PDA

View Full Version : McD: Coaching as teaching

Pseudofool
09-28-2009, 09:55 PM
"That is what coaching is to me-teaching. If you are not a good communicator or a good teacher, it is hard to be a real affective coach at this level. There is too much information that you need to pass on along to your players, and we have so many different types of learners in our locker room. Some guys learn quickly from the mouth. Some guys need it on the board. Some guys need it on the board, on film, from the mouth, walkthrough and practice it twice, and then they have got it. That is just the way this game is. Every player is different, and I think that is part of being a good coach is figuring out, ‘How do I have to teach my players because they are not all the same guy?' That is a really critical component to being a good staff. If you have got a lot of good teachers and good communicators, then you are going to have players out there on the field that are well prepared. If you have good players who are well prepared, that is usually a good formula."
Hard not to like this guy.

ward63
09-28-2009, 09:59 PM
It is pretty common sense. I've always said that I'll take hard work and smarts over talent

Boobs McGee
09-28-2009, 10:09 PM
It is pretty common sense. I've always said that I'll take hard work and smarts over talent

I disagree. I think that's one of the main problems in the world...communication.

Too many people just assume that because they're teaching a certain way, the "student" is going to automatically understand. The teachers in this world who take the time to accommodate others with whom their interacting seem to leave a more lasting impression, and in turn generally create a much more receptive learning enviroment.

I think too often teachers overlook the fact (or, unfortunately, don't take the time to figure out) that there are all different kinds of learners.

In THIS case, I'm extremely happy to have someone in McD, someone that actually "gets it" if you will.

I'd be willing to place a pretty hefty wager on the fact that their are a LOT of head coaches that don't understand this particular aspect of being a teacher.

Lev Vyvanse
09-28-2009, 10:18 PM

That has nothing to do with this post.

Los Broncos
09-28-2009, 10:40 PM
I'm glad we hired this guy, good read thanks!

OBF1
09-29-2009, 12:33 AM
Just part of the reason I believe in Coach McDaniels

ZONA
09-29-2009, 12:52 AM
Some need it on the board, on film, from the mouth, walkthrough and practice it twice, and then they still throw off their back foot after all that work and they never get it.

fixed it

Awww cmon, I never take shots at Jay, I needed to get one in dammit. :rofl:

dbfan21
09-29-2009, 06:16 AM
I disagree. I think that's one of the main problems in the world...communication.

Too many people just assume that because they're teaching a certain way, the "student" is going to automatically understand. The teachers in this world who take the time to accommodate others with whom their interacting seem to leave a more lasting impression, and in turn generally create a much more receptive learning enviroment.

I think too often teachers overlook the fact (or, unfortunately, don't take the time to figure out) that there are all different kinds of learners.

In THIS case, I'm extremely happy to have someone in McD, someone that actually "gets it" if you will.

I'd be willing to place a pretty hefty wager on the fact that their are a LOT of head coaches that don't understand this particular aspect of being a teacher.

A long time ago, I read a book called Leadership and The One Minute Manager by Ken Blanchard. It was one of the most helpful professional books I have ever read. It is based on the theory that if you have a room full of different people, you have to vary your leadership style to get the most out of your team. You can't expect everyone to "get it" with one single leadership style. It seems like Josh has taken that same approach with the players...very smart!!

chrisp
09-29-2009, 06:50 AM
I'm still convinced that that was 99% of the problem with Slowik - it wasn't that his schemes were awful (although I'm not saying they were great either) its just that he couldn't get the players to execute them.

And I do think that its the individual nature of it, rather than the specific techniques that is important: recognising that everybody learns differently. No matter how innovative your techniques, and that you need to spend more time making sure that people understand it than you do actually designing them..

It is very early days at the moment, but the way the team is playing seems to be a stark illustration of how this type of coaching works, on both sides of the ball...

Quoydogs
09-29-2009, 07:04 AM
I was pretty hard Mcd When he came in. There was a lot of emotion involved. I mean replacing Shanny, Culter, Marshall ect....

I will say I started to get respect for him when he started to talk out the team and not players.
Now I see what a distraction one player can be. I mean just look at the pain in the ass Marshall has become. I think Jay would have freaked out in this system.

I will admit he is growing on me. I think Shanny had too much say and not enough focus on the D and Special teams.

Traveler
09-29-2009, 07:44 AM
Slowly but surely, we are getting a glimpse into why Bowlen selected Josh McDaniels as coach.

bronclvr
09-29-2009, 07:54 AM
After Sunday's game I wondered what Shanahan must be thinking-I think it's human nature to hope that the person who takes your Job fails, so that your former Employer will want you back (or give you vindication), and McDaniels is sure making it easier to forget Shanahanahan-

It's funny how this Board has changed after three wins-all of a sudden McDaniels is the new savior, but I guess that is what it would take to change opinions-

I hope the kid sticks. It would go a long way in showing that Bowlen isn't nuts-

baja
09-29-2009, 08:22 AM
I'm still convinced that that was 99% of the problem with Slowik - it wasn't that his schemes were awful (although I'm not saying they were great either) its just that he couldn't get the players to execute them.

And I do think that its the individual nature of it, rather than the specific techniques that is important: recognising that everybody learns differently. No matter how innovative your techniques, and that you need to spend more time making sure that people understand it than you do actually designing them..

It is very early days at the moment, but the way the team is playing seems to be a stark illustration of how this type of coaching works, on both sides of the ball...

If you are right it is telling that Shanahan did not see that, maybe he suffers for the same issue.