PDA

View Full Version : Reid lead blocking?

MagicHef
10-05-2009, 05:08 PM
On the 4th down attempt, why was Reid lead blocking? I'm guessing they would have originally had Hochstein there, but he was filling in for Hamilton. Still, why not Hillis, Larsen or Olsen? Or at least some other offensive player, not someone who's going to slip and do nothing in the way of blocking?

BroncoBuff
10-05-2009, 05:11 PM
I thought it was a bit too cutesy ... they shouldda used Hillis or even Quinn there.

In a roundabout way that play - and Reid's slip - could have cost us the game. It was a 4th down after all.

He fell down partly because he's not used to offensive set/count/jump sequencing. Keep offense on offense and defense on defense ;D

Rock Chalk
10-05-2009, 05:18 PM
Probably not Hillis because everytime he is on the field he ****s up here lately.
Curious why Larsen or Olsen wasn't in there though. Buff's option of Quinn is a good one too.

PRBronco
10-05-2009, 05:18 PM
Yeah I was thinking the same thing...I mean i'm sure Hochstein would normally be doing it, but I'd like to think Quinn would be ideal for that role, if they don't want to use FB (a combo of Peyton being in the doghouse and being concussed maybe?). Maybe they didn't want to put in someone cold? Maybe Olsen and Quinn hadn't been out there yet.

MagicHef
10-05-2009, 05:25 PM
I did notice Hillis in the game at FB on at least one other play, so obviously he isn't too far in the doghouse.

USMCBladerunner
10-05-2009, 05:48 PM
Larsen wasn't activated, so he wasn't an option. This is not unusual for NE, so I'm not surprised at seeing it. The results definitely left something to be desired. That stuff does happen though...remember when Kuper swatted the ball out of Eslinger/Cutler's hands on the goal line?

BroncoBuff
10-05-2009, 05:57 PM
Larsen wasn't activated, so he wasn't an option.
Still that shoulder thing? Did we ever hear the full story on that?

That stuff does happen though...remember when Kuper swatted the ball out of Eslinger/Cutler's hands on the goal line?
That's right ... not on purpose obviously, he just pulled out too fast.

Good memory.

BroncoBuff
10-05-2009, 06:02 PM
Not on purpose obviously, he just pulled out too fast.

http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/7262/theofficenbctvshowimage.jpg

"That's what ..... "

TonyR
10-05-2009, 06:18 PM
Probably not Hillis because everytime he is on the field he ****s up here lately.

If I'm not mistaken Hillis was the lead blocker on the 3rd down play.

atomicbloke
10-05-2009, 06:22 PM
Larsen wasn't activated, so he wasn't an option. This is not unusual for NE, so I'm not surprised at seeing it. The results definitely left something to be desired. That stuff does happen though...remember when Kuper swatted the ball out of Eslinger/Cutler's hands on the goal line?

I thought it was Chris Myers.

cabronco
10-05-2009, 06:27 PM
Imo, it should be Hillis out there, after all he is the fullback, his natural position. But for whatever reason he's screwing the pooch so far this year. When he clipped the dude on the kick off, that was so fragrant , he should of built his own doghouse.

Los Broncos
10-05-2009, 08:00 PM
I seen him in there and he totally when the went wrong direction, didn't hit the hole and he knew it too.

BroncoBuff
10-05-2009, 08:24 PM
I seen him in there and he totally when the went wrong direction, didn't hit the hole and he knew it too.

There is a subtle but important difference between the first steps of offensive and defensive players.

It looked to me like maybe he over-jumped out of his stance and did a Willhite-flop.

Los Broncos
10-05-2009, 08:26 PM
There is a subtle but important difference between the first step of offensive and defensive players.

It looked to me like maybe he over-jumped out of his stance and did a Willhite-flop.

Yeah he just didn't look right, normally Hocstein is in there but he is playing o-line.

ZONA
10-05-2009, 09:34 PM
Reid did lead blocking last game and had a good block to get us in the endzone.

dbfan21
10-06-2009, 06:32 AM
I thought it was a bit too cutesy ... they shouldda used Hillis or even Quinn there.

In a roundabout way that play - and Reid's slip - could have cost us the game. It was a 4th down after all.

He fell down partly because he's not used to offensive set/count/jump sequencing. Keep offense on offense and defense on defense ;D

+1

That was a bit too cutesey for my taste as well. Get Hillis in there who is accustomed to firing off the ball from the FB position and let him stick his helmet into the MLBs chest and help Knowshon gain the first down.

barryr
10-06-2009, 06:40 AM
Reid tripped pver himself and got in the way of the RB. I didn't like the playcall anyway. 3rd and inches, just QB sneak it. Orton is 6'4, 220+lbs, just practially falling over he gets the 1st down.

But so many teams do this: 3rd and inches and hand the ball off to the RB 4-5 yards behind the line of scrimmage, so have to go that extra yardage to just get that small bit. If it's 2nd down, OK, try it and hope if you block it perfectly, you get a long run since the option of a pass is still there. But if 3rd down and the line is stacked, they have a good feeling you're going to run, not worried about a pass, then why hand it off so far in the backfield? Unless blocked perfectly, you usually get the results we saw.

Just get the 1st down and keep the change moving: QB sneak it. Very rarely do QB's get stopped for no gain and since it was just a matter of a few inches, percentages are higher with that play than handing the ball off to a RB 4-5 yards behind the line to get the 1st down.

cmhargrove
10-06-2009, 07:36 AM
I don't have a problem with the call at all - just the execution. If Reid doesn't slip, I think we get it done.

Reid has proven himself as a "hammer" and I don't think that a guy with his speed/build isn't qualified to play some occasional FB.

Anyone remember this?

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_0YAhpcrCLg&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_0YAhpcrCLg&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Go ahead and tell me Reid couldn't be an effective blocker.

SonOfLe-loLang
10-06-2009, 08:35 AM
I'm pretty sure Reid did this kind of stuff in Indy too, so its not completely foriegn to him. He's a big dude that hits hard...im sure we'll see more of it

Popps
10-06-2009, 10:26 AM
Reid did lead blocking last game and had a good block to get us in the endzone.

I think he did some in the preseason, too. Having a big, athletic guy like Reid lead-blocking on short yardage is nothing new. Teams have been doing this stuff for years. Reid is also a special teams standout. Not a surprise that someone that hard-hitting and quick winds on on a few plays of offense.

With Hillis apparently having troubles, don't be surprised to see more of this. I think it's great. Anything to be as physical as possible down there.

BroncoBuff
10-06-2009, 10:49 AM
I think it's great. Anything to be as physical as possible down there.

It's only "great" when it works ... and this time we turned the ball over on downs while inside FG range. Not great.

The "great" call would've been Hillis, Quinn or even Warren there.

TonyR
10-06-2009, 10:54 AM
The "great" call would've been Hillis, Quinn or even Warren there.

Again, if I'm not mistaken, Hillis was the lead blocker on the 3rd down play. And who is this Warren you speak of?

BroncoBuff
10-06-2009, 11:01 AM
Again, if I'm not mistaken, Hillis was the lead blocker on the 3rd down play. And who is this Warren you speak of?

Sorry, I meant Lamont Jordan ... (Lamont Warren was a Buff ::))

Not sure what your point is about Hillis on 3rd down?

Nutshell: If your lead blocker is a defensive player, and he falls down in front of the ball carrier, and partly because of that you turn the ball over on downs, while in field goal range, that means it was a bad call. Simple math.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
10-06-2009, 11:04 AM
Imo, it should be Hillis out there, after all he is the fullback, his natural position. But for whatever reason he's screwing the pooch so far this year. When he clipped the dude on the kick off, that was so fragrant , he should of built his own doghouse.

I love those fragrant penalties. Like Sex Panther. 60% of the time it works every time.

The Joker
10-06-2009, 11:20 AM
Not sure what your point is about Hillis on 3rd down?

Maybe that we got stuffed for a loss with Hillis in there on 3rd down, so he was hardly a much better option.

We're gonna struggle on short yardage for a while, methinks.

Our interior O-Line just isn't big enough for obvious power running up the gut.

TonyR
10-06-2009, 11:40 AM
Maybe that we got stuffed for a loss with Hillis in there on 3rd down, so he was hardly a much better option.

We're gonna struggle on short yardage for a while, methinks.

Our interior O-Line just isn't big enough for obvious power running up the gut.

That was my point, and I agree with the rest of your post. We've been mediocre to poor at short yardage for years and it appears it may continue.

BroncoBuff
10-06-2009, 11:44 AM
That was my point, and I agree with the rest of your post. We've been mediocre to poor at short yardage for years and it appears it may continue.
Yeah ... and the weaker short-yardage link Hamilton wasn't even playing.

Not sure there's a silver bullet remedy for this, but I don't think defensive players are the answer.

Like MagicHef said, when Hamilton's back we'll use Hochstein again, that will probably help.