PDA

View Full Version : Eddie Royal

TheReverend
09-27-2009, 05:18 PM
W... T... F...?

Through the soft spot of our schedule and he's on pace for under 300 yards for the season...?

http://4gifs.com/gallery/d/124155-1/WTFmanSloth.jpg

atomicbloke
09-27-2009, 05:19 PM
Sophomore slump...

Popcorn Sutton
09-27-2009, 05:20 PM
They're keeping him under wraps. Next week he explodes!!! :-)

iDENVER
They're keeping him under wraps. Next week he explodes!!! :-)

hope he's right

listopencil
He looks covered a lot, the guys just isn't getting a lot of separation. Maybe D's are keying on him w/o Marshall in there?

OBF1
09-27-2009, 05:21 PM
I blame the poor defensive performance

Killericon
09-27-2009, 05:23 PM
Well, our running game is the primary portion of our offense, and we're spreading the ball around much more this year. I don't think it's under-performance on his part.

ZONA
09-27-2009, 05:23 PM
It looked like to me the Raiders were more concerned about the pass then the run. So if the WR's are covered and end up with fewer catches but the runners are chewing the defense up, I'm cool with that.

mizzoutigers
09-27-2009, 05:24 PM
he's fine, who cares, we're 3-0. this isn't a flashy offense and the numbers won't be what they were last year. take the record and settle

bronco militia
09-27-2009, 05:27 PM
blame kyle orton...he sucks

SJ Bronco
09-27-2009, 05:27 PM
We aren't passing much to wide outs. We seem to be having some trouble with that, and you could see that in one series, a few of the wide outs looked disgusted by it. We are a running, ball control team this year fellas. If the receivers can't block, the may not being doing much of anything. I'm having trouble with the transition too, but we need to accept that beating teams 21-3 will be our M.O. but we are winning.

elsid13
09-27-2009, 05:31 PM
The problem is that he playing the outside #2 WR in this offense not the Slot Receiver position like Welker did. He has become Gaffeny of the NE patriots and his production will be similar.

KevinJames
09-27-2009, 05:33 PM
aso was on him most of the day and he is seeing a lot of double coverage, he will be fine its week 3.

you have to nit pick something? seriously?

Houshyamama
09-27-2009, 05:34 PM
I think it's just going to take him a while to adjust to the system. He doesn't have Marshall's brute physicality to overcome his lack of system knowledge. I'd say just have patience, we know he can play.

DenverBrit
09-27-2009, 05:35 PM
Have you noticed Gaffney?

snowspot66
09-27-2009, 05:36 PM
If there is a favorable matchup they'll get the ball to him. But there wasn't one today. The Raiders do have some very solid players on D and two of them are the CB's.

Doggcow
09-27-2009, 05:36 PM

SHHHH ONLY SHANNY GUYS CAN BE TALKED ABOUT WITH REV! Everything McD has done with this team, particularly our defense, is ****!

Baba Booey
09-27-2009, 05:37 PM
W... T... F...?

Through the soft spot of our schedule and he's on pace for under 300 yards for the season...?

You win the internetz that picture.:spit:ROFL!

SJ Bronco
09-27-2009, 05:38 PM

Good point, that dude came up pretty big today

ZONA
09-27-2009, 05:42 PM
If there is a favorable matchup they'll get the ball to him. But there wasn't one today. The Raiders do have some very solid players on D and two of them are the CB's.

Yeah, a good coach is going to find the weakness in the team he is playing and for the Raiders, that was the run defense. Why would McD try and pass to the WR's all day long when the Raiders have very good CB's when he could just gash those average LB's all day long in the run game.

I'm sure if there is a team that is great against the run but gives up alot of yards passing, we might see a gameplan that calls for more passes.

RhymesayersDU
09-27-2009, 06:07 PM
Royal has barely caught 5 balls, yet according to this board, it's Marshall that you can't trust.

Pure comedy gold, this message board.

TheReverend
09-27-2009, 06:13 PM
aso was on him most of the day and he is seeing a lot of double coverage, he will be fine its week 3.

you have to nit pick something? seriously?

uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.... ?

jsco70
09-27-2009, 06:38 PM
this isn't a flashy offense and the numbers won't be what they were last year. take the record and settle

My take exactly.

BlaK-Argentina
09-27-2009, 06:42 PM

Wow you're not very bright are you??

On this topic, who cares? As long as he comes through when we need him (I'm talking about specific plays) he's doing fine. Just like the rest of the team. I'm so glad this team doesn't need any "superstars" like Cutler or last year's Marshall making crazy throws and catches. We're playing team ball and I love it. Our best player will be a different one every week.

Broncoman13
09-27-2009, 06:47 PM
I think Eddie Royal is struggling to understand his assignments. He is playing the 2nd receiver role as well which doesn't seem to do too well in McD's scheme. I thought today with Stokes being out he would be featured as the slot man... Gaffney got that role and did well so I won't complain. Sure would like to see Eddie turn it on though. Very surprised he isn't doing better???

jayman_37
09-27-2009, 06:52 PM
Denver just doesn't pass like they used to. You won't see the stats that they throw up in New England with this team. Sometimes I feel like McDaniels doesn't trust his offense yet. This could be because the team is new to the system and still learning, but if they get in anything 3rd and long it seems they try and just run short routes and hope to get yac. This actually has worked great and I am not complaining, but this is just what I see.

Drek
09-27-2009, 06:56 PM
Marshall got his chance to go off today, 5 catches, 67 yards, and a TD on a day when we where running at will. Eddie will get his chance too. But we aren't going to just force it to him, especially when Asomougha is on him.

Give him a little while to learn the system better and he'll probably start taking reps in the slot with Stokley, splitting time at the #2 outside with Gaffney, and start having some big games moving around.

Punisher
09-27-2009, 07:00 PM
The team is playing good football and the biggest stat person in our TEAM is Clady.

tsiguy96
09-27-2009, 07:05 PM
Marshall got his chance to go off today, 5 catches, 67 yards, and a TD on a day when we where running at will. Eddie will get his chance too. But we aren't going to just force it to him, especially when Asomougha is on him.

Give him a little while to learn the system better and he'll probably start taking reps in the slot with Stokley, splitting time at the #2 outside with Gaffney, and start having some big games moving around.

yep. we arent gonna throw 600 times and the ball is gonna go to a lot more guys than marshall and royal. gaffney is playing great right now.

Quoydogs
09-27-2009, 07:10 PM
yep. we arent gonna throw 600 times and the ball is gonna go to a lot more guys than marshall and royal. gaffney is playing great right now.

I will say I had my doubts about Gaffnet when we signed him but he has looked great. Eddie has seemed a little off this year, don't know if it is a sophomore slump or he is having a hard time learning the new system. It almost seems like his confidence is down. :thanku: I will say this, if he keeps Nnaudi (sp) busy then he did a great job today.

kamakazi_kal
09-27-2009, 07:12 PM
none of our wideouts will have stat lines like your used to seeing.

Dutch
09-27-2009, 07:29 PM
What's the matter Rev? Screwing with your Fantasy Football team? F Fantasy Football, I'll take the TEAM concept for my Broncs thanks. 3-0, get it?

Garcia Bronco
09-27-2009, 07:31 PM
Eddie will get his. Give it time.

tsiguy96
09-27-2009, 07:32 PM
I will say I had my doubts about Gaffnet when we signed him but he has looked great. Eddie has seemed a little off this year, don't know if it is a sophomore slump or he is having a hard time learning the new system. It almost seems like his confidence is down. :thanku: I will say this, if he keeps Nnaudi (sp) busy then he did a great job today.

i just think its silly that we NEED to get the ball to certain WR because they are better...if tehy were better they would get open and get the ball thrown to them! marshall is getting a lot of balls thrown his way, maybe by the end of the year we will have a better grasp on who is doing good this year.

TheReverend
09-27-2009, 08:51 PM
What's the matter Rev? Screwing with your Fantasy Football team? F Fantasy Football, I'll take the TEAM concept for my Broncs thanks. 3-0, get it?

No...

I'm just talking about how it seemed he would be a featured player in this offense and through 3 games he has less than 50 yards.

Loving the running game though.

cutthemdown
09-27-2009, 08:55 PM
It's pretty obvious Royal struggling. It can be tough for a young WR to have to switch offenses his sophomore yr. What's strange though is he looked great in preseason.

I bet he has a big game soon.

Br0nc0Buster
09-27-2009, 09:12 PM
I think Royal is still adjusting

Josh likes Eddie a lot, and he knows how dangerous he is

Wes Welker said it took him a year until he was comfortable in Joshs offense, so I will wait for Eddie to get comfortable while Gaffney and Stokely pick up the load

Gaffney is finding lots of holes in the defenses, when Eddie gets up to speed I see no reason why he cant as well

Man-Goblin
09-27-2009, 09:17 PM
God, this 3-0 record sucks. If only the Broncos were 1-2 and Royal had more yards. DAMNIT!

lex
09-27-2009, 09:19 PM
The running game has been looking a lot better.

jutang
09-27-2009, 09:21 PM
I thought Royal had Asomougha covering him most of the game?? Really wouldn't expect much from Royal especially with all the other options Denver had in the game.

WABronco
09-27-2009, 09:22 PM
God, this 3-0 record sucks. If only the Broncos were 1-2 and Royal had more yards. DAMNIT!

Don't worry it will come around. If we lose the next 3 and Royal catches 8 each game I'll be happy. GO COACH MCD YOU'RE SO AWESOME NOW OMGGAZZFHG.

Rock Chalk
09-27-2009, 09:23 PM
We aren't passing much to wide outs. We seem to be having some trouble with that, and you could see that in one series, a few of the wide outs looked disgusted by it. We are a running, ball control team this year fellas. If the receivers can't block, the may not being doing much of anything. I'm having trouble with the transition too, but we need to accept that beating teams 21-3 will be our M.O. but we are winning.

WTF is wrong with beating teams 21-3? Id rather beat them 21-3 than 38-35.

WABronco
09-27-2009, 09:28 PM
WTF is wrong with beating teams 21-3? Id rather beat them 21-3 than 38-35.

Hell yes. I thoroughly enjoyed watching Knowshon and Buck ram it down their throats for 3 quarters.

BroncoMan4ever
09-27-2009, 10:36 PM
Eddie is being locked onto by defenses as our number 1. Nmamdi was on him today. Marshall isn't being looked at as our number 1 receiver right now. give Marshall another week or 2 of gouging LBs and nickel Corners and the defensive schemes will change and Royal will return to last seasons form.

plus with him being blanketed on practically every pass play, he isn't going to get the ball because Orton is not going to force the ball to him. as much as i would like to see Eddie have a huge game, i don't want to see Orton forcing passes just to get him more involved.

no worries everyone, Eddie will show up in the next few weeks.

Popps
09-27-2009, 10:40 PM
Eddie will break out. He's too talented. He's come close on a few plays already.

We're 3-0. My guess is that Eddie is the type of guy that would trade stats for that any day.

That said, sit tight. He's a perfect fit for this offense and he'll come around.

UberBroncoMan
09-28-2009, 01:51 AM
I think Royal is still adjusting

Josh likes Eddie a lot, and he knows how dangerous he is

Wes Welker said it took him a year until he was comfortable in Joshs offense, so I will wait for Eddie to get comfortable while Gaffney and Stokely pick up the load

Gaffney is finding lots of holes in the defenses, when Eddie gets up to speed I see no reason why he cant as well

Wes Welker also had 112 catches and 1,175 yards with 8 touchdowns in his first year with the Pats.

It beats me why we aren't utilizing our WR's.

Even though Orton is playing relatively smart and mistake free football, it may be his own limitations that are preventing this. Both Moss and Welker were superb in their first year/onward with the Pats... hell, in Moss's first year he broke Jerry Rice's season TD record and had almost 1,500 yards to go with 98 receptions.

Royal should be our Welker and Marshall should be our Moss with Gaff in on 3 receiver sets and Stokely in on 4+.

We have a receiving core that's as good and imo now better than New England's. The only reason that after all this time, things aren't clicking is the QB and I guess... gelling? Hopefully things heat up as the season goes on.

rastaman
09-28-2009, 04:12 AM
Wes Welker also had 112 catches and 1,175 yards with 8 touchdowns in his first year with the Pats.

Even though Orton is playing relatively smart and mistake free football, it may be his own limitations that are preventing this. Both Moss and Welker were superb in their first year/onward with the Pats... hell, in Moss's first year he broke Jerry Rice's season TD record and had almost 1,500 yards to go with 98 receptions.

Royal should be our Welker and Marshall should be our Moss with Gaff in on 3 receiver sets and Stokely in on 4+.

We have a receiving core that's as good and imo now better than New England's. The only reason that after all this time, things aren't clicking is the QB and I guess... gelling? Hopefully things heat up as the season goes on.

Either things will heat up or the reality is, Orton just has a problem of pullilng the trigger and releasing the ball the split second the WR's become open. That window of opportunity closes quickly btwn the snap of the ball and how the WR's are running their routs.

Perhaps Eddie has been open at the 3 second point after the ball is snaped and if Orton doesn't throw the ball at the precise time....then Eddie is covered and Orton has no other choice but to throw the ball away or force the throw and risk an interception.

Orton is managing the game well and not forcing throws.....but when does the fact arise that Orton is missing opportunities b/c he's hesistant to throw the ball at the precise moment required to complete the pass? Its something that must be considered at some point. Just saying.

Drek
09-28-2009, 04:41 AM

Stokley has been playing better than every other receiver on the team and is obviously the most comfortable slot WR on the roster right now (the Welker role).

Marshall doesn't have elite deep speed, that is a key component to what the Pats do with Moss. Royal does, so Royal takes a lot of those kinds of routes.

Gaffney is most at home in this offense playing the #2 WR role out on the wing, that is where he should remain.

We can't pigeon hole guys to fit a previous template of how McDaniels ran this offense because our guys have their own skill sets that McDaniels is going to coach towards. Marshall especially is a big X factor that New England didn't have anything comparable to.

Royal is just not totally comfortable in the scheme yet and is being given #1 WR coverage because Marshall had his issues in the pre-season. The guy said he didn't know the playbook, looked unprepared in Cincy, and McDaniels had him on the bench for a good chunk of the Cleveland game. Is it any surprise teams didn't game plan for him but instead for Royal? As teams need to respect Marshall and Stokley more it'll open up for Royal. That will come as the offense starts to click for him, and he'll likely have some big games.

Our passing game is maturing week to week still. Cassel had the starting snaps in pre-season last year and out of his first 8 games (KC fill in and 7 starts) only 3 saw him put up a QB rating over 77.5. Against KC (horrible D) the Jets (team with a mindset of failure against NE) and our own '08 Denver Broncos (horrible D). It all clicked for him in the second half of the season. In his last 8 starts he only had one game with a QB rating below 84 (against the eventual SB champs), and only three games with a QB rating below 100.

That was Matt Cassel in his 4th year with the Patriots, but his first starting action. This isn't an easy offense to learn and it will take time for everyone to find their place within it. Orton needs more time to grow in it, when he does our passing game will get significantly more productive. Royal needs more time to grow in it as well, which will only help Orton grow faster and further.

We've only seen a taste of McDaniels' offense so far this season. If the D keeps up their unbelievable play (or at least something close) and the backs keep running like they have been we'll be sitting real pretty when the passing game clicks on in a few weeks.

Broncoman13
09-28-2009, 07:03 AM
It's pretty obvious Royal struggling. It can be tough for a young WR to have to switch offenses his sophomore yr. What's strange though is he looked great in preseason.

I bet he has a big game soon.

This is what is mind boggling to me. I expected after seeing him in camp and the preseason that he would be the featured receiver. And yes, it is screwing with my FF Team, but that's not really a big deal. When you run for 200 yards you don't need to throw the ball. 40 minutes TOP. Allowing only a 48 yard FG to the Faid in their house. Yeah, there isn't much to complain about.

alkemical
09-28-2009, 07:32 AM

no doubt.

Popps
09-28-2009, 08:30 AM
Nice post, Drek.

cartel
09-28-2009, 08:40 AM
it seems like he's lost some speed. i know he's put on some bulk, can it be affecting his explosion? i'm sure it's being double covered and learning a new system. i'm hoping he breaks out soon and he doesn't lose confidence.

outdoor_miner
09-28-2009, 08:43 AM
This is probably the most confusing thing to me in this new season... It doesn't even look like Eddie is getting much separation. Every time Orton throws his way, it seems as if Eddie is absolutely blanketed (that deep ball yesterday comes to mind). I don't know if he's being double teamed (which I seriously doubt) or what... It's nice that Stokley and Gaffney have been playing well in the interim, but I hope to see Eddie step it up. It's clear that McDaniels really really likes him (just based on all the comments he made from the offseason).

Crushisback
09-28-2009, 08:58 AM
Nahmdi was on him most the day yesterday due to Royal being lined up to the left. He'll get his games where he's the focal point. Obviously Marshall was a focal point yesterday.

Crushaholic
09-28-2009, 09:05 AM
I blame fantasy football for this mentality. Seriously. I truly believe that Royal is a "team" guy. He'll get his day in the sun ASAP. Yesterday, it was about Gaffney in the passing game and BuckReno in the running game (or is it MorHalter?)

gyldenlove
09-28-2009, 09:39 AM
I have noticed a number of things with Royal.

1. He is not running double moves or quick cut routes. His best asset is his quickness and the crispness of his routes, so the way he tends to get seperation is to use those moves, but he seems to be running a lot more straight routes and single cut routes than before and he is not getting open as much as a result.

2. He is playing against the top CB a lot, so naturally it is harder for him to get open.

3. All 3 teams we have faced have played a lot of man coverage on the flanker and split-end which is tricky for a smaller WR to play against unless you scheme to get him open. Royal seems to have largely been used to draw a CB away from the slot WR.

GoBroncos DownUnder
09-28-2009, 09:51 AM
Nahmdi was on him most the day yesterday due to Royal being lined up to the left. He'll get his games where he's the focal point. Obviously Marshall was a focal point yesterday.
I noticed that. I liked the tactic.
Royal is going to need to get a CB's attebtion ALL of the time, because he's dangerous: Turn your head, bite on a fake, lose your footing and he WILL burn you for a TD.
So why not line him up against their best CB (AssMuncha) and lessen his impact on defense. Nice work.;)

epicSocialism4tw
09-28-2009, 10:48 AM
W... T... F...?

Orton is throwing the ball to him.

We arent exactly producing a ton of passing yards.

azbroncfan
09-28-2009, 08:06 PM
Royal is struggling with his reads and assignments. Sophmore slump maybe but he needs to get his mental game going and the rest will take care for itself.

colonelbeef
09-28-2009, 08:45 PM
Orton is throwing the ball to him.

We arent exactly producing a ton of passing yards.

The most obvious and direct answer is usually the correct one.

Orton had 13 completions last week. Do the math.

DBroncos4life
09-28-2009, 08:50 PM

Who was covering him when he had 9 catches 146 yards and a TD in 08?

bronco militia
09-28-2009, 09:17 PM

Deangelo Hall

Cito Pelon
09-28-2009, 09:37 PM
I have noticed a number of things with Royal.

1. He is not running double moves or quick cut routes. His best asset is his quickness and the crispness of his routes, so the way he tends to get seperation is to use those moves, but he seems to be running a lot more straight routes and single cut routes than before and he is not getting open as much as a result.

2. He is playing against the top CB a lot, so naturally it is harder for him to get open.

3. All 3 teams we have faced have played a lot of man coverage on the flanker and split-end which is tricky for a smaller WR to play against unless you scheme to get him open. Royal seems to have largely been used to draw a CB away from the slot WR.

Agreed and agreed.

The opposing D is gonna try to take him out as one of their top priorities. Especially at Oakland. The last time Royal was there he torched them for 2 TD's and 147 yds. Al Davis won't stand for that twice.

If I was scheming against the Broncos, I'd focus on Royal. He's the only deep threat, unless they take a chance on McKinley. Marshall is a superb possession receiver, the chain mover along with the TE's. But I''d make sure I shut Royal down, then try to contain the rest.

BroncoBuff
09-28-2009, 09:50 PM
Marshall got his chance to go off today, 5 catches, 67 yards, and a TD on a day when we where running at will.

Good point .... you gotta hand it to Josh, he's really handled the Marshall situation well. Brandon has turned the corner - or so it seems - and Josh has to be given some credit for that.

BroncoMan4ever
09-28-2009, 10:44 PM

we can't compare with NE. completely different abilities between the receivers they have and who we have. they have Moss and Welker. Moss whole game is go deep and get the ball, Welker is used more like Stokley is used as the slot guy. they have 2 receivers and their roles are set in stone. home run threat and short yardage guy. here in Denver, Royal is more comparable to Moss in terms of speed, but has hands like Welker and would excel in either role, but unlike Welker in NE and only sharing the ball with 1 other guy, Eddie, has possession receivers in Marshall and Gaffney who are performing well, Stokley is playing great right now, and with more receivers around even if Royal was playing the exact style of play as Welker, he wouldn't come anywhere near the receiving totals simply because there are just too many options available for him to get that many looks.

also, right now, Eddie is being defended as our number 1 receiver. he is the one drawing the coverage of the defenses best DB, or fighting double coverage. give Marshall another week or 2 to show he is back in last seasons form and things will open up for Eddie and he will break out again.

also, figure we throw the ball 500 times this year(and that is higher than i think we will) Orton has 4 legit threats at WR who can catch the ball, 2 TEs who have good hands, 3 backs who can all catch, he has as many as 9 legit receiving threats every week. if the ball is spread evenly, each player can only expect to receive maybe 55 attempts every year. unlike in NE, where they have Moss and Welker and the majority of those passes go to those 2 guys.

BroncoMan4ever
09-28-2009, 10:47 PM

the guy covering him got released midseason last year.....Deangelo Hall.