PDA

View Full Version : Broncos bracing for Seymour

dragondawg
09-24-2009, 09:29 PM
AFC West Defensive lineman a big addition for Oakland.

By Lindsay H. Jones

The Denver Post

Denver In Ryan Clady's 18-game professional career, only one player is credited with getting past him to take down the Denver Broncos' quarterback for a sack.

That player was Richard Seymour, who was a New England Patriot last Oct. 20 when he beat the combined blocking of Clady, the left tackle, and Ben Hamilton, the left guard.

Clady would only nod his head when asked this week when asked about facing Seymour one-on-one.

"I enjoyed it," Clady said.

The normally quiet offensive linemen have been particularly mum this week as they prepare to once again face Seymour, who was traded earlier this month to the Oakland Raiders.

Without Seymour, the Raiders had a formidable front, with two hearty tackles in Gerard Warren at 6-foot-4 and 325 pounds and Tommy Kelly at 6-6 and 300 pounds, and veteran defensive end Greg Ellis, who was a Pro Bowl player in Dallas.

With Seymour, who played in five Pro Bowls and won three Super Bowl rings in his eight years in New England, the Raiders have one of the better defensive lines in the NFL.

During Sunday's game, when the Broncos have the ball it will be a classic case of strength versus strength.

The Broncos offensive line has allowed only three sacks. Quarterback Kyle Orton has consistently had ample time to pass, and the running game has averaged 130 rushing yards per game.

Meanwhile, Seymour and Ellis have combined for five sacks through two games. Although the Raiders gave up 409 yards to Kansas City last week, the Oakland defense has allowed an average of only 17 points per game, ninth-best in the NFL.

"They can rush around the edge. They can power you to the quarterback. The toughest challenge is to know who you're blocking on every play, because it will change," coach Josh McDaniels said.

"Seymour is not always going to be on the left, he's not always going to be outside, he may be inside, so the guards are going to have to deal with him, the center may have to deal with him, and certainly the tackles will have to deal with him."

McDaniels is familiar with Seymour, having watched his Patriots offense practice against him while both McDaniels and Seymour were in New England. The difference is Seymour is moving from a 3-4 defense to the traditional defensive end spot in the Raiders' 4-3 scheme. Oakland coach Tom Cable said he thinks Seymour has enjoyed the change.

"We tend to play him in a number of spots," Cable said. "I think this probably gives him a little more freedom."

http://www.sltrib.com/sports/ci_13415206

beanerbronco
09-24-2009, 10:03 PM
Seymour is a beast, I hope we are preparing for him! Go Broncos! Go Clady! Go oline!

BroncoMan4ever
09-24-2009, 10:03 PM
Clady will own him

BroncoSojia
09-24-2009, 10:12 PM
Clady will own him

Yeah like he did on this play

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d80bd2c50/Patriots-Defense-Highlight-WK-07-vs-Broncos-2008

Bigdawg26
09-24-2009, 10:37 PM
Oakland's D-line has gotten really good, but Clady will still own seymour though! I wish the Pats would have traded Seymour to Denver!!

tsiguy96
09-24-2009, 10:52 PM
Yeah like he did on this play

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d80bd2c50/Patriots-Defense-Highlight-WK-07-vs-Broncos-2008

wow, seymour was teh only guy to get past clady an entire .5 times in 16 games. im pretty sure the entire team wasnt even trying after the beating they had received the previous 3 quarters.

uplink
09-25-2009, 12:17 AM
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">
He won't be able to handle it

BroncoMan4ever
09-25-2009, 12:22 AM
Oakland's D-line has gotten really good, but Clady will still own seymour though! I wish the Pats would have traded Seymour to Denver!!

i'm still holding out hope for Wilfork

ZONA
09-25-2009, 12:33 AM
That was more on Hamilton then it was Clady. It looks like Seymour is going inside and moves over to Hamilton's area and Clady can't do anything because Hamilton is right next to him, so it isn't like Clady could slide with Seymour to the inside.

gyldenlove
09-25-2009, 07:05 AM
Interestingly, Darrell Reid and Elvis Dumervil has as many sacks this season as Richard Seymour and Greg Ellis.

Old Dude
09-25-2009, 08:15 AM
Hamilton missed some practice time this week due to a hamstring problem.

http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_13415610

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Raiders take advantage of that.

SonOfLe-loLang
09-25-2009, 09:32 AM

This entire server would have melted down had the broncos traded their 1st for seymour.

RaiderH8r
09-25-2009, 09:38 AM
Here's the funny/unfunny/machiavellian genius of the Belicheat; Seymour clearly was unhappy with the idea of being a Raider. He's in the last year of his contract, after the season he skips town to return to the Pats who now have Seymour AND Oakland's first rounder. F'ing genius.

gyldenlove
09-25-2009, 09:55 AM
Here's the funny/unfunny/machiavellian genius of the Belicheat; Seymour clearly was unhappy with the idea of being a Raider. He's in the last year of his contract, after the season he skips town to return to the Pats who now have Seymour AND Oakland's first rounder. F'ing genius.

Who does the Pats lose then? Wilfork?

Unless they fail to make the playoffs they are going to have to lose a player of similar value for each one they sign, so to sign Seymour they would have to not resign Wilfork or someone else.

RaiderH8r
09-25-2009, 09:57 AM
Who does the Pats lose then? Wilfork?

Unless they fail to make the playoffs they are going to have to lose a player of similar value for each one they sign, so to sign Seymour they would have to not resign Wilfork or someone else.

If you're talking rules you can stowe it. This is the Belicheat we're talking about. Rules do not apply. He will sign Seymour, they will keep Wilfork and he'll hunt you down on the internets and rub your face in it because he is Billy Belicheats.