PDA

View Full Version : Broncos believe they have a special coach

BMarsh615
09-27-2009, 09:16 PM
Broncos believe they have a special coach (http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post/_/id/4447/broncos-believe-they-have-a-special-coach)

OAKLAND -- Vonnie Holliday had heard the stories about the Denver Broncos under young head coach Josh McDaniels when he was deciding whether to join the team a week before the start of the season.

McDaniels had almost attained villain status in Denver. He ran a Pro Bowl quarterback out of town. He fought with a Pro Bowl receiver. He traded a first-round pick in next year’s draft. He relied on his New England Patriots roots more than anything else as he built his roster. He didn’t add any recognizable names to his defensive front.

The Broncos, after 14 years of mostly good times in the Mike Shanahan era, were being questioned nationally. There were whispers about whether the kid from Canton, Ohio, would go one and done in Denver. There was arguably no coach in the history of the NFL who faced more scrutiny before walking the sideline for the first time than McDaniels.

“I heard all of that,” Holliday said Sunday. “But when I was talking to some coaches on this staff, guys who were much older and much more experienced than Coach McDaniels, they said, ‘Don’t listen.’ They said some good things were happening here. They said Coach McDaniels was special ... it didn’t take me long to realize they were right. There’s something about Josh McDaniels.”

Three games into McDaniels' NFL head-coaching career, and it’s difficult to argue with Holliday. There is something about McDaniels.

His Broncos dismantled the Oakland Raiders on the road in a 23-3 victory Sunday. They dominated every phase of the game as they raised their record to 3-0 against the shell-shocked Raiders.

If there's an early favorite for the surprise team of 2009, it has to be Denver, and McDaniels has to be considered an early candidate NFL coach of the year.

Of course, it has been only three games and Denver is now entering a brutal 10-game stretch: Dallas, New England, at San Diego, at Baltimore, Pittsburgh, at Washington, San Diego, the New York Giants, at Kansas City and at Indianapolis. Sure, the Redskins and the Chiefs don’t look like killers, but this a meaty schedule.

“Nothing gets better than 3-0. But we also know that we are very humble and we have got to understand that it’s a long way to go and a lot of things to improve on,” McDaniels said. “But we are happy to be 3-0.”

We’ll find out much more about Denver in the coming weeks. But what we know now is the Broncos are undefeated and look much better than they were expected to be. Quarterback Kyle Orton, acquired in the controversial Jay Cutler trade, is not terrific, but he is efficient and Denver is running the ball well.

Defensively, Denver is much improved from the past couple of seasons. The Broncos have allowed an NFL-low 16 points and one touchdown this season. They have created eight turnovers, five less than all of last season.

In addition to McDaniels’ impact on his new team, many around the league have wondered if New England’s unsteady offensive start has anything to do with playing without McDaniels, whose offense set records.

McDaniels said he does not feel vindicated after being questioned about his decisions during his first offseason.

“The people that we care about and their opinions are the ones in our building," he said. "We know what we are doing. We feel comfortable and confident in our players, with who we drafted and what we’ve done. I’ve never wavered from it for one minute and we aren’t now.”

So far, the Broncos couldn’t be happier with the decision to fire Shanahan and replace him with McDaniels, who turned 33 in April. Shanahan was fired because his message got stale. The Broncos hired McDaniels because they thought he’d bring energy and much-needed youthful zeal.

McDaniels is a guy who does television shows in jeans and Birkenstocks. He laughs with team employees in the building and he twirls his whistle in practice. When Holliday first visited the Broncos, he saw a young man sitting at a desk, wearing a sweatshirt and a hat pulled low to his eyes with his feet kicked up. He said he had no idea it was the coach.

“From our first meeting I knew [Denver owner Pat] Bowlen made the right decision,” Denver receiver Brandon Stokley said. “We’re lucky we have him. We’ve all bought into his plan.”

Several Denver veterans said what sticks out most about McDaniels is his belief that the Broncos are going to win every game. He oozes confidence. When I met with McDaniels in August, he made a point of saying he has never been part of a team that was even .500, dating back to his CYA basketball team when he was 9. He said he has always been a winner and has no plans of ever being a loser.

“He’s all about the details,” Holliday said. “He breaks down every potential game situation. He knows our upcoming opponent so well ... Take age out of this thing. He’s got football knowledge that goes way beyond his years. I really think something special is happening here.”

It’s early, but after three games it’s difficult to quarrel with what McDaniels has done in Denver.

BMarsh615
09-27-2009, 09:17 PM
If you asked me two months ago if I would be reading an article like this about McDaniels I would have said you are nuts. But DAMN! The players really seem to love this guy, and some of those quotes go above and beyond just simply talking up your Head Coach.

WABronco
09-27-2009, 09:19 PM
Birks? Nicccccce.

Crushaholic
09-27-2009, 09:21 PM
We're getting better every week. I love seeing that...:strong:

Rock Chalk
09-27-2009, 09:22 PM
Its so weird. Some of my friends in Texas are under the impression that Denver was in a near mutinous position over McDaniels yet I had never heard anything of the sort. Maybe the fans were, but not the players.

The most important thing McD keeps saying is that we still have a lot of work to do. Thats so freaking encouraging.

BlaK-Argentina
09-27-2009, 09:22 PM
This is why you don't freak out before the team has played a meaningul snap. Of course you shouldn't think we're world beaters yet either, but so far so good.

WABronco
09-27-2009, 09:26 PM
^This is why you don't listen to mainstream media. John Clayton has been ripping on Denver and McD for months now up here in Seattle on the local ESPN station, almost unsolicited at times. I believe he predicted 3-4 wins and called Denver an expansion team. He also had a bunch of segments predicting Seattle's season, and he rattled off 10 or 11 wins, if memory serves me correctly. I'm going to enjoy listening to him try and cover his ass on his bi-weekly appearances. He was saying last week that even if Denver went 3-0, it was entirely likely that we'd lose the next 8 in a row. LoL.

Sassy
09-27-2009, 09:28 PM
“From our first meeting I knew [Denver owner Pat] Bowlen made the right decision,” Denver receiver Brandon Stokley said. “We’re lucky we have him. We’ve all bought into his plan.”

Several Denver veterans said what sticks out most about McDaniels is his belief that the Broncos are going to win every game. He oozes confidence. When I met with McDaniels in August, he made a point of saying he has never been part of a team that was even .500, dating back to his CYA basketball team when he was 9. He said he has always been a winner and has no plans of ever being a loser.

“He’s all about the details,” Holliday said. “He breaks down every potential game situation. He knows our upcoming opponent so well ... Take age out of this thing. He’s got football knowledge that goes way beyond his years. I really think something special is happening here.”
Hard to argue with Veteran players...

SoDak Bronco
09-27-2009, 09:29 PM
i love how he exploits matchups...last week it was moving elvis to go against the RT, this week it was having Bmarsh and are inside slot WR go across the middle matched up w/a LB!!! The Broncos coachies are going to try and exploit the opponents on both sides of the ball and give us a chance to make plays...great start!!

BlaK-Argentina
09-27-2009, 09:34 PM
^This is why you don't listen to mainstream media. John Clayton has been ripping on Denver and McD for months now up here in Seattle on the local ESPN station, almost unsolicited at times. I believe he predicted 3-4 wins and called Denver an expansion team. He also had a bunch of segments predicting Seattle's season, and he rattled off 10 or 11 wins, if memory serves me correctly. I'm going to enjoy listening to him try and cover his ass on his bi-weekly appearances. He was saying last week that even if Denver went 3-0, it was entirely likely that we'd lose the next 8 in a row. LoL.

Please let us know how that goes for him... Hilarious!

bpc
09-27-2009, 09:40 PM
Gotta give him his props. He's doing a bang up job so far.

I hope he can navigate the next 10 games just as well.

WABronco
09-27-2009, 09:49 PM
"Denver rookie HC Josh McDaniels doesn't have a grasp on how to build a team."-John Clayton

^pulled that from MHR's twitter

Doggcow
09-27-2009, 10:03 PM
"denver rookie hc josh mcdaniels doesn't have a grasp on how to build a team."-john clayton

^pulled that from mhr's twitter

lol

Pony Boy
09-27-2009, 10:04 PM
I'm buying stock in McDaniel's, If it doesn't come together this year, well at least I feel good about the future. Unfortunately Mike Nolan will be gone, he will get another shot at a head coaching position.

Man-Goblin
09-27-2009, 10:07 PM
Coach and personnel director, too (by all reliable reports?).

Now, that is the only portion of this whole transition that I (and many, many others) admittedly had questioned. It still seems like too much for someone so young to handle? Doesn't it?

But I was sitting there watching the game today thinking, "what did the organization really do wrong this offseason?"

People can argue about the Cutler situation all they want. But since then? A young head coach, who after his hiring was put (allegedly) in charge of personnel decisions:

a) surrounded himself with veteran coaches
b) implemented policies from his previous organization that were successful
c) through evaluation improved the scheme and increased the size and toughness of the defense

Those are the three biggest factors in his success that I feel he has made. There are many others, but I'm too lazy right now to come up with more letters.

The losses, and the critics, will come. But I like where this team is going.

ayjackson
09-27-2009, 10:11 PM
Gotta give him his props. He's doing a bang up job so far.

I hope he can navigate the next 10 games just as well.

@Washington, home to SD, and @KC look winnable, we just have to find one or two more, and we'll be in good shape.....but yeah, that schedule looks tough.

baja
09-27-2009, 10:30 PM
"Denver rookie HC Josh McDaniels doesn't have a grasp on how to build a team."-John Clayton

^pulled that from MHR's twitter

Gotta preserve that one.

Popps
09-27-2009, 10:36 PM
This is why you don't freak out before the team has played a meaningul snap. Of course you shouldn't think we're world beaters yet either, but so far so good.

Yep.

Now we have evidence and can do some evaluation. It's limited evidence, but it's evidence.

All a lot of us were saying all off-season was... hey, let's see what we have here. It looks better on paper. Apparently, that was "drinking kool-aid."

Well, the kool-aid tastes mighty good right about now, folks.

Hope the crow is going down as easily...

bpc
09-27-2009, 10:41 PM
No, the drinking the kool-aid reference from most of us who did not agree with most of the offseason activities centered around trading a franchise QB.

I still don't see how that has to do with us eating crow? It was a stupid move, however, I'll give McDaniels his due. He's coached the hell out of these guys and they have bought into the system. We're 3-0 and all. Let's all say yay.

The next 10 is where we'll find out a lot about this team and how good of a job McDaniels can do. I hope we win a lot.

No, I don't reconsider my stance on drinking the Kool-Aid. Jay Cutler is looking great for Chicago right now. Trust me, I was in Seattle this weekend, had a chance to talk with a lot of Bears fans in town for the Seattle game... THEY ARE LOVING Jay. 1 bad half of football aside, he's been helping their team win including the last two weeks with come from behind drives to win their ball games.

Rock Chalk
09-27-2009, 10:46 PM
Jay Cutler is lucky the Bears are not 0-3 bpc but keep your blinders on. It's all good.

Broncojef
09-27-2009, 10:47 PM
The patriots seem to be struggling a great deal right now on offense I wonder if josh was the glue that helped hold them together.

Popps
09-27-2009, 10:50 PM
No, the drinking the kool-aid reference from most of us who did not agree with most of the offseason activities centered around trading a franchise QB.

I still don't see how that has to do with us eating crow? It was a stupid move, however, I'll give McDaniels his due. He's coached the hell out of these guys and they have bought into the system. We're 3-0 and all. Let's all say yay.

The next 10 is where we'll find out a lot about this team and how good of a job McDaniels can do. I hope we win a lot.

No, I don't reconsider my stance on drinking the Kool-Aid. Jay Cutler is looking great for Chicago right now. Trust me, I was in Seattle this weekend, had a chance to talk with a lot of Bears fans in town for the Seattle game... THEY ARE LOVING Jay. 1 bad half of football aside, he's been helping their team win including the last two weeks with come from behind drives to win their ball games.

We'll see which "Jay" shows up in a game that matters. Right now, he's got a lower rating than Orton and is basically dead-even with him in passing. (Aside from throwing more INTs.)

As for the kool-aid reference, that was what people were called around here if they said that maybe we should wait before we declared the season a failure. People trolled this board non-stop calling people homers, sheep and kool-aid drinkers for simply having a little faith in their franchise, and wanting to see some evidence before they called their own team dogs#it.

It's time to get over Jay Cutler. He was a losing QB in Denver. We're winning games and the only thing he may mean to us is a higher draft pick next year.

Sassy
09-27-2009, 10:50 PM
Jay Cutler is lucky the Bears are not 0-3 bpc but keep your blinders on. It's all good.

Yep....I have had several Bears fans tell me that we can have our pro bowl qb back.

Popps
09-27-2009, 10:52 PM

Yea, a dude hits a couple of routine FGs last week, and they're 1-2 right now.

They have a freebie next week against Detroit, though.

baja
09-27-2009, 11:42 PM
Seeing lots o Joshs.

Drek
09-28-2009, 05:06 AM

Don't you mean trading a player with franchise QB potential? Because I'm pretty sure to actually be a franchise QB you've got to at least make the playoffs once. Kinda seems like one of those "this tall to ride" requirements before you can even enter that discussion.

And I don't see how moving a player, no matter how good, who obviously is unwilling to buy into the new regime's concept of team first, last, and always is a stupid move. Cutler wanted special treatment (a guarantee he wouldn't be traded, his own words) and McDaniels refused to give it to him. Thats what it was all about, and I don't see how McDaniels wasn't totally in the right on that issue.

If Seattle wasn't missing a half dozen starters including their QB they're 0-3.

But hey, its early season so its mostly good Cutler. Choker Cutler doesn't show up until the last 4-5 games.

Man-Goblin
09-28-2009, 06:10 AM

Actually, it happened again this week. Kicker missed two easy ones. If you haven't seen it yet, the Jim Mora tirade about the kicker is hilarious.

Nonetheless, the Bears could easily be 0-3.

colonelbeef
09-28-2009, 06:19 AM
Birks? Nicccccce.

god damn hippies

colonelbeef
09-28-2009, 06:25 AM

this.

Cutler is still a good player, turning into a great player. Losing him was still and will always be a terrible decision. Wanting to explore trading him for Cassel? Moronic.

The 2009 Denver Broncos would be a better team with Jay Cutler, it's that simple.

Now, losing him doesn't make McDaniels any less of a coach, and the defense has obviously improved. These events, however, are not mutually exclusive regarding the Cutler mistake.

Losing Cutler was a mistake. The Broncos look improved defensively and on ST so far. These two statements can live together. Why is this so difficult to grasp?

cousinal11
09-28-2009, 06:36 AM
McDaniels is our best weapon right now.

barryr
09-28-2009, 06:44 AM
The naysayers on this board and in the media are eating crow. No way did any of them predict the Broncos being 3-0 right now. This is why me and many others around here, the same ones at least, stated people need to wait before they even play a game to start calling for McDaniels to be fired.

Liquid Courage
09-28-2009, 06:55 AM
Has anyone else noticed that McD's game management seems more reminiscent of Parcells than Belicheck? I must admit that this team resembles more of the Giants of the 80's than the Patriots of early 2000. Limit mistakes, run down their throat and utilize defensive pressure to keep the odds of winning in your favor. I like the simplicity if not the implications for the likes of Eddie Royal and BMarsh.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
09-28-2009, 06:57 AM
@Washington, home to SD, and @KC look winnable, we just have to find one or two more, and we'll be in good shape.....but yeah, that schedule looks tough.

@SD isn't out of the question, either. DAL at home this weekend is a winnable game, especially with how our D can exploint weaknesses.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
09-28-2009, 06:59 AM
Has anyone else noticed that McD's game management seems more reminiscent of Parcells than Belicheck? I must admit that this team resembles more of the Giants of the 80's than the Patriots of early 2000. Limit mistakes, run down their throat and utilize defensive pressure to keep the odds of winning in your favor. I like the simplicity if not the implications for the likes of Eddie Royal and BMarsh.

Seems to me like a mix of early Shanahan and Parcells. Run up a comfortable margin, then sit on the ball, keep pushing defensively, and run the rock. That's why LaMont Jordan is here. The guy has four fumbles -- total -- in his career.

Defense and ball protection.

bpc
09-28-2009, 07:07 AM
We'll see which "Jay" shows up in a game that matters. Right now, he's got a lower rating than Orton and is basically dead-even with him in passing. (Aside from throwing more INTs.)

As for the kool-aid reference, that was what people were called around here if they said that maybe we should wait before we declared the season a failure. People trolled this board non-stop calling people homers, sheep and kool-aid drinkers for simply having a little faith in their franchise, and wanting to see some evidence before they called their own team dogs#it.

It's time to get over Jay Cutler. He was a losing QB in Denver. We're winning games and the only thing he may mean to us is a higher draft pick next year.

I think its funny that you are considering Orton is the reason we are winning, and Cutler was the reason we were losing.

Guess what? Wrong on both accounts. The success of Denver and now Chicago is completely opposite of both of your theories.

Denver has been spurred by one of the best early season defensive transitions that I can remember and has been buoyed by a potent if not overachieving running game.

Chicago has been buoyed by Cutler. He's given them a chance to win in every game by navigating their young offense to 2nd half leads in all three games, including at Green Bay ( who expected Chicago to win there? ), at Seattle (home of the 12th man, notoriously hostile environment ), and against the defending super bowl champion Pittsburgh Steelers.

If I had to compare, and I hate to do that, Cutler's performance has been far more impressive considering where and who he has had to play.

Good for Jay, i'm still not complaining about being 3-0 against far more inferior opposition.

In contrast, Orton has managed to take two 90-100 catch wide receivers to average status while Cutler has managed to make three un-knowns on offense as receivers look like huge playmakers. Those three of course being J. Knox (who?), Earl Bennett, and Devon Hester (former DB).

Call it what you want, but both players have been largely successful for their teams.

I hope Denver keeps winning. I'm enjoying this physical brand of football especially with our new 3-4 defense, i've long been a fan of it.

Best of luck to Jay Cutler and the Bears. I know he'll continue to be a bright young QB in the NFL and Bears fans will be enjoying his tremendous ability for years to come, and the wins that come with it.

bronco militia
09-28-2009, 07:10 AM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31XdfHsMynL._SL500_AA269_.jpg

bpc
09-28-2009, 07:16 AM
Don't you mean trading a player with franchise QB potential? Because I'm pretty sure to actually be a franchise QB you've got to at least make the playoffs once. Kinda seems like one of those "this tall to ride" requirements before you can even enter that discussion.

And I don't see how moving a player, no matter how good, who obviously is unwilling to buy into the new regime's concept of team first, last, and always is a stupid move. Cutler wanted special treatment (a guarantee he wouldn't be traded, his own words) and McDaniels refused to give it to him. Thats what it was all about, and I don't see how McDaniels wasn't totally in the right on that issue.

But hey, its early season so its mostly good Cutler. Choker Cutler doesn't show up until the last 4-5 games.

You sound very bitter and i'm sure you'll be leading the hate parade when Jay is leading the Bears to multiple playoff appearances, if not super bowls.

You should really learn to just get over it.

We're 3-0, they're 2-1. Both parties have looked good.

Congrats to both sides and move along. No need to reply, just let it go.

Popcorn Sutton
09-28-2009, 07:18 AM
Gotta preserve that one.

Agreed. FWIW, I wrote John Clayton an email last season and he responded to it. I don't recall what his email address was but I'm sure somebody could find it pretty easily.

Smiling Assassin27
09-28-2009, 07:19 AM
i love how he exploits matchups...last week it was moving elvis to go against the RT, this week it was having Bmarsh and are inside slot WR go across the middle matched up w/a LB!!! The Broncos coachies are going to try and exploit the opponents on both sides of the ball and give us a chance to make plays...great start!!

Winner. Yesterday, it was like they knew what defense the Raiders were gonna run before they ran it. They run blitz, we pitch toss away from it and gash 'em for 9. They play their LB's in coverage, we run a drag route with clear outs that have nnamdi 25 yards away.

It's become clear that the guy, and the staff he's assembled, are quality X's and O's guys, who know situational football very well and demand a lot from their players while still giving them room to rely on their abilities. Color me impressed.

baja
09-28-2009, 07:22 AM
Josh McDaniels is going to win Coach of the Year this season. Mark it down.

Popcorn Sutton
09-28-2009, 07:22 AM
@SD isn't out of the question, either. DAL at home this weekend is a winnable game, especially with how our D can exploint weaknesses.

Figure out what to do with Witten and we're in good shape. The corners can in large part be left alone to cover the Dallas receivers. I hope they commit a DB to cover Witten and even double cover him in the flat with a LB or something. Romo is pretty good at throwing the ball around but he definitely seems to look Witten's way first. If the Broncos can force him to look at 2nd and 3rd options all day it's likely the Dumervil and company get home a few times.

Popcorn Sutton
09-28-2009, 07:29 AM
Josh McDaniels is going to win Coach of the Year this season. Mark it down.

I won't go that far but I am glad we have him. My hopes for this season is that we can prove to be competitive against this middle part of the schedule and even win a few games. If we go 3-5 in the next 8 games it's conceivable we could make the playoffs. The Broncos would be sitting at 6-5 and potentially have the ability to go 8-8 to 9-7 which might get it done. It depends on San Diego who also has a tough schedule this year. I said 6-10 before the season started and I'd be the first to jump for joy if they beat my prediction.

McDaniels has surrounded himself with a good staff, run a tight ship, shown the ability to meticulously prepare for an opponent, shown the ability to gain respect of the veteran players and most importantly the ability to make the difficult decisions despite what the media and fans think of him. He's not trying to win a popularity contest, he's trying to build a TEAM and so far the TEAM seems to be buying in.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
09-28-2009, 07:31 AM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31XdfHsMynL._SL500_AA269_.jpg
Stupid post. Really stupid.

So fluffy, you couldn't help but read it. Retard.

Rohirrim
09-28-2009, 07:34 AM

I guarantee you, if Cutler was still here our INTs would be up. He doesn't have the patience, or the humility, to be the kind of team player and game manager that Orton is. I'm sure McD saw that pretty early on. If there is one thing that Cutler would do that Orton will not do, it's try to force it into coverage. And just like Favre, sometimes it's fun to watch, and even impressive, and sometimes you get to watch the other guy run it back the other way. So far, Cutler is down five in INTs. Orton has 0.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
09-28-2009, 07:40 AM
I guarantee you, if Cutler was still here our INTs would be up. He doesn't have the patience, or the humility, to be the kind of team player and game manager that Orton is. I'm sure McD saw that pretty early on. If there is one thing that Cutler would do that Orton will not do, it's try to force it into coverage. And just like Favre, sometimes it's fun to watch, and even impressive, and sometimes you get to watch the other guy run it back the other way. So far, Cutler is down five in INTs. Orton has 0.

And a fumble. Don't forget the fumble.

TD's: 6
Turnovers: 6

Same ol' Cutler.

bronco militia
09-28-2009, 07:43 AM
Stupid post. Really stupid.

So fluffy, you couldn't help but read it. Retard.

:welcome:

Ha!

keep posting...it looks like you need the practice

Broncojef
09-28-2009, 07:44 AM

Moreover, I'm convinced Josh saw Cutler for what he was and determined early in his stint in Denver that he would never be the leader he needed to build a winner. The trading of jay was just as much needed as the firing of Shanahan to get us back on track as a franchise. This point has been made very clear to Marshall the last few months as well. All the disfunctionality had to be broken before we could build the perfect beast. Everyone in the Broncos organization knows who is in charge now and we'll be a better team for it going forward.

TailgateNut
09-28-2009, 07:47 AM
Moreover, I'm convinced Josh saw Cutler for what he was and determined early in his stint in Denver that he would never be the leader he needed to build a winner. The trading of jay was just as much needed as the firing of Shanahan to get us back on track as a franchise. This point has been made very clear to Marshall the last few months as well. All the disfunctionality had to be broken before we could build the perfect beast. Everyone in the Broncos organization knows who is in charge now and we'll be a better team for it going forward.

It's about reaping rewards without rewarding a few key players by kissing their collective asses.
Treat every player the same.

broncofan7
09-28-2009, 07:51 AM
The media is NOW BUILDING HIM UP to make the FALL that much greater; it's what they do...I am greatly impressed with our team's discipline--it has increased TWENTY FOLD. Nolan has done a wizard like job on our defense--McD needs some credit for bringing him in and bringing in the AFC East couple of Hill and Goodman along with Dawkins. 3-0 is FANTASTIC! But even Tom Jackson acknowledged that we have beaten '2 tomato cans' the last 2 weeks--but beating teams that we are SUPPOSED to beat is a good 1st step..........bump this thread in another 4 weeks --if Orton looks like he can hold up his end by outscoring a team--then I'll eat my crow--right now he has been CARRIED by the defense--For now you had better just keep the Crow in the freezer.....

Steve Sewell
09-28-2009, 08:24 AM

So true. I think the funniest thing about it is that people question Pat Bowlen's track record. Anyone care to remind me how many SB's, playoff victories, and winning seasons have occurred under his stewardship? I think we have maybe 2-3 losing seasons out of 25 or so. That's insane success in the NFL.

TonyR
09-28-2009, 08:33 AM
Chicago has been buoyed by Cutler. He's given them a chance to win in every game by navigating their young offense to 2nd half leads in all three games, including at Green Bay ( who expected Chicago to win there? ), at Seattle (home of the 12th man, notoriously hostile environment ), and against the defending super bowl champion Pittsburgh Steelers.

I agree with you overall but to be fair it should be pointed out that Green Bay lost at home to Cincinnati and Pittsburgh and Seattle are now both 1-2. If some field goals are made Chi very possibly loses to both Pittsburgh and Seattle. And Seattle was missing a lot of players, most notably their starting QB. Jay has played well overall but Chicago is fortunate to be 2-1.

baja
09-28-2009, 08:39 AM

You get it.

GeniusatWork
09-28-2009, 08:41 AM
Coach deserves the support. He was getting hammered and ridiculed by amateurs, but the professionals didn't panic.

bpc
09-28-2009, 10:32 PM
I agree with you overall but to be fair it should be pointed out that Green Bay lost at home to Cincinnati and Pittsburgh and Seattle are now both 1-2. If some field goals are made Chi very possibly loses to both Pittsburgh and Seattle. And Seattle was missing a lot of players, most notably their starting QB. Jay has played well overall but Chicago is fortunate to be 2-1.

Call it what you want but in the clutch, Cutler has led them to leads in the 4th quarter and a couple wins. People can argue all they want bug check the boxscore. Jay has done his job as a playmaking QB.

TonyR
09-29-2009, 05:40 AM
Beware . . . the Broncos?
Posted by Mike Florio on September 29, 2009 7:23 AM ET

Last week, some were calling the Broncos the worst 2-0 team in league history.

Now, some are calling them the worst 3-0 team in league history.

The way they're going, they've got a chance to end up being something other than the worst 5-0 team in league history, too.

Next up? Home games against the Cowboys and the Patriots.

Look at the official standings. In three games, the Broncos have allowed 16 points.

That's 5.3 points per game.

And, yes, they've been fortunate to build confidence against the likes of the Browns and the Raiders. But Week Two and Week Three have helped provide context for that Week One miracle against the Bengals.

Yes, the Broncos won the thing via a once-in-a-century bounce of the ball. But to hold the Bengals at home to seven points looks pretty darn impressive given what the Bengals have since done at Green Bay and against the Steelers.

So what's happening in Denver? It might not be a fluke. Now that Jay Cutler is long gone and the broomstick has been removed from Brandon Marshall's butt, the word is getting out that players appreciate their young head coach, Josh McDaniels.

"He's all about the details," defensive lineman Vonnie Holliday told ESPN.com's Bill Williamson after the Broncos defeated the Raiders. "He breaks down every potential game situation. He knows our upcoming opponent so well. . . . Take age out of this thing. He's got football knowledge that goes way beyond his years. I really think something special is happening here."

For now, Holliday doesn't have a lot of company in that sentiment. If the Broncos can knock off the Cowboys and the Patriots, Holliday might have to start throwing people off the bandwagon as they try to climb aboard for a ride to San Diego and a Monday night game against the Chargers.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/09/29/beware-the-broncos/