PDA

View Full Version : Browns defensive coordinator accepts blame for loss to Broncos

dragondawg
09-25-2009, 04:40 PM
By Stephanie Storm
Beacon Journal sports writer

BEREA: Five days after the Browns' demoralizing 27-6 loss to the Denver Broncos, defensive coordinator Rob Ryan took sole blame for the loss.

Ryan said his over-aggressive play-calling in the fourth quarter with the Browns trailing by seven points cost the Browns (0-2) the game.

''I called an all-out pressure, we got burned on max pressure and it really took us out of the game,'' Ryan said. ''It took the whole life out of our team.

''We were in there fighting like hell and we had a great chance to win that game. . . . I got frustrated and called the [blitz] play. Usually I'm smarter than that. It really hurt us and it really deflated our team. If I hadn't made that call, our defense would be in the top 10. But giving up 180 yards in the fourth quarter? Put it all on me.''

On second-and-8, Ryan called for all-out blitz on quarterback Kyle Orton. With all the Browns' defensive pressure coming, Orton quickly threw a 20-yard pass to Jabar Gaffney, who turned the play into a 49-yard gain to the Browns 2-yard line.

After a timeout, Broncos running back Peyton Hillis ran for a touchdown that put the Broncos ahead 20-6. Game over.

Cornerback Brandon McDonald, who was playing off Gaffney, played his part in the second-half blowout.

''I got kind of caught at the line of scrimmage trying to disguise, trying to give Orton a different read than what we were playing,'' McDonald said. ''But by the time he snapped it, my leverage was basically ate up . . . I took a bad angle as far as running out of my break [and Orton] was able to get a quick throw. As soon as he turned around, it was on him. So he just turned it up inside, and all I could do was just try to catch him before he could get in the end zone.''

McDonald got burned on the play, but Ryan still believes the blame lies squarely on his shoulders.

''I let emotion get the better of me in that situation and it really hurt us,'' Ryan said. ''It's really annoying to stand up here and admit that to you, but, hell, that's what happened.

''You just have to stay patient and do the things you're doing. When you sell your soul out there, you have to be ready to suffer the consequences. And unfortunately, I threw it out there and ruined the whole game for everybody.''

Tempers flare

An altercation spilled into the locker room moments after Friday's afternoon practice.

Just as the locker room was opened, a soaking-wet Coye Francies burst in with an orange water bucket full of ice, looking for his secondary teammates after having been dunked in water.

After Francies threw the ice at defensive back Brandon McDonald, who was changing in front of his locker, he headed for the locker of another defensive back, Abe Elam.

''You want a piece of this?'' Elam yelled as Francies (who'd put the bucket down) charged Elam in his corner locker and swung at him. Elam successfully blocked the blow and Francies was quickly restrained.

''It wasn't nothing like [a rookie indoctrination], it was just guys having fun,'' McDonald said. ''It's all in good fun. He got a little aggressive, it's no big deal.''

While McDonald cleaned up the ice cubes around his locker area, veteran 350-pound nose tackle Shaun Rogers played the role of enforcer and grabbed Francies by the scruff of the neck and ushered him outside.

''Welcome to the Browns locker room!'' yelled wide receiver Braylon Edwards from the other corner of the locker room.

When Francies came back into the room, still fuming, he was led into a side equipment room near his locker in an attempt to give him more time to cool off.

When Francies returned to his stall to dress, linebackers D'Qwell Jackson and Eric Barton and defensive back Brodney Pool went over and sat down next to to him to try to calm him down.

Afterward, still obviously irritated, Francies had little to say.

''We were just playing around,'' he said in a low voice. ''It was all fun and games.''

Then Francies went to talk to coach Eric Mangini, whose main concern was if there was anything malicious ''or something deeper here.''

Mangini talked to a couple other guys involved, ''some veteran leaders, guys in the know'' to try to get the full story.

''Coye realized he shouldn't have reacted the way he reacted,'' Mangini said. ''He wanted to get them back, [but] he should have put it in the right context. He's a rookie, he's young, I don't think it's anything deeper than that. It didn't sound like anything from all parties involved.''

Dawson hurting

Kicker Phil Dawson is listed as questionable with a right calf injury. Several kickers were trying out after practice during a session that was being videotaped. . . . In 19 games against the Ravens, Dawson has missed just two field goals. He is 24-for-26, including a game-winning 33-yard field goal that gave the Browns a 33-30 overtime win on Nov. 18, 2007.

More injury updates

Veteran running back Jamal Lewis did not practice for the third consecutive day while nursing a hamstring injury. He is listed as doubtful. . . . Offensive lineman Rex Hadnot, who suffered a medial collateral ligament injury on Aug. 6, participated in limited practice for the first time Friday, but is also listed as doubtful.

http://www.ohio.com/news/break_news/61540372.html

Marshall Dumervil
09-25-2009, 04:47 PM
Veteran 350-pound nose tackle Shaun Rogers played the role of enforcer and grabbed Francies by the scruff of the neck and ushered him outside.

Hilarious!

listopencil
09-25-2009, 04:48 PM
On second-and-8, Ryan called for all-out blitz on quarterback Kyle Orton. With all the Browns' defensive pressure coming, Orton quickly threw a 20-yard pass to Jabar Gaffney, who turned the play into a 49-yard gain to the Browns 2-yard line.

So shouldn't we give Orton a **** ton of credit for reading the blitz and making the Browns pay? I mean...this is the Browns DC basically saying that he was trying to **** Orton and Orton ****ed him instead. That's pretty good stuff.

Rabb
09-25-2009, 04:52 PM
So shouldn't we give Orton a **** ton of credit for reading the blitz and making the Browns pay? I mean...this is the Browns DC basically saying that he was trying to **** Orton and Orton ****ed him instead. That's pretty good stuff.

no I am sure there was a smarter 50 yard pass (in the air) he could have made instead, what are you thinking man?

:wiggle:

UberBroncoMan
09-25-2009, 05:00 PM
''Welcome to the Browns locker room!'' yelled wide receiver Braylon Edwards from the other corner of the locker room.

There is a sense of sadness about this.

misturanderson
09-25-2009, 05:10 PM
Did he make their offense totally impotent somehow? I'm under the impression that the offense may have had more to do with the loss than their defense.

Los Broncos
09-25-2009, 05:16 PM
Did he make their offense totally impotent somehow? I'm under the impression that the offense may have had more to do with the loss than their defense.

Yes, the score should of been 40-6.

CEH
09-25-2009, 05:17 PM
McDonald is too blame. No way any quality DB lets a 20 yard curl turn into a 50 yard pass play. He needed to use the sideline to his advantage and force Gaffney to turn out not in. Very bad positioning

tsiguy96
09-25-2009, 05:45 PM
McDonald is too blame. No way any quality DB lets a 20 yard curl turn into a 50 yard pass play. He needed to use the sideline to his advantage and force Gaffney to turn out not in. Very bad positioning

true dat, but the coach should always take the blame, if anything else to avoid the media beating on a player and making it worse.

BroncoBuff
09-25-2009, 06:07 PM

Yeah, their offense/our defense.

He's just falling on his sword. Seems like a high character guy ... ???

KipCorrington25
09-25-2009, 06:18 PM
They scored 6 points and 3 of those were gift wraped...

DarkHorse30
09-25-2009, 09:51 PM
I don't know, but I was laughing my ass off when Baldinger called them the "flying Mangini's"

Archer81
09-25-2009, 09:53 PM
I am sure the Browns offensive coordinator was just waiting for the last :57 of the game to unleash a 28 point torrent...but that damn Ryan ruined the awesomeness of Brady Quinn...

:Broncos:

Cito Pelon
09-26-2009, 11:39 AM
It's not often you see a total ass-kicking like Denver put on Cleveland, maybe 10 times out of 100. Cleveland didn't win any statistical category, so it's no wonder the rookie wasn't pleased with fun and games after a total ass-kicking like that. Mangini needs more rookies like that and less of the fun-n-games vets.