PDA

View Full Version : The hug heard around the league

TonyR
10-06-2009, 01:42 PM
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on October 6, 2009 7:05 PM ET

The image that will stick in my cranium the longest from the fourth Sunday of football in 2009 didn't take place on the field.

It happened on a podium in Denver, when Brandon Marshall interrupted Josh McDaniels' press conference for a man hug in front of the assembled media.

This wasn't one of those hands clasped with a few light pats on the back affairs. Marshall enveloped his smaller coach like he was a long, lost family member.

McDaniels seemed to be temporarily at a loss for words after the embrace, but he set a record for the biggest smile ever recorded by a member of the Belichick coaching tree.

"Well, there you go," McDaniels said, with laughter in the room.

It was a remarkable moment considering that Marshall was suspended indefinitely only five weeks ago.

"He's just one of us," McDaniels said. The line out of Denver is that Marshall's displeasure a month ago was always about money, never about the organization.

"You never heard me say anything about [McDaniels] coaching or what he brings to the organization," Marshall said.

McDaniels on Marshall's rocky ride: "I'm not going to comment on where [Marshall] was, but he is one of us. Our team loves him, we love him and I think he loves being part of this team."

Marshall's steady improvement on the field, highlighted by his truly awesome game-winner against the Cowboys, has essentially erased an offseason of bad vibes. And possibly set him up for a big payday, quite possibly in Denver.

Since getting caught on taping acting like a petulant kid in late August, Marshall deserves a bit of credit for doing things the right way since.

He's been short with the media (when he's spoken to them at all), but he's said all the right things about team play as he was worked back into the lineup slowly. More importantly, he's reportedly had great practice habits over the last few weeks.

When his teammates and coach laud Marshall's work habits, we take the news with a grain of salt. When Fox's Troy Aikman says on air that Marshall's Friday practice was the best practice effort he saw since playing with Michael Irvin, well, that speaks louder.

Unlike Marshall's Sunday counterpart Roy Williams, no one has ever questioned Marshall's passion for football. His inability to control his emotions away from football are what have mostly put him in trouble.

For now, the only emotion coming out of Denver is happiness.

So next offseason, when some wacko wide receiver is making life impossible for his new coach and some team is getting buried by media hacks like us for a miserable offseason, remember the '09 travails of Marshall and the Denver Broncos.

And remember that playing winning football can cure just about anything.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/10/06/the-hug-heard-around-the-league/

The Joker
10-06-2009, 01:47 PM
I was so pleased for McDaniels, you could see the guy was just brimming with genuine happiness in the Dallas postgame interview.

After the flack he took in the offseason you can't help but be thrilled for the guy.

Smiling Assassin27
10-06-2009, 01:53 PM
Let's hope BM has gotten over the hump and we now see exponentially better grasp of the offense, cuz if he becomes Randy Moss-like, this team takes another leap forward.

Archer81
10-06-2009, 01:53 PM
A Bellichek disciple showing genuine human emotion...surely a sign of the endtimes...

:Broncos:

Archer81
10-06-2009, 01:55 PM
Let's hope BM has gotten over the hump and we now see exponentially better grasp of the offense, cuz if he becomes Randy Moss-like, this team takes another leap forward.

Which will open underneath routes for Sheff, Royal and Gaffney...

Smiling Assassin27
10-06-2009, 01:57 PM
A Bellichek disciple showing genuine human emotion...surely a sign of the endtimes...

It's like the Terminator letting one single tear roll down his cheek...touching, yet nonsensical.

http://www.bestweekever.tv/bwe/images/2009/06/SAD-ROBOT-PARTY-3.jpg

baja
10-06-2009, 01:57 PM
I was so pleased for McDaniels, you could see the guy was just brimming with genuine happiness in the Dallas postgame interview.

After the flack he took in the offseason you can't help but be thrilled for the guy.

+1

I love my Broncos and what I love the best is I don't need to justify anything. Like the signing of Dale Carter or the litney of other losers and bad acts that Shanahan paraded through here.

GoBroncos DownUnder
10-06-2009, 02:03 PM

"The end is nigh!" LOL

If Marshall works hard, and everything works out I will be ecstatic!

NYBronco
10-06-2009, 02:57 PM
Anyone have the video?

It was good to watch. The team can do nothing but benefit from it.

Williams
10-06-2009, 03:09 PM
Anyone have the video?

It was good to watch. The team can do nothing but benefit from it.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/

Go to the video tab... fifth one down.

GoBroncos DownUnder
10-06-2009, 07:11 PM
http://www.denverbroncos.com/

Go to the video tab... fifth one down.
Thanks.

The "hug" wasn't that big of a deal!
But I'm now OVER 100% sold on McDaniels. During the whole post game interview he DID NOT pause during his answers, didn't use cliches and spoke directly.
IMO, it's a sign of intelligence if you can talk well under pressure. McD is only 33 and he's facing (barbed) questions from the media.:thumbsup:

Soul-Bronco
10-06-2009, 07:28 PM
You can really see Mcdainels character in those post-game interviews!!!! screw all those less educated sports writers who claimed turmoil in the locker room!! FAIL FOR THEM!!

Broncos 4 life!!!

cutthemdown
10-06-2009, 08:35 PM
We got ourselves a really good coach people. This kid might grow up as our coach. He could be here for 10 yrs. Players love him, his old boss Belicheck still loves him, and I think we should also.

BMarsh615
10-06-2009, 08:42 PM
Why don't we have a gif of this yet?

Broncoman13
10-06-2009, 08:44 PM
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on October 6, 2009 7:05 PM ET

When his teammates and coach laud Marshall's work habits, we take the news with a grain of salt. When Fox's Troy Aikman says on air that Marshall's Friday practice was the best practice effort he saw since playing with Michael Irvin, well, that speaks louder.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/10/06/the-hug-heard-around-the-league/

WOW!!!!!!

I remember thinking last year that Brandon could become a team leader. The offense followed him. The receivers would wait for him to come and lead them in every drill... he was first and they gave him that respect. I thought then that if he could practice like a Terrell Owens he would in fact take his game to another level. I never got a chance to watch Michael Irvin practice, but I've heard that he was insane and gave the best effort imaginable... if BMarsh is even close to that I'm impressed. If he's willing to put out that type of effort, it really is time to pay the guy. Whether you like Michael Irvin or not, you can agree that he was a gamer and so is BMarsh.

HAT
10-06-2009, 09:07 PM

That's McCheatriot to you Kenney. Bite your tongue!

baja
10-06-2009, 09:54 PM
We got ourselves a really good coach people. This kid might grow up as our coach. He could be here for 10 yrs. Players love him, his old boss Belicheck still loves him, and I think we should also.

Yep just call him Josh.... We're one big happy family ;D

Dr. Broncenstein
10-06-2009, 09:59 PM
Let's hug it out, biatch...

Mr. Elway
10-06-2009, 10:17 PM
Not to rehash the past but I find it funny how different the actual McDaniels is from the nefarious character depicted here by some on this board this summer. He actually seems like a very nice, engaging guy who relates well to the players.

Archer81
10-06-2009, 10:22 PM
Its nice to see. When was the last time a Broncos player ran in and hugged Shanahan after a win at his press conference? Players must have a good handle on who Josh is to do something like that.

strafen
10-06-2009, 10:25 PM

After the flack he took in the offseason you can't help but be thrilled for the guy.A sign of good things to come...
Best thing Marshall could've done to regain my trust and earn his way back into the starting line-up

strafen
10-06-2009, 10:25 PM
Not to rehash the past but I find it funny how different the actual McDaniels is from the nefarious character depicted here by some on this board this summer. He actually seems like a very nice, engaging guy who relates well to the players.And I think that's what Marshall has finally realized too...

baja
10-06-2009, 10:28 PM
Its nice to see. When was the last time a Broncos player ran in and hugged Shanahan after a win at his press conference? Players must have a good handle on who Josh is to do something like that.

Now we have the big/little man in the team room.

Natedog24
10-06-2009, 11:52 PM
Really remarkable how McDaniels got Marshall back into the fold so quickly and so thoroughly.

BroncoMan4ever
10-06-2009, 11:58 PM
Which will open underneath routes for Sheff, Royal and Gaffney...

with him turning it up and the defenses beginning to key on him as the playmaker to stop it is going to open up routes for Eddie and we can expect a return to last seasons form by him.

DomCasual
10-07-2009, 12:31 AM
It may sound goofy, but I'm glad he's our coach.

baja
10-07-2009, 12:43 AM
Why would that sound goofy

BroncoDoug
10-07-2009, 12:51 AM
It may sound goofy, but I'm glad he's our coach.

Precisely, look at the other canidates that we brought in to look at. Now I know each team situation is different, but Rahim Morris with TB..they were almost a playoff team last year and are now challenging for the #1 draft pick, they look bad. And Steve Spagnulo (sp?) with STL, they were horrible last year, but are even worse this year if that is at all possible...

cutthemdown
10-07-2009, 01:02 AM
Precisely, look at the other canidates that we brought in to look at. Now I know each team situation is different, but Rahim Morris with TB..they were almost a playoff team last year and are now challenging for the #1 draft pick, they look bad. And Steve Spagnulo (sp?) with STL, they were horrible last year, but are even worse this year if that is at all possible...

Not to mention had we went with Spagnulo you could kiss hiring Mike Nolan goodbye.

We would probably be 0-4 right now.

BMarsh615
10-07-2009, 01:21 AM
Not to mention had we went with Spagnulo you could kiss hiring Mike Nolan goodbye.

Spags and Raheem Morris were my two favorite candidates. :rofl:

These were the three coaches I didn't want period.

1. Jason Garrett
2. Josh McDaniels
3. Rex Ryan

Spags and Morris likely wouldn't have last 3 years here. I can see McDaniels here for a long time.:)

fontaine
10-07-2009, 06:00 AM

I'm not so sure about that. Yes he's done very well in the offseason in putting together a good talented team but almost all the credit should go towards Nolan who's taken a far less talented bunch of players, in a new system and in one offseason is getting them to play fundamentally sound football.

McDaniels had far superior talent on offense, argueably the best RB from the draft and the passing offense is still way off. It's getting there but if our defense was average (and remember that would have been an achievement we would have settled for), then we'd probably be 1-3 by now and McDaniels wouldn't be looking so hot.

Broncomutt
10-07-2009, 06:37 AM
Pretty sure McStalin was just interested in "purging" all the talent on this team.

This is all a ruse.

TonyR
10-07-2009, 06:40 AM
Not to rehash the past but I find it funny how different the actual McDaniels is from the nefarious character depicted here by some on this board this summer. He actually seems like a very nice, engaging guy who relates well to the players.

And there were actually some stories that suggested this but of course they were buried and ignored in the feeding frenzy of negativity and overreaction.

TonyR
10-07-2009, 06:42 AM
...but almost all the credit should go towards Nolan...

And who hired Nolan? And who made the calls on Dawkins, Hill, Goodman, Fields, McBean, Holliday, etc.?

lex
10-07-2009, 06:49 AM

This is just silly.

dbfan21
10-07-2009, 07:12 AM

+1...my sentiments exactly!

long beach bronco
10-07-2009, 07:25 AM
With those other coaches, we might still have had a decent record because our offense would still have Cutler, and our defense would be at least better than last years. I'm just glad we are where we are.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
10-07-2009, 08:08 AM
With those other coaches, we might still have had a decent record because our offense would still have Cutler who would be trying to do too much and throwing picks like it was going out of style and maybe our defense would be at least better than last years. I'm just glad we are where we are.

/fixed

TheDave
10-07-2009, 08:44 AM
I must be dead inside...

That whole thing looked awkward to me.