PDA

View Full Version : Broncos’ consistency bodes well for season

dragondawg
09-29-2009, 07:55 PM
By Brian Howell
© 2009 Longmont Times-Call

When Josh McDaniels was hired in January as the head coach of the Denver Broncos, he came advertised as a great football coach — someone who knows how to do his job well on the field.

McDaniels certainly took his share of heat for off-the-field moves during the offseason. Three games into his coaching tenure, however, he’s been as advertised. He’s done a great job on the field.

Although it has been just three games, the Broncos (3-0) have already been consistent in how they’ve approached each game. They have found weaknesses in each opponent and attacked those weaknesses.

Because of their preparation, the Broncos have been ready to play each Sunday. That’s saying a lot, considering there were plenty of games in recent years in which the Broncos hardly showed up.

The fact that they’ve been prepared each week is a tribute to McDaniels and his coaching staff.

There’s a long way to go this season, and the schedule gets a heck of a lot tougher starting this week, but if the Broncos come into each game as prepared as they’ve been for the first three, they’ll have a good chance to win a lot of games.

SWEET 16: Through three games, the Broncos have allowed just 16 points.

Not even the famous Orange Crush defense of the 1970s ever did that. In fact, prior to this season, the fewest amount of points allowed by the Broncos through three games was 19 — by that Crush defense of 1977.

Perhaps even more impressive, only two NFL teams this decade have had a better start defensively. The 2001 Green Bay Packers and 2004 Seattle Seahawks each gave up 13 points through three games. Like the Broncos, the 2005 Indianapolis Colts gave up 16 through three contests.

A GOOD OMEN? This is the Broncos’ 11th 3-0 start. Five times, they’ve turned a 3-0 start into a trip to the Super Bowl.

However, twice in recent years the Broncos have started 3-0 and failed to make the playoffs (2002 and 2008). Only once have the Broncos started 3-0 and finished with a losing record (going 5-8-1 in 1970).

BETTER WATCH OUT: Peyton Hillis showed flashes of being a dynamic player last year because of his ability to run the ball hard and catch the ball out of the backfield.

Hillis, who has touched the ball just six times on offense, may have a hard time staying on the roster if he’s not careful, though.

Against Cleveland a week ago, he fumbled the opening kickoff, and he hasn’t lined up to return a kick since.

Sunday, the Broncos had first-and-goal at the 1 when he was called for false start, pushing the Broncos back 5 yards. He then failed to get into the end zone on back-to-back short-yardage runs.

http://www.timescall.com/sports_story.asp?id=18349

HAT
09-29-2009, 08:31 PM
I think this was already posted but a pretty good read nonetheless....Until that lame part about Hillis staying on the roster.

bpc
09-29-2009, 08:45 PM
I love the way they are playing, with the players we got. We're not beating ourselves and the defense isn't giving up big plays.

McDaniels would have to be an idiot to get rid of Hillis. He wouldn't make it off waivers.

DBroncos4life
09-29-2009, 08:53 PM
Hills is over valued. You guys act like he is money in short yard/goal line runs which isn't true. I'm not saying he should be cut I just don't get why everyone thinks is all that wonderful. I don't think there is a run that he could do that Moreno couldn't do.

SonOfLe-loLang
09-29-2009, 09:51 PM
Hills is over valued. You guys act like he is money in short yard/goal line runs which isn't true. I'm not saying he should be cut I just don't get why everyone thinks is all that wonderful. I don't think there is a run that he could do that Moreno couldn't do.

I think you might be undervaluing his versatility, though he's gotten off to a bit of a rough start. I think he's a pretty good goal line runner and hope they still give him opportunities to pound it in from the 2. Remember what he did last year running and catching the ball. He's a good player.

underrated29
09-29-2009, 10:05 PM
regardless of how he does as a rb, or hb or te....

HE IS OUR STARTING FB! We are not cutting.....

Stupid writer.

yeah- we have larsen and that OL that also gets in the mix at FB but hillis is our man.

DBroncos4life
09-29-2009, 10:48 PM
I think you might be undervaluing his versatility, though he's gotten off to a bit of a rough start. I think he's a pretty good goal line runner and hope they still give him opportunities to pound it in from the 2. Remember what he did last year running and catching the ball. He's a good player.

Like I said don't he should be cut, but I stand by what I said about there not being a short yard run that he could make that Moreno can't. He is good as a situational player but for those that claimed he should be starting over Buck are very wrong. Some have even went as far as to suggest that he is over looked because of the color of his skin. Everyone wants to believe he is Alstott and I just don't see it.

meangene
09-30-2009, 03:22 AM
I think Hillis will eventually be a valuable contributor to this team. We need to take better advantage of his receiving skills at some point. That having been said, I was very impressed with Moreno's short yardage running last Sunday. Picked up several first downs in short yardage situations where it looked like he would be stopped. He has a real knack for falling forward and finding small creases. I expect to see him used more in those situations.

Broncojef
09-30-2009, 05:11 AM
Hillis is a true FB and the best one we've had since Howard Griffith IMO. Let the boy focus on what he does best, our running game looked good this last week. True he did have one rough series on the goaline but his talent far outweighs anything we've had there in quite some time. I hope to watch Hillis for years to come there, he's just a fun hardnosed player that the team needs more of.

rastaman
09-30-2009, 05:40 AM
Lets take advantage and enjoy Hillis versatility with his blocking, running btwn and off tackle and receiving capability over the next 3 years before he becomes a FA!!!

dbfan21
09-30-2009, 05:48 AM
I think Hillis will eventually be a valuable contributor to this team. We need to take better advantage of his receiving skills at some point. That having been said, I was very impressed with Moreno's short yardage running last Sunday. Picked up several first downs in short yardage situations where it looked like he would be stopped. He has a real knack for falling forward and finding small creases. I expect to see him used more in those situations.

This. Hillis just needs a few more opportunties, especially catching passes out of the backfield.

McD is all about finding mismatches and Hillis vs a LB is a pretty favorable mismatch IMHO. The fumbling thing was an anomaly.

I do like the way Moreno fights for the extra yardage and also has the ability to slip through cracks in the d-line.

Hercules Rockefeller
09-30-2009, 06:32 AM

This. He filled in valuably last year and his versatility is a great asset, but he's not the god that some on this board want to make him out to be (i.e. We have Hillis, why draft Moreno).

Beantown Bronco
09-30-2009, 06:40 AM
Hochstein was "a McDaniels guy" brought in to be the fullback on short yardage.
Lamont Jordan was another "McDaniels guy" brought in to carry the ball on short yardage.
Moreno was drafted by McDaniels in part because of his receiving skills out of the backfield.

See a pattern here? Anything Hillis can do, these guys can do as well or better.

I think the article rings true about Hillis. He will be given another shot or two, but if he keeps screwing up and not really showing anything (like he has the past few games), then his days may in fact be numbered. Never would've guessed it after what we saw last season, but McDaniels has clearly brought in guys that make him replaceable.

The Joker
09-30-2009, 06:54 AM
I like Hillis, but he does need to get his act together if he wants to be more involved.

Week 1 he had a bad drop on 3rd down that would have moved the chains.

Week 2 he fumbled the opening kickoff, essentially giving Cleveland a free headstart.

Then last weekend he made a couple of mistakes that we could have done without on the opening drive of the game.

He should get it together though soon and earn the trust of the staff, he's quite versatile and will be a decent weapon when we figure out how to use him.

On a side note, one thing I really like about the offense is that we're really trying to make it so that losing one player to injury won't be much of a blow if/when it happens.

The passes are being spread quite nicely among the receivers (apart from Royal, which I still can't figure out) and the TE's are both getting a couple of targets a game each. I envisage that's how Hillis will ultimately be used, maybe a couple of PA Full Back passes a game or some reps in the slot or carrying the ball near the goalline.

Plenty of good targets out there, we just need things to click for Orton.

jmz313
09-30-2009, 07:58 AM
i feel hillis needs to be given more touches between the 20's. let him get some rythmn. He's not really a goal line crusher, he's a decent all around player that has shown he can be effective as a #1 RB. He si also a really solid passs catcher. he was our biggest loss last year, he doesnt get hurt, we would of won the divison.

He just needs to be given afew more touches a game. Lamont jordan has no business being on our roster.