreciate everything he did for the organization but I'm far less certain than you that he has a lot of NFL glory ahead of him. This is a young man's league and he's no longer a young man.

BroncoInferno
10-08-2009, 07:34 AM
the reason he is still with the Broncos is because of Pat Bowlen told McDaniels he wasn't to do anything with Turner and Dennison.

Not true. McDaniels had full authority to pick his own staff. He kept Turner and Dennison because they have been very successful in their roles and were the only two holdover coaches worth a damn.

Florida_Bronco
10-08-2009, 10:57 AM
Not true. McDaniels had full authority to pick his own staff. He kept Turner and Dennison because they have been very successful in their roles and were the only two holdover coaches worth a damn.

Actually it is true that McD initially didn't plan on keeping Turner.

Killericon
10-08-2009, 11:16 AM
I think, ultimately, what killed Shanny was that he got comfortable.

Do you guys think that a Shanahan, freshly motivated in a new job with a new team, after a year of studying and planning, isn't much more dangerous than a Shanahan who was told that he had a job with the team as long as he wanted?

Shanahan's gonna be amazing, where he ends up.

Actually it is true that McD initially didn't plan on keeping Turner.

Yeah, but he kept him in the end.

oubronco
10-08-2009, 11:23 AM
What makes you so sure of this? The one playoff win in his last 10 years as a head coach?

I loved Mike Shanahan and appreciate everything he did for the organization but I'm far less certain than you that he has a lot of NFL glory ahead of him. This is a young man's league and he's no longer a young man.

Tom Coughlin?

oubronco
10-08-2009, 11:25 AM
I think, ultimately, what killed Shanny was that he got comfortable.

Do you guys think that a Shanahan, freshly motivated ina new job with a new team, after a year of studying and planning, isn't much more dangerous than a Shanahan who was told that he had a job with the team as long as he wanted?

Shanahan's gonna be amazing, where he ends up.

Yeah, but he kept him in the end.

Yes and No the big if is does he keep Slowick

400HZ
10-08-2009, 11:49 AM
<A HREF="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4540915">SAN DIEGO</A> -- Chargers outside linebacker Shawne Merriman wasn't pleased to read a comment from general manager A.J. Smith that the team's play at times this year has been "soft and bewildered."

The Chargers lost 38-28 at Pittsburgh on Sunday night, falling behind 28-0 and allowing the defending Super Bowl champions to pile up 497 yards of offense. San Diego is 2-2 going into its bye week, and already is two games behind the Denver Broncos in the AFC West.

I think the main person that A.J. should be bitching about is Ron Rivera. Really though he shouldn't be saying anything. He doesn't like some of the mental midget players that we have, well, he is the one who brought them in and failed to create contingency depth behind them. Calling out the players might give them a kick in the ass towards the right direction, but he's really just highlighting his own failure.

On a side note, seeing what some of these players put on Twitter really illuminates how stupid they are.

TonyR
10-08-2009, 12:09 PM
Tom Coughlin?

My point is a generalization, and there are exceptions to almost every rule.

Even so, Coughlin hasn't gone ten years with only one playoff win. Why would a guy closing in on 60 suddenly improve dramatically?

Orange_Beard
10-08-2009, 12:26 PM
Gruden is a very likable personality (he's awesome on MNF) but I think he's a bit overrated. Kiffin's defense was the strength in Tampa Bay. Gruden is a so-called quarterback guru but his quarterbacks and offenses have stunk outside of Rich Gannon.

I'd still probably take him over Norv just because I don't care for Norv but I'm pretty sure the Chargers offense (especially Rivers) wouldn't be what it is today. The one thing even Norv haters can't deny is that he has helped develop Rivers into one of the best QBs in the NFL.

He has done a good job with Phillis.

The chuggers really lack fire. They simply don't show up ready to play. Last week was classic, where were they in the first half? How can you not be ready to play the Superbowl champs on national TV? The chuggers have some pieces in place, they just don't have the the mental state to be champs, that comes from the coach.

Eldorado
10-08-2009, 01:48 PM
I hope we curb-stomp those ****ers.

boltaneer
10-08-2009, 02:15 PM
I think the main person that A.J. should be b****ing about is Ron Rivera. Really though he shouldn't be saying anything. He doesn't like some of the mental midget players that we have, well, he is the one who brought them in and failed to create contingency depth behind them. Calling out the players might give them a kick in the ass towards the right direction, but he's really just highlighting his own failure.

On a side note, seeing what some of these players put on Twitter really illuminates how stupid they are.

I disagree with the Rivera bashing, though he really doesn't seem to be impressive with his playcalling.

But the players are just not executing and they're not winning their one on one battles. I can't fault Rivera for that.

JJJ
10-08-2009, 02:38 PM
He has done a good job with Phillis.

The chuggers really lack fire. They simply don't show up ready to play. Last week was classic, where were they in the first half? How can you not be ready to play the Superbowl champs on national TV? The chuggers have some pieces in place, they just don't have the the mental state to be champs, that comes from the coach.

This is 100% correct.

24champ
10-08-2009, 02:41 PM

That's how it is percieved in public, but behind the scenes Bowlen saw to it that Turner and Dennison will stick around.

400HZ
10-08-2009, 05:15 PM
I disagree with the Rivera bashing, though he really doesn't seem to be impressive with his playcalling.

But the players are just not executing and they're not winning their one on one battles. I can't fault Rivera for that.

It's Rivera's defense. Why should he get a pass when we all blamed Cottrell for basically this same crap? The difference between then and now is that Cottrell had enough talented players to make up for a lot of things while Rivera probably does not. Rivera needs to get his guys on the same page. It's more than just one-on-one battles. I have never, ever, ever seen so many wide receivers wide open with nobody near them or run lanes six feet wide as I did last week. Maybe the personell isn't what it once was, but there is still no excuse for the mass confusion that has been occuring on that side of the football.

BroncoLifer
10-08-2009, 05:23 PM
I don't want Shanahan in this division. I have to much admiration for him, and I don't want to have to hate Shanny.

Cosign. I don't ever want to feel like a GB fan watching Favre in Minnesota. And Shanny in SD would be that for me.

boltaneer
10-08-2009, 05:45 PM
It's Rivera's defense. Why should he get a pass when we all blamed Cottrell for basically this same crap? The difference between then and now is that Cottrell had enough talented players to make up for a lot of things while Rivera probably does not. Rivera needs to get his guys on the same page. It's more than just one-on-one battles. I have never, ever, ever seen so many wide receivers wide open with nobody near them or run lanes six feet wide as I did last week. Maybe the personell isn't what it once was, but there is still no excuse for the mass confusion that has been occuring on that side of the football.

Cottrell refused to blitz and enjoyed dropping Merriman regularly into coverage.

Rivera is trying to blitz but the blitz has been pretty ineffective. The main problem with the coverage is Cromartie and Hart. Rivera needs to pull the trigger and start Cason, who has been playing well. Move Cromartie to nickel. Hart needs to be benched in favor of Oliver (or Ellison if he's up to speed). I don't know what the deal is with Kevin Burnett. He was all over the field making plays in pre-season before he got that neck stinger. I hope the injury is still bugging him and he can go back to his old form.

One positive is that English is improving every week. With Merriman being ineffective with his knee and groin injuries, it's making the decision to not re-sign him more attractive. But I think they'll franchise him next year at the least and either get one more year out of him or pull off a trade.

misturanderson
10-08-2009, 06:22 PM
That's how it is percieved in public, but behind the scenes Bowlen saw to it that Turner and Dennison will stick around.

And you know this how?

GoHAM
10-08-2009, 07:31 PM
One thing I've always liked about Herm, he's an innovator. Don't believe me? In that segment around the 49 second mark, he just coined a new word: FLUSTRATION. Herm woke up this morning and was reflecting about his head coaching career, trying to sum it up in one word. The more he thought about he just couldn't decide between "flustered" or "frustration". Finally in the throes of a demonstrative fit it came to him: "FLUSTRATION". Herm thought to himself "Damn, this word is sweet! I must use it in my public forum so I can bless the world with its greatness." I also like how he kept repeating that it is the GM's responsibility to fix the problems. Really Herm, that's why you sucked as a HC? And all this time I thought it was because of you.

Killericon
10-08-2009, 09:07 PM
And you know this how?

Because he was behind the scenes, duh.

24champ
10-08-2009, 09:16 PM
And you know this how?

People in the know have told me.

I also found out a respected member of this board confirmed this. So I can only assume it to be true.

MplsBronco
10-08-2009, 09:43 PM

Oh yeah, shaking in my boots. Give me a break.