PDA

View Full Version : First-round picks Moreno, Ayers proving their worth to Broncos

baja
10-06-2009, 06:38 AM
1st-round picks Moreno, Ayers proving their worth to Broncos

By Brian Howell
© 2009 Longmont Times-Call

Knowshon Moreno has made an immediate impact on the Denver Broncosí offense this season.

The first-round pick from Georgia has rushed for 249 yards and has gotten better each week.

The emergence of the Broncosí other first-round pick has been more gradual. Robert Ayers is making strides, however.

Sunday against Dallas, the rookie from Tennessee registered two tackles, including a 3-yard loss on Cowboys running back Tashard Choice. That forced Dallas to settle for a field goal in the first quarter.

ďToday was one of my better performances, and hopefully I can keep building on this one,Ē Ayers said Sunday.

When he was drafted 18th overall (Moreno was taken 12th) in April, Ayers figured to be the best of a mediocre group of outside linebackers/defensive ends.

Instead, Elvis Dumervil and Mario Haggan have taken over as starters and done well. Thatís allowed Ayers to ease into the NFL life.

ďIím just trying to keep getting better,Ē said Ayers, who had just one tackle in the first three games. ďThe older guys keep helping me out to get better; coaches keep helping me get better. Iím just trying to improve each week.Ē

So far, so good.

DOMINATING: How good was the Broncosí defensive front on Sunday?

The Cowboys have one of the best offensive lines in the NFL, and through three games had allowed just three sacks while their running game had racked up 193.7 yards per game.

Denver held the Cowboys to 74 yards rushing and sacked Tony Romo five times.

GETTING THE JOB DONE: Still donít like Kyle Orton as the Broncosí quarterback?

He hasnít been spectacular, and heís been lucky on a few throws this season. But Ortonís one of the highest-rated passers in the league so far, and heís the only starter without an interception.

Before this year, the Broncos hadnít played more than two games without an interception since Jake Plummer went eight consecutive games without one in 2005.

Brian Howell can be reached at
bhowell@times-call.com.

http://www.timescall.com/sports_story.asp?id=18470

baja
10-06-2009, 06:41 AM
dominating: How good was the broncosí defensive front on sunday?

The cowboys have one of the best offensive lines in the nfl, and through three games had allowed just three sacks while their running game had racked up 193.7 yards per game.

Denver held the cowboys to 74 yards rushing and sacked tony romo five times. +1

barryr
10-06-2009, 07:22 AM
Ayers was very active, which was great to see. If he can provide some pass rush along with Dumervil, that would give 2 guys to worry about and that can open up things for others when getting single blocked. Moreno is a toguh runner and made a great catch on the TD. Many would have dropped that ball since the defender almost caught it or knocked it down. Takes great concentration.

baja
10-06-2009, 07:24 AM
It was an amazing catch

SoDak Bronco
10-06-2009, 07:25 AM
He already looks much more comfortable then Jarvis or Crowder ever did.

cmhargrove
10-06-2009, 07:27 AM
Ayers was very active, which was great to see. If he can provide some pass rush along with Dumervil, that would give 2 guys to worry about and that can open up things for others when getting single blocked. Moreno is a toguh runner and made a great catch on the TD. Many would have dropped that ball since the defender almost caught it or knocked it down. Takes great concentration.

The thing that surprises me is how powerful Ayers plays on the interior. The dude gets some serious leverage against Guards, then just seems to break through with a great deal of speed. I like his progress so far, and I like how the coaches are bringing him along without too much individual pressure.

no-pseudo-fan
10-06-2009, 07:33 AM
Ayers put the first smack down on Romo on Sunday, not a sack but Romo was on his back.

barryr
10-06-2009, 07:51 AM
The thing that surprises me is how powerful Ayers plays on the interior. The dude gets some serious leverage against Guards, then just seems to break through with a great deal of speed. I like his progress so far, and I like how the coaches are bringing him along without too much individual pressure.

Ayers also looks very sleak in his build, which surprises me. He looks like he has lost some weight or is just in really great shape, which likely helps him play at LB.

Rohirrim
10-06-2009, 07:54 AM
Knowshon hasn't even had his bust out game yet. Just wait until he has absorbed it all and can start moving without thinking. We ain't seen nothing yet. Bobby Turner is just getting him tuned up. ;D

Mr.Meanie
10-06-2009, 07:57 AM
I'm curious, have there been any 1st round rookie stand-out defensive players? Usually you hear of one guy lighting up the league, but I haven't really heard anything.

Smiling Assassin27
10-06-2009, 08:02 AM
Ayers put the first smack down on Romo on Sunday, not a sack but Romo was on his back.

I noticed that he was doing exactly what his DL coach said he was--keeping the pocket intact so the qb can't break contain while the big uglies push that pocket back into the qb. I like what i'm seeing from him, and with the depth we have at LB, he's getting a chance to ease into the position at a pace that will almost surely make his development more complete.

skpac1001
10-06-2009, 08:03 AM
I'm curious, have there been any 1st round rookie stand-out defensive players? Usually you hear of one guy lighting up the league, but I haven't really heard anything.

I think Brian Cushing is supposed to be playing pretty well.

Man-Goblin
10-06-2009, 08:04 AM

I've heard Curry is playing very well, but I haven't seen him much. I also didn't notice Raji at all last night.

Br0nc0Buster
10-06-2009, 08:12 AM
Ayers was so close to sacking Romo on that 4th and 3rd conversion for like 40 yards

He pushed the guard into Romo, but Romo spun away from it and flung it

Ayers put a lick on him though and nailed him as soon as the ball left his hand

Hopefully he keeps getting better, but I like what Im seeing

broncofan2438
10-06-2009, 08:40 AM
Im looking forward to this D keeping it up this Sunday and gettn after Brady(Pretty Boy) real hard!!!

Kaylore
10-06-2009, 08:47 AM
It's amazing that now that we have a real coaching staff on defense you can faith that if the talent is there they will actually develop. Slowick would have had Reggie White out of football in three years.

baja
10-06-2009, 08:53 AM
It's amazing that now that we have a real coaching staff on defense you can faith that if the talent is there they will actually develop. Slowick would have had Reggie White out of football in three years.

LOL now that's funny.

dbfan21
10-06-2009, 09:09 AM
1st-round picks Moreno, Ayers proving their worth to Broncos

DOMINATING: How good was the Broncosí defensive front on Sunday?

The Cowboys have one of the best offensive lines in the NFL, and through three games had allowed just three sacks while their running game had racked up 193.7 yards per game.

Denver held the Cowboys to 74 yards rushing and sacked Tony Romo five times.

Seriously...did anyone let out a giddy little laugh after reading this? I did! :thumbsup:

Popps
10-06-2009, 10:30 AM
Watching Ayers develop is one of the most exciting aspects of this season. From week to week, I just can't wait to see this kid improve.

Thus far, he's off to a great start.

boppool
10-06-2009, 10:52 AM
Gotta respect Mayock. The dude knows what he's talking about when he rated Moreno and Ayers on top of his board.

cutthemdown
10-06-2009, 11:03 AM

Mentioning White got me thinking back to how good that eagle dline was before Jerome Brown died and reggie white left for GB. Man those guys were dominant.

lex
10-06-2009, 11:03 AM
Ayers also looks very sleak in his build, which surprises me. He looks like he has lost some weight or is just in really great shape, which likely helps him play at LB.

Admit it. You think he's hot.

BroncoMan4ever
10-06-2009, 12:34 PM

he's already played better than either of them ever did, and unlike either of them, he is getting better.

DomCasual
10-06-2009, 01:31 PM
Before this year, the Broncos hadnít played more than two games without an interception since Jake Plummer went eight consecutive games without one in 2005.

Brian Howell can be reached at
bhowell@times-call.com.

If I hadn't seen that with my own eyes, I would have said it wasn't possible. Jake Plummer? Eight games? No interceptions? That was pretty remarkable, when you think about it.

NYBronco
10-06-2009, 02:09 PM
Is that the Longmont Times Call?

WOO HOO, My hometown!

chrisp
10-06-2009, 02:26 PM

Now there's a thing - I had completely forgotten about Crowder. To think, before the season started I was concerned we had cut him. Now I laugh at the thought.....