PDA

View Full Version : Just some Random Defensive Stats

Rock Chalk
09-27-2009, 09:33 PM
Who cares if its only week 3. Im ****ing excited. So here are some random D Stats for you.

First, the obvious:
1st in points allowed, 5.3
1st in Yds/G 214.7

Now for some more interesting stuff:

3rd Down %: 28% (t 4th)
TOP: 28:09 (t for 8th)
Plays FroM Scrimmage: 166 (9th)
Yards per play: 3.9 (1st)
1st downs per game: 12 (1st)
Penalties against: 14 (7th)
Sacks: 10 (t 1st)
Interceptions: 5 (t 5th)
Fumbles: 3 (t 3rd)

Rushing ypc: 3.3 (7th)
0 Rushing TDs given up
1 20+ yard rush given up (exactly 20 yards to Cedric Benson)
Passing yards per rec: 9.2 (t 3rd)
4 20+ Receptions, longest 34.
156.3 Pass YPG (3rd)
Passes Defensed: 19 (t 7th)

Not one stat anywhere is denver not in the top 10. Most stats we are in the top 5. Our lowest ranking is in scrimmage plays at 9th and most of that is due to the poor offense's performance in game 1 and giving Cincy many more possessions than they should have had.

I dont care who we have played. Last year we made ****ty teams look all world against us and this year we are doing what we SHOULD be doing against ****ty teams. Most telling is that we have limited the big plays against us (20+ yards) to 5 all season long, 1 rush and 4 passes. Thats freaking incredible folks.

Denver has given up exactly 3 drives of more than 10 plays all season long.

I know most of us were hoping for some improvement but can ANYONE here tell me that despite the competition, they expected to be 1st in ANY category on defense and in the top 10 in EVERY category on defense? Or the top 5 in MOST categories on defense? Even at this early stage against this weak competition? I think not.

Man-Goblin
09-27-2009, 09:39 PM
It's amazing, and I am very encouraged.

The naysayers will compare it to the smoke and mirrors show we saw 3 years ago when, as Al Michael's put it tonight, Coyer's defense "set all kinds of records the first half of the year."

Not sure if on my wary legs coming off my honeymoon I'm willing to give the stats a look to see if they prove that to be false (coughbull****cough), but we shall see.

Man-Goblin
09-27-2009, 09:40 PM
It's amazing, and I am very encouraged.

The naysayers will compare it to the smoke and mirrors show we saw 3 years ago when, as Al Michael's put it tonight, Coyer's defense "set all kinds of records the first half of the year."

Not sure if on my wary legs coming off my honeymoon I'm willing to give the stats a look to see if they prove that to be false (coughbull****cough), but we shall see.

Oh by the way, Michaels just said Denver is SHOCKINGLY 3-0.

Mogulseeker
09-27-2009, 09:40 PM
Who cares if its only week 3. Im ****ing excited. So here are some random D Stats for you.

First, the obvious:
1st in Yds/G 214.7

0 Rushing TDs given up
156.3 Pass YPG (3rd)

Not one stat anywhere is denver not in the top 10. Most stats we are in the top 5. Our lowest ranking is in scrimmage plays at 9th and most of that is due to the poor offense's performance in game 1 and giving Cincy many more possessions than they should have had.

I dont care who we have played. Last year we made ****ty teams look all world against us and this year we are doing what we SHOULD be doing against ****ty teams. Most telling is that we have limited the big plays against us (20+ yards) to 5 all season long, 1 rush and 4 passes. Thats freaking incredible folks.

I know most of us were hoping for some improvement but can ANYONE here tell me that despite the competition, they expected to be 1st in ANY category on defense and in the top 10 in EVERY category on defense? Or the top 5 in MOST categories on defense? Even at this early stage against this weak competition? I think not.

Uh-maze-ing

Doggcow
09-27-2009, 09:45 PM
Didn't Benson rush that TD in week 1?

cutthemdown
09-27-2009, 09:45 PM
I thought we could get into the top 15 overall in points and yrds but we may finish even higher.

Obviously we have some big challenges with this schedule but Broncos looking good.

baja
09-27-2009, 09:46 PM
We have demoralized two offenses and came close on the other.

Rock Chalk
09-27-2009, 09:47 PM
Didn't Benson rush that TD in week 1?

NFL.com doesnt have it listed as a rush so Im assuming it was a pass by Palmer.

tsiguy96
09-27-2009, 09:51 PM
NFL.com doesnt have it listed as a rush so Im assuming it was a pass by Palmer.

weird, benson definitely scored a TD on the final drive, right?

Beantown Bronco
09-27-2009, 09:55 PM

Yes. One yard rushing TD.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2009091303/2009/REG1/broncos@bengals/analyze/box-score#analyze-channels:cat-post-playbyplay

Popcorn Sutton
09-27-2009, 09:56 PM
Hey, we played both Cleveland and Oakland last year and clearly the games this year were much different for both. It took one of the best 2 quarters of football all season to come back and beat Cleveland and Oakland had some success against us last year. Even in the loss (Broncos wins) the Raiders were still able to do a few things on offense.

Rock Chalk
09-27-2009, 10:00 PM

Wierd, either NFL.com stats are wrong or I read the wrong column on that.

Regardless, 1 Rush TD allowed still = best in NFL.

Garcia Bronco
09-27-2009, 10:02 PM
Offenses still don't throw at Champ. 1 or 2 per game, but still the one.

Br0nc0Buster
09-27-2009, 10:04 PM
JeMarcus Russel had a career qb rating of 120 against our defense

The guy who cant hit runningbacks on screens had a 120 rating against us....that is until today

His rating was like 22 today

Yeah this defense is much different from last year
Dawkins, Nolan, Doom, etc... are pwning the crap out of teams that moved the ball at ease on us last year

Zoobie
09-27-2009, 10:05 PM
We are dominating teams we "should" beat. I don't buy that because as with every year in the NFL there are plenty of teams that "should" be playoff contenders that **** bricks and plenty of nobody teams that exceed expectations. I would agree that we have a tougher stretch of schedule coming up but the Patriots had trouble with the Bills, the Ravens had trouble with the Chiefs, Romo is still a choke artist, Chargers barely beat the Raiders, etc... We are putting teams away, and even when we have the lead, they aren't getting any freebie points on us. We aren't winning 27-17, or 31-20, we are punishing our opponents. We gave up one touchdown in the final minutes of our first game, and no one has seen the endzone against us since. Cleveland was held scoreless after the first quarter. The Raiders did absolutely nothing, they weren't even able to rack up meaningless yards when the game was out of reach.

Bottom line, with the turnover differential, run the ball, controll the time of possesion and we will get wins even against the "good" teams.

Garcia Bronco
09-27-2009, 10:05 PM
Dawkins: "We respect every team we play."

DivineLegion
09-27-2009, 10:06 PM
I bet this team would beat last years Broncos 24-10. I missed playing good defense, its so much more enjoyable to watch a good defense than a dynamic offense.

Broncos4Life
09-27-2009, 10:07 PM
Ok. But where are the maners that will find something to nitpick? C'mon! Where are you haters at?

Rock Chalk
09-27-2009, 10:12 PM
Ok. But where are the maners that will find something to nitpick? C'mon! Where are you haters at?

Dude, pick another thread.

Man-Goblin
09-27-2009, 10:14 PM
We are dominating teams we "should" beat. I don't buy that because as with every year in the NFL there are plenty of teams that "should" be playoff contenders that **** bricks and plenty of nobody teams that exceed expectations. I would agree that we have a tougher stretch of schedule coming up but the Patriots had trouble with the Bills, the Ravens had trouble with the Chiefs, Romo is still a choke artist, Chargers barely beat the Raiders, etc... We are putting teams away, and even when we have the lead, they aren't getting any freebie points on us. We aren't winning 27-17, or 31-20, we are punishing our opponents. We gave up one touchdown in the final minutes of our first game, and no one has seen the endzone against us since. Cleveland was held scoreless after the first quarter. The Raiders did absolutely nothing, they weren't even able to rack up meaningless yards when the game was out of reach.

Bottom line, with the turnover differential, run the ball, controll the time of possesion and we will get wins even against the "good" teams.

Exactly. This whole "should" beat thing is complete bull****. Hey, didn't some experts tab the Broncos to go 3-13 this year? Well, they are already at their win total, I suppose.

I hope that this brutal schedule, which supposedly starts next week, becomes predictably easier as the season goes on. It happens every year. I also hope the Broncos are on the winning end of many of the upsets, that those very same 3-13 prognosticators, never expected.

I guess we shall see.

BroncoMan4ever
09-27-2009, 11:39 PM

First, the obvious:
1st in Yds/G 214.7

0 Rushing TDs given up
156.3 Pass YPG (3rd)

that is incredible. Nolan is a genius. at no point would i have expected this D to be any better than middle of the pack. and even at middle of the pack, i would have been happy because it would be massive improvement over the last few seasons, but even against lower level talent it is great that the D looks as good as they do.

SonOfLe-loLang
09-28-2009, 12:15 AM
Ive heard a lot of commentators so far say the broncos have been impressive, but then list the three teams they've played. Cleveland and Oakland I'll give you, but why the hate on the Bengals? Didnt they just knock off Pitt and GB? Lame.

Popps
09-28-2009, 12:17 AM
Ive heard a lot of commentators so far say the broncos have been impressive, but then list the three teams they've played. Cleveland and Oakland I'll give you, but why the hate on the Bengals? Didnt they just knock off Pitt and GB? Lame.

Yep... and we did what we should have done against Cleveland, we smoked them.

In the modern-day NFL of parity, this kind of defensive start is impressive.

I think Dallas will have more success against us than the prior teams, but that's fine... as long as we come out with a W!

Bronco Yoda
09-28-2009, 12:25 AM
Elvis Dumervil is second in sacks with 6.

I bet our starting field position is near the top.

Zoobie
09-28-2009, 12:31 AM

Only thanks to our Defense. Our return game really needs to pick it up, they are a non factor.

Crushisback
09-28-2009, 12:51 AM
Fields has been playing lights out. Have you noticed the ONLY success teams have had running the ball on us is off the edge. He's not making the takles but he's eating up the space as he's supposed too.

Don't forget about Davis either. He's making some solid plays up the middle as well. When was the last time we had a MLB that could take on the middle run the way he does? It definately wasn't Wilsons strength. Esp late in his career.

Popps
09-28-2009, 01:07 AM
Don't forget about Davis either. .

Davis might have been the best defensive addition of the offseason.

I love Dawkins, but from a production standpoint, Davis has been fantastic.

BroncoMan4ever
09-28-2009, 02:38 AM
I bet this team would beat last years Broncos 24-10. I missed playing good defense, its so much more enjoyable to watch a good defense than a dynamic offense.

i think Cutler would get picked off 3 times and have a miserable day against this defense and would lead the team to a 24-6 loss.

and the sad thing is people would still swing from the guys nuts and go on and on about how bad Orton is.

BroncoMan4ever
09-28-2009, 02:42 AM
Fields has been playing lights out. Have you noticed the ONLY success teams have had running the ball on us is off the edge. He's not making the takles but he's eating up the space as he's supposed too.

Don't forget about Davis either. He's making some solid plays up the middle as well. When was the last time we had a MLB that could take on the middle run the way he does? It definately wasn't Wilsons strength. Esp late in his career.

Davis is really looking good. i didn't think he would look anywhere near as good as he does. i assumed he would be a 1 or 2 year stop gap guy and Fields would handle the Nose for a few games and then a rotation of him, Baker, and Thomas would begin to form.

basically every FA signing we had this offseason has performed incredibly, and is a lot better than i would have ever thought they would have been.

Rohirrim
09-28-2009, 02:53 AM

And by week 8 the talking heads will be calling ours the best secondary in the league. ;D

gtown
09-28-2009, 07:24 AM

Remember during preseason when people were ****ting thier pants from the lack of turnovers?

cousinal11
09-28-2009, 07:35 AM
Soundly beating a couple teams we should soundly beat.

When is the last time we did that?

barryr
09-28-2009, 08:16 AM
The coverage units of the special teams have been a huge ungrade too. Shanahan didn't take special teams serious enough and it seemed at least once a game, either allowed a long punt or kickoff return that put the defense, which wasn't usually very good, in a bad spot. They have gone 3 games without doing that, which I can't remember the last time that happened.

GeniusatWork
09-28-2009, 08:33 AM

Them big fellas in the middle have been looking good. You could see it in preseason too, so it's not a fluke. The only way teams seem to make good gains is the medium level passes right between the hashes. And they can't do that all day. This D doesn't seem to let the O dictate what they want to do. They don't overeact to a play that works and let the O get them somewhere else. Veteran D players, good leadership, don't get antsy. And they are quick. Good tacklers, but they did get a litttle sloppy yesterday. I bet Nolan was mad at the DL guy that tried to pick that fumble up when Davis stripped the ball instead of falling on it.

GeniusatWork
09-28-2009, 08:46 AM
Soundly beating a couple teams we should soundly beat.

When is the last time we did that?

It hasn't been the last 3 years. Not two in a row anyhow. I don't think there has been sound beatings like the last two for possibly 8 or 9 years, but I don't have such a long memory past that. And I don't think a lot of people thought Denver would make those kind of dominations, they thought it would be a lot closer.

Going back to the stats, this isn't like 2006. Denver was lining 9 players at the LOS and that isn't the way this D has played.

Crushisback
09-28-2009, 09:50 AM
Davis is really looking good. i didn't think he would look anywhere near as good as he does. i assumed he would be a 1 or 2 year stop gap guy and Fields would handle the Nose for a few games and then a rotation of him, Baker, and Thomas would begin to form.

basically every FA signing we had this offseason has performed incredibly, and is a lot better than i would have ever thought they would have been.

Agreed. Obviously Nolan liked somthing about Fields in SF.

Old Dude
09-28-2009, 10:16 AM

I'm not a hater, but I've said all along that I'm waiting until we get past week four to make up my mind about any of this.

Cleveland does, in fact, suck.

Oakland looked terrible last week, despite the fact that they somehow beat the Chiefs.

Yes, Cincinnati went on to beat the Packers and Steelers in weeks 2 and 3, but they were not sharp in week one and Palmer had at least six of his passes dropped (three by Coles, IIRC)

The Cowboys should supply a lot more realistic measure of this defense and the team as a whole. If the Broncos can make a game of that one, then I'll jump on the bandwagon. Until then, all I can say is so far, so good.

Rock Chalk
09-28-2009, 11:11 AM
I'm not a hater, but I've said all along that I'm waiting until we get past week four to make up my mind about any of this.

Cleveland does, in fact, suck.

Oakland looked terrible last week, despite the fact that they somehow beat the Chiefs.

Yes, Cincinnati went on to beat the Packers and Steelers in weeks 2 and 3, but they were not sharp in week one and Palmer had at least six of his passes dropped (three by Coles, IIRC)

The Cowboys should supply a lot more realistic measure of this defense and the team as a whole. If the Broncos can make a game of that one, then I'll jump on the bandwagon. Until then, all I can say is so far, so good.

So you are saying Cincy improved but Denver is the same team that played Cincy in week 1?

People will say Cincy knocked the rust off. Never mind that it was Denver's first game together under new coach, scheme, personnel, QB. Never mind that Denver also had 6 passes dropped. Denver has, to me, improved more over the past 2 weeks than Cincinnati has.

WolfpackGuy
09-28-2009, 11:24 AM
Missed tackles are down significantly.
The first or second guy to the ballcarrier is getting him down.

Old Dude
09-28-2009, 11:33 AM
So you are saying Cincy improved but Denver is the same team that played Cincy in week 1?

People will say Cincy knocked the rust off. Never mind that it was Denver's first game together under new coach, scheme, personnel, QB. Never mind that Denver also had 6 passes dropped. Denver has, to me, improved more over the past 2 weeks than Cincinnati has.

I'm talking about the defense.

Defenses are usually ahead of offenses at the start of the season. Carson Palmer missed most of the preseason due to an ankle injury (much like Sims) and he'd also missed most of the year before. They'd also juggled around their offensive line and had some serious injuries atthe TE spot - which wasn't great to start with.

Can we say the same things about Denver? Of course we can. Orton was playing with an injured hand, Marshall was still out of synch, Kuper was out, Moreno had received very few reps, yada, yada, yada.

There's no doubt in my mind that both offenses have improved since game one.

But my point still stands - which is that Denver's defense hasn't yet been seriously tested.

And I am pretty sure the Cowboys will do that.

Cito Pelon
09-28-2009, 12:17 PM
I'm talking about the defense.

Defenses are usually ahead of offenses at the start of the season. Carson Palmer missed most of the preseason due to an ankle injury (much like Sims) and he'd also missed most of the year before. They'd also juggled around their offensive line and had some serious injuries atthe TE spot - which wasn't great to start with.

Can we say the same things about Denver? Of course we can. Orton was playing with an injured hand, Marshall was still out of synch, Kuper was out, Moreno had received very few reps, yada, yada, yada.

There's no doubt in my mind that both offenses have improved since game one.

But my point still stands - which is that Denver's defense hasn't yet been seriously tested.

And I am pretty sure the Cowboys will do that.

I don't think the skepticism about the D is warranted. Dallas will be the best O faced so far, but I think the D can handle them to the tune of 13 points at Mile High. Barber is out/limited, so that's a big plus.

Look at Rock's stats he posted - big plays have been limited and that's what they'll do against Dallas. They'll limit the big plays.

The last few games weren't an aberration. The D looked solid in preseason also. They aren't getting walled off the ball-carrier, in fact the ballcarrier has been getting swarmed all through preseason and in the first three games. The LB's are free to roam wherever they want, and are doing a good job not overpursuing, just shooting gaps or laying back reading the play, attacking and making sure tackles.

Very impressive so far, even against some weak O's. Total, complete domination. That will transfer because they have good leadership.

Broncos4tw
09-28-2009, 12:23 PM
The reason they are doing well is solely due to the turnover ratio. That is the entire change in a nutshell.

This year already: +6 in TO
Last year: -17 in TO