PDA

View Full Version : Broncos V. New England

TheDave
10-06-2009, 08:32 AM
So what does everyone think...

I've picked Den to win the 1st 4 weeks but I'm having a real hard time picking them this week.

Brady is playing much better and as we all saw it is against NFL policy to sack him...

Both Moss and Welker will be "healthy"...

Easily the best defense we have played all year...

I'm having a tough time believing that Hoodie Sr doesn't have a final lesson or two for Hoodie Jr...

-On the other hand-

Their offensive line is no where near as good as Dallas, so we should be able to make them 1 dimensional.

Assuming the refs aren't getting a check from the Kraft foundation we should be able to pressure Brady into makeing a few mistakes.

McKidd probably knows N.E. better than he does Den

baja
10-06-2009, 08:38 AM
Right now The Broncos are playing lights out on D and as long as there no injuries I think we can hold NE to under 20 points so the key to this game is the O and Orton needs to make a big step up in the passing game and continue to run the ball well. The kicking game will be a key in this game too and Denver at home is ruling field position.

Easily the toughest game so far but we have a real home field advantage once again and NE always has trouble against Denver in Denver.

If the Broncos can put 21 + points on the board we should pull a win.

It is an old cliché but this is truly one of those games that will come down to who wants it more and my money is on Denver.

tsiguy96
10-06-2009, 08:43 AM
dawkins and davis wont let the D fail. pats have a questionable oline vs a great pass rush, we have a great secondary and champ is playing almost like champ of old, if they can shake brady up early it will help alot. keep a nickel on welker the entire game, our LBs cannot cover him.

SoDak Bronco
10-06-2009, 08:43 AM
Tough matchup for Denver. I would have to say Brady will take advantage of our blitz packages, and find the open WR, dinking dunking down the field and hitting the big plays when they are there. New England will win 28-17

Rock Chalk
10-06-2009, 08:45 AM
Tough matchup for Denver. I would have to say Brady will take advantage of our blitz packages, and find the open WR, dinking dunking down the field and hitting the big plays when they are there. New England will win 28-17

I dont know, the Jets blitzed the hell out of him and he couldnt take advantage of that.

tsiguy96
10-06-2009, 08:46 AM

they couldnt put up 28 against ANYONE else in the NFL this year. what makes you think they will put it up against us, who have allowed a total of 26 points through 4 games?

alkemical
10-06-2009, 08:47 AM
Wes Welker could eat us up.

TheDave
10-06-2009, 08:48 AM
Depending how healthy Moss is I actually like the match-up from a defensive stand point.

Problem is I just can't figure out what our offense is going to do. We should be able to run the ball, then again NE is good at taking away a teams strength. I like the match up of Marshall on Shawn Springs, but we are going to need Royal to get involved more than he has... Other than that, I have no idea.

This match up is real tough to get a read on.

Garcia Bronco
10-06-2009, 08:55 AM
Broncos 3 New England 42

baja
10-06-2009, 08:56 AM
BTW good to see threads like this returning to the mane

SoDak Bronco
10-06-2009, 08:57 AM
they couldnt put up 28 against ANYONE else in the NFL this year. what makes you think they will put it up against us, who have allowed a total of 26 points through 4 games?

We haven't faced a QB like Brady, and I think our defense is more susceptible against the pass then we realize. If Brady is able to utilize quick throws to avoid getting pressure, I think our DB's will have a tough time matching up. I think Champ and Goodmen will do fine, but Brady is able to find those 3,4, and 5th options. I hope Alphonso Smith is back heathly because we will need him thise week.

jhns
10-06-2009, 08:58 AM
I think this is going to be a good game for Orton to shut the haters like me up. New England has a very good run defense and I expect us to have to pass more than we have had to. Our run game is good but I don't see it having a great game against this team.

I'm not sure what to think of their offense vs our defense. If we play like we have been, I doubt they do much. We dominated the Cowboys and they have a very good offense. They shouldn't be able to run the ball a lot. This will be a very good test for the secondary if Brady plays well. He has not looked like himself this season though.

Br0nc0Buster
10-06-2009, 08:59 AM
I felt confident in our first four previous games, this one not so much

If there is a weakness in our defense, Brady and Belichick will find it

Orton is gonna need to play well, if he does I think it will be close though

my guess something like 24-17 Pats

SoDak Bronco
10-06-2009, 09:00 AM
Also, I think Belichek will see how tough our run Defense has been, and will focus on spreading the field, and dinking and dunking and then hitting the big play.

TheDave
10-06-2009, 09:01 AM
I'll tell you what... If we pull off an upset this week, I start talking playoffs. ;D

That's right... I said it.

rbackfactory80
10-06-2009, 09:03 AM
The surprise of this game will be how well we run the ball. We match up well in the secondary also. We shouldn't need to keep too many in the box to stop the run. Our quick defense is what always gave the Pats problems, not Shanahan. Still it will be tight and we must score over 20.

jhns
10-06-2009, 09:06 AM
I'll tell you what... If we pull off an upset this week, I start talking playoffs. ;D

It would make us about 1 win short of the division title. Has any team ever not made the playoffs after a 5-0 start?

crawdad
10-06-2009, 09:06 AM
Moreno will bust off 200 against the Pats. We own NE in Denver! Oh yea of little faith.

TheDave
10-06-2009, 09:08 AM
It would make us about 1 win short of the division title. Has any team ever not made the playoffs after a 5-0 start?

I really went out on a limb with that one... ;D

Traveler
10-06-2009, 09:08 AM
Just so I won't jinx Denver, I'll keep picking against them.

UberBroncoMan
10-06-2009, 09:12 AM

Has any team given up the division with a 3 game leads and 3 games to play?

I don't take historical data at face value anymore.

Mr. Elway
10-06-2009, 09:20 AM
I definitely see this as our toughest outing so far, and I just don't know what to expect. We have the better defense and a lot hinges on our offense being able to move the ball without Bucky, and on getting the ball into Marshall's hands. It could be another nailbiter, but I like our chances with home field advantage.

kamakazi_kal
10-06-2009, 09:20 AM

A win this week vs. the down to earth patriots is very real. The defense is just plain awesome. Pressure on Brady will be a must.

TailgateNut
10-06-2009, 09:27 AM
Has any team given up the division with a 3 game leads and 3 games to play?

I don't take historical data at face value anymore.

I can think of one right "off the bat".

crawdad
10-06-2009, 09:29 AM
I think this is going to be a good game for Orton to shut the haters like me up. New England has a very good run defense and I expect us to have to pass more than we have had to. Our run game is good but I don't see it having a great game against this team.

I'm not sure what to think of their offense vs our defense. If we play like we have been, I doubt they do much. We dominated the Cowboys and they have a very good offense. They shouldn't be able to run the ball a lot. This will be a very good test for the secondary if Brady plays well. He has not looked like himself this season though.

NE is giving up 100 ypg on the ground

TheReverend
10-06-2009, 09:30 AM
I think we're really lucky at the timing of this game.

We've shown we can pressure the crap out of QBs, AND last week Baltimore got some ridiculous penalties which is making the league officials look silly this week. They're going to be extra lenient in this game when it comes to putting Brady on his back. Feast Elvis. Feast.

baja
10-06-2009, 09:31 AM

5 and 0 = 90% chance of making playoffs way to step out on the ledge Dave. LOL

broncofan7
10-06-2009, 09:33 AM
NE is averaging 35 minutes/game in TOP--3rd best in the NFL behind NYG and MIA--they convert 46% of their 3rd downs but they average on 5.2 yards /play.......the key is getting them off of the field and Orton improving his efficiency on 3rd down...........NE averages ~25 1st downs per game(#2 in the NFL) while we manage ~ 19--this game will be won or lost on THIRD DOWN. Orton needs to STEP UP.

trench
10-06-2009, 09:38 AM
Has any team ever not made the playoffs after a 5-0 start?The '03 Vikings didn't make the playoffs after going 6-0...

outdoor_miner
10-06-2009, 09:41 AM
New England always seems to be beatable, yet they find ways to win (which is hopefully how teams will be looking at us over the next few years). Like McDaniels preaches, they find ways to exploit an opponent's biggest weakness. I expect them to try to attack our Linebackers in coverage (our biggest defensive weakness in pre-season) and perhaps attack Goodman when we blitz. On offense, I imagine they'll try to force Orton to beat them, taking away the run and the dinks/dunks.

After watching New England play, they appear beatable. However, how long can our run last? 5-0? I get giddy just thinking about it, which means it probably won't happen.

jhns
10-06-2009, 09:42 AM
NE is giving up 100 ypg on the ground

That isn't bad to give up to entire teams. I have watched them this season and they stuff the run very well. I'm not positive but I bet most of those yards came off a couple of big runs. That would mean they give up the big play sometimes but I don't think we will be successful if we have to rely on the run.

Then again, I haven't watched a complete game with them. Maybe I am just flipping to other games when their run defense falls apart.

baja
10-06-2009, 09:43 AM
NE is averaging 35 minutes/game in TOP--3rd best in the NFL behind NYG and MIA--they convert 46% of their 3rd downs but they average on 5.2 yards /play.......the key is getting them off of the field and Orton improving his efficiency on 3rd down...........NE averages ~25 1st downs per game(#2 in the NFL) while we manage ~ 19--this game will be won or lost on THIRD DOWN. Orton needs to STEP UP.

This is the one time I agree with you

Orton hitting receivers is key to this game. I look for him to step up big, the finger should be OK (he thought last week the glove would come off). He has looked more and more comfortable running the O with each passing week (Think back to pre season and compare that image to last week). He is getting his timing down with the receivers and the wide receivers are also getting more comfortable with the system. One of these weeks the O and Orton is going to breakout for 30+ points and it easily could be this week.

55CrushEm
10-06-2009, 09:43 AM
The '03 Vikings didn't make the playoffs after going 6-0...

The Redskins missed the playoffs in the early 90's after starting 7-0 !!

jhns
10-06-2009, 09:47 AM
The Redskins missed the playoffs in the early 90's after starting 7-0 !!

I would cry for a long time if we started 7-0 and didn't make the playoffs.

trench
10-06-2009, 09:53 AM
The Redskins missed the playoffs in the early 90's after starting 7-0 !!I don't think so. Maybe you're thinking of the team that started 7-1 after losing the first game.

55CrushEm
10-06-2009, 09:58 AM
I don't think so. Maybe you're thinking of the team that started 7-1 after losing the first game.

I'm trying to search it.....I was nearly positive that the Redskins started 7-0 one year.....then finished 9-7 and missed the playoffs.

NYBronc
10-06-2009, 10:12 AM
Denver beat the #1 team in the NFL week 5 in '77. Watch Prater pull a Jim Turner and score on a fake FG. It's destiny.

Garcia Bronco
10-06-2009, 10:44 AM
I'm trying to search it.....I was nearly positive that the Redskins started 7-0 one year.....then finished 9-7 and missed the playoffs.

This was the 1996 season I belive. Norv Turner was the head coach.

55CrushEm
10-06-2009, 10:48 AM
I don't think so. Maybe you're thinking of the team that started 7-1 after losing the first game.

Yes, you are correct......it wasn't a 7-0 start....but a 7-1 start, only to finish 9-7 and miss the playoffs......still very bad. And Garcia is right....it was the 1996 Redskins.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/was/1996.htm?redir

Gort
10-06-2009, 10:49 AM
Hoodie Bowl 2009

NE - 666,666
DEN - 2

a blitzing Dawkins sacks The Brady in the end zone on the first play of the game. Brady throws a fit on the sidelines. the cameras capture it. calls are made from the NFL head office to the officiating crew. from that point on, any defensive player coming within 8 yards of The Brady is flagged for "unsportsmanlike conduct - intimidating a lady QB". 15 yards. defensive player ejected. still, the Broncos hold The Brady without a throwing TD. the NE kicker kicks 222,222 FGs to set a new NFL single game record.

afterward, the NFL Today team discusses the coincidence between the score and the number of the beast. Shannon mumbles to the camera and nods in agreement. Marino stares into the camera and appears confused. Cowher says something incoherent and mispronounces Roethlisberger. Boomer sighs in disgust. however, it's apparently clear to all that The Brady has indeed sold his soul to the devil.

Archer81
10-06-2009, 10:50 AM
I'm confident Denver will be fine. Historically, NE loses to Denver, they always have, and as far as I can remember Brady has only beaten the Broncos in Denver one time. Tough game for sure, but NE is thinking of resigning Junior Seau...Mayo will be out, their best man in the secondary is Merriweather, and their defensive line is minus Seymour. Whats funny about this matchup is the two teams mirror eachother, so whatever would hurt the Broncos would hurt the Patriots. They blitz us, we throw in screens and delayed handoffs, they'd do the same.

:Broncos:

55CrushEm
10-06-2009, 10:53 AM
I'm confident Denver will be fine. Historically, NE loses to Denver, they always have, and as far as I can remember Brady has only beaten the Broncos in Denver one time. Tough game for sure, but NE is thinking of resigning Junior Seau...Mayo will be out, their best man in the secondary is Merriweather, and their defensive line is minus Seymour. Whats funny about this matchup is the two teams mirror eachother, so whatever would hurt the Broncos would hurt the Patriots. They blitz us, we throw in screens and delayed handoffs, they'd do the same.

:Broncos:

Yes, and that was the ONLY time he's ever beaten Denver.....in 2003 against our 3rd string QB, Danny Kanell.....b/c Plummer and Beurlein were both out. Even then, it was a close game.....final TD against Deltha "toast" O'Neal.

Brady is 1-5 lifetime vs. Denver.

DenverBrit
10-06-2009, 10:54 AM
Denver will win this one at home......it's what they do against NE. ;D

sonsofkraftybob
10-06-2009, 10:54 AM
last week Baltimore got some ridiculous penalties which is making the league officials look silly this week. They're going to be extra lenient in this game when it comes to putting Brady on his back. Feast Elvis. Feast.

Doubt it.

Of the 22 RTP penalties this year, 6 have involved the pats. 3 for, 3 against. The Ravens have had 4 RTP penalties.

But please, go ahead and blitz the man especially when we go double slot with Welker and Edelman.

Seriously though, the RTP penalties all even out. You should see 2 of the 3 that Wilfork got on sacks which are even a more strict punishment because not only do they negate a 10-15 yard sack but they give 15 yards...so it's a 30 yard swing and a 1st down.

DenverBrit
10-06-2009, 10:56 AM
Yes, and that was the ONLY time he's ever beaten Denver.....in 2003 against our 3rd string QB, Danny Kanell.....b/c Plummer and Beurlein were both out. Even then, it was a close game.....final TD against Deltha "toast" O'Neal.

Brady is 1-5 lifetime vs. Denver.

And Bellychic was a "genius" for taking the safety.

Would have been the "goat" had O'Neal done his job.

Dagmar
10-06-2009, 11:20 AM
I hope Bucky is fit. If he's not, I lose quite a bit of confidence.

Que
10-06-2009, 11:20 AM
My 3 keys to the game:
1. Denver needs an effective ground game. Sort of a no brainer because that is true for any game. More so at home since a punishing ground attack beats down their Dline and LBs at altitude.

2. Intercept Brady: we need the DB's to pick at least one Brady throw. INTs rattle Brady more than sacks IMHO

3. Field Position: We need our Special Teams to come through strong... again. Field position will rule the day.

(honorable mention) Shut Down Welker

Que
10-06-2009, 11:21 AM
I hope Bucky is fit. If he's not, I lose quite a bit of confidence.

Bet you never thought you'd be saying that 6 weeks ago?? ;) I agree however.

Tombstone RJ
10-06-2009, 11:24 AM
This game will come down to two things: turnovers and special teams. Which ever team excels in those two categories (gets turnovers and protects the ball) probably walks away with a win.

Also, which ever team makes the fewest mistakes, ie penalties, probably wins.

Tombstone RJ
10-06-2009, 11:30 AM
That being said, NE 1 million points, Denver "just happy to be there."

Broncos4tw
10-06-2009, 11:31 AM
I'm more worried about the Ravens, than I am NE to be honest.

If NE can't score 28 on teams that are not the #1 defense in the NFL, I doubt they will do so here. Keep in mind that we have a real heads-up on what they will run. Josh should be able to adjust easily to whatever they do.

It's actually not on our offense, again, this will be on our defense to win.

Paladin
10-06-2009, 11:31 AM
<TABLE class=tborder id=post2585891 cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=5 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR title="Post 2585891"><TD class=thead style="FONT-WEIGHT: normal"></TD></TR><TR><TD class=alt2>Remove user from ignore list (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/profile.php?userlist=ignore&do=removelist&u=8475)
broncofan7 (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/member.php?u=8475) </TD></TR><TR><TD class=alt1>This message is hidden because broncofan7 is on your ignore list (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/profile.php?do=ignorelist).
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Paladin
10-06-2009, 11:45 AM
Buckhalter will not play. Moreno needs to hang on to the ball. Jordon and Hillis may get a few carries. With Marshall back in the game, and Stokes healthy, I think the passing game should be okay, particulaly for the short crossing routes. I would look for Royal to get a catch or three.

Welker on the short crossing routes is the main issue. I would hope DJ and Davis would be awake to that tactic. MOss will likely get one long one. Elvis should get a holding call or three. "Coverage sacks" could be important against NE, making Brady run more than he likes.........

I am looking for a good, entertaining game.....

BABronco
10-06-2009, 11:49 AM
Buckhalter will not play. Moreno needs to hang on to the ball. Jordon and Hillis may get a few carries. With Marshall back in the game, and Stokes healthy, I think the passing game should be okay, particulaly for the short crossing routes. I would look for Royal to get a catch or three.

Welker on the short crossing routes is the main issue. I would hope DJ and Davis would be awake to that tactic. MOss will likely get one long one. Elvis should get a holding call or three. "Coverage sacks" could be important against NE, making Brady run more than he likes.........

I am looking for a good, entertaining game.....

The loss of Buck is huge. I never thought I would say that and didnt think the guy would amount to anything here. Moreno needs to lower his head and work for those hard yards. I'm not sure if he has done that at all, nothing that I can remember atleast. Once he is able to do that he will be a monster.

Paladin
10-06-2009, 11:53 AM
I thought he looked pretty good last Sunday. I look for a semi-breakout game from him with more carries.....

baja
10-06-2009, 12:03 PM
The loss of Buck is huge. I never thought I would say that and didnt think the guy would amount to anything here. Moreno needs to lower his head and work for those hard yards. I'm not sure if he has done that at all, nothing that I can remember atleast. Once he is able to do that he will be a monster.

Why are you assuming Buckhalter will not play, he said he expected to play.

Dagmar
10-06-2009, 12:07 PM
Buckhalter will not play.

Where did you get this nugget of info?

Here?

ESPN's Adam Schefter "doesn't think" Correll Buckhalter (ankle) will be able to play this week.
Schefter was just speculating more than reporting, but he's very tuned in to the Broncos' organization. Buckhalter was on crutches after Sunday's loss and X-rays came back negative. Knowshon Moreno could be in line for some extra work this week against the Patriots. Oct. 6 - 12:29 pm et

trench
10-06-2009, 12:25 PM
Keep in mind that we have a real heads-up on what they will run. Josh should be able to adjust easily to whatever they do.McDaniels knows the personnel; he does not know what they will run. Bear in mind that the former offensive play calling tendencies of the Patriots were his own. You could easily argue the reverse and that it's the Patriots who are familiar with McDaniels' play calling tendencies. The advantage here for the Broncos is that McDaniels knows the strengths and weakness of the personnel.

ludo21
10-06-2009, 12:25 PM
I dont see us winning this weekend.

35-10

Brady and Bellicheat will find a weakness in our D, I just know it.

outdoor_miner
10-06-2009, 12:32 PM
Moreno needs to lower his head and work for those hard yards. I'm not sure if he has done that at all, nothing that I can remember atleast. Once he is able to do that he will be a monster.

What? Moreno has been the one constantly fighting and churning his legs for extra yardage... Yeah - he got stuffed twice last week on 3rd and 4th and short, but I've been impressed by his tough running all year.

Traveler
10-06-2009, 12:34 PM
Teacher bests student this weekend.

Beantown Bronco
10-06-2009, 12:38 PM
You'd think after Schefter completely whiffed on the Marion Barber prediction just last week that he'd wait until at least Wednesday or Thursday before predicting that any RB would be out this week.

Beantown Bronco
10-06-2009, 12:39 PM
What? Moreno has been the one constantly fighting and churning his legs for extra yardage... Yeah - he got stuffed twice last week on 3rd and 4th and short, but I've been impressed by his tough running all year.

Seriously. Not sure what BA is looking at but Moreno has been an extremely tough runner so far.....almost always falling forward for an extra yard or two at the end of runs.

prunch
10-06-2009, 12:41 PM
From a stats point of view

They average a point and change more than us on Offense.
We allow 11 and change less points than they do on defense.
They allow 4.5 yards per rush, I expect we win TOP, turnover battles.
Brady did not like the Jets pass rush and looked poor so I think his pockets will be collapsing rapidly.
We have home field.

Tough game but i'll predict:

Denver 24
New England 16

BlaK-Argentina
10-06-2009, 12:46 PM
I think McD should give Shanny a call. I'm sure he'd be happy to help. Shanny owns Belicheat, he can sure give us some pointers. ;D

Greatspirits
10-06-2009, 12:49 PM
As much as I would like to think we can win this game, I really just dont see it. I think our defense will keep it close, but in the end it will be too much Tom Brady.

BlaK-Argentina
10-06-2009, 12:57 PM
As much as I would like to think we can win this game, I really just dont see it. I think our defense will keep it close, but in the end it will be too much Tom Brady.

Brady has never been great against us. I want to believe that trend will continue. McD knows him as well. I'm not scared of the Pats and I can guarantee (well I can't but I will anyway) the Broncos aren't either.

alkemical
10-06-2009, 12:59 PM
we are now on the SI cover

Que
10-06-2009, 01:04 PM
I dont see us winning this weekend.

35-10

Brady and Papa Hoodie will find a weakness in our D, I just know it.

Fixed it for you

BABronco
10-06-2009, 01:44 PM
Why are you assuming Buckhalter will not play, he said he expected to play.
I'm sorry . I hadnt heard anything and was just going off what guy above said.

oubronco
10-06-2009, 01:46 PM
New England 90000000000000000000000000

Denver 0

The Joker
10-06-2009, 01:56 PM
If I absolutely had to pick a winner, I'm afraid I'd go with NE.

The Broncos are a good team, but New England are still one of the best out there. We'll push them close, but I think Brady manages to get it done in the redzone that one time more than we do.

20-16 to the Pats.

crowebomber
10-06-2009, 02:06 PM
Whichever team scores more than 17 points will win. You know McDaniels has a game plan and knows some things to exploit, but can Orton execute?

Both teams are playing solid D, and both offenses have some weapons. I like our DBs and pass rush keeping Brady from going crazy.

broncofan7
10-06-2009, 02:07 PM
we are now on the SI cover

Then it has been written--WE ARE DOOMED TO DEFEAT.

GoBroncos DownUnder
10-06-2009, 02:08 PM
Not concerned about the result, I'd just like a GOOD GAME!! This weekends games around the league SUCK!

AND ... if we make something of the next few weeks, I'll be the happiest mother ****er in the city of Pittsburgh!
EVERY day through the off-season, I wore my old school Broncos blue hat, I got grief ... every day ... "your team sucks" "should have kept Cutler"!
But I still wore it, because that's what a fan does!

Now we HAVE: Marshall is on-board, a better defense, a 4-0 record, and IF we manage to beat New England - it will be "HERE EVER'BODY, have one of these steaming fresh turd-sammiches!! Munch, munch you bunch of smart asses!" Hilarious!
Denver 20 - New England 16 - Jamie Dukes 0 (IQ)

1998Eternal
10-06-2009, 02:11 PM
Well as long as they havent been filming our practices we should be good XD.

gyldenlove
10-06-2009, 02:28 PM
Here come the big bad Patriots, fresh off a win over the undefeted Ravens and they are only 3 point favourites against a Denver team that couldn't compete in the SEC.

This team has come a very long way very quickly, the defense not only looks excellent they are showing excellent fundamentals and for all of our penalty problems the defense has been remarkably well behaved. (Example is how Woodyard having a free shot at Romo right after Romo lets go of the ball only gives him a small knock. That is a heady play, no reason to take a stupid 15 yard penalty on 3rd down.)

The offense has been as good as they need to be, but steadily improving, so it will be interesting to see how far they can, especially against a NE defense that is not looking too hot. With Moreno weaving in and out of traffic, Marshall making defensive backs look foolish and Graham blocking the hell out of anyone in reach this offense could really put some points together if they get an early rythm.

This game will come down to the little things, don't blow an assignment and let someone make a big play on you and don't miss tackles. If we do the simple things the rest will follow, I genuinely believe that right now we can match the Patriots and most other teams in the league when we do the little things right, hell if not for that miracle 4th and 3 play by Romo that Dallas game is in the bag without any drama.

Chris
10-06-2009, 03:07 PM
We got rid of Deltha O'Neal. We will be fine.

Here's the reality for me: I'm concerned about our vulnerability over the middle which is NE's bread and butter. We've left those passes open many times the past couple weeks and the QBs just couldn't make the play because of our pressure. It's possible our pressure will rattle Brady but he's going to make at least 50% more of those plays than any of the other QBs we've faced.

With Buck out it's time for Orton to play like he's rumoured to have played in practice... like one of the best QBs around.

dextermilo
10-06-2009, 03:54 PM
Orton has a 123.5 rating in the second half this season, 144.7 in the 4th quarter.

He only threw 2-3 incomplete passes in the second half against Dallas. If they can start getting rolling earlier they have a good chance against any team.

Side note: nice boards here.

delany
10-07-2009, 12:43 PM
I would expect to see this Patriot set trend continue. The pressure on the Denver D will be on covering TEs and RBs releasing underneath. Can't wait to see Nolan defend against it.

http://espn.go.com/boston/columns/blog?post=4533301&name=reiss

Offensive formations highlighted TEs, backs
Absence of Galloway forced a switch of focus

October 5, 2009, 11:18 AM
By: Mike Reiss

A look at the offensive positional groupings utilized by the Patriots in their 27-21 win over the Ravens:

2 WR/2 TE/1 RB -- 27 of 67 snaps
3 WR/1 TE/1 RB -- 19 of 67
2 WR/1 TE/2 RB -- 11 of 67
1 WR/2 TE/2 RB -- 4 of 67
3 WR/2 RB -- 4 of 67
3 TE/2 RB -- 1 of 67
1 WR/3 TE/1 RB -- 1 of 67

ANALYSIS: The struggles of Joey Galloway, who was a healthy scratch, seemed to dictate how the Patriots utilized their personnel. Without a pure No. 3 receiver, the Patriots didn't lean as heavily on their base three-receiver set. Instead, they tapped into the versatility of their tight ends and running backs, playing 32 snaps with multiple tight ends and 20 with two backs. The backs were often used as receivers. Sammy Morris's 12-yard touchdown run came out of the unconventional 2 WR/1 TE/2 RB grouping.

lex
10-07-2009, 12:51 PM
Ray Rice had over 100 yards rushing. Balt has been one of the better running teams but lately, so have we. NE has lost a lot of pieces on defense. Does anyone know if Mayo will play? It just seems like their defense might be vulnerable in spite of Belichick presenting Orton with a lot of looks.

Don Flamenco
10-07-2009, 12:53 PM
42-17 New England.

That being said, run the ****ing ball!

Old Dude
10-07-2009, 12:58 PM
All kidding aside, this game will be decided the same way most are: Trenches & Turnovers.

TailgateNut
10-07-2009, 01:05 PM
From the Patriots board. Bawahahaha

Re: Official (3-1) New England Patriots at (4-0) Denver Broncos [Re: pilgrimao]
#469705 - Sun Oct 04 2009 11:00 PM Edit Reply Quote

The air up there is tough, The Patriots never play well there, the crowd hates us and will be loud, plus they did look alright against the Cowboys today, But that really doesn't tell you much.

I like New Englands young Defence in this game, and Rex Grossman is, well Rex Grossman. Maybe we can get him to make some of those classic Grossman mistakes.
I think that this Patriots team is well on its way to prooving itself as a legitimate contender. Tom Brady is definatley getting back into shape.
This will be a good, hard fought game. I do not see a blowout comming this week. But I do see the Patriots winning it.

Go Patriots

jhat01
10-07-2009, 01:06 PM
Grossman is Grossman, that's for sure aaahahahahahah

TailgateNut
10-07-2009, 01:09 PM
Grossman is Grossman, that's for sure aaahahahahahah

The idiot thinks Grossman is our QB.

A well informed fanbase.

sonsofkraftybob
10-07-2009, 02:13 PM
The idiot thinks Grossman is our QB.

A well informed fanbase.

Worse, it's Grossman's backup.

1998Eternal
10-07-2009, 02:21 PM
With Mcdaniels being with the Patriots for 10 years we will have some in depth knowledge from their old offensive coordinator on there tendencies on particular downs or their position on the field. If defense can stop Tom Brady from marching up the field we should be able to grind this one out and come out of it with a win.

Aftermath
10-07-2009, 02:21 PM
Mayo is out I believe . I personally think we will win this game by ten. I'm hoping orton shows up early and has good accuracy on the medium to longer throws. I'm also hoping we pound the rock all game long and moreno has his best game of the year. The broncos should come out and play well because they want this W for mcdaniels

TailgateNut
10-07-2009, 02:22 PM
Worse, it's Grossman's backup.
Lookie here, it's another patsy fan.Hilarious!

delany
10-07-2009, 02:57 PM
Tom has first hand experience.

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2009/10/tom-brady-chimes-in-on-tony-romos-decisi.html

New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady told WEEI Sports Radio Network's "The Dennis & Callahan Morning Show" in Boston that he was surprised Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo challenged Denver eight-time Pro Bowl cornerback Champ Bailey at the end of Dallas' 17-10 loss to the Broncos on Sunday. You can listen to Brady's thoughts on Romo at about the 17:17 mark of the audio right here.

"Late in the game, I was watching and they threw those two slants at the end and I'm just thinking, 'If there is one guy you really don't want to pick on, it's Champ,'" Brady said. "I can't imagine you go into a game thinking, 'Oh, let's really go after this guy and see if he can make the plays.' Kind of like Ed Reed, you don't want to challenge him very often because you may get one, but he's going to get his one, too. That's what makes them great players."

maher_tyler
10-07-2009, 04:46 PM
Other than QB and maybe WR...where do they out match us?? It's hard to rate there front 7 higher considering we're only giving up 6.5 points per game. This game will come down to who ever executes better and with Brady at QB...i just see them making a few more plays late in the game to pull off the win. 20-17 Pats...kick a field goal as time expires!!

gunns
10-07-2009, 04:54 PM
I'm actually feeling better about this game than the Dallas game. Don't know why, maybe it's this faith thing that I haven't experienced with the Broncos in quite a few years.

bronclvr
10-07-2009, 04:56 PM
Boy, there is a lot of optimism here-I watched Sunday's game last night on NFL replay (again), and while we did play very well, I wonder what the outcome would have been if Homo (uh, I mean Romo) had been "on"-there were a lot of drops (and over/underthrows) that, if caught, would have been for over 8 Yards (or more).

I'm as Homeristic as a lot of you, but watching that gives me pause-Brady usually isn't as careless-

TotallyScrewed
10-07-2009, 05:03 PM
Right now The Broncos are playing lights out on D and as long as there no injuries I think we can hold NE to under 20 points so the key to this game is the O and Orton needs to make a big step up in the passing game and continue to run the ball well. The kicking game will be a key in this game too and Denver at home is ruling field position.

Easily the toughest game so far but we have a real home field advantage once again and NE always has trouble against Denver in Denver.

If the Broncos can put 21 + points on the board we should pull a win.

It is an old cliché but this is truly one of those games that will come down to who wants it more and my money is on Denver.

This is Josh's first true chance to show what he's got and that he is not a product of the NE system. We are all well aware of the lack of success that the former coordinators have had as head coaches and I'm sure that Josh wants to prove he busting that trend. He'll have a special game plan. I hope he has that Step On Their Throat attitude.

I have great faith in the defense and special teams will hold up their end of the bargain. On the other hand, Kyle is going to have to have the game of his career. Turnovers by Denver are critical...one could be one too many. The the entire offense is going to have to bottle up those penalties.

If Denver wants some respect, they're going to need to have to earn it here.

Failure is NOT an option...how's that for cliche?

DO YOUR JOB!!

Mr. Elway
10-07-2009, 05:21 PM
Boy, there is a lot of optimism here-I watched Sunday's game last night on NFL replay (again), and while we did play very well, I wonder what the outcome would have been if Homo (uh, I mean Romo) had been "on"-there were a lot of drops (and over/underthrows) that, if caught, would have been for over 8 Yards (or more).

True, but that kind of thing can happen when your QB gets a lot of pressure all day, and the receivers get jumpy because Wolverine or DJ are waiting to bring the pain.

tsiguy96
10-07-2009, 05:22 PM
True, but that kind of thing can happen when your QB gets a lot of pressure all day, and the receivers get jumpy because Wolverine or DJ are waiting to bring the pain.

i hate when people refuse to give us credit for CAUSING him to play bad. he just played bad, people say. maybe because he had 2 seconds before orange was blinding him.

Tombstone RJ
10-07-2009, 05:23 PM
If I was McD, I wouldn't coach the Broncos up too much on NE's weaknesses and Tom Brady's weaknesses, only because IF the Broncos lose this game, it's not a season killer (plus, everyone expects the Pats to win).

I say this because the Broncos and the Pats MAY meet again in the playoffs. This is where McD's inside knowledge of NE's offense and defense can help the Broncos win.

I'm not saying McD won't prepare the Broncos for the Pats, of course he will. I'm just saying that he may not give all the nasty little secrets to the guys just in case the Broncos meet the Pats again in the playoffs...

tsiguy96
10-07-2009, 05:26 PM
If I was McD, I wouldn't coach the Broncos up too much on NE's weaknesses and Tom Brady's weaknesses, only because IF the Broncos lose this game, it's not a season killer (plus, everyone expects the Pats to win).

I say this because the Broncos and the Pats MAY meet again in the playoffs. This is where McD's inside knowledge of NE's offense and defense can help the Broncos win.

I'm not saying McD won't prepare the Broncos for the Pats, of course he will. I'm just saying that he may not give all the nasty little secrets to the guys just in case the Broncos meet the Pats again in the playoffs...

you attack when you need to. tom b's weaknesses will still be his weaknesses in teh playoffs, and you attack them again. best case situation, they have to leave a TE in to help block, since they dont have a legit 3rd WR anymore it works good.

TotallyScrewed
10-07-2009, 05:29 PM
Denver will win this one at home......it's what they do against NE. ;D

I hope the President gets a call...

Tombstone RJ
10-07-2009, 05:30 PM
you attack when you need to. tom b's weaknesses will still be his weaknesses in teh playoffs, and you attack them again. best case situation, they have to leave a TE in to help block, since they dont have a legit 3rd WR anymore it works good.

Lots of things change in the playoffs. There are three seasons in the NFL: the preseason, the regular season and the post season. If you can't separate the three, you probably won't be winning much in the post season, just ask Marty Schottenheimerdinker(sp?).

I'm thinking McD understands this.

tsiguy96
10-07-2009, 05:31 PM
Lots of things change in the playoffs. There are three seasons in the NFL: the preseason, the regular season and the post season. If you can't separate the three, you probably won't be winning much in the post season, just ask Marty Schottenheimerdinker(sp?).

I'm thinking McD understands this.

and he also understands he needs to use every tool available to him to beat the patriots instead of hoping we slide by with a win. if we lose this game and chargers win, they are 1 game back. mcdaniels isnt dumb, hes not going to let off the gas and NOT attack a teams weaknesses just because we MIGHT see them in the playoffs. playoffs are not gauranteed yet.

Bronx33
10-07-2009, 05:33 PM
Pound brady hard and often get him off his game after all he is a little whiney bitch.

Tombstone RJ
10-07-2009, 05:35 PM
and he also understands he needs to use every tool available to him to beat the patriots instead of hoping we slide by with a win. if we lose this game and chargers win, they are 1 game back. mcdaniels isnt dumb, hes not going to let off the gas and NOT attack a teams weaknesses just because we MIGHT see them in the playoffs. playoffs are not gauranteed yet.

Perhaps, we shall see. I think he has a playbook for the post season that is different than for the regular season so I'm thinking he definitely won't show the Pats everything on offense and he'll probably let Nolan make the calls on defense.

If the Broncos do meet the Pats in the post season, both teams will be very familiar with each other and that is where McD will need to take his coaching to the next level.

tsiguy96
10-07-2009, 05:36 PM
Perhaps, we shall see. I think he has a playbook for the post season that is different than for the regular season so I'm thinking he definitely won't show the Pats everything on offense and he'll probably let Nolan make the calls on defense.

If the Broncos do meet the Pats in the post season, both teams will be very familiar with each other and that is where McD will need to take his coaching to the next level.

im sure he will have different looks for post season for sure. but the gameplan will be designed around attacking the patriots weaknesses, including those of tom brady. like mcdaniels always says, smart physical football wins games.

Bronco Yoda
10-07-2009, 05:39 PM
I see them trying to run straight at us and bubble screens to slow down our rush. short crossing routes on 3rd down. McD and Nolan will know this.

This is going to be fun to watch.

Go Broncos!

Rashid242
10-07-2009, 08:00 PM
Tom has first hand experience.

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2009/10/tom-brady-chimes-in-on-tony-romos-decisi.html

New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady told WEEI Sports Radio Network's "The Dennis & Callahan Morning Show" in Boston that he was surprised Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo challenged Denver eight-time Pro Bowl cornerback Champ Bailey at the end of Dallas' 17-10 loss to the Broncos on Sunday. You can listen to Brady's thoughts on Romo at about the 17:17 mark of the audio right here.

"Late in the game, I was watching and they threw those two slants at the end and I'm just thinking, 'If there is one guy you really don't want to pick on, it's Champ,'" Brady said. "I can't imagine you go into a game thinking, 'Oh, let's really go after this guy and see if he can make the plays.' Kind of like Ed Reed, you don't want to challenge him very often because you may get one, but he's going to get his one, too. That's what makes them great players."

This tells me he's going after Bailey this week in the same circumstances. Hell last week Ed Reed was playing so deep I didn't even know he was in the game.

Simms showed he was playing like 25 yards from the line of scrimmage because of Moss.

They had one safety blitz with Reed & it resulted in Brady's only TD of the games.

HAT
10-07-2009, 09:35 PM
I'm not too worried about keeping NE's offense at around 16 points. Denver needs a better showing on offense though and I hope they can muster 24.

I posted this on a handicapping site earlier.

Much like last week's Dallas/Denver tilt, we have the perceived superior team laying a FG & heavy juice on the road against against an undefeated Denver team that "hasn't beaten anyone yet".

Funny, a week ago the mainstream media and joe internet poster were proclaiming Dallas as Denver's first real test....Now Dallas is ****, Romo sucks and Denver STILL hasn't beaten a quality team?

I'm not making a play yet....Just wanted to use this thread to blog some thoughts over the next few days.

Let's start with Denver's scoring defense:
1) Cincy has scored an average of 25.66 PPG when not playing Denver and only 7 vs. Denver. (18+ differential)

2) Cleveland has scored an average of 14.33 PPG when not playing Denver and only 6 vs. Denver (8+ differential)

3) Oakland has scored an average of 13 PPG when not playing Denver and only 3 vs. Denver (10 differential)

4) Dallas has scored an average of 28.66 PPG when not playing Denver and only 10 vs. Denver. (18+ differential)

Imagine that, Denver's defense has been relatively better against higher scoring offenses, with marquee QB's, than it has vs. the bottom feeders.

Combined: Cincy, Cle, Oak & Dallas are averaging 20.5 ppg when not playing Denver. Denver held them to a FULL 2 TD's under their average.

NE is averaging 21.8 PPG thus far. Let's take a look at how they got there:

NE scored 25 on BUF who is allowing 28.33 ppg when not playing NE
NE scored 9 on NYJ who is allowing 16 ppg when not playing NE
NE scored 26 on ATL who is allowing 13.5 ppg when not playing NE
NE scored 27 on BAL who is allowing 17.66 ppg when not playing NE

Combined, Bills, Jets, Falcons & Ravens are allowing on average 19 when not playing NE. NE is doing a pretty good job in averaging a FG better than what their opponents give up on average.

So through 1/4 of the season:
Denver is holding opposing offenses to 14 points less than what they are used to on average.
NE is scoring 3 points more than what their opponents are used to giving up on average.

NE's 21.8 offense average - Denver's 14 point adjustment = 7.8 points
Denver's 6.5 allowed + NE's 3 point adjustment = 9.5 points

Clearly NE is only going to score 9 points. :strong:

...JUST KIDDING people. I'm just using it to illustrate a 'point'

They key games to me are NE @ NYJ and Dallas @ Denver since I think we would all agree that so far that NYJ & Den's defenses look pretty comparable and likewise for NE & Dallas on offense. And both cases had the 'marquee' offense on the road laying 3/3.5 against the strong defense at home.

For example, to date:
Dallas O is averaging 24/game on about 400 yards
NE is O averaging 22/game on about 375 yards

Denver D allowing 6.5/game and about 240 yards with
NYJ D allowing 14.3/game and about 275

I will breakdown the box scores later to see if we can find further similarities as to just how The Jets held the Pats to 9 compared to how Denver held Dallas to 10.

worm
10-08-2009, 11:11 AM
Old Skool AFL Art from NE game day programs.

This is the program cover art from the AFL's first game regular season game between the Denver Broncos and Boston Patriots, Sept. 9, 1960. (Were they celebrating Breast Cancer Awareness back then?!?)

http://www.mmbolding.com/BSR/AFLart15.jpg

Another game

http://www.mmbolding.com/BSR/AFLart12.jpg

This ones from 1962

http://www.mmbolding.com/BSR/AFLart21.jpg

Other AFL program covers here. http://www.mmbolding.com/BSR/AFL_Program_Art.htm

UtahBroncos
10-08-2009, 02:16 PM
Gentleman, we have an awesome game ahead.....

Broncos 21 Pats 16

Rock Chalk
10-08-2009, 02:30 PM

If we lose this game, the Chargers will be 1.5 games back. They cannot possibly win this week, they are on their bye.

Rock Chalk
10-08-2009, 02:33 PM

I'm as Homeristic as a lot of you, but watching that gives me pause-Brady usually isn't as careless-

No, Brady is a much much better QB than Romo is.

That being said, Brady, when rattled like the Jets did to him, is a suspect passer too. Too far lead, over thrown, under thrown, behind, low. Watch the NE/NYJ game again. The Jets didn't get a single sack in that game but they harrassed Brady ALL game long and hit him over a dozen times.

IF Denver can do the same to Brady, that will cause mistakes by the Golden Boy and you will find a much more similar performance to what Romo had than you would, on the surface, suspect.

Denver's defense was teh CAUSE for Romo's poor throwing. When you are sacked 5 times in a game and hit 10 more times, you tend to get nervous, rush your throws, not set your feet and in general make bad decisions. THat's exactly what Romo did.

HAT
10-08-2009, 02:43 PM
Hartman just said on Fox radio that he's picking the Pats b/c Denver is in a look ahead situation with SD on deck. What a clown.

Pats may win but it won't be b/c of a look ahead.

GoBroncos DownUnder
10-08-2009, 02:59 PM
I think we win by 10 now, Brady has no Ref's to cry to this week!

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk230/bretts-pic-bucket/Mr-Bundchen.jpg?t=1255035492

Que
10-11-2009, 10:44 PM
Thought I would rez this post. Look at my brilliant keys to winning the game:

My 3 keys to the game:
1. Denver needs an effective ground game. Sort of a no brainer because that is true for any game. More so at home since a punishing ground attack beats down their Dline and LBs at altitude.

Verdict: Kinda. Moreno was effective but not explosive. We had a credible ground game but certainly won it in the air.

2. Intercept Brady: we need the DB's to pick at least one Brady throw. INTs rattle Brady more than sacks IMHO

Verdict: Um, no.

3. Field Position: We need our Special Teams to come through strong... again. Field position will rule the day.

Verdict: Field position is so 2008. Hey, why go 40 yards when you can go 99?

(honorable mention) Shut Down Welker

Verdict: Um, no. Why shut down Welker when you can shut down Moss.

So.. it sounded good when i wrote it. That it...

Go Broncos!

GoBroncos DownUnder
10-12-2009, 01:47 PM
Not concerned about the result, I'd just like a GOOD GAME!! This weekends games around the league SUCK!

AND ... if we make something of the next few weeks, I'll be the happiest mother ****er in the city of Pittsburgh!
EVERY day through the off-season, I wore my old school Broncos blue hat, I got grief ... every day ... "your team sucks" "should have kept Cutler"!
But I still wore it, because that's what a fan does!

Now we HAVE: Marshall is on-board, a better defense, a 4-0 record, and IF we manage to beat New England - it will be "HERE EVER'BODY, have one of these steaming fresh turd-sammiches!! Munch, munch you bunch of smart asses!" Hilarious!
Denver 20 - New England 16 - Jamie Dukes 0 (IQ)
CORRECT, Missed by 1, and CORRECT! WOOHOO!

TURD SAMMICHES AND CROW - People of Pittsburgh, come one, come ALL!
Hot crow, cold crow! Hard turd sammich, soft turd sammiches!! Again - "Munch, munch you bunch of smart asses!"Hilarious!:egbgb::curtsey:ROFL!^5:yayaya::wave:

Best thing is I get to go watch football next SUNDAY, with no Broncos game, and I get to savour the 5-0 feeling!:rofl: