PDA

View Full Version : The no huddle - discuss

Pontius Pirate
10-05-2009, 12:51 PM
Watching the Chargers-Steelers game last night and witnessed an almost improbable comeback from 28-0. Rivers goes no huddle and goes off. Steelers def. can't react quick enough, can't stop any of the over-the-middle passes to Gates. Chargers claw back to 35-28 before Steelers offense seals it.

My question: why does the no-huddle only get whipped out when you're down big or down with little time left? Why don't more teams use it as a surprise tactic earlier on? Sure you, you need to be able to use it effectively, but that's what the offseason is for (practicing).

I can only think of a couple teams that use it as such.

BroncoMatt
10-05-2009, 12:58 PM
Good question. The no-huddle worked well for Jim Kelly

Dr. Broncenstein
10-05-2009, 01:05 PM
I like the variant used by Peyton Manning. Use the no huddle in order to keep the defense from substituting personell... but run the play clock down before each snap. This keeps the D-line gassed and effectively neutralizes a good passrush after a couple of first downs. I'm honestly suprised that in this copycat league, this tactic isn't used by every team.

lookin' glass
10-05-2009, 01:06 PM
We saw yesterday the no huddle against Denvers D and I think we'll see more of it considering how well they're playing. I think the Pats will use right off the bat to try and tire out the starters and because Denver likes to substitute a lot.
I think their D will send lots of extra guys to stuff the run and pressure Orton into mistakes.

DeuceOfClub
10-05-2009, 01:12 PM
In the Chargers case, the no-huddle takes the game out of Norv Turner hands.