PDA

View Full Version : PFT : Stokley's injury could open up time for Marshall

Bronco Rob
09-26-2009, 03:30 PM
To Brandon Marshall's credit, the Broncos wide receiver handled his lack of snaps in last Sunday's game exactly as the team brass would hope.

Marshall got plenty of playing time against Cleveland, but there were many key moments of the game, especially in the second quarter, when he watched from the sideline. Jabar Gaffney and Brandon Stokley are preferred options for Josh McDaniels in some offensive sets.

Marshall's most telling comment this week: "I've learned from trying to fight the system."

Time will tell if he's right, but Marshall has at least learned the right way to get back on the field this season and in McDaniels' good graces. On Sunday, he may get a chance to prove he belongs on the field every snap.

Brandon Stokley is questionable for Denver's game in Oakland, and missed practice Friday with a thigh injury. As the Denver Post points out, Stokley's injury should help Marshall get more playing time.

And the change might be just in time for Denver.

The team is 2-0, but the passing game is still in its embryonic stages with Kyle Orton and the Oakland cornerbacks are a team strength. There's a reason Marshall has gained 2,590 receiving yards over the last two years, easily more than Gaffney and Stokley combined: He's a dominant football player.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/category/rumor-mill/

:afro:

bowtown
09-26-2009, 03:50 PM
I'd prefer he be dominant while also recognizing blitzes.

NYBronco
09-26-2009, 03:58 PM
Good news Marshall may see more play time... I guess we will soon see

ScottXray
09-26-2009, 04:05 PM
I don't care WHO plays as long as they step up to take Stokes catches.

This is a blow, if we don't get the slot receiver involved in the game plan.

Marshall, Gaffney and Royal ?

lookin' glass
09-26-2009, 04:30 PM
I wonder 'what' he has learned from 'trying to fight' the system.

Hogan11
09-26-2009, 04:35 PM
It's his golden oppertunity to show he's fully back......hope he shows up.

extralife
09-26-2009, 04:40 PM
not having marshall on the field is a detriment to this team. benching him shows mcd can be just as childish as marshall.

Popps
09-26-2009, 04:59 PM
Damn. We need Stokes out there. He's so friggin' clutch.

Marshall is a dumb-f#ck. Imagine counting on that idiot on 3rd down, at this stage.

Ironlung
09-26-2009, 05:04 PM
not having marshall on the field is a detriment to this team. benching him shows mcd can be just as childish as marshall.

okay... so its McD being childish and has nothing to do with BM not knowing the playbook and half assin it on the field... gotcha.:thumbsup:

backup qb
09-26-2009, 05:13 PM
Everyone here knows we need him on the field regardless of his BS.

Jason in LA
09-26-2009, 05:13 PM
Here's his chance. If he plays up to his potential it will greatly help the passing attack.

gyldenlove
09-26-2009, 05:55 PM
I so hope they stick Royal in the slot if Stokley is out, the kind of separation he could get there would be crazy, he would be a highlight reel play waiting to happen.

Pseudofool
09-26-2009, 06:14 PM
I still think both Royal and Marshall will end up dominating quite a few games this year. They might not show much of either until they play stronger opponents.

Hogan11
09-26-2009, 06:15 PM

Regardless of his BS? You can't be serious, why have him out there if he's going to be a liability (drop passes, miss blocks, get holding calls, run wrong routes, etc.)? For a diversion?

Sassy
09-26-2009, 06:16 PM

:spit:

PRBronco
09-26-2009, 06:18 PM

http://www.somethingforsaya.com/facepalm.jpg

He wasn't benched...

ludo21
09-26-2009, 07:34 PM
The team is better when Marshall is on the field. I hope he can get open this week against a tough secondary.

listopencil
09-26-2009, 10:10 PM
Bull**** about him needing to be on the field. He obviously hasn't been our best WR. I'd say Stokely has had the most impact.

listopencil
09-26-2009, 10:10 PM
The team is better when Marshall is on the field. I hope he can get open this week against a tough secondary.

Only if he plays to his potential.

Los Broncos
09-26-2009, 10:44 PM
Without Stokley there goes our third down conversions.

SportinOne
09-26-2009, 10:46 PM
If Marshall could get it together, I'd like to see us get another really solid WR as soon as Stokely calls it quits. Royal is a natural slot guy, anyway.

I predict that, at least one time, Marshall will watch from the side as our long snapper is playing wideout and catching bubble screens.

KipCorrington25
09-26-2009, 10:55 PM
Does he know the plays? Will be punt the ball if thrown to him? ****ing douche bag.

baja
09-26-2009, 10:56 PM
If Marshall could get it together, I'd like to see us get another really solid WR as soon as Stokely calls it quits. Royal is a natural slot guy, anyway.

<b>I predict that, at least one time, Marshall will watch from the side as our long snapper is playing wideout and catching bubble screens.

You just know McD has a job for him, he brought him here to be a long snapper and a locker room spy and one other job to be sure. Maybe you are right.

broncocalijohn
09-26-2009, 11:16 PM

Is this quote from preseason? WHere in the hell have you been the last two weeks? I know I am responding before reading the whole thread to see if someone has already called you out, but I cant wait and I predict that I am piling on. Childish? He isnt benching him because of dragging on the childish act that Marshall gave us. He benched him because he is lacking in knowledge of the playbook and reads from the defense in the last game! I dont care if someone doesnt like him but to make idiotic comments that are totally unwarranted (McD has been correct on BMarsh the whole time).

extralife
09-27-2009, 12:33 AM
He deserved the suspension, but if he's on the active roster then you put him on the field. Showing Marshall who the boss is isn't going to do jack but help us lose games. If you don't want to play him, suspend him again. He says he knows the playbook. If he doesn't, suspend him. If he does, play him. This will-he-or-won't-he back and forth garbage is childish. And don't give me that "miss read a blitz" garbage. If anyone else misread a blitz he'd get yelled at and sent back out there.

And hey, we apparently took his playbook away while he was suspended. How the hell does that help anyone?

listopencil
09-27-2009, 12:40 AM
He deserved the suspension, but if he's on the active roster then you put him on the field. Showing Marshall who the boss is isn't going to do jack but help us lose games. If you don't want to play him, suspend him again. He says he knows the playbook. If he doesn't, suspend him. If he does, play him. This will-he-or-won't-he back and forth garbage is childish. And don't give me that "miss read a blitz" garbage. If anyone else misread a blitz he'd get yelled at and sent back out there.

And hey, we apparently took his playbook away while he was suspended. How the hell does that help anyone?

I don't think you are getting it. This isn't a "show him who the boss is" kind of move. He isn't out there because he isn't playing well. He didn't just misread a blitz, he made several mistakes and looked like he didn't have a clue much of the time. We had other options at his position so we used them. It's just that simple.

As far as the will-he-or-won't-he thing, it's going to happen until Marshall figures out what he's supposed to be doing or shows that he can't. Week three would be a stupid time to give up on someone who has shown in the past that they can be productive. Seems to me that McD and company are trying to work him in. What exactly do you want them to do at this point?

Broncojef
09-27-2009, 01:24 AM
I kind of enjoy watching Marshall on the sidelines. Counting on him for anything, much less third down conversions seems like wasted effort. I'd prefer to see Lloyd called up at least he'll give 100%