PDA

View Full Version : Backpedal quickly Mr. Clayton ...

prunch
09-29-2009, 12:10 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/8922/power-rankings-how-the-voters-voted-21

He voted us at 11 on their power poll voting ....

DenverBrit
09-29-2009, 12:35 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/8922/power-rankings-how-the-voters-voted-21

He voted us at 11 on their power poll voting ....

Clayton knows how to hop on a bandwagon.

TheReverend
09-29-2009, 12:47 PM
lol Giants fans also have something to complain about with Clayton. He has them at 6.

This comment was funny:

" http://avatars.espn.go.com/avatars/bomber1734/48/bomber1734.jpg (http://sportsnation.espn.go.com/fans/bomber1734)
bomber1734 (http://sportsnation.espn.go.com/fans/bomber1734) (9/29/2009 at 2:22 PM)
Report Violation (http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/8922/power-rankings-how-the-voters-voted-21?from_user_id=1869089549&to_user_id=0&tid=5518248&tsn=11&reply_to_tsn=1&reply_to_id=0)
Clayton was obviously too busy braiding his pony tail to watch any Giants games."

missingnumber7
09-29-2009, 01:27 PM
lol Giants fans also have something to complain about with Clayton. He has them at 6.

This comment was funny:

" http://avatars.espn.go.com/avatars/bomber1734/48/bomber1734.jpg (http://sportsnation.espn.go.com/fans/bomber1734)
bomber1734 (http://sportsnation.espn.go.com/fans/bomber1734) (9/29/2009 at 2:22 PM)
Report Violation (http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/8922/power-rankings-how-the-voters-voted-21?from_user_id=1869089549&to_user_id=0&tid=5518248&tsn=11&reply_to_tsn=1&reply_to_id=0)
Clayton was obviously too busy braiding his pony tail to watch any Giants games."

Wow...I think 6 is about right for them...the vikes are a better team, NO eh...maybe yes maybe no...the jets...probably not...but still.

As far as the broncos...eh...who cares...just keep doing what we are doing...playing great D and getting better on O...i'll be happy.

WABronco
09-29-2009, 04:15 PM
So I was listening to the local ESPN station up here, and they had Clayton on for their weekly Clayton segment. I noticed a few parts where he was clearly biting his tongue in regards to our dear Denver Broncos. First part was when they were discussing why new coaches tend to fail or something, and he made a point about young coaches not knowing how to lead/construct a roster, etc. He mentioned Raheem Morris by name, then said something about the age of 33. No mention of McD though, which was surprising given his "McDaniels doesn't know how to construct an NFL roster" rant off this previous offseason.

Then, later in the call-in segment, sure enough, some Broncos fan called in and said when he would re-think his stance on Denver, calling it an "oversight"...

Ah that was entertaining. To Clayton's credit, he did say he would re-think if we won one of the next 3 games. See John, it's ok to acknowledge your faults.

SonOfLe-loLang
09-29-2009, 04:17 PM
So I was listening to the local ESPN station up here, and they had Clayton on for their weekly Clayton segment. I noticed a few parts where he was clearly biting his tongue in regards to our dear Denver Broncos. First part was when they were discussing why new coaches tend to fail or something, and he made a point about young coaches not knowing how to lead/construct a roster, etc. He mentioned Raheem Morris by name, then said something about the age of 33. No mention of McD though, which was surprising given his "McDaniels doesn't know how to construct an NFL roster" rant off this previous offseason.

Then, later in the call-in segment, sure enough, some Broncos fan called in and said when he would re-think his stance on Denver, calling it an "oversight"...

Ah that was entertaining. To Clayton's credit, he did say he would re-think if we won one of the next 3 games. See John, it's ok to acknowledge your faults.

An oversight...why is it so hard for someone to say "you know what, looks like i mnight be wrong"

prunch
09-29-2009, 04:19 PM
"Mr. Clayton ... this is your ass .... this is a hole in the wall ..... are you following?"

Baba Booey
09-29-2009, 04:19 PM
http://habidabad.com/images/1007_nanny_skeksis.jpg
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_CPP7LjnMEdM/Sm9_pU7xjTI/AAAAAAAABFw/po38mBJm3Lc/s320/hu_071102nfl_johnclayton.jpg

WABronco
09-29-2009, 04:23 PM
Nah I like Clayton. He's good on the radio and he really gets into the meat of NFL news, much more than the cursory once-over you get from most other reporters.

It's just...no one is good at predicting the NFL. Period. So it's funny when they **** up so bad...

lex
09-29-2009, 04:24 PM
Nah I like Clayton. He's good on the radio and he really gets into the meat of NFL news, much more than the cursory once-over you get from most other reporters.

It's just...no one is good at predicting the NFL. Period. So it's funny when they **** up so bad...

Thats awesome you like him consdiering he was one of the guys lobbying against Sharpe making it in on the first ballot.

Atwater His Ass
09-29-2009, 04:25 PM
You guys are right. He should be crowning our ass after putting a beat down on CLE and OAK and getting a fluke play to win in CIN.

I hope you all realize that nothing has changed from most everyone's predictions thus far. Most people had us winning 2 out of those first three games.

The test is coming now. Let's see how this team does playing quailty opponents before we start screaming championship.

Every year you guys fall for this fast start stuff. McD hasn't proven he can keep up the momentum in December.

Old Dude
09-29-2009, 04:28 PM
Atthis point, I think I'd be willing to bet that Denver finishes with more than three wins this season.

Doggcow
09-29-2009, 04:29 PM
You guys are right. He should be crowning our ass after putting a beat down on CLE and OAK and getting a fluke play to win in CIN.

I hope you all realize that nothing has changed from most everyone's predictions thus far. Most people had us winning 2 out of those first three games.

The test is coming now. Let's see how this team does playing quailty opponents before we start screaming championship.

Every year you guys fall for this fast start stuff. McD hasn't proven he can keep up the momentum in December.

Neither did Shanny, so stuff it you naysayer

Rabb
09-29-2009, 04:34 PM
yes we deserve no credit for beating the snot out of teams we should beat

we certainly never had an issue with that last year, especially not when the division was on the line

broncswin
09-29-2009, 04:34 PM

Sure they beat to shiatty teams, but they not only beat them, they kicked their a$$, so you gotta give them a little credit. We will see how well we play in the next 5 games, but it is sure nice to see a team put away the teams they are suppose to. We've had some pretty shiatty loses over the last couple of years to teams we should've put away(costing us the playoffs)!! I like 3-0 right now.:thumbsup:

leon
09-29-2009, 04:37 PM
if you can't realize by now that McD is the real deal as a coach then you don't know coaching when you see it!!!

SonOfLe-loLang
09-29-2009, 04:55 PM

Complete bull****...We cant control who we play. But we did control that game in cinci and put, asyou said, beatdowns on cleveland and oakland. If we were as bad as people thought, the two latter games would have been competitive....they weren't, we clearly outclassed them.

2KBack
09-29-2009, 05:02 PM
My how people forget that Cleveland layed 30 points on Denver last season, and the last time Denver played Oakland they got spanked 10-31. Yet we are worse this season.

dbfan4life
09-29-2009, 05:23 PM

I know this place...they'll be lining up right beside you if we have a skid of any kind during this stretch of the season.

Atwater His Ass
09-29-2009, 05:42 PM
Complete bull****...We cant control who we play. But we did control that game in cinci and put, asyou said, beatdowns on cleveland and oakland. If we were as bad as people thought, the two latter games would have been competitive....they weren't, we clearly outclassed them.

Which is great. But again, even the most pessimestic views had us winning 2 out of those 3 games. The difference between that and being 3-0 is one fluke play.

We didn't control the game in CIN. It was a hard fought game on both sides, and in reality CIN really made the best effort to win with their dominating drive late in the game. I'm glad we won, but let's be real as to how we won and just be thankful we got a fortuitous play to go our way. There's no shame in that.

So like I said, nothing has really changed other than our defense is playing much better than anyone thought, even playing cream puffs in OAK and CLE. Orton hasn't been put in a spot to win a game for us, only not to lose it. The defense isn't going to win every game for us and I'm not confident at all that Orton can put this team on his back and get us a win.

Also, with all the disucssion about how horrible our red zone offense was last year, I cannot understand why people aren't still complaining. This year's redzone offense has also been horrible. We've managed to win games by our dominating defense and eventually wearing teams down and getting into the endzone. That's not a recipie that will be effective against top tier teams.

We'll have a much better view about where this team really is in the coming weeks.

Gcver2ver3
09-29-2009, 05:48 PM
To Clayton's credit, he did say he would re-think if we won one of the next 3 games.

well considering he had us going 3-13, if we won 1 of the next 13 games he'd have to rethink things...

SonOfLe-loLang
09-29-2009, 06:01 PM
Which is great. But again, even the most pessimestic views had us winning 2 out of those 3 games. The difference between that and being 3-0 is one fluke play.

We didn't control the game in CIN. It was a hard fought game on both sides, and in reality CIN really made the best effort to win with their dominating drive late in the game. I'm glad we won, but let's be real as to how we won and just be thankful we got a fortuitous play to go our way. There's no shame in that.

So like I said, nothing has really changed other than our defense is playing much better than anyone thought, even playing cream puffs in OAK and CLE. Orton hasn't been put in a spot to win a game for us, only not to lose it. The defense isn't going to win every game for us and I'm not confident at all that Orton can put this team on his back and get us a win.

Also, with all the disucssion about how horrible our red zone offense was last year, I cannot understand why people aren't still complaining. This year's redzone offense has also been horrible. We've managed to win games by our dominating defense and eventually wearing teams down and getting into the endzone. That's not a recipie that will be effective against top tier teams.

We'll have a much better view about where this team really is in the coming weeks.

Simply not true...even if we didnt control the cinci game, we could have easily won it going away if the phantom holding call on the buck screen didn't happen. Football is a 60 minute game and if a "fluke play" allowed us to get ahead, there's a reason we were in position to do so. Thats a tough game we won in cinci, on the road. People need to stop taking that away from the broncos.

And for the assholes who had us going 3-13, they did not predict us going 2-1 or 3-0, so enough of that.

Also, "nothing has changed other than our defense playing better" is a dumb statement. Thats half the ****ing team, not to mention, they are playing ASTRONOMICALLY better...as are our special teams coverage units. Also, our offense has done a MUCH better job controlling the ball and the clock. We have played VERY organized and safe football while moving the ball. yes, our red zone offense needs wotrk, but the reason why no one is bitching is we've been safely ahead in those two games. Hopefully the red zone ) will come...remember, we're still only 3 games into a completely new system.

This team is actually very reminiscent of the 2005 team which also had a problem when playing from behind...but that team went 13-3...not saying we will go 13-3, but the style is similar.

So, really, youre just being negative for the sake of wanting to be right.

ZONA
09-29-2009, 06:42 PM
I'm going by the principal that everything is gravy right now. Wasn't sure how fast the team chemistry would come along with all the new coaches and players and while I thought we would be competitive for the first 3 games before the season started, and then it would have been very tough over the next several games. Now that we've dominated early, I think the next several games we will be competitive, even if we don't win them. You can't simply forget that everything going on in Bronco land is still very new, even though we have played very well. If I were to rank the Broncos, I would have them about where they are, something like 15 or so.

Alot of folks are looking at this team and saying, okay, they really look like it's coming together faster then we all thought but let's just wait a few games and see how they do when the competition gets a little better.

Yeah, it's gonna be fun. It's hard to gauge just how good you are when you just played the Browns and the Raiders, even though we whipped them good.

Now the fun starts - just don't go hitting the panic button too soon if we lose a few close ones in the next few games. If we look like total crap, okay, it might take longer then we though but I don't see that happening. Not with the style of ball we are playing. We're not built to be explosive (yet). I think we are built to be fundamentally sound and will give even the good teams a great game.

Peoples Champ
09-29-2009, 06:44 PM
Atthis point, I think I'd be willing to bet that Denver finishes with more than three wins this season.

Is that what John Clayton had us wining? 3 games?

RhymesayersDU
09-29-2009, 06:50 PM
You know what I love? People who claim to hate "ESPiN" and all the "talking heads" yet follow every analysts' every word in hopes of finding something to criticize.

scorpio
09-29-2009, 06:50 PM
Is that what John Clayton had us wining? 3 games?

Yes.

WABronco
09-29-2009, 07:39 PM
You know what I love? People who claim to hate "ESPiN" and all the "talking heads" yet follow every analysts' every word in hopes of finding something to criticize.

Wow bro you're so witty.

maher_tyler
09-29-2009, 07:49 PM

This...if we can beat Dallas the way we have the last 3 teams, we'll open up a lot of eyes. I think Dallas is very beatable. I'm interested to see how the team plays down by a couple of scores!

gunns
09-29-2009, 08:37 PM

For me it isn't even the winning part, although I LOVE that too. It's what I see with this team. The vast improvement in the safety position, some excellent tackling going on, an offense, although not great, still maintaining and not screwing things up, a team playing with heart, something we haven't seen for a long time. If we hadn't won some of these games I would still be estactic.

thinkin101
09-29-2009, 09:35 PM
I changed my preseason ranking Mkayy.

boppool
09-29-2009, 10:43 PM
Can't really fault him.
Most of us here thought we'd be doing this well.

missingnumber7
09-30-2009, 07:47 AM
if you can't realize by now that McD is the real deal as a coach then you don't know coaching when you see it!!!

You realize hes an offensive coach right? And QB's are his thing right? Ok...

skpac1001
09-30-2009, 08:18 AM

You realize he is the head coach, and everyone was saying how he is the real GM and ruining the team with old overpaid defensive guys like Dawkins and Davis, and wasting his time rebuilding the DB's while the front seven was absolute garbage?

When its bad he is the real GM and making the horrible decisions, when it turns out damn good then its Nolan and the GM, right?

SonOfLe-loLang
09-30-2009, 09:42 AM

Seriously, youre an idiot if you think McD has no say in the defense and personnel decisions. And, as an offensive coach, he's done a damn good job implementing this offense so far and has orton playing within himself. He also seems to be doing a good job with Tommy B if the preseason is any indication. He created an entire new culture in denver, this team is playing disciplined, organized football in every phase of the game. You think that was just luck?

Bronco Warrior
09-30-2009, 10:08 AM
Hilarious!Clayton is a retarded meatpuppet! He is a biased little lawn-gnome who is rarely right! Getting your Football news and opinion..especially about all things Broncos from Clayton and/or ESPN is like getting your Nutritional ino from Chuck E Cheese or Parenting advice from Michael Jackson!

Hey Was that too harsh on him? Good thing I didn't tell you how I really feel

Bronco Warrior
09-30-2009, 10:13 AM
As much as I hate to admit it McDaniels is doing a remarkable job. I couldn't stand the Boy King but he has slowly won me over! He does owe a large amount of his success to the hire of Nolan but he was the one who did it..even though I think Bowlen gave him little choice. Josh has broken the mold of his other losing co-mentees and become his own man. unlike those guys McD has surrounded himself with great assistants with loads more experience than he has.
The first rule of management I learn in the real world as a teenager.."Hire Great people and get outta the way"!

thinkin101
09-30-2009, 11:24 AM
Lets take a trip down memory lane and watch Clayton get his a** torn up on national tv.

http://withleather.uproxx.com/2008/02/sean-salisbury-abuses-nerd-onair

Captain Bronco
09-30-2009, 12:03 PM

I don't mean to pile on here, but most people did not expect us to win the first two games. If you go back to the "expert" predictions, almost everybody said we'd lose to the bengals. The majority said we'd lose to the browns. The raiders was about half and half. So we're already much better off than we're supposed to be (as evidenced by Clayton's ridiculous 3-13 prediction).

While I agree with you that it's too early to say we're a contender, we're still doing worlds better than almost anybody thought. We beat a good team in their stadium (albeit off a fortuitous tip), and completely out-classed two bad teams. We shouldn't get too excited yet, but still: so far, so good.

Bronx33
09-30-2009, 01:23 PM
Wasn't clayton a level 14 dwarf with healing powers on everquest?

broncswin
09-30-2009, 02:00 PM

You realize he put this team together right? and he is the head coach? Ok...just checking:D

INbronco
09-30-2009, 02:23 PM

You realize he started his pro coaching career as defensive coach at NE for 3 years? Probably defensive players was his thing right?

OK...ROFL!

NYBronco
09-30-2009, 02:23 PM
yes we deserve no credit for beating the snot out of teams we should beat

we certainly never had an issue with that last year, especially not when the division was on the line

... and we had a "franchise" QB.

Pseudofool
10-01-2009, 08:59 AM
1. Jury still out on Denver: Settle down, Broncos fans. I know I predicted a 3-13 season for the Broncos, but October will be the true test to see where this team is heading. The Broncos will play Dallas, New England and San Diego in October. In November, they'll face Baltimore, Pittsburgh, Washington, San Diego and the New York Giants (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=nyg). That's the gauntlet I used in making the 3-13 prediction. Where will the Broncos get their wins during this stretch? Their initial test will be the next two home games against the Cowboys and Patriots. They might reach six or seven wins by the end of the season if they win one of those games. It's pretty clear the Broncos have established themselves as a better team than the Chiefs and Raiders in the AFC West.http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=4519010

missingnumber7
10-01-2009, 12:52 PM
You realize he started his pro coaching career as defensive coach at NE for 3 years? Probably defensive players was his thing right?

OK...ROFL!

McDaniels spent the last eight seasons (2001-08) on the coaching staff of the New England Patriots, helping the franchise win three Super Bowls, four AFC championships and six division titles en route to posting the NFLís best overall record (111-34 / .766) during that time. He was the Patriots' offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach during the previous three years (2006-08), directing an offense that led the NFL in points per game (28.8) while ranking second in the league in yards per game (370.8) and third in fewest turnovers (63) over that stretch.

McDaniels worked as New England's quarterbacks coach from 2004-05 after serving as a coaching assistant for the club from 2002-03 and as a personnel assistant/coaching assistant in 2001. His coaching career began in 1999 as a graduate assistant at Michigan State University.

I don't see any position coaching on D on that list...he did film breakdown for the defense...which would be a great way to learn how to build an offense.

My point is for someone that comes from a huge background in Offense...he really hasn't done much and his play calling is a joke...but hey we're winning so no questioning the coach. He can't help it that we have three sub par qbs on staff.

missingnumber7
10-01-2009, 12:58 PM
Seriously, youre an idiot if you think McD has no say in the defense and personnel decisions. And, as an offensive coach, he's done a damn good job implementing this offense so far and has orton playing within himself. He also seems to be doing a good job with Tommy B if the preseason is any indication. He created an entire new culture in denver, this team is playing disciplined, organized football in every phase of the game. You think that was just luck?

Nope I don't think it was luck that we are 3-0. I think that our Nolan Coached D did outstanding in the first three weeks. I think the one thing that McD has brought in is making adjustments at halftime, where Shanny was just doing same old same old...and in the first two games for sure it was a different team in the second half. They actually have a killer instinct. But on the flip side, either he isn't opening to much of the play book up, or McD just isn't getting a good flow to his play calls.

And I am not judging Tom B by anything he did in the preseason, because it is exactly that the preseason. He will come along by spending time learning the system, and maybe, hopefully by next season he will be in a position to fight for a starting spot.