PDA

View Full Version : Jackson and Dumervil shining at the right time

Denver724
09-30-2009, 08:14 AM
http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest

Jackson and Dumervil shining at the right time

September 30, 2009 9:00 AM
Posted by ESPN.comís Bill Williamson

There are two players in the AFC West who are making themselves a lot of money with their early-season production.

Both San Diego wide receiver Vincent Jackson and Denver linebacker Elvis Dumervil are putting together huge contract years.

It is still unknown whether or not Jackson and Dumervill will be restricted for unrestricted free agents if they donít sign extension with their respective teams before the start of the free agency. If there is an extension of the collective bargaining agreement between NFL team and players, both players are set to be unrestricted free agents. If not, both players will be restricted free agents. It is too early to tell if the CBA will be extended by the time free agency is set to start next winter. But there hasnít been much progress.

Whether or not they are totally free or not, Jackson and Dumervil should command major interested, especially if they continue to put up big numbers.

Jackson is proving to be one of the best receivers in the NFL. He is second in the league 317 yard receiving. He is a major deep threat. The Chargers, who also have to deal pending free agents Shawne Merriman, Darren Sproles and Marcus McNeill, will surely try to re-signing Jackson.

Dumervil has six sacks as he transitions to becoming a linebacker (he previously was a defensive end) in Denverís new 3-4 defense. Dumervil, record-setting sack artists in college, is putting constant pressure. He had 26 sacks in his first three NFL seasons. But he is clearly taking his game to the next level. Pass rushers are one of the toughest commodities to find in the NFL. Dumervil will be coveted.

Quarterback Kyle Orton and receiver Brandon Marshall are also prospective free agents, so Denver, like San Diego, will have decision to make. But it is clear both Jackson and Dumervil will be looking at big money if they continue their hot starts.

bronco militia
09-30-2009, 08:16 AM
hopefully the chargers let Jackson walk.....

Dukes
09-30-2009, 08:18 AM
Good to see a Northern Colorado alum doing well, even though he's a charger.

cousinal11
09-30-2009, 08:21 AM
Isn't Vincent facing possible suspension next year because of DUI?

baja
09-30-2009, 08:24 AM
Vincent is the guy Slap wanted, he ranted for weeks about this guy and as usual he was right.

beanerbronco
09-30-2009, 08:25 AM
I hope to God that we re-sign Doom. It seems like every pass-rusher we have and starts producing, seems to always end up in a different team; I am hoping this is not the case with Doom.

Beantown Bronco
09-30-2009, 08:29 AM
Not a week goes by that I don't remind myself and whoever is listening to never underestimate a talented player in a contract year.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
09-30-2009, 08:30 AM
Did Burger Bill write that on a freakin' blackberry? The typos are awful.

I really hope we re-sign Doom. Would hate to see him walk.

baja
09-30-2009, 08:33 AM
We are going to be able to sign Doom and Kuper and Marshall and Graham.

Why will we be able to sign all those guy?

Because we don't have to give Cutler 130 million dollars.....

gyldenlove
09-30-2009, 09:24 AM
If Dumervil continues his reign of terror and gets to the 15 sack mark for the year he will be in line for a contract on the order of 25 mill guaranteed and 45 mill over 6 years, Kuper should get the going rate for starting offensive linemen, something like 6 mill a year for 5 years.

Orton is tricky, but should probably get 5-6 mill per year for 3 years with an extra 1 mill per year for every playoff game we play.

Marshall could get anything from a 1 year 9 million deal with an option for another 5 at 48 million to a shorter deal with more money, if he becomes unrestricted.

Graham is going to cost about 4 mill a year for at least 3 years.

PRBronco
09-30-2009, 09:28 AM
Just stumbled across this: http://www.profootballweekly.com/2009/09/29/mvp-meter-youth-movement
Definitely wasn't expecting to find a Bronco on it! ...yet.

"10. Broncos OLB Elvis Dumervil — On the heels of his four-sack effort in Week Two, Dumervil sacked JaMarcus Russell twice and had three other tackles in Denver's dominating win over the Raiders. Dumervil has stepped into his new role as a rush linebacker and flourished, which has been key for a Broncos defense that badly needed a push off the edge."

BlaK-Argentina
09-30-2009, 10:46 AM
I hope we resign Doom and Kuper during the bye. Marshall can wait. :)

baja
09-30-2009, 10:56 AM
Just stumbled across this: http://www.profootballweekly.com/2009/09/29/mvp-meter-youth-movement
Definitely wasn't expecting to find a Bronco on it! ...yet.

"10. Broncos OLB Elvis Dumervil ó On the heels of his four-sack effort in Week Two, Dumervil sacked JaMarcus Russell twice and had three other tackles in Denver's dominating win over the Raiders. Dumervil has stepped into his new role as a rush linebacker and flourished, which has been key for a Broncos defense that badly needed a push off the edge."

This can't be right there is no Jay Cutler on this list not even in honorable mention;

Honorable mention: 49ers ILB Patrick Willis, Packers CB Charles Woodson, Jets CB Darrelle Revis, Packers QB Aaron Rodgers, Titans RB Chris Johnson, Jets RB-RS Leon Washington, Jaguars RB Maurice Jones-Drew, Colts WR Reggie Wayne, Bengals DE Antwan Odom.

BroncoMan4ever
09-30-2009, 01:24 PM
We are going to be able to sign Doom and Kuper and Marshall and Graham.

Why will we be able to sign all those guy?

Because we don't have to give Cutler 130 million dollars.....

we will have the money. we had a good chunk of the cap available this offseason and we didn't exactly break the bank on the FA we brought in, so there is probably a good hunk of that still available.

plus if we keep Champ it is going to be on a new deal, because we are not paying the guy 15million next season and Graham isn't going to be re-signed when his deal expires. Quinn was brought in to learn from him and take his job eventually. the same thing can be said of Alphonso.

Orton, Doom and Kuper are the 3 i really want to re-sign. Marshall i can go either way with. Re-sign him great, tender him and let him walk, whatever it doesn't matter to me. love his talent but sick of him.

i think Orton can eventually become a pro bowler in this scheme, with the kind of protection our line gives, and the weapons he has. i believe he has the talent and after mastering the entire playbook and being fully comfortable, the rest of the league will take notice.

gyldenlove
09-30-2009, 01:59 PM
This can't be right there is no Jay Cutler on this list not even in honorable mention;

Honorable mention: 49ers ILB Patrick Willis, Packers CB Charles Woodson, Jets CB Darrelle Revis, Packers QB Aaron Rodgers, Titans RB Chris Johnson, Jets RB-RS Leon Washington, Jaguars RB Maurice Jones-Drew, Colts WR Reggie Wayne, Bengals DE Antwan Odom.

Really, a gimmick 2nd string RB as an MVP honorable mention - at least that list is very serious and considered.

eddie mac
09-30-2009, 02:52 PM
Not a week goes by that I don't remind myself and whoever is listening to never underestimate a talented player in a contract year.

I dont know if you mean overestimate there because that would be my thoughts for a normal free agency year. Prime example would be Albert Haynesworth. For 2 consecutive years he played his balls off in the hope of a monster contract and in the end he got his wish. I see his play dropping off a ton this year cos the pressure to earn the big contract has gone.

In the case of Dumervil and Jackson it's probably different because there's still uncertainty over the CBA and both players have been playing well for a couple of seasons prior to this one.

watermock
09-30-2009, 03:02 PM
Cutler is under contract thru '11

ward63
09-30-2009, 03:19 PM
They do realize that Dum's been shining for his entire college and pro career right? He wasn't drafted until late b/c he's "so short"

baja
09-30-2009, 03:26 PM
I dont know if you mean overestimate there because that would be my thoughts for a normal free agency year. Prime example would be Albert Haynesworth. For 2 consecutive years he played his balls off in the hope of a monster contract and in the end he got his wish. I see his play dropping off a ton this year cos the pressure to earn the big contract has gone.

In the case of Dumervil and Jackson it's probably different because there's still uncertainty over the CBA and both players have been playing well for a couple of seasons prior to this one.

There is another difference Doom is a football player that loves the game I hope he is a career bronco.

Broncosfreak_56
09-30-2009, 03:26 PM
They do realize that Dum's been shining for his entire college and pro career right? He wasn't drafted until late b/c he's "so short"

Same was said about James Harrison.

Lock doom up now.

BroncoBuff
09-30-2009, 06:47 PM
Vincent is the guy Slap wanted, he ranted for weeks about this guy and as usual he was right.

I remember that ... wasn't he kind of all alone on that one?

Good win for the dearly departed old grump.

UberBroncoMan
09-30-2009, 07:36 PM
Good to see a Northern Colorado alum doing well, even though he's a charger.

He's actually a lifelong Bronco fan as well... well until the Chargers nabbed him.

Who knows... maybe we get rid of Marshall and use the money that we would have used on him to get Jackson.

Harvitz81
09-30-2009, 07:45 PM
I hope we sign doom to a long term contract and that he becomes a career bronco. Honestly I see him with a 100+ sacks in his career and borderline hall of famer if he keeps it up.

baja
09-30-2009, 08:10 PM
I remember that ... wasn't he kind of all alone on that one?

Good win for the dearly departed old grump.

I wanted him too but only after Slap pointed him out and I took a look at the info.