PDA

View Full Version : Should Al Wilson be in the Broncos "Ring of Fame"

baja
09-25-2009, 11:25 AM
Poll coming

Rock Chalk
09-25-2009, 11:27 AM
He probably wont make it but IMO he is one of teh top 3 LBs in Bronco history.

Quoydogs
09-25-2009, 11:29 AM

Absofreakinlootly!!

BroncoBuff
09-25-2009, 11:31 AM
Yes, but that would make the ongoing Simon Fletcher snub even more awkward.

I mostly agree with Alec, though I'd say Top 5. And make room for Dumervil, he's going to explode these next few years under Nolan.

Rock Chalk
09-25-2009, 11:33 AM
Al Wilson > Simon Fletcher

Old Dude
09-25-2009, 11:44 AM
Technically, there's a five-year waiting period, so he would be eligible when? 2012? 2013?

He was a 5-time pro-bowler. That's very comparable to Dennis Smith and Karl Mecklenburg , who were both six-time pro-bowlers.

And there probably aren't a lot of other Broncos from Al's "era" who are more deserving. Rod Smith is the only one who comes to mind. Trevor Pryce might get in there.

(I don't consider Champ Bailey in the same era, though they certainly overlapped.)

Ironlung
09-25-2009, 11:49 AM
Al Wilson > Simon Fletcher

absolutely not. http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/F/FletSi20.htm

baja
09-25-2009, 11:54 AM
http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=147

Smiling Assassin27
09-25-2009, 11:59 AM
This is an easy one, IMO. I mean, c'mon, this isn't Ian Gold or even John Mobley we're talking about here. Wilson was the heart and soul of the team and is in league with Meck, Gradishar, and Jackson.

Old Dude
09-25-2009, 12:04 PM
Technically, there's a five-year waiting period, so he would be eligible when? 2012? 2013?

He was a 5-time pro-bowler. That's very comparable to Dennis Smith and Karl Mecklenburg , who were both six-time pro-bowlers.

And there probably aren't a lot of other Broncos from Al's "era" who are more deserving. Rod Smith is the only one who comes to mind. Trevor Pryce might get in there.

(I don't consider Champ Bailey in the same era, though they certainly overlapped.)

oops Tom Nalen, of course, who will be eligible a year or two after Al.

Mike Shanahan will also be there at some point, but I doubt that he's finished with his coaching career.

broncocalijohn
09-25-2009, 12:18 PM
until fletcher gets in.......

Hotrod
09-25-2009, 12:31 PM
28 yes 9 no talk about homers

We cant put every tom dick and harry up there christ.

peacepipe
09-25-2009, 12:45 PM
I voted no,he was good but not "ring of fame" good. Great leader but wasn't a great tackler,especially his last 1-3 seasons with us.

Orange_Beard
09-25-2009, 12:46 PM
did play long enough.

Los Broncos
09-25-2009, 12:48 PM
until fletcher gets in.......

Well of course.

OBF1
09-25-2009, 01:12 PM
No one is a bigger Al Wilson fan than I am, that said he is NOT ROF worthy. He made a lot of good plays but still had a serious problem wrapping up and bringing down opposing RB's. His numbers do not lie.... Way too few picks and sacks as well.

Real good player yes, ROF no way

Beantown Bronco
09-25-2009, 01:29 PM

Well, in fairness, they don't let any non-Broncos in the Broncos' ROF.

jhns
09-25-2009, 01:37 PM
I think he deseves it. A lot of others do as well. His impact is undeniable. Just look at our defense with Wilson and then look at it right after his injury. He was our single biggest loss of the past 5 years, IMO at least.

BroncoBuff
09-25-2009, 01:52 PM
If I can get in, then well .....

http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/567/viewphp.jpg

Beantown Bronco
09-25-2009, 02:03 PM
I think he deseves it. A lot of others do as well. His impact is undeniable. Just look at our defense with Wilson and then look at it right after his injury. He was our single biggest loss of the past 5 years, IMO at least.

Watch Randy Moss in the first half of the game against us last year and then in the 2nd half of the game last year, after Champ left with his injury.

Wes Mantooth
09-25-2009, 02:16 PM
I'm sorry. I really like Al Wilson, but did not do enough nor did he have the longevity needed. Granted, we were much worse off without him, but we won 2 playoff games (if memory serves) under his tenure.

Hotrod
09-25-2009, 02:23 PM

Hey thats crazy McDortoh made it as #1 also :spit:

BroncoBuff
09-25-2009, 02:25 PM
Hey thats crazy McDortoh made it as #1 also :spit:

Fine ... but I'm the only holder ever inducted into the Ring of Fame.

loborugger
09-25-2009, 02:31 PM

Isnt the requirement that you be retired for 5 years? Therefore, you quit being a Bronco fan in 2004?

Anyways, Al is definitely borderline. He was very solid and a great leader, but he seems to lack that 'put him in' feel. Cant really make an arguement against him going in, but I cant really make a great arguement for him to be in, either. I would therefore, have to say no.

backup qb
09-25-2009, 02:34 PM
I think he just misses the cut.

24champ
09-25-2009, 02:37 PM
Great leader, but IMO he doesn't get in. Too many players are in front of him that are more worthy.

Not to mention the fact that the Broncos and Al Wilson relationship soured pretty quickly there at the end. Broncos trying to trade him, and then there was Al Wilson giving his retirement speech somewhere else and not at Dove Valley. More importantly, there was the grievance that Al Wilson filed against the Broncos (suing them for 7.5 million)...I am sure that didn't sit well with Pat Bowlen. Al Wilson lost in court on a technicality of timing, and he doesn't get the 7.5 million dollars he was seeking.

BroncoBuff
09-25-2009, 03:00 PM
Isnt the requirement that you be retired for 5 years? Therefore, you quit being a Bronco fan in 2004?
Noooo! I retired as the holder in 2000.

bombay
09-25-2009, 03:30 PM
Yes. The day he went down was The Day The Defense Died.

Although I hope it's now experiencing a resurection.

UberBroncoMan
09-25-2009, 04:29 PM
All-Pro the the two years before he had to retire (this includes the year he got injured). He was only getting better... so yes, he deserves it for the years he spent here and what he did for the Broncos on and off the field.

BroncoMan4ever
09-25-2009, 05:01 PM

We cant put every tom dick and harry up there christ.

we aren't talking about DJ, Mobley or Gold going onto the ROF. not talking about guys who had a couple good seasons, we are talking about Al Wilson, the undisputed heart and soul of the team for the majority of the almost decade he was here. it would be criminal to not include him in the Ring of Fame when his time comes.

Rock Chalk
09-25-2009, 05:23 PM
absolutely not.

Sorry dude, Fletcher has sack numbers because he was a pass rushing LB. Tackles both averaged 78, Al had more picks, Fletcher did have more forced fumbled but again played on the outside and had some great opportunities. Early on he played on a great defense with great players surrounding him. Most of Al's time he was the only all-pro player on the front seven. He damn sure didn't have Rulon or Meck on his team.

Fletcher was never at the Pro-bowl...BEFORE the fan voting skewed it. He was never named an all-prop.

Wilson was a 5 time pro-bowler playing in a conference with Ray freaking Lewis to boot and a First Team All Pro.

Bob
09-25-2009, 05:27 PM
I love the guy, but we need all the space we can get for all the folks like TD and Elway...

DivineLegion
09-25-2009, 05:36 PM
I love the guy, but we need all the space we can get for all the folks like TD and Elway...

Both TD and Elway are already in the Ring of Fame.

As a matter of fact Elway was inducted in 99' as an exemption to the five year rule. TD was inducted in 07.

Ironlung
09-25-2009, 06:07 PM
Sorry dude, Fletcher has sack numbers because he was a pass rushing LB. Tackles both averaged 78, Al had more picks, Fletcher did have more forced fumbled but again played on the outside and had some great opportunities. Early on he played on a great defense with great players surrounding him. Most of Al's time he was the only all-pro player on the front seven. He damn sure didn't have Rulon or Meck on his team.

Fletcher was never at the Pro-bowl...BEFORE the fan voting skewed it. He was never named an all-prop.

Wilson was a 5 time pro-bowler playing in a conference with Ray freaking Lewis to boot and a First Team All Pro.

Agree to disagree. With all due respect to 56, i'd take Fletch over Al any day. If a 16 sack season, and setting the record for consecutive games with a sack (10), which still sands today, doesn't warrant a all pro accolade...well...I don't know what does.

Hogan11
09-25-2009, 07:51 PM
Let's just put every decent player the Broncos ever had in the RoF and be done with it then.

gunns
09-25-2009, 08:55 PM

This is the biggest rationalization post I've ever seen. Any player has great opportunities. Both did play different positions but Fletchers contribution on the field out weighed Wilson's. Fletcher played in a sack era with Richard Dent, Leslie O' Neal, Lawrence Taylor, Kevin Greene, Bruce Smith. Fletcher's D's were top 10 in pts allowed for 5 years and Wilson 4 years so it was fairly comparable. Fletcher holds the record on the Broncos for forced fumbles and sacks. Plus his tackle count was more than respectable. As far as his contribution to this team he should be in the ROF before Wilson and if he's not, Wilson shouldn't either.

ZONA
09-25-2009, 09:16 PM
No one is a bigger Al Wilson fan than I am, that said he is NOT ROF worthy. He made a lot of good plays but still had a serious problem wrapping up and bringing down opposing RB's. His numbers do not lie.... Way too few picks and sacks as well.

yup. I say No for those exact reasons. If we just put up every player that was good, there would have to be several layers of rings. The ROF is reserved for truly SPECIAL players that come around every once in a few decades.

Crushisback
09-25-2009, 10:39 PM
Nope. Great sideline to sideline. Liability up the middle though. That said, I loved that guy and wouldn't bitch for a minute if he got in.

fdf
09-25-2009, 11:14 PM
Poll coming

Duh. Yes.

baja
09-25-2009, 11:23 PM
Duh. Yes.

http://www.monroegallery.com/showcase/images/MH_JacksonPollock2.jpg

sisterhellfyre
09-26-2009, 12:16 AM
[wince] I'd love to say yes, Big Al should be in the ROF, but I can't. It's just not the "Ring of the Very Good," it's the Ring of All-Time Players. Al just doesn't quite make that cut for me. I'm just not feeling it, dawg, if y'know what I mean?

BroncoMan4ever
09-26-2009, 01:11 AM
[wince] I'd love to say yes, Big Al should be in the ROF, but I can't. It's just not the "Ring of the Very Good," it's the Ring of All-Time Players. Al just doesn't quite make that cut for me. I'm just not feeling it, dawg, if y'know what I mean?

how can you not see him as an ALL TIME DENVER GREAT?

the fact that the defense absolutely inploded the monment he no longer was manning the middle shows just how important he was to the team. the team had its heart and soul ripped out the moment Al was gone.

he is one of the very best LBs to ever put on a Denver uniform and was the Rod Smith of our defense for almost a decade.

BroncoMan4ever
09-26-2009, 01:15 AM

if Tripucka in only 3 years of service is warranted a spot on the ROF and a retired number, than the heart and soul of the defense for almost a decade deserves to get in. he may not have the stats you want a MLB to have, but what he brought the team was more than just on the field. he made every player on that defense better, he was the engine of the defense, the fact that the defense imploded without him, shows just how very valuable he was to the team. he deserves ROF regardless of the lack of flashy stats.

errand
09-26-2009, 05:20 AM

If he was one the top 3 LB's in Broncos history, how could he not make it?

errand
09-26-2009, 05:29 AM
I do find it odd that during the discussions of Elway all one can usually read is how it was Elway and a bunch of scrubs...

so how can anyone who played for the Broncos prior to us winning the Super bowls in '97-'98 seasons be considered as RoF worthy if, as alot of you have mentioned on here in prior posts, they were nothing but a bunch of scrubs?

Hogan11
10-09-2009, 02:38 PM
Hmmn. What about Gene Mingo (honorary captain this week)...

http://www.angelfire.com/md3/osslyn/The

Broncos records:

Best Rushing Avg.(career) 4.20yds-1960-64(8th all-time)

Longest Scoring Run from Scrimmage 82yds vs Raiders 10/05/62(1st all-time)

Best Avg. Per Punt Return(career)11.89yds-1960-64(4th all-time)

Longest Scoring Punt Return-76yds vs Patriots 09/09/60(8th all-time)

Most Points Scored(career)408-1960-64(5th all-time)

Most Points Scored(season)137-1962(2nd all-time)

123-1960(7th all-time)

Most Points Scored(game)21 vs LA Chargers-12/10/60(2nd all-time)\par 20 vs San Diego-10/06/63(4th all-time)

19 vs Oakland-10/05/62(5th all-time)

Most Points Scored by Rookie(season-123-1960(1st all-time)

Most Points Scored by Rookie(game)-21 vs LA Chargers 12/10/60(2nd all-time)

Most PAT Attempts(career)126-1960-64(5th all-time)

Most PAT Made(career)120-1960-64(5th all-time)

Most PAT Made by Rookie(season)33made-36att-1960(3rd all-time)

Best PAT Percentage(career).952-1960-64(7th all-time)

Most FG Attempted(career)119-1960-64(5th all-time)

Most FG Attempted(season)39-1962(1st all-time)

Most FG Attempted(game)7 vs San Diego-10/06/63(2nd all-time)

Most FG Made(career)72-1960-64(5th all-time)

\par Most FG Made(season)27-1962(7th all-time)

Most FG Made(game)5 vs San Diego 10/06/63(4th all-time)

Most FG Made by Rookie(season)18-1960(3rd all-time)

Best FG Percentage(career).605-1960-64(6th all-time)

Longest FG-53yds vs San Diego-09/07/62(17th all-time)

52yds vs San Diego-09/07/62(19th all-time)

Also of note: First black field goal kicker in the AFL/NFL. In 1960 he had the 1st punt return for a touchdown in the AFL, that touchdown won the first ever AFL game as the Broncos defeated the Patriots. Gene also scored the first points in Mile High Stadium, then called Bears Stadium, with a 18yd field goal. He led the AFL in scoring in 1960 with 123 points and in 1962 with 137 points.

Yeah well, 90% of the board wasn't around to see him play, so.......::)

Old Dude
10-09-2009, 02:39 PM
Yeah well, 90% of the board wasn't around to see him play, so.......::)

Some of those stats are dated, too. Such as the "longest FG" which we all know belongs to Jason Elam.

But that's still a big piece of Bronco history.

Hogan11
10-09-2009, 02:44 PM
Some of those stats are dated, too. Such as the "longest FG" which we all know belongs to Jason Elam.

But that's still a big piece of Bronco history.

Still, the tendency is there to not acknowledge team history if one didn't witness it firsthand, you know that.

It's like a 9 yr old saying Jay Cutler is the best Broncos QB ever because they never seen Elway play.

Pony Boy
10-09-2009, 03:11 PM
A little off the thread topic but the best group of linebackers ever was, Randy Gradishar, Joe Rizzo, Bob Swenson and Tom Jackson ..........

Natedogg
10-09-2009, 05:17 PM
Can't believe the lack of love for Smoke Dog. After Rod Smith, noone derserves it more. I don't understand the "uh, I'm just not feelin' it" posts. He lit the fire under our defense for 10 years. Really, if you go back and watch the games he was every single bit as animated as Dawkins is today.

Can't believe this place today. Damn.

gunns
10-09-2009, 05:23 PM
I do find it odd that during the discussions of Elway all one can usually read is how it was Elway and a bunch of scrubs...

so how can anyone who played for the Broncos prior to us winning the Super bowls in '97-'98 seasons be considered as RoF worthy if, as alot of you have mentioned on here in prior posts, they were nothing but a bunch of scrubs?

Uh, the scrubs normally referred to when Elway was playing were on offense. Elway didn't play on the defense. It was an offensive league at that time. While the D had some great players during his time period, like the last 10 years (see safety and DL) there were players missing from vital positions at any given time.

bombay
10-09-2009, 05:54 PM
Uh, the scrubs normally referred to when Elway was playing were on offense. Elway didn't play on the defense. It was an offensive league at that time. While the D had some great players during his time period, like the last 10 years (see safety and DL) there were players missing from vital positions at any given time.

Yeah. It wasn't a reference to the defense, and not about the '90's teams. It was more about Sammy Winder at RB and the Three Dwarves wideout.