PDA

View Full Version : Dont look now but...

lex
09-27-2009, 10:53 PM
Moreno is almost on pace for 1000 yards even considering the first game. I think he's on pace for around 975 right now. Thats pretty good considering he wasnt used that much in the first game. He also seems to be getting more comfortable. And even beyond that, today he had 90 yards while averaging over 4 yards per carry while his longest run was only 9 yards. Thats pretty good for now. Our running game has looked pretty solid. Hopefully, they dont fall in love with the pass as the season progresses. Its been nice having balance but they need to do this against the better teams too.

Rock Chalk
09-27-2009, 10:56 PM
Moreno will be used more and more each week and Im thinking he gets around 1200 yards this season with Buck amassing 800-900 yards and Jordon/Hillis/Receiver end arounds pulling in another 300 or so.

That would be a 2400 yard rushing season for the team and one I am completely comfortable with.

Inkana7
09-27-2009, 10:57 PM
I'm loving the Buckhalter-Moreno combo. Very potent.

DivineLegion
09-27-2009, 10:58 PM
Lex, to be honest this is the first positive thing I have seen you post in a long long time. Good to see you back and optimistic.

With how well our Line handled the Raider improved front 4 I have a feeling Kno is going to have a break out game against either the Chargers or Patriots, and run for 150+ yards. Im worried about the Cowboys, I think its possible but we need more of a balanced effort leaning toward the pass to beat the girls.

Rock Chalk
09-27-2009, 11:04 PM
Lex, to be honest this is the first positive thing I have seen you post in a long long time. Good to see you back and optimistic.

With how well our Line handled the Raider improved front 4 I have a feeling Kno is going to have a break out game against either the Chargers or Patriots, and run for 150+ yards. Im worried about the Cowboys, I think its possible but we need more of a balanced effort leaning toward the pass to beat the girls.

Dallas is giving up 4.8 ypc rusing defense with 3 20+ yard runs against them. (they are the overall 22nd ranked rushing defense).

They are currently rated as the worst passing defense in the league giving up 303 yards per game.

That may be skewed a little by playing against the Giants but the Bucs' Cadillac had 97 yards rushing at 7.5 a clip and Ward had 62 at 5.2 a clip against Dallas in week 1.

Leftwich threw for 276 yards so clearly their defense isn't all that great.

listopencil
09-27-2009, 11:07 PM
Moreno is almost on pace for 100 yards even considering the first game. I think he's on pace for around 975 right now. Thats pretty good considering he wasnt used that much in the first game. He also seems to be getting more comfortable. And even beyond that, today he had 90 yards while averaging over 4 yards per carry while his longest run was only 9 yards. Thats pretty good for now. Our running game has looked pretty solid. Hopefully, they dont fall in love with the pass as the season progresses. Its been nice having balance but they need to do this against the better teams too.

Yep, he's running very effectively. He's usually taking the most yards he can get on every play. It's nice. Even when the blocking isn't perfect he's showing enough vision/speed/strength/body control to get the tough yards. I've seen him progress every week. I have to wonder what his limit is, how good is he going to get? He could be a special back.

Killericon
09-27-2009, 11:09 PM
Funny that we had to get Shanahan out of town to get a 1000 yard running back again.

lex
09-27-2009, 11:15 PM
Yep, he's running very effectively. He's usually taking the most yards he can get on every play. It's nice. Even when the blocking isn't perfect he's showing enough vision/speed/strength/body control to get the tough yards. I've seen him progress every week. I have to wonder what his limit is, how good is he going to get? He could be a special back.

Its just the tip of the iceberg. To many, 90 yards with a ypc over 4 and a long run of 9 is "yeah,...ok" but its actually huge. As you alluded, it says Moreno is doing a good job of maximizing runs. But having said that, theres room for a lot more. The guy, while he has been maximizing runs, has been running out of his shoes a little but. His brain seems to be moving faster than his feet at times. When he gets his feet under him and has a better feel, you have to think he'll start gashing defenses in a big way.

Memento
09-27-2009, 11:18 PM
It'll be nice when we use him in the passing game more, too... I'm sure that's coming.

lex
09-27-2009, 11:20 PM
Funny that we had to get Shanahan out of town to get a 1000 yard running back again.

Ive been very steadfast that we need to upgrade the running game and that the previous approach was one of minimizing what should be a strength. Considering the Pats lost a SB because their offense was too pass happy, I had doubts about what the running game would look like. I thought even if effective, it would be gimmicky but it hasnt been that at all. Granted, these past two teams were awful but, still, its nice to see the running game being valued, since we'd lost our way with that recently.

I still kind of wish we would focus on it more even against good run defenses. I think in the big picture, it would be befeficial. If you can run, teams have to respect you and that opens up other things.

Killericon
09-27-2009, 11:21 PM
Ive been very steadfast that we need to upgrade the running game and that the previous approach was one of minimizing what should be a strength. Considering the Pats lost a SB because their offense was too pass happy, I had doubts about what the running game would look like. I thought even if effective, it would be gimmicky but it hasnt been that at all. Granted, these past two teams were awful but, still, its nice to see the running game being valued, since we'd lost our way with that recently.

I still kind of wish we would focus on it more even against good run defenses. I think in the big picture, it would be befeficial. If you can run, teams have to respect you and that opens up other things.

I'd say Josh learned his lesson from that Super Bowl.

lex
09-27-2009, 11:22 PM
It'll be nice when we use him in the passing game more, too... I'm sure that's coming.

No, its nice seeing the RBs utilized as RBs. We need to continue cultivating that.

Rock Chalk
09-27-2009, 11:23 PM

23 pass attempts vs 45 rushing attempts and you want us to focus on it more?

lex
09-27-2009, 11:25 PM
23 pass attempts vs 45 rushing attempts and you want us to focus on it more?

I was talking about going forward, dink. I thought that was fairly obvious. Apparently not.

Memento
09-27-2009, 11:27 PM
No, its nice seeing the RBs utilized as RBs. We need to continue cultivating that.

Not so sure... I think that's a bit off, Lex. One of the big reasons McDaniels took him in the draft: his versatility. He has great hands coming out of the backfield. Get him one-on-one with LBs and DBs. He'll make them look bad. Real bad.

Rock Chalk
09-27-2009, 11:31 PM
I was talking about going forward, dink. I thought that was fairly obvious. Apparently not.

You keep saying that but every week we have rushed more and more. I thought it would be obvious that we were focusing on it more.

The Raiders were SUPPOSED to have a good run defense afterall.

Popps
09-27-2009, 11:54 PM
Again, Buck was another guy people ridiculed this off-season. But, like Gaffney, Davis, Ried and others... he's proved to be a very integral part of our early success.

Moreno is beginning to show us why he was picked. The Raiders have a decent defense. They're not soft. He was busting through them for extra yards today. I love the kid's fight. Always looks like he's close to breaking one off.

Zoobie
09-28-2009, 12:02 AM
Again, Buck was another guy people ridiculed this off-season. But, like Gaffney, Davis, Ried and others... he's proved to be a very integral part of our early success.

Moreno is beginning to show us why he was picked. The Raiders have a decent defense. They're not soft. He was busting through them for extra yards today. I love the kid's fight. Always looks like he's close to breaking one off.

Agreed, he is always squirming and pushing to push forward for extra yards. Having said that, it's kind of scary at the same time as he could get rolled up on or have any sort of injury occur with that wreckless abandon. Double-edged sword.

DivineLegion
09-28-2009, 12:07 AM
Agreed, he is always squirming and pushing to push forward for extra yards. Having said that, it's kind of scary at the same time as he could get rolled up on or have any sort of injury occur with that wreckless abandon. Double-edged sword.

Its that Drive thats going to make him a great Running back in this league. The kid never gives up on a run, and then pops right back up and jogs to the huddle.

If we can only get him to do the Mile High Salute...

lex
09-28-2009, 07:02 AM
Not so sure... I think that's a bit off, Lex. One of the big reasons McDaniels took him in the draft: his versatility. He has great hands coming out of the backfield. Get him one-on-one with LBs and DBs. He'll make them look bad. Real bad.

Im aware of that but Denver needed a running game more than it needed help in the passing game, for the sake of balance.