PDA

View Full Version : PFTV looks at whether the Broncos are for real

Bronco Rob
10-02-2009, 08:15 PM
PFTV looks at whether the Broncos are for real
Posted by Mike Florio on October 2, 2009 9:38 PM ET
In nine days, after the Broncos host the Cowboys and the Patriots, we'll have a pretty good idea as to whether Denver is for real.

But we're not nearly that patient. (It's the adult ADD.)

So, instead, we've opted to consider the question as our final PFTV segment of the week.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/10/02/pftv-looks-at-whether-the-broncos-are-for-real/

BroncoSojia
10-02-2009, 08:16 PM
<div><iframe height="339" width="425" src="http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/28354881/vp/33119343#33119343" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe><p style="font-size:11px; font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; color: #999; margin-top: 5px; background: transparent; text-align: center; width: 425px;"><a href="http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/24471749" style="text-decoration:none !important; border-bottom: 1px dotted #999 !important; font-weight:normal !important; height: 13px; color:#5799DB !important;">Breaking sports news video</a>. <a href="http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/3032825" style="text-decoration:none !important; border-bottom: 1px dotted #999 !important; font-weight:normal !important; height: 13px; color:#5799DB !important;">MLB</a>, <a href="http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/3032875" style="text-decoration:none !important; border-bottom: 1px dotted #999 !important; font-weight:normal !important; height: 13px; color:#5799DB !important;">NFL</a>, <a href="http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/3032847" style="text-decoration:none !important; border-bottom: 1px dotted #999 !important; font-weight:normal !important; height: 13px; color:#5799DB !important;">NBA</a>, <a href="http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/3032803" style="text-decoration:none !important; border-bottom: 1px dotted #999 !important; font-weight:normal !important; height: 13px; color:#5799DB !important;">NHL highlights</a> and <a href="http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/24471749" style="text-decoration:none !important; border-bottom: 1px dotted #999 !important; font-weight:normal !important; height: 13px; color:#5799DB !important;">more</a>.</p></div>

Bronco Rob
10-02-2009, 08:19 PM
:thumbsup:

:thumbsup:

Rulon Velvet Jones
10-02-2009, 08:33 PM
A buddy of mine, NFL scout for 13 years, says Denver does some VERY nice things and could easily take the game this Sunday. He really likes what he sees on both sides of the ball. He says, though, that Clady could be a little better in run blocking and doesn't see all the hype behind Hillis when the game is broken down. He was surprised at how good this team really is, after looking at the game film.

cutthemdown
10-02-2009, 08:33 PM
Florio for some reason hated Shanny. Seems like he is warming a tad to Broncos now that we are sort of the underdog.

Still Florio took a stupid NFL rumor site and parlayed it into being a someone in the NFL media circle. What he did isn't easy to do.

Still I don't think he is all that smart when it comes to x's and o's. Now getting under peoples skins, he is as good as Rush Limbaugh, Glenn Beck, Jesse Jackson and Micheal Moore all in one.

The truth is no one knows if broncos are as good as the numbers say.

For certain a game is on the Horizon where Orton will have to take some chances instead of throw ball away. That's when we will see if this team can win anything other then a defensive game.

cutthemdown
10-02-2009, 08:34 PM
I'll be honest, I haven't bought into the Hillis hype. He's a nice utility player, a serviceable FB. Larsen IMO is a better FB then Hillis. Larsen gets into the hole faster and never misses a collision.

snowspot66
10-02-2009, 09:02 PM
Hillis can do more though. Excellent hands and a hard runner. We would be foolish to ever get rid of him. At the very least he's a special teams demon. The guy is always making the tackles.

Bronco Rob
10-03-2009, 09:38 AM
:strong:

tsiguy96
10-03-2009, 09:42 AM
the movethesticks guy on twitter says hillis has the best hands of any RB in the NFL...

Kaylore
10-03-2009, 09:46 AM
They hit on my biggest gripe. I get that we beat up on soft opponents, but we beat the piss out of them. These are teams that last year passed all over us with effectively the same personnel. Bad or average teams let bad teams hang around. We're destroying our opponents.

The other thin is that of the remaining thirteen games, even if we only win five we still finish at .500. I have trouble believing we lose less than four of the next thirteen. We look too good and we keep getting better every game.

HEAV
10-03-2009, 09:57 AM
Mike Florio has calmed down his tone overall, the NBC deal would do that anyone. He's not a practicing lawyer anymore and has long as NBC is paying the bills he won't seen in a court room (as a lawyer) again. He's got aspirations of being an Adam Schefter type reporter someday.

BroncoInSkinland
10-03-2009, 10:04 AM
They hit on my biggest gripe. I get that we beat up on soft opponents, but we beat the piss out of them. These are teams that last year passed all over us with effectively the same personnel. Bad or average teams let bad teams hang around. We're destroying our opponents.

The other thin is that of the remaining thirteen games, even if we only win five we still finish at .500. I have trouble believing we lose less than four of the next thirteen. We look too good and we keep getting better every game.

Everyone is destroying the Browns. That Ravens game was brutal, and the Vikings was much more of a blowout than the score reflected. The Browns are beating themselves that badly every week. Mangini is in way over his head trying to turn around a very shoddy team, and it is leading to an epic meltdown of the entire organization (IMHO). Anything from the Browns game (aside from the W for the season record) is suspect. Raiders looked tougher against SD than they did against us though, so I agree with half your point. The Browns are just so phenomenally bad right now I don't see any way to take any sort of pride from beating them.

HEAV
10-03-2009, 10:09 AM

Also when you look at what the Bengals have done the past two weeks dropping 31 and 23 on the Packers and Steelers. Well it makes me think the Broncos defense better than any of us thought it would be.

We all know Sunday is the first big test. This will be the most balanced offense the Broncos have faced this year so far.

With Fox carrying the game over 90% of the country...everone will find out real this team is or isn't.

Kaylore
10-03-2009, 10:39 AM
Everyone is destroying the Browns. That Ravens game was brutal, and the Vikings was much more of a blowout than the score reflected. The Browns are beating themselves that badly every week. Mangini is in way over his head trying to turn around a very shoddy team, and it is leading to an epic meltdown of the entire organization (IMHO). Anything from the Browns game (aside from the W for the season record) is suspect. Raiders looked tougher against SD than they did against us though, so I agree with half your point. The Browns are just so phenomenally bad right now I don't see any way to take any sort of pride from beating them.

What's funny is the media is hanging on the Ravens and Vikings junk for beating them and then when we do it's because they suck. I agree they are awful, but there is a double standard. When we beat them it's because they suck and people go out of their way to say we aren't that good. The Ravens beat them the same way and it's because the Ravens are awesome and that game proves the awesomeness.

BroncoInSkinland
10-03-2009, 10:48 AM
What's funny is the media is hanging on the Ravens and Vikings junk for beating them and then when we do it's because they suck. I agree they are awful, but there is a double standard. When we beat them it's because they suck and people go out of their way to say we aren't that good. The Ravens beat them the same way and it's because the Ravens are awesome and that game proves the awesomeness.

Oh well if you want to examine the media slant reagrding the Denver Broncos we will have to go back a LONG way before the Browns game, heck we might even have to go back before our current front O for that investigation.

BroncoBuff
10-03-2009, 10:57 AM
They're right ... the next 9 days will tell us all we need to know.

I'm not gonna waste time fretting over this ... if they're not impressed we have the #1 defense in the league by a margin of 30 or 40 yards, fine. I can wait.

Chris
10-03-2009, 10:59 AM
The media doesn't like the Broncos. I accepted that years ago and it makes winning all the more sweet.

Rock Chalk
10-03-2009, 11:00 AM
Worst case scenario Sunday (in a Denver win that is): Denver shuts Dallas out and drops 40+ on them.

It will almost CERTAINLY be that something is wrong in Dallas. Denver needs to win, by at least two scores and limit Dallas offensively but not completely shut them down. Thats the best thing for media respect that could happen.

Personally I would rather us drop 40+ on them and shut them out. **** the media.

BroncoBuff
10-03-2009, 12:51 PM
The media doesn't like the Broncos. I accepted that years ago and it makes winning all the more sweet.

I'm not sure I agree ... we have the longest streak of MNF appearances. It's about 18 years in a row, more than any team in the league. Maybe it's just the Shanahan/Cutler/McD/Marshall stuff, but we've also recieved huge pub this offseason. And to be honest, the Broncos are on here n Seattle all the time ... I think I went out just 6 or 7 times last year.

lex
10-03-2009, 12:54 PM
I'm not sure I agree ... we have the longest streak of MNF appearances. It's about 18 years in a row, more than any team in the league. Maybe it's just the Shanahan/Cutler/McD/Marshall stuff, but we've also recieved huge pub this offseason. And to be honest, the Broncos are on here n Seattle all the time ... I think I went out just 6 or 7 times last year.

Theres can be a difference between being a popular team and being liked by the media though. And when a lot of people say media, theyre often talking about the east coast media, which acts like professional football became a sport in 2001.

cutthemdown
10-03-2009, 01:58 PM
the movethesticks guy on twitter says hillis has the best hands of any RB in the NFL...

well so far this yr he dropped a pass and fumbled once. Not sure how anyone with the best hands in NFL could let that happen.

I like Hillis but hes not best in the NFL at anything.

DBroncos4life
10-03-2009, 02:33 PM

How would anyone even know this? Has he looked at the hands of every RB in the NFL and thought well hell Hillis sure takes care of his hands? Tim Hightower leads all RBs with 20 catches, Fred Jackson and Chester Taylor each have 14 more catches then Hillis. I just think if Hillis was as good as this movethesticks guy claims he would have more then 5 touches on O.