PDA

View Full Version : Do you think Josh McD has brought back the old Mile High Magic?

baja
09-30-2009, 07:15 PM
You guessed it!!!!

Poll coming.

TDmvp
09-30-2009, 07:18 PM
Jeez they should ban you for wasting bandwidth.

colonelbeef
09-30-2009, 07:21 PM
You love poles

baja
09-30-2009, 07:21 PM
Jeez they should ban you for wasting bandwidth.

Delete that post - save bandwidth

DBroncos4life
09-30-2009, 07:22 PM
For your next two polls you should do is this the best 3-0 Broncos team ever followed by is this the best 3-0 team McD is ever been a coach on.

baja
09-30-2009, 07:23 PM
You love poles

Ya and I liker polls too.

TDmvp
09-30-2009, 07:23 PM
You love poles

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj236/n0rthkid513/YOURE_GONNA_LOVE_MY_NUTS.jpg

baja
09-30-2009, 07:25 PM
For your next two polls you should do is this the best 3-0 Broncos team ever followed by is this the best 3-0 team McD is ever been a coach on.

Na you do it, I never know what the fuuck you are talking about.

tsiguy96
09-30-2009, 07:26 PM
as long as we win vs the pats tahts all that matters, i want to see them actually win a game i attend.

baja
09-30-2009, 07:29 PM
as long as we win vs the pats tahts all that matters, i want to see them actually win a game i attend.

would you trade two loses for a guaranteed win over NE?

UberBroncoMan
09-30-2009, 07:30 PM
Baja you're turning into the new Hotrod with all these polls/threads lol.

Anyway... the crowd during Cleavland wasn't that energetic... not even close to the Chicago PRESEASON game. Yeah Cutler was there but w/e, that energy was seen all the time back in the day.

It's too early to make assessments right now, just like it's stupid to say we're going to shutdown the Cowboys based on our first 3 games. We need more data.

DBroncos4life
09-30-2009, 07:38 PM

Anyway... the crowd during Cleavland wasn't that energetic... not even close to the Chicago PRESEASON game. Yeah Cutler was there but w/e, that energy was seen all the time back in the day.

It's too early to make assessments right now, just like it's stupid to say we're going to shutdown the Cowboys based on our first 3 games. We need more data.

Brian Billick believes you need 4 games to get a feel of what to expect the rest of the way. He calls it the quarter mark. To me mile high magic was the fourth quarter with the game close and Elway has the ball. That is what I think of but that is just me. It was something watching the game on TV seeing the old stadium shake like it did. I just don't see that swagger being matched like that ever again. Maybe when the stadium gets older it will return.

Broncoman13
09-30-2009, 07:41 PM
You guessed it!!!!

Poll coming.

He's played one game at Mile High... jumping the gun a bit???

baja
09-30-2009, 08:03 PM
He's played one game at Mile High... jumping the gun a bit???

I feel it coming a big Mile High Home Field....

OSKIE

baja
09-30-2009, 08:04 PM

Ha ha I was making polls long before hotrod in fact I learned him... ;D

colonelbeef
09-30-2009, 08:48 PM
Ya and I liker polls too.

haha

colonelbeef
09-30-2009, 08:50 PM
I attribute the crowd noise one way or another to the defense's performance, and the defense has been stout so far, so it stands to reason that the crowd would seem more lively at this point.

Either way, I will withhold judgment until the end of the season, or at least until a late season game of importance.

baja
09-30-2009, 09:00 PM
I guarantee you the announcers will be talking about Mike High Magic and home field advantage before the game is over.

strafen
09-30-2009, 09:06 PM
It's kind of too early to tell, but I do certainly give Mcdaniels all the credit not so much for being 3-0, but forthe way the team is playing. They're playing inspired, they're playing with passion, and you couldn't ask for more
They can only keep getting better especially on defense as they gel by mid-season...

Spider
09-30-2009, 09:09 PM
crazy ass Baja .......... Love ya like a brother bro ......... ;D
winning cures everything

tsiguy96
09-30-2009, 09:09 PM
would you trade two loses for a guaranteed win over NE?

yes, but ONLY under a certain scenario:
we DO make the playoffs, and we HAVE locked up home field advantage OR even with the additional win we would NOT be able to get home field advantage.

if it takes LOSING to the pats for the team to make the playoffs, absolutely not, id want them to forfeit to avoid injury!

Meck77
09-30-2009, 09:21 PM
Mile High magic is as contagious as the H1N1.

Spider
09-30-2009, 09:30 PM
Mile High magic is as contagious as the H1N1.

you should know more then anyone else ;D

scorpio
09-30-2009, 09:44 PM
You guessed it!!!!

Poll coming.

Another great thread by baja.

DenverBrit
09-30-2009, 09:47 PM
He's brought back the desire to make many polls!! Ha!

baja
09-30-2009, 10:25 PM
this, Dawkins, On the chemistry in the locker room
"I love it. You are seeing a selfless brand of ball. I can't speak for the offense 100 percent because I am not in their meeting rooms, but all I know is on defense, it matters not who makes a play. We all make that play. If 'E' (OLB/DE Elvis Dumervil) makes a sack, we made that sack. If (CB) Champ (Bailey) gets an interception, we all made that interception. We are excited for that individual. It is not a selfish group. I would say the same thing for the offense. (QB Kyle Orton) is spreading the ball to a gazillion wide receivers. All of them are capable of getting big yards, same thing with the running backs. This is a team that is moving in the right direction. We have yet some ways to go. We are not hanging our hat on anything. We have yet some things to correct offensively and defensively, but the direction is a positive one, which is always a good thing."

listopencil
09-30-2009, 11:32 PM
Brian Billick believes you need 4 games to get a feel of what to expect the rest of the way. He calls it the quarter mark. To me mile high magic was the fourth quarter with the game close and Elway has the ball. That is what I think of but that is just me. It was something watching the game on TV seeing the old stadium shake like it did. I just don't see that swagger being matched like that ever again. Maybe when the stadium gets older it will return.

Mile High Magic is when we block a FG but it doesn't count. So they kick it again and we block it again.

Or when our Offense finally commits a turnover for the first time in a season, in the shadow of our own goalposts, and our Defense takes the ball right back...hmm. Gonna have to think about this one.

baja
10-01-2009, 10:34 AM
Option #1 got the most votes.

YES, because of conditioning and team cohesiveness he has reignited home field advantage.

Beantown Bronco
10-01-2009, 10:41 AM
I think I'll wait until more than one game is played at home under McD's watch, especially considering that during that one game the home fans were clearly restless and booing the home team's offense for a noticeable chunk of the first half.

baja
10-01-2009, 10:48 AM
I think I'll wait until more than one game is played at home under McD's watch, especially considering that during that one game the home fans were clearly restless and booing the home team's offense for a noticeable chunk of the first half.

Guess I wasn't very clear. I was referring more to the altitude and the better level of conditioning McD has brought to the Broncos compared to the Club Med Shanny ran. We had lost our 'thin air' advantage under Shanahan and I believe Josh has brought it back. This poll is not about the fans my bad for not being clear.

Meck77
10-01-2009, 10:55 AM

I certainly understand your point of view but think about this. Mile High Magic IMO is the relationship between the team and the fans in the Stadium. One feeds off the other. That magic just can't be felt via the omane.

If all the fans in the stadium took this "wait and see" approach then it really would never happen. Take guys like Barrelman for instance. He spent decades in that stadium getting people pumped up, starting the wave, and basically making people get out of their seats even though they weren't motivated to do so.

I guess what I'm saying is it takes that blind faith in the fans to support their teams thru thick and thin. Waiting for things in life to happen doesn't work either. You have to will them if you want it. :thumbs:

spdirty
10-01-2009, 10:59 AM
Brought the magic back so much that I went out and bought a Broncos scratch ticket the other day and won $10! Yay me!

Beantown Bronco
10-01-2009, 11:06 AM
I certainly understand your point of view but think about this. Mile High Magic IMO is the relationship between the team and the fans in the Stadium. One feeds off the other. That magic just can't be felt via the omane.

That's precisely what I was referring to. I wasn't talking about the tone here at the Mane. I was talking about the very specific instance of the crowd that was present at the Cleveland game. It's a small sample size, but it's the only one we have available to us so far. It was obvious even watching on tv that that crowd was FAR from magic, aside from a few very specific plays.

But it looks like baja is going in another direction entirely with this thread, if you go by his post just above. Looks like he's going in less of a true "Mile High Fan Magic" kind of way and going more in a "Mile High Conditioning Test" kind of way.

baja
10-01-2009, 11:25 AM
That's precisely what I was referring to. I wasn't talking about the tone here at the Mane. I was talking about the very specific instance of the crowd that was present at the Cleveland game. It's a small sample size, but it's the only one we have available to us so far. It was obvious even watching on tv that that crowd was FAR from magic, aside from a few very specific plays.

But it looks like baja is going in another direction entirely with this thread, if you go by his post just above. Looks like he's going in less of a true "Mile High Fan Magic" kind of way and going more in a "Mile High Conditioning Test" kind of way.

The motivation for the thread was watching the Broncos last season lose games late because the other team pushed them all over the field in the 4th quarter. It was the Broncos that wore down at home the last two seasons and when your home field sits at 5280 feet that is a sacrilege. I see indicators that has changed under McD.

Durango
10-01-2009, 11:35 AM
The stadium is so different from Mile Hi. There was almost a family feeling to Mile Hi that isn't present in the new stadium, and a lot of the core fans who I remember around me have been replaced by a transient crowd, that is, new people every week or couple of weeks, like corporate seats or something. Every one of the long-time season ticket holders I know have noticed the same thing.

It isn't as loud either. Mile Hi could become deafening. This place roars to life from time to time, but I've never had to yell to say something to someone close by as was the case with the old stadium.

If your question was more about the spirit of Mile Hi, the camaraderie and closeness, it isn't even close. Not even remotely close.

cousinal11
10-01-2009, 11:56 AM
Ask Green Bay and Pittsburgh if Cincy is a ****ty team.

baja
10-05-2009, 06:50 PM
Did you see that fourth quarter - tell me the mile high magic is not in full effect once again.

Thanks Josh for whipping the men into shape and ending Club Med.

People don't want to play us once again.

Cito Pelon
10-05-2009, 08:58 PM
Man, the Josh/Bronco haters attacked this poll right away, didn't they.

Even though it's two weeks old, it still disgusts me to see how some posters went out of their way to piss on a positive outlook.

baja
10-05-2009, 09:00 PM
I like that Kaylore had the foresight to keep a file on some of the hater posts over the last few months.

Los Broncos
10-05-2009, 09:02 PM
If its back we will need all the magic we can get this Sunday.

baja
10-05-2009, 09:03 PM
we will own the 4th quarter.

baja
10-05-2009, 09:06 PM
Remember how the altitude was always a topic of conversation by the media before a Denver home game well it will be back soon.

Shanahan's Club Med had given that huge advantage away with his poorly conditioned lack luster players.

BroncoBuff
10-05-2009, 09:37 PM
This stadium will never be loud enough to match the old Mile High, but the home field advantage is back.

Bronx33
10-05-2009, 09:39 PM
You love poles

not your kinda poles.

baja
10-05-2009, 10:40 PM
This stadium will never be loud enough to match the old Mile High, but the home field advantage is back.

Why do you think so?

rastaman
10-06-2009, 03:25 AM

There's no "I" in Team!!!LOL

cutthemdown
10-06-2009, 03:35 AM
Why do you think so?

It has to do with design. The old stadium had noisier floors you could stomp down on.

We should cheat like the Seahawks do.

cutthemdown
10-06-2009, 03:36 AM
Or was that the Colts? someone was piping in crowd noise. LOL I love it!!!.

baja
10-06-2009, 06:35 AM
This stadium will never be loud enough to match the old Mile High,<b> but the home field advantage is back.

What caused that?

Beantown Bronco
10-06-2009, 07:18 AM
It has to do with design. The old stadium had noisier floors you could stomp down on.

Huh? It's not like they're concrete. They're all metal, more or less just like the old stadium.

Invesco was actually designed specifically by engineers to be potentially louder than the old stadium. I think they knew what they're doing. The problem isn't the stadium itself, it's the crowd within the stadium.

TailgateNut
10-06-2009, 07:27 AM
Huh? It's not like they're concrete. They're all metal, more or less just like the old stadium.

Invesco was actually designed specifically by engineers to be potentially louder than the old stadium. I think they knew what they're doing. The problem isn't the stadium itself, it's the crowd within the stadium.

That may be the issue, especially if they are like some of the engineers I encounter on my projects. Those online degrees just aren't designed for "design engineers".:wiggle:

In addition, the old Mile High was rickety and had been used and abused for decades. Sometimes it would feel like the place was going to collapse, especially the ramps surrounding the stadium.

DBroncos4life
10-06-2009, 01:57 PM

I'm sure the people that designed Yankee stadium knew what they're doing as well but the ball still traveled out of there more then the old stadium. No matter how much you try to duplicate something you just can't take into account for the unknown. That's why I think when the stadium gets older it will take on its own personality.

Rock Chalk
10-06-2009, 02:01 PM

That has nothing to do with teh stadium and everything to do with the fans.

INVESCO has priced out many of the hard core types. There are many still there yes, but because of the price of tickets, many who went to old Mile HIgh, wont go to the new one often.

The new stadium however, WOULD be louder than old Mile High if it had the same fans in it. I promise you that. Acoustically its designed to be louder and since the design is all metal, like the old mile high, its a wash there. The problem isn't the stadium, its the fans.

Elway leaving was a big part of that. He didn't create Mile High Magic, but he made it famous and when he left, there was no one on the team that gave teh fans reason to believe the magic didn't die with him.

Broncomutt
10-06-2009, 02:02 PM
Has he brought it back? Yes.

Will it stick around? Remains to be seen.

cutthemdown
10-06-2009, 02:03 PM

Well maybe but from what I have read people said the old floors were just louder.

For sure though if everyone screams it will be plenty loud.

Just give them something to scream about.

DBroncos4life
10-06-2009, 02:15 PM
I doubt the Old Mile High would have had as many Cowboys fans in it last week.

WolfpackGuy
10-06-2009, 02:30 PM
I never went to the old stadium, but you could tell the box and upper levels were right on top of the action.

I read somewhere before the new stadium opened, it takes up twice the area as the old one while having pretty much the same amount of seats due to the extra space required for handicapped regulations. Meaning, seats have to be farther from the field of play.

The current steel plating over the concrete is a nice idea, but you have to wonder how much sound is being lost to the openness of the new stadium.

I agree with some of the posts though, a good team helps a lot with the noise.

TailgateNut
10-06-2009, 02:31 PM
I doubt the Old Mile High would have had as many Cowboys fans in it last week.

Dead ones! Maybe!

Beantown Bronco
10-06-2009, 02:36 PM
The current steel plating over the concrete is a nice idea, but you have to wonder how much sound is being lost to the openness of the new stadium.

But the entire lower bowl of this one is connected whereas the old stadium wasn't and had huge openings on either side of the south stands that "vented" quite a bit of the noise I would think.

BroncoBuff
10-06-2009, 02:45 PM
I surprised people don't remember, but the architects themselves admitted they hadn't matched the spl's of the old Mile High ... they said something like the science of open-air acoustic retention was sparse. It's not louder than the old one, no way, regardless of any wishful thinking. I recall there were even some suggestions for aluminum facades to help with the problem, but of course nothing was done there.

The old one was hugely loud at least a couple times every game. The new one never is.

Cito Pelon
10-06-2009, 02:58 PM
I never went to the old stadium, but you could tell the box and upper levels were right on top of the action.

I read somewhere before the new stadium opened, it takes up twice the area as the old one while having pretty much the same amount of seats due to the extra space required for handicapped regulations. Meaning, seats have to be farther from the field of play.

I agree with some of the posts though, a good team helps a lot with the noise.

That is true. I've seen a pic somewhere that shows the two stadiums from the south view before old Mile High was torn down. Old Mile High could be planted into new Mile High easily.

Anyone have that pic? I'll try to find it, it definitely makes your point abundantly clear.

BroncoBuff
10-06-2009, 03:10 PM
I appreciate the desire for easy explanations, and wishful thinking, but no way. This place is a near-morgue compared with the old one. For example, what about the New England and Pittsburgh playoff games in 2005?

And this whole "wine and cheese crowd," myth ... a myth that followed, conveniently, the reality that the new place was far less loud. Or maybe all the good fans bailed in 2001? I'll bet the season-ticket turnover/surrender rate changed little if any from 2000-2001, we can probably look that up.

I do remember Michael Westbrook (or some other former CU Buff) scored a TD at Invesco the first or second year for a visiting team, and he said the place was really quiet compared to the old one. And also some visiting quarterback was quoted saying, "finally we can call audibles in Denver."

It's been about 10 years now, maybe some of you guys are too young to remember, but no way, there's no comparison.

The old Mile High was 100% insane ... teams literally had to actually call time outs because of the noise. I daresay that's not gonna happen here any time soon :(

Beantown Bronco
10-06-2009, 03:28 PM
I appreciate the desire for easy explanations, and wishful thinking, but no way. This place is a near-morgue compared with the old one. For example, what about the New England and Pittsburgh playoff games in 2005?

Huh? The NE game is the reference point many here use for the loudest game they've ever attended at the new stadium and say it compared very favorably to the old one.

The old Mile High was 100% insane ... teams literally had to actually call time outs because of the noise. I daresay that's not gonna happen here any time soon :(

Gannon had to a few times during the MNF game I went to against the Raiders in 2003.

baja
10-06-2009, 04:08 PM
<b>I must have failed in the wording of my query. When I say home field advantage I was posting about the altitude and the huge advantage that has traditionally meant to our Broncos. I remember watching the opposing D with their hands planted on their knees with heads down and just physically spent. We owned the 4th quarter. You stats gurus can look that up. The huge advantage was all but gone the last several years under Shanahan, why I don't know but it became a non issue. My question is do you think that altitude advantage is back under Josh McD.</b>

BroncoBuff
10-06-2009, 04:09 PM
What caused that?
Defense caused that. Defense is the "noise side" of the ball. Think about it: When your defense is on the field, the scoreboard says N O i S e ! ! ... on every play fans try to disrupt the opponents' snap count. But on offense, it's the opposite, you let your offense get call a play, get set and do a snap count, and then yell. It's RE-actionary, where on defense fans are pro-active. And now that we have an exciting, attacking defense, the home-field advantage is back. The noise will never be back, that's an architectural failure. But the advantage is back.

Huh? The NE game is the reference point many here use for the loudest game they've ever attended at the new stadium and say it compared very favorably to the old one.
"Compared favorably"? It was the first playoff game since the Super Bowl years ... "compare favorably" is not such a great thing to say ... the very definition of damning with faint praise.

Gannon had to a few times during the MNF game I went to against the Raiders in 2003.
A few times in one game six years ago? Again, damning with faint praise.

In the old stadium, it seemed like there were timeouts forced almost every single game, or probably more like half. The whole point of Mile High was noise ... it was even louder than Arrowhead.

I grew up in the old Mile High, sat everywhere from the top of the South Stands to the press box. And two weeks ago I was 30 rows up from the field in the corner of the closed end at Invesco, at a home opener where we drubbed the opponent. And the place was a morgue. Trust me ;D

TailgateNut
10-07-2009, 08:03 AM

And this whole "wine and cheese crowd," myth ... a myth that followed, conveniently, the reality that the new place was far less loud. Or maybe all the good fans bailed in 2001? I'll bet the season-ticket turnover/surrender rate changed little if any from 2000-2001, we can probably look that up.

I do remember Michael Westbrook (or some other former CU Buff) scored a TD at Invesco the first or second year for a visiting team, and he said the place was really quiet compared to the old one. And also some visiting quarterback was quoted saying, "finally we can call audibles in Denver."

It's been about 10 years now, maybe some of you guys are too young to remember, but no way, there's no comparison.

IMO there is no comparison, and will never be.

In the old stadium no one had to URGE the fans to make noise. We made noise walking in, during the game, and walking out, regardless of the score or the outcome of the game.

Too many dumbass fans.
Too many Fair weather fans.
Too many opposing team fans.
Idiot announcers and idiotic rules.

bronco militia
10-07-2009, 08:46 AM
the 2nd and 3rd levels (club and 500 sections) of invesco are closer to the field than old mile high. In order to accomplish this , they made both of these levels steeper.

TailgateNut
10-07-2009, 08:59 AM
the 2nd and 3rd levels (club and 500 sections) of invesco are closer to the field than old mile high. In order to accomplish this , they made both of these levels steeper.

...but you have to duck when airplanes do a fly-over and don't forget you Vertigo meds. I went up to my upper level seats once, that was enough. ;)

bronco militia
10-07-2009, 09:10 AM
...but you have to duck when airplanes do a fly-over and don't forget you vertigo meds. I went up to my upper level seats once, that was enough. ;)

no ****! :~ohyah!:

I think that was the lowest/best flyover(four F-15's) I've seen at invesco yet.

broncofan2438
10-07-2009, 09:18 AM
Invesco needs to be really rocking this Sunday.

I am assuming that there are far less Pats fans than Cowgirl fans in the Denver area

TheDave
10-07-2009, 09:21 AM
Invesco needs to be really rocking this Sunday.

I am assuming that there are far less Pats fans than Cowgirl fans in the Denver area

Hopefully... That was brutal to see 1/2 the stadium in grey/blue

Spider
10-11-2009, 07:13 PM
hell yes ............

crawdad
10-11-2009, 07:22 PM
Damn straight I do. Mile High was rockin' today!