PDA

View Full Version : If you go by the preseason, Jason Whitten should have a big game

bronco0608
10-01-2009, 08:37 PM
I remember in preseason we really had trouble with TEs. We couldn't handle Vernon Davis and Greg Olsen. Now I know it was only preseason, but I really don't see anyone on our defense than can matchup with elite TEs. In our first three games, we really didn't face an elite TE.

If we can control Whitten, we win going away. But if we can't matchup with him, it should be a tight one.

Anyone think differently?

ward63
10-01-2009, 08:40 PM
There's no H in Witten

bronco0608
10-01-2009, 08:41 PM
There's no H in Witten

Oh no! What are we to do???

baja
10-01-2009, 08:42 PM
Witten is Heartless???

cutthemdown
10-01-2009, 09:27 PM
Broncos have to double him just like the did Zach Miller, who by the way is probably a top 10 TE. Witten however is among the elite TE and will be a test. I agree its a key to the game he doesn't catch balls for 1st downs.

Broncos will have Haggan dog him off the line, Or DJ dog him off the line, then stay in his hip pocket through his route.

Then probably on certain downs they will throw a safety over the top, bracket him, and hope Romo throws into double coverage.

I have faith that Hill can play him over the top, and that our front seven can dog him off the line. Witten just really good and might go off anyways.

maher_tyler
10-01-2009, 09:31 PM
Broncos have to double him just like the did Zach Miller, who by the way is probably a top 10 TE. Witten however is among the elite TE and will be a test. I agree its a key to the game he doesn't catch balls for 1st downs.

Broncos will have Haggan dog him off the line, Or DJ dog him off the line, then stay in his hip pocket through his route.

Then probably on certain downs they will throw a safety over the top, bracket him, and hope Romo throws into double coverage.

I have faith that Hill can play him over the top, and that our front seven can dog him off the line. Witten just really good and might go off anyways.

I was gonna say, we just played Miller last weekend. Though Romo is a much better QB than Russell so i guess we'll see. He could have good numbers but everyone else might not..who knows!

tsiguy96
10-01-2009, 09:32 PM
zach miller got open a lot, the LBs struggle in coverage. that seems to be the glaring weakness on D. we just gotta shut em down then score fast and make romo throw, he WILL throw picks if the game is on his shoulders

yerner
10-01-2009, 09:35 PM
where's sam brandon when you need him?

Jason in LA
10-01-2009, 09:37 PM
Preseason isn't a true indicator for anything.

cutthemdown
10-01-2009, 09:38 PM
yeah none of our linebackers can play witten 1-1 for more then say 3-4 snaps a game. Most of the time we will want to bracket him up in a big ole zone. Over/under type stuff like I was saying before.

Much better for Broncos to go 1-1 champ/williams then any other matchup. Or whatever WR dallas puts on that side I'm not sure.

If its williams vs Goodman, then I would think he gets some help as well. Crayton I doubt could shake loose from champ for much.

Bronco Boy
10-01-2009, 10:19 PM
There's no H in Witten

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Sl8JEeYvuKM&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Sl8JEeYvuKM&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

kappys
10-01-2009, 11:27 PM
Witten's one of those players that's hard not to like. Kind of like a Rod Smith type of guy - unheralded but has worked his way into becoming one of the best TE's in the league. Also a good character guy.

That said I hope he chokes big time on Sunday!

Archer81
10-01-2009, 11:34 PM
Oh...so did the Broncos go from preseason directly to week 4?

:Broncos:

PRBronco
10-01-2009, 11:51 PM
Didn't Barrett do a half decent job covering Gonzo last year? I wiped out most memories of anything the defense did last year, but I have a vague recollection of this.

Doggcow
10-01-2009, 11:54 PM
Didn't Barrett do a half decent job covering Gonzo last year? I wiped out most memories of anything the defense did last year, but I have a vague recollection of this.

Barrett can cover man up fairly well, his instincts guide him (for better or worse), once he gets more experience he can crush, he has all the physical tools.

HAT
10-01-2009, 11:57 PM
If you go by preaseason................You're not very,,,Ah hell, nevermind.

Old Dude
10-02-2009, 08:01 AM
If it's any consolation, Vernon Davis has been having a great year so far, so I don't think his performance in the first preseason game was just a reflection of poor coverage by Denver.

I fully expect Witten to have a good game against us this week. He's an excellent player and he's going to get his receptions. It's just a matter of trying to limit the damage.

lex
10-02-2009, 08:07 AM

He embarrassed Gonzalez last year. I was especially amused when Gonzalez would try to draw a call without being touched.

dbfan21
10-02-2009, 08:13 AM
What about having a LB slow Witten up at the LOS and then assign a S (Hill/Barrett/Dawkins) to him in the secondary?

Just a thought...

Eldorado
10-02-2009, 08:16 AM
He embarrassed Gonzalez last year. I was especially amused when Gonzalez would try to draw a call without being touched.

Up is down. Dogs and cats living together. Me agreeing with and even enjoying one of lex's posts.

brb, I need to go gargle some bleach.

Rohirrim
10-02-2009, 08:21 AM
I don't really care about Witten getting his catches. It's yac that concerns me. With the tackling the Broncos secondary has been coming up with lately, not that big of a concern. Let him catch it, then whack him. If the Broncos can make the Cowpukes one dimensional, and that one dimension is Witten, okay by me.

lex
10-02-2009, 08:28 AM
I don't really care about Witten getting his catches. It's yac that concerns me. With the tackling the Broncos secondary has been coming up with lately, not that big of a concern. Let him catch it, then whack him. If the Broncos can make the Cowpukes one dimensional, and that one dimension is Witten, okay by me.

If you can stop the run, the first place Romo would be looking is Witten, especially if Doom is getting any kind of a pass rush. If you can make Romo go beyond his comfort zone, which is throwing to Witten, it stands to reason that you increase your chances of him making a mistake, whether by bad throw or miscommunication with a WR he is less comfortable with.

This game is a little similar to what it used to be like playing the Chiefs.