PDA

View Full Version : How many Wins to Take the AFC West

v2micca
10-06-2009, 06:54 PM
San Diego is off to what has been their typically slow start but you can't seem to fully count them out it seems as the season wears on. Denver has had a hot start but it remains to be seen if we can keep up the pace. Oakland and Kansas City are lost causes at this point. So, in a two team race, how many wins is it going to take to win the AFC west this year?

Punisher
10-06-2009, 06:57 PM
It will take 9 to win the Division but where gonna win 16

Kid A
10-06-2009, 07:29 PM
Consensus would seem to say 10. If SD gets it together on defense it might be 11. Their schedule is reasonable from here on out.

baja
10-06-2009, 07:54 PM

baja
10-06-2009, 07:55 PM
Less actually because of us sweeping them

HAT
10-06-2009, 09:14 PM
Their schedule is reasonable from here on out.

Negative.......SD has only 6 more wins on the schedule. And that's giving them a split with Denver which might be a reach.

Denver
@KC
Oak
KC
CLE
Wash

To answer the OP.....9 takes the AFC but I'm upping my original Denver prediction from 10 to 12.

Rock Chalk
10-06-2009, 09:25 PM
Negative.......SD has only 6 more wins on the schedule. And that's giving them a split with Denver which might be a reach.

Denver
@KC
Oak
KC
CLE
Wash

To answer the OP.....9 takes the AFC but I'm upping my original Denver prediction from 10 to 12.

Im pretty sure SD is going to beat Tennessee.

HAT
10-06-2009, 11:30 PM

Tennessee is the ultimate head-scratcher at the moment.

I know alot of people who went down in flames last weekend thinking TEN "can't possibly go 0-4"...(and they may well go 0-6...Indy & NE are on deck). Luckily, I wasn't one of them.

However, They have only played one home game thus far.

Their biggest problem is they can't seem to score points in the 4th Q. All 8 of their 4th Q points came in garbage time vs. Jax LW.

They were shutout in the 4th of their other 3 losses that they lost by a combined 13 points. That can be fixed. IF Fisher doesn't lose the team first.
And he very well might if they end up at 0-6 with a brewing QB controversy.

That being said....If I had to bet it now, I'd play Tennessee up to -4 given that they are home on Christmas day vs. a west coast team.

SouthStndJunkie
10-06-2009, 11:45 PM
I think it will take 10 wins to win the AFC West.

BroncoMan4ever
10-06-2009, 11:49 PM
i think 9 games wins it. SD is a turd factory and is nowhere near as good as they are made out to be. this season is going to resemble last year and i wouldn't be surprised if SD went 8-8. so i say 9 wins gets us into the playoffs.

however if SD does get their act together and we keep up at the high level of play we are at, then it will take as many as 11 wins.

Taco John
10-06-2009, 11:51 PM
9 games.

SPORTSWRITER
10-07-2009, 01:30 AM
Starting the season with 4 straight wins really gives this team an edge the rest of the way! Even if the Broncos win only 6 of the remaining 12 games, season record would be 10-6, which should AT LEAST clinch a playoff birth!

I've got to believe we'll win at least 7 or 8 more, as I'm trying not to be overly optimistic; however, we're UNDEFEATED right now, so I say "keep it up!" Heck we could end up being 19-0 and be the only team in NFL history to win that many in one season! There I go again being overly optimistic....but maybe not!!:)

Popps
10-07-2009, 01:35 AM
I'd say 10. We have a brutal schedule, but SD has it tough, as well.

If we go .500 from here out (which won't be easy) .... we'd be 10-6, and I think that cold get it done if we have divisional advantage over the Dolts.

But, as I said... going .500 against Pitt, NE, Indy, NYG, SD etc. won't be easy.

EDIT: Just saw above post. Repetitive on my part, but I agree with the sentiments.

UberBroncoMan
10-07-2009, 05:10 AM
I wanted to say 10 but something makes me think 11... San Diego gets to GIMMIES with Miami and Tennessee to our New England and Indy... lucky ****ers.

It's going to come down to two things.

Will Denver get its offense finally going or will San Diego get their defense on track before that.

Whoever does this first will win the division.

gtown
10-07-2009, 07:36 AM
It's going to come down to two things.

Will Denver get its offense finally going or will San Diego get their defense on track before that.

SD is really vulnerable right now. They can't stop the run with the injuries they have had on the DL, as well as someone turning down the lights on Merriman (maybe he has a dimmer). My point is, their defense sucks.

On the other hand we have a complex offense, a new QB, and a new coach. I think we improve on O throughout the season quicker than SD's defense stops sucking. Our issue is scheme, there issue is injuries and personnel.

TheDave
10-07-2009, 07:46 AM
9 wins... to be honest 8-8 probably gets it done.

The Chargers have officially been "Norv'd"

zdoor
10-07-2009, 07:50 AM

If Tennessee can keep SD's offense in check early they'll be able to run on SD. i think it could be close...

Mr. Elway
10-07-2009, 07:57 AM
The Chargers are done. They have not drafted well in several years and they lost a dominant nose tackle and RB. They have a good passing game and return game but that's not going to get it done against good teams. Their window has closed and the decline is well under way.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
10-07-2009, 08:01 AM
10 wins. I still think it takes 10 wins.

San Diego showed last year (and the year before) that they can get hot late, and if some of their key guys get healthy, they can be very dangerous.

10 wins.

SD might win 8-9.

TotallyScrewed
10-07-2009, 08:08 AM
At this point it looks like 8-8 will be enough to beat out SD. 4-12 is enough to beat out Oaks and 1 and 15 is enough to beat out KC.

jhns
10-07-2009, 08:08 AM
We will need 6 wins.

The oak and kc won't win more than 5, which is obvious. The chargers have a pattern going and haven't convinced me it won't continue. 06 = 14 wins, 07 = 11 wins, 08 = 8 wins, 09 = 5 wins. It is their destiny.

The Joker
10-07-2009, 08:14 AM
Chargers are so much less physical than they were when Norv came in. They're still a decent team, but they're soft.

What they do have is a very good QB, and I think that gives them a shot in most games they play in. Their schedule from here on is easier than ours too, with Pittsburgh and Baltimore already out of the way and New England and Indy nowhere to be found on there.

I think they get 8 or 9 wins, probably 9.

Garcia Bronco
10-07-2009, 08:18 AM
No way. The Chargers aren't done. They are the best 4th Quarter team in the league.

11 wins get's the crown

GoBroncos DownUnder
10-07-2009, 08:23 AM
IF we split with SD and we win the mandatory AFC West games 2vKC and 1v oakland.
I think 10 wins will seal the deal, which means we will only need 2 more wins against: NE - Pit - Bal - NYG - Was - Phi - Ind.

Washington are EASILY beatable, and I swear the ENTIRE city of Pittsburgh is shaking right now! ;)

Rohirrim
10-07-2009, 08:29 AM
I figure 9 games will take it.

Old Dude
10-07-2009, 08:46 AM
Chargers D is 28th against the run right now. 24th overall. With two losses already in the bag, can a team with that kind of defense finish 8-4?

Their schedule isn't all that easy. They've got Denver twice, the Giants, Eagles and Cowboys. Plus Cincy and Tennessee, both of whom have pretty dangerous rushing offenses.

The Bolts are also 32d in rushing, which is kinda shocking.

It's early, the schedules haven't been balanced, and they've been without LT for a good part of their season, but if this is the top rival for winning the division (and who else could even qualify at this point?), then you've got to think that 10 wins will take the AFC West.

For Denver, that means .500 ball from here on out.

It can be done.

gtown
10-07-2009, 09:19 AM
I'm think SD splits with us, and lose to three of the four NFC East teams. They also lose to one of Cinci/Tennessee. On top of that I am willing to bet they lose a game where they are favored, such as at KC. That's six more losses, meaning they finish 8-8.

This means we have to go less than .500 the rest of the way to win the division. That is still a big if in my mind. I think this is how the games play out:

NE (loss)
at SD (loss)
at Bal (loss)
Pitt (win)
at Was (win)
SD (win)
NYG (loss)
at KC (loss)
at IND (loss)
Oak (win)
at Phi (loss)
KC (win)

That equates to 9-7, which is amazing given what so called experts were predicting just a month ago.