PDA

View Full Version : SI Cover Story Excerpts

Rock Chalk
10-07-2009, 02:52 PM
Im not going to type the whole article, just some interesting points...

"Nolan and McDaniels stress situational football and attention to detailk. They review particular situations so regularly in practice that defenders feel they can see a play developing before it happsn. The second of Dumervil's two sacks on Sunday is an example. The coaches had preached during the week that whenever Romo comes off his primary read, he usually checks down to the running back. So the Broncos decided to take awway the back by dedicated a linebacker to cover him. Midway through the third quarter, Dallas had a first-and-10 on its own 31. Romo dropped back, looked for his first option, then checked to running back Rashard Choice (sic), who wasn't open. That gave Dumervil the time to swoop in for the sack

And another tidbit

A similar scenario played out when teh Cowboys had the ball at the Broncos' two-yard line, trailing by only seven with 9 seconds to play. Nolan had emphasized during the week that if there were more defenders than blockers on the side of the formation that featured multiple receivers, Romo would look to the other side of the field, where he had a single receiver.

Folks, that's ****ing awesome preparation right there. There is more but you should find the whole article.

2KBack
10-07-2009, 02:53 PM
That is great stuff.

Rock Chalk
10-07-2009, 02:55 PM
Well we know why he went after Champ at the goal line. We forced him into that situation because we knew what was going to happen.

2KBack
10-07-2009, 02:58 PM
Is it blasphemous to say that the 2009 Broncos are better coached than the 2008?

Rock Chalk
10-07-2009, 02:59 PM
Is it blasphemous to say that the 2009 Broncos are better coached than the 2008?

I think its blatantly obvious at this point.

Br0nc0Buster
10-07-2009, 03:02 PM
That is impressive

Once the offense gets rolling this team can be very dangerous

I also recommend the NFL video about Marshalls TD catch

It points out this theme because you could here Josh tell Kyle some things that tipped him off to what they were gonna do

Mr. Elway
10-07-2009, 03:03 PM
Wow, good stuff. And as was previously noted, Champ then baited him to throw it underneath.

It's funny because it was so unexpected and nerve wracking for me when the Cowboys had that freak play to get down to the red zone, and now to realize how well prepared our players were to deal with that situation.

Garcia Bronco
10-07-2009, 03:06 PM
"What is your form?"

"To have no form."

-Bruce Lee, Enter the Dragon

Broncosfreak_56
10-07-2009, 03:06 PM
The defenders must have been laughing when the cowboys lined up to run the same play on fourth down. They knew exactly what was coming.

USMCBladerunner
10-07-2009, 03:08 PM

No, because they are. This is not a pure slam on Shanahan, because "better coached" entails all the position coaches and coordinators. But from a holistic, all phases, four quarters, all situations included, the Broncos are better coached than in 2008.

This is not only not blasphemous, but it is precisely the point in firing the head coach and bringing in someone else in the first place. You don't just shake the tree to make things interesting, you do so to affect positive change. The early results are quite encouraging.

Bronco Yoda
10-07-2009, 03:18 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v30/netizen/Bronco%20Avs/untitled1.jpg

Broncosfreak_56
10-07-2009, 03:20 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v30/netizen/Bronco%20Avs/untitled1.jpg

Do you not agree our coaching is good? I don't understand the context of this picture.

Archer81
10-07-2009, 03:23 PM
Do you not agree our coaching is good? I don't understand the context of this picture.

we are all drinking the koolaid...

and its delicious.

:Broncos:

Rulon Velvet Jones
10-07-2009, 03:24 PM
That's pretty sick. Next step is lining up and running the opponents plays against them, by name, snapcount and everything. You too, Manning.

Broncosfreak_56
10-07-2009, 03:25 PM
we are all drinking the koolaid...

and its delicious.

I like the purple drank.

Archer81
10-07-2009, 03:26 PM
I like the purple drank.

Well no. You can never go wrong with purple. Orange is pretty good, too. Sometimes red. Electric blue needs to be avoided.

Bronco Yoda
10-07-2009, 03:28 PM
I meant it that some of us who have been open minded and positive no longer have to justify our positive outlook.

Yes McD, Nolan and Co. are doing a great job! I doubt we'll be able to keep Mike Nolan around much longer the way he's turned things around so quickly.

colonelbeef
10-07-2009, 03:30 PM
I think its blatantly obvious at this point.

defensively.

2008 offense was miles ahead of this one at this point

Archer81
10-07-2009, 03:32 PM
defensively.

I'd say the entire team. Coaching is there. Execution isnt yet.

gunns
10-07-2009, 03:45 PM
defensively.

And it doesn't even matter. I'd say this team is better coached than several Bronco teams in the 2000's.

Broncosfreak_56
10-07-2009, 04:00 PM
I meant it that some of us who have been open minded and positive no longer have to justify our positive outlook.

Yes McD, Nolan and Co. are doing a great job! I doubt we'll be able to keep Mike Nolan around much longer the way he's turned things around so quickly.

Ok my bad. I thought you were implying something else.

bpc
10-07-2009, 04:03 PM
Shanahan can't hold McDaniels jock. I can't wait to see what he's doing in year 15.

jayman_37
10-07-2009, 04:15 PM
That is a great job by Nolan to scheme that way. Very impressed.

Houshyamama
10-07-2009, 04:16 PM
Shanahan can't hold McDaniels jock. I can't wait to see what he's doing in year 15.

Easy now

Bronco Yoda
10-07-2009, 04:17 PM
Nolan is a class act. He'll be a head coach again. Let's just hope not for a few years.

Rock Chalk
10-07-2009, 04:48 PM

Aren't you the same asshole neg repping every post of mine when I predicted good things this offseason? Yes you are.

Wes Mantooth
10-07-2009, 04:51 PM

4-0 so no.

outdoor_miner
10-07-2009, 05:06 PM
Aren't you the same a-hole neg repping every post of mine when I predicted good things this offseason? Yes you are.

My sarcasm detector was beeping on that one, although it was pretty faint. I'm going to assume it was a defense of Shanahan against the people claiming McD is already a superior coach after only 4 games.

I kind of agree that we may be getting ahead of ourselves, but it is still pretty cool to see all of McD's philosophies paying off in such a short amount of time. Hopefully, the trend continues.

baja
10-07-2009, 05:29 PM
No, because they are. This is not a pure slam on Shanahan, because "better coached" entails all the position coaches and coordinators. But from a holistic, all phases, four quarters, all situations included, the Broncos are better coached than in 2008.

This is not only not blasphemous, but it is precisely the point in firing the head coach and bringing in someone else in the first place. You don't just shake the tree to make things interesting, you do so to affect positive change. The early results are quite encouraging.

I think it is more a case of losing the team, somehow Shanny lost that 2008 team. That is the only explanation for what happened the last 3 games.

Can you imagine this McD team losing three with three to go to lose the division?

baja
10-07-2009, 05:32 PM
That's pretty sick. Next step is lining up and running the opponents plays against them, by name, snapcount and everything. You too, Manning.

Considering Josh's skill that is being reviled as the season goes forward I wonder if the day will come that Cutler will kick himself for bailing on us.

Irish Stout
10-07-2009, 05:47 PM
Is it possible to find this article online or do I need to truck it down to the magazine store?

Irish Stout
10-07-2009, 05:50 PM
Nevermind, found it:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1161008/1/index.htm

Hercules Rockefeller
10-07-2009, 05:59 PM
Wonder who the local reporter is that told Holliday he's going to be playing with a bunch of bums?

tsiguy96
10-07-2009, 06:04 PM
defensively.

go watch the second raiders game and tellme that was well coached.

play call: drop back, roll out, throw to marshall (covered by nmandi and a safety)

KipCorrington25
Wonder who the local reporter is that told Holliday he's going to be playing with a bunch of bums?

Josina obviously. :afro:

Florida_Bronco
Folks, that's ****ing awesome preparation right there. There is more but you should find the whole article.

Agreed.

Thanks for the posting that. Rep for you.

cutthemdown
10-07-2009, 06:05 PM
I'd stop giving away the secrets they figure out. Why help teams? Put a lid on it and lets win them all.

Florida_Bronco
10-07-2009, 06:06 PM
I'd stop giving away the secrets they figure out. Why help teams? Put a lid on it and lets win them all.

I don't think this gives anything away.

Boobs McGee
10-07-2009, 06:13 PM
Nolan is a class act. He'll be a head coach again. Let's just hope not for a few years.

I dunno...He seems to have done an EXCELLENT job as a D coordinator, I"m hoping that the SF experience soured him a bit.

No doubt he'll think about it, but after being with The Best Organization in The League for a few years, I'd hope he'd want to stay forever ;D

Not sure how that usually works though.

Anyone know the percentage of coordinators that turn into H.C.'s then back to D coord. then BACK to H.C's ?

atomicbloke
10-07-2009, 06:24 PM
Anyone know the percentage of coordinators that turn into H.C.'s then back to D coord. then BACK to H.C's ?

I know of one who has a HC, and got fired. Then he became a position coach, but was soon fired again.

Then he was hired as the OC of a team that eventually won the super bowl.

Which finally landed him another HC gig. And he did quite well this time, winning 2 super bowls.

So it is not without precedent.

Que
10-07-2009, 06:33 PM
Aren't you the same a-hole neg repping every post of mine when I predicted good things this offseason? Yes you are.

RC - you are such a beat down with this whole I was right and you were wrong thing. Just sit back and enjoy where we are right now....

lostknight
10-07-2009, 08:19 PM
It will be tough to keep Nolan around if we are moderately successful this year.

bpc
10-07-2009, 08:32 PM

I neg rep you because you're a dumbass, regardless of the POV you have.

You could be backing Shanahan and I would think you're a dip****. Same goes if you feel that way about McDaniels.

The bottom line is we have a chance to win all four of these games WITH Shanahan and Cutler at the helm. I want McDaniels/Nolan/the defense/Orton to prove their metal over the next 12 because there aren't many gimme games coming up.

I HOPE WE WIN THEM ALL but we could be 4-4 by the halfway point. We got a lot of breaks early this year.

And for those bashing Shanny, we'll see how McDaniels is doing 15 years down the road. Again, I hope he's a hall of fame head coach in the making for us. STILL, to be winning 15 years from now like Shanahan was, that would be quite a feat and not many coaches can match his fire. We'll see.

tsiguy96
10-07-2009, 08:35 PM
whaaaaaa whaaaaaaaaa

how anyone can NOT be happy with the direction of the team is beyond me. theres no gaurantee shanny wins any of those with the atrocious "defense" he would have put out there. but again, we were only a couple players away.....same with cutler, he tends to lose as many games as he wins with turnovers and dumb throws. chicago finally got a leash on him (and yes, i have been watching hte games and they actually have him making smart, low risk decisions)

Rock Chalk
10-07-2009, 08:52 PM

You could be backing Shanahan and I would think you're a dip****. Same goes if you feel that way about McDaniels.

The bottom line is we have a chance to win all four of these games WITH Shanahan and Cutler at the helm. I want McDaniels/Nolan/the defense/Orton to prove their metal over the next 12 because there aren't many gimme games coming up.

I HOPE WE WIN THEM ALL but we could be 4-4 by the halfway point. We got a lot of breaks early this year.

And for those bashing Shanny, we'll see how McDaniels is doing 15 years down the road. Again, I hope he's a hall of fame head coach in the making for us. STILL, to be winning 15 years from now like Shanahan was, that would be quite a feat and not many coaches can match his fire. We'll see.

Im a dumbass because I am right more often in one week than you have been in 5 years?

Haterade bitch. You negged repped me for one reason Chris. You love Slap and I don't and you are butthurt cause I dont kiss his ass like you do.

Oh, and Cutler ****ing sucks and you are still butt hurt over it.

I todl you Denver would win win win and you negged repped me calling me a homer idiot you ****ing douche-tastic-dil-do.

bpc
10-07-2009, 09:00 PM
whaaaaaa whaaaaaaaaa

how anyone can NOT be happy with the direction of the team is beyond me. theres no gaurantee shanny wins any of those with the atrocious "defense" he would have put out there. but again, we were only a couple players away.....same with cutler, he tends to lose as many games as he wins with turnovers and dumb throws. chicago finally got a leash on him (and yes, i have been watching hte games and they actually have him making smart, low risk decisions)

You're the next biggest idiot on this bandwagon.

Who isn't happy as a Bronco fan? We're 4-0. Of course i'm happy. I love watching this defense, and a team that's playing mistake free football. I'm not looking back at what Shanahan WOULD have done, you dumbasses are. You keep trying to throw out flavorful articles or things trying to discredit Shanny, showing what a great coach McDaniels is compared to him. To sit there and try to heighten your position against Shanahan is just dumb and that's why most on the Pro-McDaniels/Anti-Cutler side try to inflame the situation.

It's great to be happy with what McDaniels has done. I think all Bronco fans should be.

We don't know what Shanny, Cutler and company would have done against the past four foes but I would venture to say that Cutler would have been the most talented player on the field in all those games so I would have picked us against any of those teams and we probably would have won.

The next 12, well, that will be a different story. I hope we dominate and win em' all. One can hope. Regardless, let's not go bashing Shanahan all the way throughout the season. It's stupid. Shanahan had a great 15 year tenure in Denver which brought us two championships, multiple division titles and many hall of fame type players.

Shanny is gonna get his next year. I hope we get our championships as well.

tsiguy96
10-07-2009, 09:07 PM
the only person who referenced shanahan before you was saying this team is better coached than last years, and anyone who has seen any game from the two years will agree. maybe last years OFFENSE was firing better than this years, but the defense was an absolute train wreck. good coaching doesnt make DJ publicly state that the defense felt like "second class players". this year the team is CLEARLY better coached, most obviously in special teams and defense. the offense is NOT losing games and not turning the ball over (atleast not often, i think we have 2 lost fumbles). they are playing smart football, so while maybe the chemistry is off or ortons accuracy is off (glove? who knows) or whatever it is, thats only 1/3 of the team. the other 2/3 are leagues beyond last years, no question.

but then, go ahead and keep looking to the past.

bpc
10-07-2009, 09:26 PM
Im a dumbass because I am right more often in one week than you have been in 5 years?

Haterade b****. You negged repped me for one reason Chris. You love Slap and I don't and you are butthurt cause I dont kiss his ass like you do.

Oh, and Cutler ****ing sucks and you are still butt hurt over it.

I todl you Denver would win win win and you negged repped me calling me a homer idiot you ****ing douche-tastic-dil-do.

Ha ha ha, the fact is, you don't know **** about football. Your analytical takes on the game and x's and o's are stupid as hell. I'd laugh all the way through them if I bothered to read them. However, I want my IQ to stay as is.

I thought you would get it by now... Alas, asking a monkey to understand basic principles of football is tough to do combined with the fact that you've never played the game, what's to be expected? Go on couch QB, keep throwing your darts blindfolded and celebrate REALLY hard if what you think happens to come true. Bottom line is, we're 4-0, 1/4 through the season and THE easiest part of our schedule. We could in theory drop 9 of the next 12. Cutler is going to lead the Bears to the playoffs, minus Brian Urlacher. They could go farther than Denver towards the Super Bowl.

The difference between you and I is that I won't be rubbing everybody's face in it because i'll be generally disappointed if we don't do well.

BTW, does is burn to know 98% of this forum would throw you out on your ass if it meant that Slap would come back and post here? I'm serious. Your desperation is at extreme levels where once again, you have to invoke Slaps name to try and get yourself over. Slap > alec

Not many people like you, most think you're a idiot drunkard who rants his ass off for no apparent reason. You could off yourself tomorrow and nobody would miss you. The internet tough guy act that you try to put on really is just a ruse to hide your pathetic reality.

Fact.

Enjoy your night sucker. Hopefully there's a few t-bags in store for you at home.

tsiguy96
10-07-2009, 09:41 PM
bpc's posts reached epic lows earlier this year, but they keep getting worse. explain.

Durango
10-07-2009, 10:13 PM

Exactly. Beating Dallas was a shocker to many, including me, but I think just about everyone thought Denver would at the very least be somewhere between 3 & 1 and 2 & 2 at this point. The next 8 tell the real story, and I'm hoping the Broncos win every single one, but I seriously doubt we post a winning record in that stretch.

Paladin
10-07-2009, 10:59 PM
defensively.

In 2008, the O was pedestrian after the third game. Lost the last three games to lose the playoff spot. C'mon. Get real and tell the whole truth.......

Florida_Bronco
10-07-2009, 11:01 PM
Ha ha ha, the fact is, you don't know **** about football. Your analytical takes on the game and x's and o's are stupid as hell. I'd laugh all the way through them if I bothered to read them. However, I want my IQ to stay as is.

I thought you would get it by now... Alas, asking a monkey to understand basic principles of football is tough to do combined with the fact that you've never played the game, what's to be expected? Go on couch QB, keep throwing your darts blindfolded and celebrate REALLY hard if what you think happens to come true. Bottom line is, we're 4-0, 1/4 through the season and THE easiest part of our schedule. We could in theory drop 9 of the next 12. Cutler is going to lead the Bears to the playoffs, minus Brian Urlacher. They could go farther than Denver towards the Super Bowl.

The difference between you and I is that I won't be rubbing everybody's face in it because i'll be generally disappointed if we don't do well.

BTW, does is burn to know 98% of this forum would throw you out on your ass if it meant that Slap would come back and post here? I'm serious. Your desperation is at extreme levels where once again, you have to invoke Slaps name to try and get yourself over. Slap > alec

Not many people like you, most think you're a idiot drunkard who rants his ass off for no apparent reason. You could off yourself tomorrow and nobody would miss you. The internet tough guy act that you try to put on really is just a ruse to hide your pathetic reality.

Fact.

Enjoy your night sucker. Hopefully there's a few t-bags in store for you at home.

Wow.

bpc
10-08-2009, 12:11 AM
bpc's posts reached epic lows earlier this year, but they keep getting worse. explain.

Epic lows? Why? Because I disagreed with you? Please.

Kaylore
10-08-2009, 12:59 AM
The bottom line is we have a chance to win all four of these games WITH Shanahan and Cutler at the helm.

False for a few reasons.

1. We would still be soft.

2. ST coverage would suck and no doubt Cribbs would have taken at least one TD back against us.

3. We would have wasted our draft on a bunch of defenders that didn't pan out which means no Moreno, probably no Buckhalter either. We probably start the season Ryan Torain who gets hurt in the Cincy game and that's inept again.

4. Most of all this guy
http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/55256/Bob_Slowik_copy.jpg

Taco John
10-08-2009, 01:15 AM
We would have drafted Moreno in the first round with Shanahan here.

Not that it matters. McDaniels is here and we're 4-0.

baja
10-08-2009, 01:41 AM

Why do you think that? Ever since TD Shanahan fancied himself the expert at finding RB talent on the second day. He wore it as a badge of honor it seemed. It was obvious Portis was going to be special yet he traded him like he was chopped liver. Yes we got a great player but Shanny had to believe he could plug and play at the HB position. I really Shanny doubt Shanny would use the 12 pick on a RB.

24champ
10-08-2009, 01:42 AM

Considering that Shanahan gave serious thought to drafting Maroney, and last year Stewart high on his list too. I think it's a real possibilty Moreno would have been drafted under Shanny.

baja
10-08-2009, 01:47 AM

Why do you think that? Ever since TD Shanahan fancied himself the expert at finding RB talent on the second day. He wore it as a badge of honor it seemed. It was obvious Portis was going to be special yet he traded him like he was chopped liver. Yes we got a great player but Shanny had to believe he could plug and play at the HB position. I really Shanny doubt Shanny would use the 12 pick on a RB.

broncocalijohn
10-08-2009, 01:58 AM
Considering Josh's skill that is being reviled as the season goes forward I wonder if the day will come that Cutler will kick himself for bailing on us.

if BMarsh can come back and learn this form and enjoy being a Bronco again, couldnt Jay have done the same thing? Seems BMarsh has become more of a man than Cutler and I didnt think i would be able to say that. Those two embrassing in the post game conference said it all.

BTW, where has :blueflame been on all of this great pro McDaniels discussion?

broncocalijohn
10-08-2009, 02:00 AM

why fight it. TJ isnt right on many predictions/opinions and seems to craft it his way on "what ifs" just like Lex does with his Top 10 draft pick of 2008 after getting Clady on the 12th wasnt good enough or we would have picked him at 8th. Revised history also works.

Pat Bowlen
10-08-2009, 02:56 AM
It was obvious Portis was going to be special yet he traded him like he was chopped liver.
What?

bpc
10-08-2009, 08:37 AM
HB would have been a very real possibility at one but I think we would have used the pick on defense in this hypothetical situation.

Deep down inside, we all know that if we don't sustain the injuries we did at HB, IF IF IF Hillis stays healthy, we make the playoffs last year. I think that would have pushed Hillis into the starting lineup this year as well and we could have saw a running attack similar to when Mike Anderson/Reuben Drougns in the backfield, with better hands.

BTW, I hated Slowik as much as everybody else but he really didn't have crap to work with in the front 7 and when we lost DJ and Champ for the season, it really crippled the defense sending it from possibly average to terrible.

As TJ said, it's all in the past so does it really matter now? I wish we could drop all this BS comparing McDaniels to Shanahan 4 games into his tenure.

Personally I'm loving that we're 4-0, I love Mike Nolan at DC, I love a scheme that maximizes Doom and Champ and I love the presence that Dawkins and other free agent additions have brought this offseason. I just hope our offense can get up to speed and really boost this teams confidence.

I'm about as excited about this game at home this weekend as any i've I can remember in a long time.

Bottom line, GO BRONCOS!!!!

Beantown Bronco
10-08-2009, 08:48 AM
Deep down inside, we all know that if we don't sustain the injuries we did at HB, IF IF IF Hillis stays healthy, we make the playoffs last year.

As much as I'd like to believe that, I keep coming back to the fact that Hillis was completely healthy for the loss against the Raiders.

Kaylore
10-08-2009, 09:12 AM
BTW, I hated Slowik as much as everybody else but he really didn't have crap to work with in the front 7 and when we lost DJ and Champ for the season, it really crippled the defense sending it from possibly average to terrible.

And some people are still in denial about this guy. Unbelievable.

DarkHorse30
10-08-2009, 10:30 AM

Why worry about it?

Nolan may like where he's at . The NFL is littered with "good coordinator/questionable HC" examples (Lebeau, Wade Phillips, Norv Turner, etc.)

azbroncfan
10-08-2009, 10:37 AM

No. Denver has a young bright coach who is hungry to prove himself and shanny was in burnout mode if you asked me and wasn't as hungry as MCD. Not to mention I am sure Nolan wants another shot at a HC gig and he has been calling an outstanding game. Infact my best friend who is a Seattle friend commented He thought Nolan called a great game blitzing when needed and playing coverage when needed.

Taco John
10-08-2009, 05:10 PM
Why do you think that?

Because we lost 112 runningbacks to injury last season, and Moreno is a prototypical Shanahan runningback. I think it's a no-brainer. There is no way I believe that Shanahan would have passed on Moreno, especially where he fell to us. Given our runningback issues, and given our offensive style, and given that he fell into our laps, I believe that it's a no-brainer.

If I was inclined, I'd go back into my post history from last year where I started to make the case that we should go runningback in round one. I was told that I was absolutely out of my mind because our primary needs are on the defensive line. It turned out that those people were the ones praising the loudest when we drafted a runningback in round one.