PDA

View Full Version : Orton has played a near flawless 1st half

fontaine
09-27-2009, 02:23 PM
Yes, he has. And this is coming from a guy who thought Orton was just a one year band aid.

He looks a totally different QB than the season opener. His passes have good zip, when guys are open he's nailing them on the numbers and when they're not he'll wait, buy time, and throw it away.

Considering Oakland has one shutdown corner in Asomoghue and a pretty decent secondary, McDaniels has Orton playing better than Cassell last year.

Those two good passes to Gaffney really showed how well both HC and QB are functioning. They sent Marshall deep up the middle I think which left Gaffney open underneath the middle. Great stuff.

v2micca
09-27-2009, 02:29 PM
Yes, has played mistake free football. And this coming from a guy who still thinks Orton is a one year band aid.

The Raiders keep giving us the middle of the Field and Orton will take that all day long.

The Joker
He's done well, looks quite efficient.

Said it before, if we're gonna be competitive we need to do it with the running game. If we establish a strong running game, Orton will be a more than capable QB in this offense.

But if we ask him to throw it 2/3rds of the time then he'll struggle.

Give it to the backs and play defense, and we'll win plenty more games this year.

bronco militia
mistake free, but he still sucks.

Bronx33
09-27-2009, 02:31 PM
He seems to be more comfortable for sure but his still making poor reads but the play calling has been suspect so take it for what it's worth.

Wes Mantooth
09-27-2009, 02:32 PM
I am liking this squad more and more.

Kid A
09-27-2009, 02:33 PM

I'd agree a QB can be mistake free and still not be a "great" QB, but I think it's hard to say a mistake free performance "sucks." In a game that hinges so much on turnovers, simply holding on to the ball can be half the battle.

Add in effective, albeit not extraordinary, managing of the offense, and I'm not sure how you can say he's a bad QB.

Baba Booey
09-27-2009, 02:34 PM
Take care of that football

Rock Chalk
09-27-2009, 02:37 PM

We talked about the douchebaggery on every thread remember? Buck up boy, we held Jokeland to 98 total yards of offense and if not for some poor red zone running we would be up like 24-3 at least.

Bronx33
09-27-2009, 02:39 PM
We talked about the douchebaggery on every thread remember? Buck up boy, we held Jokeland to 98 total yards of offense and if not for some poor red zone running we would be up like 24-3 at least.

I see my new word has caught on ;D

Rock Chalk
09-27-2009, 02:40 PM
Your new word? Ive been saying that since before you became a member here.

bronco militia
09-27-2009, 02:50 PM

buck up boy? **** you dad

LOL

orton sucks

go broncos

fontaine
09-27-2009, 02:55 PM
orton sucks

go broncos

What would you have him do? From what I can see he's executing the plays that were called, he can't do any more than that.

Right now Orton is making the short passes and intermediate throws, without making any mistakes like turning over the ball. Any HC in the league will take that with a lot of joy.

He's already playing better than Plummer IMHO. He's making passes from the pocket consistently and that's something Plummer could never do.

Not just that, but he's improving every game. 8')

strafen
09-27-2009, 03:06 PM
Just as long as Orton keeps doing nothing, we will be alright...
We don't want him to get too cute and lose the game for us
Keep pounding the ball with the backs, and Orton to keep throwing his 4-yard lasers

bronco militia
09-27-2009, 03:20 PM
Keep pounding the ball with the backs, and Orton to keep throwing his 4-yard lasers

that's my point about orton.....

he's playing smart football, but over all I think he sucks

fontaine
09-27-2009, 03:44 PM

No doubt, the rushing game has done all the heavy lifting, but Orton has played a big part of it. All I'm saying is that when Orton's number has been called to make passes he's done that. The WRs definitely need to do a better job getting open though.

Wes Mantooth
09-27-2009, 03:46 PM
I want to see this team open it up after that glove comes off. He hasn't adjusted to it.

Clockwork Orange
09-27-2009, 03:51 PM
Orton's numbers are irrelevant when the Broncos run the ball effectively as they have today. He needs only to not turn the ball over, which he did just fine at today. The plays I was actually most happy about from him were a couple of plays in which nothing was there and he just threw it away.

strafen
09-27-2009, 04:16 PM

he's playing smart football, but over all I think he sucksThe guy is just mediocre at best
You've gotta give McDaniels all the credit for not putting him in a position to screw the game up for us...
He rather see Orton throw the ball away than short-hop the ball 25+ yards downfield to an open reciever and run the risk of having the ball intercepted

Still, I hope that doesn't come back to bite us this season...

Popcorn Sutton
09-27-2009, 04:16 PM

he's playing smart football, but over all I think he sucks

Solid analysis.

KS Bronco
09-27-2009, 05:06 PM
orton is second in the league in passes > 25 yds, nuff said. fucc all you haters, GO BRONCOS!

mhgaffney
09-27-2009, 05:40 PM
Orton has a great Offensive line, talented receivers, terrific tight ends and solid running backs (including a budding rookie - Moreno -- who is going to be a star).

With so much offensive talent around him -- he better look good.

Broncos4tw
09-27-2009, 05:48 PM
Haters? whatever....

He is average, nothing special, when the chips are down, and he has to pull the team out, will he? We'll see. He is still missing easy passes longer than 15 yards. And all those 25+ yard plays predominantly were yac... so nice try, trying to make him look like Manning.

He doesn't screw up much, so that's nice. Unfortunately he doesn't make amazing things happen, either. We are hardly lighting up the scoreboard. I still can't tell if our anemic playcalls on offense are due to our new offensive playcallers (I find that hard to believe, with their pedigree), or because of the limitations of the QB.

I don't hate Orton. I however, accept him for what he is. An average QB who plays it safe. Come playoffs and beyond, that's where we will feel this the most.

Doggcow
09-27-2009, 05:50 PM
Every game Orton goes without a Turnover, I guarantee we win.

baja
09-27-2009, 05:53 PM
I'd agree a QB can be mistake free and still not be a "great" QB, but I think it's hard to say a mistake free performance "sucks." In a game that hinges so much on turnovers, simply holding on to the ball can be half the battle.

Add in effective, albeit not extraordinary, managing of the offense, and I'm not sure how you can say he's a bad QB.

Make no mistake this offense is a work in process and we are proceeding by leaps and bounds every week, can't you see that?

baja
09-27-2009, 05:56 PM
What would you have him do? From what I can see he's executing the plays that were called, he can't do any more than that.

Right now Orton is making the short passes and intermediate throws, without making any mistakes like turning over the ball. Any HC in the league will take that with a lot of joy.

He's already playing better than Plummer IMHO. He's making passes from the pocket consistently and that's something Plummer could never do.

<b>Not just that, but he's improving every game. 8')

This is the big story than so many seem to be missing.

chex
09-27-2009, 05:58 PM
Orton has a great Offensive line, talented receivers, terrific tight ends and solid running backs (including a budding rookie - Moreno -- who is going to be a star).

With so much offensive talent around him -- he better look good.

Well, we have the same offensive line, talented receivers and terrific tight ends as last year. So if you're trying to say that Orton has so much talent around him that it's easy for him to look good, then the same can be said about last year's QB.

fontaine
10-13-2009, 12:41 PM
This is the big story than so many seem to be missing.

This is a great point.

Orton showed me four things last Sunday for the first time:

1. He has a much better arm than average. Almost all of this passes were tight, spirals with plenty of zip. Those sideline timing passes are a big test of arm strength and Orton made a ton of those.

2. He's fast learning the system. To install a new complex set of passing options with the "Wild Horses" formation shows that the guy really is making a lot of strides in understanding the playbook at a very good pace.

3. Clutch under pressure. Those 2nd half drives, 95, 98, and overtime drives showed me he played with the right mentality.

4. He was solid against a very good defense. That Pats went 4-3 exclusive and threw in plenty of blitzes and changed up the secondary quite a bit (ie double covering Gaff) to where they expected the pass to go. Orton pretty much shredded them.

It was a great all around effort by the team and staff, but it was Orton who executed those plays and made it happen without the benefit of a solid running game for large stretches.

baja
10-13-2009, 12:54 PM
This is a great point.

Orton showed me four things last Sunday for the first time:

1. He has a much better arm than average. Almost all of this passes were tight, spirals with plenty of zip. Those sideline timing passes are a big test of arm strength and Orton made a ton of those.

2. He's fast learning the system. To install a new complex set of passing options with the "Wild Horses" formation shows that the guy really is making a lot of strides in understanding the playbook at a very good pace.

<b>3. Clutch under pressure. Those 2nd half drives, 95, 98, and overtime drives showed me he played with the right mentality.</b>

4. He was solid against a very good defense. That Pats went 4-3 exclusive and threw in plenty of blitzes and changed up the secondary quite a bit (ie double covering Gaff) to where they expected the pass to go. Orton pretty much shredded them.

It was a great all around effort by the team and staff, but it was Orton who executed those plays and made it happen without the benefit of a solid running game for large stretches.

Funny thing is there 3 or 4 "I told you so" threads going on and not one thread devoted to orton and the fact he put together not one but two come from behind 4th quarter 90 + yard drives to win in over time, hell one of them was a memory jarring 98 yards.

People still don't see what we got in Orton. This trade will soon be remembered in the same league as the Hershall Walker trade.

Rigs11
10-13-2009, 01:46 PM
Yep and the biggest thing.No turnovers.except the hail mary.

fontaine
10-13-2009, 02:45 PM
Funny thing is there 3 or 4 "I told you so" threads going on and not one thread devoted to orton and the fact he put together not one but two come from behind 4th quarter 90 + yard drives to win in over time, hell one of them was a memory jarring 98 yards.

Yeah, there's a lot of trash you have to sift through here before you can find a real football thread.

People still don't see what we got in Orton. This trade will soon be remembered in the same league as the Hershall Walker trade.

I honestly didn't expect the improvement from Orton to come this early. I was expecting it sometime around late November. But I can see now how badly that glove and injury affected his zip and quick release.

I really didn't expect him to have that kind of zip but more importantly the quick release, and he's really improved as a pocket passer also. Ofcourse all of this is dependant on the OL continuing to pass block like studs and the WRs doing a good job of getting seperation.

He's already miles ahead of where he should be given that he's faced a couple of tough defenses and having to learn a new playbook.

I also liked the way he distributed the ball to so many receivers and used the quick passes to great affect, essentially making up for the inconsistent running game.

Like McDaniels said, he made almost every presnap read correctly and that will put your passing offense at an advantage every time.

baja
10-13-2009, 02:51 PM
Yeah, there's a lot of trash you have to sift through here before you can find a real football thread.

I honestly didn't expect the improvement from Orton to come this early. I was expecting it sometime around late November. But I can see now how badly that glove and injury affected his zip and quick release.

I really didn't expect him to have that kind of zip but more importantly the quick release, and he's really improved as a pocket passer also. Ofcourse all of this is dependant on the OL continuing to pass block like studs and the WRs doing a good job of getting seperation.

He's already miles ahead of where he should be given that he's faced a couple of tough defenses and having to learn a new playbook.

I also liked the way he distributed the ball to so many receivers and used the quick passes to great affect, essentially making up for the inconsistent running game.

Like McDaniels said, he made almost every presnap read correctly and that will put your passing offense at an advantage every time.

Ya I got more than a little flack for my "Glove or no glove " poll as not serious enough football tlak. ;D

R8R H8R
10-13-2009, 03:06 PM

I think for that to happen realistically, Ayers, Alphonzo Smith, & next year's pick, need to become stars; and probably we would need to win the SB within the next 3 or 4 years with Orton.

Could happen, you never know.

mhgaffney
10-13-2009, 03:19 PM
I was a critic of Orton because of his inability to improvise under pressure -- a quality we have learned to prize in our Denver QBs. We love scramblers.

But in the last few weeks Orton has earned my respect. He has shown he has other important strengths. It isn't only the absence of turnovers.

He plays within himself -- and does not get flustered. He'll take the sack -- then come back and make a big play on the next down.

He has also been consistent -- something we did not see in Cutler.

I saw part of a Chargers game coupla weeks back -- when Rivers lost his coool big time. Under a small amount of pressure -- Rivers choked -- threw a lob of a pass like something a grandmother might do -- I have yet to see Orton do anything similar. I'd have to rate him over Rivers at this point.

I am learning to appreciate Orton's abilities.

MHG

Br0nc0Buster
10-13-2009, 04:11 PM
Im glad Orton is getting some much earned recognition

Dude took so much crap because of the bitterness of those upset over the Cutler fiasco

He played very well on Sunday, if he can keep improving along with the rest of the offense he may not be just a stopgap for us

azbroncfan
10-13-2009, 05:01 PM

Maybe but he just played a better game than Cutler has ever had in his career in a meaningful game against a good team down 10 pts.

TonyR
10-13-2009, 05:06 PM
Funny thing is there 3 or 4 "I told you so" threads going on...

Wow, who knew one would come from such recent material. "Bronco Militia" is so bad in this thread I'm almost embarassed for the guy.

Bronx33
10-13-2009, 05:07 PM
I still don't trust him fully.

rastaman
10-13-2009, 05:09 PM
Well, we have the same offensive line, talented receivers and terrific tight ends as last year. So if you're trying to say that Orton has so much talent around him that it's easy for him to look good, then the same can be said about last year's QB.

Systems make QB's. Who's to say the 4 games Cutler has won as a Bears QB that Orton could have won those same 4 games. And who's to say for certain that Cutler couldn't have had the Broncos 5-0 at this time as well.

Both Qb's are playing great ball for their teams. And who knows with all the parity in the NFL today.......could the Bears and the Broncos face it other in this years SB?? Never say never. No one would have predicted the Arizona Cardinals would have appeared in last years SB.

BMarsh615
10-13-2009, 05:50 PM
I don't think Orton threw one pass away against the Patriots. He was very decisive in that game.