PDA

View Full Version : What's wrong with Royal?

ludo21
10-05-2009, 12:31 PM
I thought he would be the one guy that benefited most from this new offense, but he has done nothing of note so far.

He can't get open, and when the ball gets thrown to him and he misses it he looks to the ref for a call and then throws a hissy fit. (not his style I thought)

So again, what is wrong with him? Is he to stupid for this offense? Is he sick?

What is the deal!

Tombstone RJ
10-05-2009, 12:33 PM
I thought he would be the one guy that benefited most from this new offense, but he has done nothing of note so far.

He can't get open, and when the ball gets thrown to him and he misses it he looks to the ref for a call and then throws a hissy fit. (not his style I thought)

What is the deal!

He's not a secret anymore. Defenses know how to game plan for him. He's a smaller WR that utilizes his speed which really helped him last year. However, now that nfl teams have film on him, they know how to match up against him.

mr007
10-05-2009, 12:35 PM

What is the deal!

When reading the scouting report on him last year, I saw that he sometimes has trouble creating separation despite great upper body strength, and that he's easy to frustrate if he's unable to create that separation.

Even though I didn't really see that last year, it seems as though it's happening this year. Also, he seems slow to me for some reason... not sure if he lost some explosiveness or what's up.

skpac1001
10-05-2009, 12:36 PM

What is the deal!

I am pretty surprised about this too. He doesn't really seem to be getting any separation at all, which he was great at last year.

Broncoman13
10-05-2009, 12:36 PM
They threw the quick WR Screen to him yesterday and the blocking was set up beautifully for him... then he went outside instead of following the blocking and was held for a short gain. During camp he was lighting that play up. He would get behind his blockers and always get a nice gain on that play. I think part of the problem is he is trying to do too much with limited opportunities. He's pushing too hard and yes, he has been getting roughed up quite a bit. McD is going to have to figure out how to best use him... pretty soon opposing defenses are going to game plan more for Marshall and he'll benefit from that.

Popps
10-05-2009, 12:37 PM
He's not a secret anymore. Defenses know how to game plan for him. He's a smaller WR that utilizes his speed which really helped him last year. However, now that nfl teams have film on him, they know how to match up against him.

Yea, without looking... I'd imagine that Eddie did more of his damage early last season than late. But, he was still a reliable part of our offense all season.

I think we've got to find a way to get him open, or in space. The routes I see him running right now seem to all wind up with guys blanketed all over him.
I know he's a good route runner. I'm not sure why he's starting so slowly.

I still believe he'll be an integral part of the offense, in the Welker/Harrison mold. McDaniels was a big fan of his coming in... I think we'll just have to be patient.

For what it's worth, he made a very important catch yesterday.

Bob's your Information Minister
10-05-2009, 12:37 PM
He is ****ing up my fantasy team.

skpac1001
10-05-2009, 12:38 PM
When reading the scouting report on him last year, I saw that he sometimes has trouble creating separation despite great upper body strength, and that he's easy to frustrate if he's unable to create that separation.

Even though I didn't really see that last year, it seems as though it's happening this year. Also, he seems slow to me for some reason... not sure if he lost some explosiveness or what's up.

Nagging minor injury maybe? Seems like a completely different guy.

jmz313
10-05-2009, 12:53 PM
i just think the team hasnt found its rythmn much this season. he'll come around. now that marshall is back, there is more that is needed to be covered on teh outside.

bronco militia
10-05-2009, 01:00 PM
What's wrong with Royal?

hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

http://i38.tinypic.com/20797w1.gif

BroncoFiend
10-05-2009, 01:05 PM

I have a bunch of byes this week so I had to cut him, I may regret it later but he is just not getting it done

dbfan4life
10-05-2009, 01:07 PM
What's wrong with Royal?

hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Nail, Hammer, Head.

bowtown
10-05-2009, 01:13 PM

This is the answer. Eddie's role from the get go this year was ****ing up Bob's fantasy team. Once Bob benches him, he'll be back to his old self. McDaniels is a genius.

RhymesayersDU
10-05-2009, 01:20 PM
I wonder what they call a quarter-pounder in Europe.

Smiling Assassin27
10-05-2009, 01:23 PM
The guy really should be wes welker in this offense, but he doesn't seem to have the mindset and/or skills yet to be a possession guy. Gaffney seems to know what he's doing, finding seams and bubbles, sitting down, and getting 12-15 yards. I think Royal's just sorta tweening it, which won't work in this offense. He can't be Randy Moss--too small. He's not Welker yet--not polished or intuitive enough. He's a lot like Galloway is in NE's system--unproductive.

bronco_diesel
10-05-2009, 01:34 PM
pretty soon opposing defenses are going to game plan more for Marshall and he'll benefit from that.

I think it is this. BM hasn't been a large part of the offense yet, and Royal is also paying the price.

barryr
10-05-2009, 01:47 PM
It seems to this point, they have Royal running mostly short passing routes where he just sits and waits for the pass. Which to me, takes away his speed so even if he catches the pass, it still takes time to build up speed. Routes where he's on the move seem like the ideal. Maybe they have been doing that with him, but I don't think enough.

RaiderH8r
10-05-2009, 01:48 PM
We're not stretching the field because Orton hasn't been looking deep. That changed a little bit yesterday and hopefully Orton knows he has a receiver in Marshall that can make plays on less than perfect deep balls. That starts happening then folks will have to account for BMarsh a little more and have to ease the pressure elsewhere which should free up either Gaffney or Royal. Once Sheffler starts working deep middle this thing will be on like Barry and Lavon.

In short, a little sophomore slump for Royal that should be addressed as the playbook opens up throughout the season.

Muddled
10-05-2009, 01:49 PM
I noticed him beginning to show real signs of frustration yesterday, and by now I'm beginning to really worry about him too. He did have that one clutch catch on the last drive though

broncowill
10-05-2009, 01:57 PM
royal never runs anything past 10 yards so the defense always plays tight coverage which is hard to get seperation whith 10 yard routes, also Kyle Orton seems a little afraid to through it to receivers unless they are wide open. if they are not wide open he always tries to be extra careful and make it nearly impossible for the reciever to catch it.

cmhargrove
10-05-2009, 02:00 PM
We're not stretching the field because Orton hasn't been looking deep. That changed a little bit yesterday and hopefully Orton knows he has a receiver in Marshall that can make plays on less than perfect deep balls. That starts happening then folks will have to account for BMarsh a little more and have to ease the pressure elsewhere which should free up either Gaffney or Royal. Once Sheffler starts working deep middle this thing will be on like Barry and Lavon.

In short, a little sophomore slump for Royal that should be addressed as the playbook opens up throughout the season.

This.

Marshall was a huge part of the gameplan last year, constantly drawing double coverage and freeing up Royal. Just give it time, Royal will come through for this team.

rastaman
10-05-2009, 02:00 PM
Royal is either going thru a sophmore slump or Orton erratic-play it safe-don't force any throws is having a profound negative effect of Royals 2nd season. QB's with big arms such as Ryan, Brees, Manning, Flacco, Farve, etc would be better able to utilize Royal.

listopencil
10-05-2009, 02:14 PM
I know he's a good route runner. I'm not sure why he's starting so slowly.

Honestly, from what I've seen, he's not running routes as well as he should. He can still come out of his breaks very, very well. He can get open in a flash. But I don't see him using his routes to get open as well as Stokely does, for instance. I'd even say that Gaffney runs better routes. I haven't broken down game film all year like some of the posters here do, and I haven't even been able to watch every game. But from what I've seen his timing is a tad off and he's breaking into coverage instead of away from it sometimes.

I know it's an unpopular idea but Cutler was able to gun the ball in there whenever Royal flashed open. Orton either can't or won't. I'm hoping Royal just keeps progressing because I do think he should develop into a remarkable WR. I think he will.

When he was drafted I pegged him as either a #2 or a #3 WR. Last year he looked more like a #1/#2 guy. But that's with great Pass Pro by the line, a gunslinger QB and being bracket by outstanding WR's at #1 and #3. I think he'll get there. I think this O is a work in progress, and it may not hit full stride until the last quarter of the year. Thankfully, with our D, looks like those games will be meaningful.

Tombstone RJ
10-05-2009, 02:19 PM
He's probably not getting separation the way he did last year. Plus, Orton is more conservative in his throws. Add those two together and you get less receptions for Royal.

He's still a big play WR and he'll get his opportunities..

Crashman44b
10-05-2009, 02:20 PM
What's wrong with Royal?

hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Hilarious! Plus +1. Meet the new Trent Dilfer.LOL

NYBronco
10-05-2009, 02:26 PM
Hilarious! Plus +1. Meet the new Trent Dilfer.LOL

SB Championship here we come.

TheReverend
10-05-2009, 02:45 PM
I posted a thread about this recently and have since paid very close attention to the situation.

McDaniels has reigned Orton into his comfort level so this won't happen:

http://i28.tinypic.com/rvvwy8.gif

It's working, so stay with what's effective and let the receivers whine if they want to. It's somewhat funny because it seems we've swapped game plans and offenses with Chicago, outside of our O-Line dominance.

Last year we lit it up with our receiving weapons and Orton made Olsen and Forte house-hold names catching check down balls.

We had the weapons here, Chicago had no one, so you'd think the trend would've continued. However it seems Muhsin Mohammed's "Chicago is where receivers go to die" was correct. It was the QB and not the receivers, as we're seeing his comfort level duplicated here.

As long as it's working, who cares? Outside of our receivers and their agents come contract time.

Cito Pelon
10-05-2009, 04:23 PM

What is the deal!

It's possible he has a nagging injury that has him at 80%. He doesn't quite have the explosiveness I've seen before.

DBroncos4life
10-05-2009, 04:28 PM
It looks like we used all the plays up for him in preseason.

Sassy
10-05-2009, 04:35 PM
To me it always looks like Royal is slipping out there....esp. on st.

broncswin
10-05-2009, 04:36 PM
This.

Marshall was a huge part of the gameplan last year, constantly drawing double coverage and freeing up Royal. Just give it time, Royal will come through for this team.

Bingo, you can tell this O is starting to click...one piece at a time, I think Royal will eventually break out in this sytem...he does have a lot of frustration right now, but I noticed on his punt returns that he is starting to understand the speed and angles of a good returner...I hope this statement doesn't come back to haunt me...I think Royal will turn into a great returner. His catches will come, but he has to get that focus back and understand that he wont constantly be pressured by the D if Marshall continues to shine.

broncswin
10-05-2009, 04:38 PM
I posted a thread about this recently and have since paid very close attention to the situation.

It's working, so stay with what's effective and let the receivers whine if they want to. It's somewhat funny because it seems we've swapped game plans and offenses with Chicago, outside of our O-Line dominance.

Last year we lit it up with our receiving weapons and Orton made Olsen and Forte house-hold names catching check down balls.

We had the weapons here, Chicago had no one, so you'd think the trend would've continued. However it seems Muhsin Mohammed's "Chicago is where receivers go to die" was correct. It was the QB and not the receivers, as we're seeing his comfort level duplicated here.

As long as it's working, who cares? Outside of our receivers and their agents come contract time.

good post Rev:thumbsup:

DBroncos4life
10-05-2009, 04:38 PM
I don't mind the screen plays on third and long but I would like to see them go to Royal instead of Graham. While I think Graham is doing very well at them in picking up yards and almost getting the first downs on the plays it would be nice to find away to get Royal into the mix. Maybe get him out of this funk he is in, not only that Royal is a tad more dangerous with the ball in his hand. It would be nice to get Marshall and Royal both going with this running game.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
10-05-2009, 05:07 PM
I still think he'd be ideal for the slot, and I'm not sure why he hasn't played there while Stokley has been out...

tonngo0
10-05-2009, 05:17 PM
It has to do with the QB, yesterday on 3rd down, BM was one on one with the rookie cb and what did Orton do ... well Orton swing pass to Knowshown for 2 yds, and seeing BM frustrated on TV. Same thing with Royal ... just have to be patient until Orton get more confidence.

boppool
10-05-2009, 05:37 PM
I think it is this. BM hasn't been a large part of the offense yet, and Royal is also paying the price.

Remember the week 1 game against Faiders last year, when BM was suspended for the game?
If I'm not mistaken, Royal blew up with something like 15 catches for 200yds.

It's all Orton...

elsid13
10-05-2009, 05:49 PM
Royal is playing the role Gaffney did in the NE offense last season, not the slot like most thought he would happen. Which means that Royal is looking at between 35 to 40 catches and 450 to 550 yards. Add in the fact that Orton will check down because he ultra caution with the ball, and Royal is looking at sub-par year statically.

DBroncos4life
10-05-2009, 05:57 PM
With everyone having to eat crow you would think people would start eating some about Royal being the best WR on the team.

gyldenlove
10-05-2009, 06:03 PM
Royal needs space to operate and he is not getting it. We saw last year that what he does well is run double moves which we don't use a lot with Orton since they take a long time to develope and when he can hit quick cuts and get a laser right in the numbers which is not Orton's forte.

Royal needs a QB who can put lasers in tight spaces and who takes chances to make plays, or he needs to move to the slot where he doesn't get man coverage and can find an opening in the zone. As long as he is lined up on the outside and in man coverage he is not going to get open that often.

Marshall is a lot better off on that outside because he can make the catch in jump ball situations and can wall off a defender more naturally. Right now Stokley plays that role of slot WR, zone read that Welker plays in Boston, I think Royal will take that spot over eventually and do very well.

Garcia Bronco
10-05-2009, 06:12 PM
this the post right here

bottom line is he isn't getting open.

Honestly, from what I've seen, he's not running routes as well as he should. He can still come out of his breaks very, very well. He can get open in a flash. But I don't see him using his routes to get open as well as Stokely does, for instance. I'd even say that Gaffney runs better routes. I haven't broken down game film all year like some of the posters here do, and I haven't even been able to watch every game. But from what I've seen his timing is a tad off and he's breaking into coverage instead of away from it sometimes.

I know it's an unpopular idea but Cutler was able to gun the ball in there whenever Royal flashed open. Orton either can't or won't. I'm hoping Royal just keeps progressing because I do think he should develop into a remarkable WR. I think he will.

When he was drafted I pegged him as either a #2 or a #3 WR. Last year he looked more like a #1/#2 guy. But that's with great Pass Pro by the line, a gunslinger QB and being bracket by outstanding WR's at #1 and #3. I think he'll get there. I think this O is a work in progress, and it may not hit full stride until the last quarter of the year. Thankfully, with our D, looks like those games will be meaningful.

2KBack
10-05-2009, 06:19 PM
Remember the week 1 game against Faiders last year, when BM was suspended for the game?
If I'm not mistaken, Royal blew up with something like 15 catches for 200yds.

It's all Orton...

9 for 146

too bad we can't play Deangelo Hall every week

titan
10-05-2009, 07:54 PM
I noticed him beginning to show real signs of frustration yesterday, and by now I'm beginning to really worry about him too. He did have that one clutch catch on the last drive though

I've noticed Royal complaining more, about lack of interference calls (happened twice at least yesterday). I thought he'd be great in this offense (the Wes Welker role). I keep hoping for a breakout game from Eddie.

His taco bell commercials are lame, too.

baja
10-05-2009, 07:59 PM
Wisely Josh is bringing this offense along very conservatively, I'm thinking the O won't hit its stride until after the bye.

Sassy
10-05-2009, 08:15 PM
Wisely Josh is bringing this offense along very conservatively, I'm thinking the O won't hit its stride until after the bye.

Maybe he has a few surprises in store for his ex-team!:strong:

TheReverend
10-05-2009, 08:17 PM

Fortunately NE looks human. Still very good, but more human than they have in a while aside from Cassel last year. We may need to hit stride now though.

baja
10-05-2009, 08:23 PM
Fortunately NE looks human. Still very good, but more human than they have in a while aside from Cassel last year. We may need to hit stride now though.

Ya think Josh wants this game??

I think he has been game planning this NE game laying in bed before he goes to sleep since he was named HC.

broncogary
10-05-2009, 08:29 PM
I've noticed Royal complaining more, about lack of interference calls (happened twice at least yesterday). I thought he'd be great in this offense (the Wes Welker role). I keep hoping for a breakout game from Eddie.

His taco bell commercials are lame, too.

Yes, it appears that he's frustrated and pressing. On punt returns, he almost always makes the wrong cut because he's trying so hard to make something happen.

All he needs is one good break to get going again. And hopefully, Stokely will be back this week, to add another threat.

cartel
10-05-2009, 08:46 PM
lacks explosion right now, seems hesitant and looks like he's trying to do too much.

JJJ
10-05-2009, 11:38 PM
Orton is very inaccurate past 15 yards. He can't stretch the field the way Cutler did so that underneath stuff just won't be there for Royal.

McD is pretty smart in limiting Orton's throws downfield otherwise it would be pick city. I have really never seen a guy with zero picks in four games throw so many near picks. Not sure this will continue, especially if you ever have to start playing catch up in some games. But he may have a Dilfer season in him.

Your offense in general is half of what it was last year. I will be amazed if you have a game with 3 offenses TDs which was routine last year.

But you have a defense now so you probably don't need it. A much more balanced less error-proned team overall. Great first quarter of the season.

maher_tyler
10-06-2009, 01:17 AM
Yes, it appears that he's frustrated and pressing. On punt returns, he almost always makes the wrong cut because he's trying so hard to make something happen.

All he needs is one good break to get going again. And hopefully, Stokely will be back this week, to add another threat.

I agree but to add onto this i just don't think he has grasp of this offense. If you look at it, the WR's/TE's with the best numbers are either Vets or played with NE and in McD's offense in the past. This is only his 2nd season! I specifically remember on a play, can't remember when but saw Gaffney having to show Royal where to line up or what to do/where to go!

I don't think this O is running on all cylinders!! We're playing pretty conservative for the most part!!

broncogary
10-06-2009, 06:49 AM
I agree but to add onto this i just don't think he has grasp of this offense. If you look at it, the WR's/TE's with the best numbers are either Vets or played with NE and in McD's offense in the past. This is only his 2nd season! I specifically remember on a play, can't remember when but saw Gaffney having to show Royal where to line up or what to do/where to go!

I don't think this O is running on all cylinders!! We're playing pretty conservative for the most part!!

He looked pretty good in the pre-season, though.

rastaman
10-06-2009, 07:04 AM

I agree! Right now everything is fine, unless the Defense is hit with the injury bug of key personnel or the injuries to or running backs as what happened last year. Buckhalter, Moreno, and Hillis all must stay healthy.

TonyR
10-06-2009, 07:17 AM
I've noticed Royal complaining more, about lack of interference calls (happened twice at least yesterday).

He and Hillis have both seemed lackluster and appear frustrated. Some combination of trouble grasping the offense, lack of opportunity, and nagging injuries, perhaps? I think most of us were expecting them to be big parts of the offense, and maybe they had similar expectations. Both have instead been spectators. Let's hope they are both factors in this offense getting better.

bronco militia
10-13-2009, 11:51 AM
there's nothing wrong with eddie....

it was that damn QB errrrrrrr glove ;D

tsiguy96
10-13-2009, 11:57 AM
coaches and stuff were right, eddie was fine he was just drawing a lot of coverage

gyldenlove
10-13-2009, 11:59 AM
coaches and stuff were right, eddie was fine he was just drawing a lot of coverage

He finally got to use his ability to run routes and cut, instead of going downfield where his size is a detriment. He cuts his routes so crisply that if you play 5 steps off he will burn you on that hitch every time and with Orton not wearing a glove he has the velocity now to make those timing throws.

DHallblows
10-13-2009, 12:08 PM
Once is a fluke, twice is a trend...

jutang
10-13-2009, 12:35 PM
With Marshall finding his groove, Eddie is going have a lot more open field. He finally became the third down go to guy that a lot of us were expecting this season.

bronco militia
10-13-2009, 12:49 PM
With Marshall finding his groove, Eddie is going have a lot more open field. He finally became the third down go to guy that a lot of us were expecting this season.

this has nothing to do with brandon marshall.

having a QB throw quick cool passes away from defenders helps a lot.

ludo21
10-13-2009, 01:07 PM
looked good this weekend, hope he keeps it up!!

Our offense is slowly getting better and better, gotta love it!

jutang
10-13-2009, 01:43 PM
this has nothing to do with brandon marshall.

having a QB throw quick cool passes away from defenders helps a lot.

So if Marshall wasn't playing... Royal would have had all those third down opportunities??