PDA

View Full Version : Raiders-Broncos blacked out

HEAV
09-24-2009, 02:50 PM
Raiders-Broncos blacked out
By Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer
Thursday, September 24th, 2009 at 1:08 pm in Oakland Raiders.

The Raiders-Broncos game did not sell out by today’s 1:05 p.m. deadline and will not be televised locally.

Having the second game of the season blacked out against a division rival is not a good sign.

Over the past three years, the Raiders have had just two blackouts each season along with 18 sellouts. The Broncos game has been on TV in all three of those years.
--------

http://www.ibabuzz.com/oaklandraiders/2009/09/24/raiders-broncos-blacked-out/

Rock Chalk
09-24-2009, 02:52 PM
I guess Raider fans are tired of getting their ass kicked by us.

missingnumber7
09-24-2009, 02:54 PM
How do you have a division rival get blacked out...thats horrible.

baja
09-24-2009, 02:55 PM
It's sad to see any team fall in disarray like the Raiders have.

bronco militia
09-24-2009, 02:56 PM
blacked out raider home games are nothing new..

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/attachment.php?attachmentid=25003&stc=1&d=1253804680

Rabb
09-24-2009, 02:59 PM
in all fairness how can they expect their fan base to make it to the game

prison sentences don't serve themselves you know

supermanhr9
hahahahahahahahahahaha

Irish Stout
This is amazing!!!!

ghwk
09-24-2009, 03:00 PM
That blows for me.

Broncojef
09-24-2009, 03:02 PM
Unfortunately I watched both of their games this year...Russell would have to pay me to watch his crappy play.

crowebomber
09-24-2009, 03:02 PM
With the latest progress on a stadium LA, you know the Raiders back to LA talk will commence. The LA crowd would come late and leave early, but at least they would come!

12th man
09-24-2009, 03:07 PM
it will still be shown in colorado though, right?

TheElusiveKyleOrton
09-24-2009, 03:11 PM

Yes. Blackouts are the local broadcast only.

TailgateNut
09-24-2009, 03:11 PM

No it's not.

gyldenlove
09-24-2009, 03:13 PM
Honestly, I would feel bad but when your team is governed by the undead you should expect complications.

missingnumber7
09-24-2009, 03:14 PM

just blacked out in local area cuz the bums should be at the game instead.

Rock Chalk
09-24-2009, 03:24 PM
no it's not.

+1

bap454
09-24-2009, 03:26 PM
if i remember correctly, blacked out games were also blacked out on direct tv...>??? Can anyone remember?

prunch
09-24-2009, 03:28 PM
dammit .... i'm in the bay area thinking .. "here is a chance to see the broncos without having to find somewhere with sunday ticket" ... but no ... the idiot raiders can't even accomplish this simple task of having their idiot fans show up.

prunch
09-24-2009, 03:30 PM
if i remember correctly, blacked out games were also blacked out on direct tv...>??? Can anyone remember?

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090917210534AAxrI3y

Sunday ticket will have it regardless

Doggcow
09-24-2009, 03:32 PM

If youre in the local market (e.g. the game wouldnt be played on Sunday Ticket anyway)

mr007
09-24-2009, 03:33 PM

If you live in Oakland, yes it will be blacked out on DTV.

crowebomber
09-24-2009, 03:39 PM
dammit .... i'm in the bay area thinking .. "here is a chance to see the broncos without having to find somewhere with sunday ticket" ... but no ... the idiot raiders can't even accomplish this simple task of having their idiot fans show up.

Well, there are still tickets available!

Los Broncos
09-24-2009, 03:40 PM
Haha :rofl:

HEAV
09-24-2009, 03:48 PM
The real question is what will the local CBS channel have on instead? Or will they just go black for a few hours...

prunch
09-24-2009, 03:52 PM
yep blacked out on Sunday ticket

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/global/contentPage.jsp?assetId=900046

was the game available online last week by justin.tv or any other streams .... or did the nfl do a good job of shutting them down?

BroncoInSkinland
09-24-2009, 03:55 PM
The real question is what will the local CBS channel have on instead? Or will they just go black for a few hours...

I'm betting a three hour Cops marathon so they can catch up on family history in place of the game.

crowebomber
09-24-2009, 03:55 PM

:)

Los Broncos
09-24-2009, 03:58 PM
That dude looks like a unicorn.

hades
09-24-2009, 04:05 PM

I heard they will air Heidi in its entirety

broncosteven
Is it really worth dressing up as Darth Vader with a spike in your head if the game is blacked out?

baja
No it's not.

Damn at some point don't you have to feel sorry for that poor enduring fan, I mean when your problem is the owner all you got going for ya is he's old.

24champ
09-24-2009, 04:12 PM
Damn at some point don't you have to feel sorry for that poor enduring fan

Not when it's a Raider fan. **** em.

Los Broncos
09-24-2009, 04:13 PM
Is it really worth dressing up as Darth Vader with a spike in your head if the game is blacked out?

No.

TexanBob
09-24-2009, 04:16 PM
I guess pimps and hos are having a tough time in this economy too...

baja
09-24-2009, 04:17 PM
Not when it's a Raider fan. **** em.

Just go ahead and quote the part that works for ya never mind the funny part... Geez!

Mogulseeker
09-24-2009, 04:19 PM

Except with the Raiders, it's kinda funny.

That is, it's kind of funny how pathetic their franchise has become. I'm looking forward to the day when the Broncos finally have a winning record all-time against the Raiders... which could happen relatively soon.

Popcorn Sutton
09-24-2009, 04:42 PM
yep blacked out on Sunday ticket

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/global/contentPage.jsp?assetId=900046

was the game available online last week by justin.tv or any other streams .... or did the nfl do a good job of shutting them down?

Do you live in the Bay area?

Tombstone RJ
09-24-2009, 04:47 PM
Pathetic. Fader fans know this is going to be an azz kicking so they are gonna just stay away and cry...

Rabb
09-24-2009, 04:56 PM

from what I hear, they'll never go back

Paladin
09-24-2009, 04:59 PM

Heidi?

listopencil
09-24-2009, 05:13 PM
I think I'm far enough North in NorCal to avoid the blackout.

HEAV
09-24-2009, 06:02 PM

75 mile radius is the rule. So if you are 75 miles from Oaktown you should be safe.

baja
09-24-2009, 06:09 PM
Oh No I get the San Francisco feed that means I'm blacked out????

My billing address is San Diego.

Any one know how it works?

Bronco LB52
09-24-2009, 06:16 PM
That blows for me.

You should go. I am driving up from San Diego.

Broncos-Raiders is the Super Bowl of regular season games.

You can't beat the atmosphere in Oakland either.

Bronco LB52
09-24-2009, 06:20 PM

You should go too. My friend got me a 40 yard line ticket in the lower bowl for less than face value.

You will have a blast.

ZONA
09-24-2009, 07:59 PM
It's finally catching up with the Raider fans. They've spent all their money on makeup and spiked shoulder pads so they have none left to actually go and buy a ticket.

I guess on the flip side, the Halloween stores in Oakland should be doing very well. That actually might be a good business investment. I might go open up a Halloween store in Oaktown. Betcha I could sell 1000 Darth Vader masks within a week................hahahahah

:spit:

BroncoMan4ever
09-24-2009, 08:11 PM
How do you have a division rival get blacked out...thats horrible.

it happens when one of the teams is on an annual downward slide and has no hope of getting better anytime soon. the Raiders constant state of suck, while amusing for Broncos fans is bad for the NFL.

ghwk
09-24-2009, 09:41 PM
That dude looks like a unicorn.

I hear from baja that you can buy his jizz on ebay. Or was that Dortoh.

ghwk
09-24-2009, 09:44 PM
Oh No I get the San Francisco feed that means I'm blacked out????

My billing address is San Diego.

Any one know how it works?

Should go by billing address baja. Not sure if they know where the physical locations of the units actually are. I am actually looking for someone to set this up with in Colorado via slingbox if anyone is interested.

Los Broncos
09-24-2009, 09:44 PM
I hear from baja that you can buy his jizz on ebay. Or was that Dortoh.

I think it was Rev.

ghwk
09-24-2009, 09:45 PM
You should go. I am driving up from San Diego.

Broncos-Raiders is the Super Bowl of regular season games.

You can't beat the atmosphere in Oakland either.

i'd like to...sort of. I have my two boys with me too, not sure I want to expose them to this.

ghwk
09-24-2009, 09:47 PM
I think it was Rev.

LOL I tyhink you are right. Apologies to Baja and Dortoh, but given time either one of those guys would have posted it too. :wiggle:

Bronco LB52
09-24-2009, 09:53 PM
i'd like to...sort of. I have my two boys with me too, not sure I want to expose them to this.

Great point. That sucks:(

Ugly Duck
09-24-2009, 10:08 PM
blacked out raider home games are nothing new.

You missed this part of the article: "Over the past three years, the Raiders have had just two blackouts each season along with 18 sellouts."

Games black out because they don't sell out by the deadline.... but they do sell out. Bummer is... now I gotta go buy a dang ticket to watch the dang game. Lotta people in these parts just said the same thing....

ghwk
09-24-2009, 10:09 PM
You missed this part of the article: "Over the past three years, the Raiders have had just two blackouts each season along with 18 sellouts."

Games black out because they don't sell out by the deadline.... but they do sell out. Bummer is... now I gotta go buy a dang ticket to watch the dang game. Lotta people in these parts just said the same thing....

Maybe we should all road trip 60 miles or so and meet somewhere to watch the game. Sacramento ought to do it.

Bronco LB52
09-24-2009, 10:13 PM
Maybe we should all road trip 60 miles or so and meet somewhere to watch the game. Sacramento ought to do it.

Mountain Mike's Pizza in San Jose used to show the blacked out Raiders game illegally on an old school dish, but I haven't lived in the Bay Area for seven years so I don't know if they still do.

Bronco LB52
09-24-2009, 10:23 PM

I just saw this posted on the NFL coverage maps site...

NOTE: The Denver-Oakland game has been blacked out in San Francisco, Oakland, Sacramento and Monterey. As soon as information on an alternate game is available, the map will be updated.

Meck77
09-24-2009, 10:38 PM
**** the raiders......

Natedogg
09-24-2009, 10:53 PM
+1

+2. (only two!!!!!!)

Boobs McGee
09-25-2009, 12:03 AM
ok, stupid question. So, how does the whole blackout thing work?

For instance, in this case, that whole geographic area has no way to watch the game? Is the network punishing them? Or is it something like, they don't think people are going to watch on t.v. (since they didn't have enough interest at the stadium) and therefore don't want to waste money on the advertising?

I don't really get how the whole blackout idea works.

REGARDLESS, I'm very happy those artards can't watch their own ****ty team, but I'd still like an explanation please ;D

ZONA
09-25-2009, 12:21 AM
ok, stupid question. So, how does the whole blackout thing work?

For instance, in this case, that whole geographic area has no way to watch the game? Is the network punishing them? Or is it something like, they don't think people are going to watch on t.v. (since they didn't have enough interest at the stadium) and therefore don't want to waste money on the advertising?

I don't really get how the whole blackout idea works.

REGARDLESS, I'm very happy those artards can't watch their own ****ty team, but I'd still like an explanation please ;D

Very simple. If they don't sell out, the black the game out locally. If they didn't, there would be hardly any incentive to go to the games and they would never sell out. If they do sell out, no reason to black out the game because there are no more tickets available.

Borks147
09-25-2009, 12:41 AM
great - I just moved up here....shoulda stayed in SoCal where I belong.

HILife
09-25-2009, 06:04 AM

only local

Orange_Beard
09-25-2009, 07:27 AM
With the latest progress on a stadium LA, you know the Raiders back to LA talk will commence. The LA crowd would come late and leave early, but at least they would come!

I think that will be the new home of the Chargers. LA already tried the raiders once.

baja
09-25-2009, 07:52 AM
I get the San Francisco feed via Dish Network & Distant Channels so that means even though I am about 1500 miles away from Oakland I will no get to see the game. Is that right?

baja
09-25-2009, 07:53 AM
Is there still a chance they will sell out and the black out will be lifted?

Beantown Bronco
09-25-2009, 08:02 AM
Is there still a chance they will sell out and the black out will be lifted?

They will probably sell out the game now just because some folks will want to see the game, but it won't matter for those without tix because it's past the deadline for lifting the blackout.

bamanjam
09-25-2009, 08:40 AM
Anyone up for a roadie to Cali, we all can out number the crappy Raider fans in their stadium? It could be just like when the Broncos have traveled to Arizona in years past...

baja
09-25-2009, 08:53 AM
They will probably sell out the game now just because some folks will want to see the game, but it won't matter for those without tix because it's past the deadline for lifting the blackout.

Damn got screwed by broke ass Raider fan.

atomicbloke
09-25-2009, 09:44 AM
Blackout rules in today's NFL are retarded.

Irish Stout
09-25-2009, 09:50 AM

This I agree with. Explain to me why its good for the NFL, the local tv station, the advertisers, or the fans to black out the local market?

How does blacking out the local market increase revenue and popularity for your team?

If I ever start running local tv ads during football games on Sunday, I am going to be sure my contract has a clause where I can pull the ads if the coverage gets blacked out.

ScottXray
09-25-2009, 10:27 AM
I get the San Francisco feed via Dish Network & Distant Channels so that means even though I am about 1500 miles away from Oakland I will no get to see the game. Is that right?

Baja, the SF feeds will not carry the game, since its blacked out there..

Distant feeds are subject to the local area rules, for the area they are from.

Yeah, Oaktown fans screwed you up.

:stirstir::deadhorse:bronxrox::raidersux:smashraid :raiderssu

missingnumber7
09-25-2009, 10:28 AM

Why? Explain why it is so difficult to sell out a 75000 seat stadium? All they have to do is sell the tickets, not like the people have to attend.

Here is what wikipedia says...

Since 1973, the NFL has maintained a blackout policy that states that a home game cannot be televised locally if it is not sold out within 72 hours prior to its start time. Prior to 1973, all games were blacked out in their city of origin regardless of whether they were sold out. This policy, dating back to the NFL's emerging years on television, resulted in home-city blackouts that even extended to championship games. For instance, the 1958 "Greatest Game Ever Played" between the Baltimore Colts and New York Giants was not available on TV to New York fans despite the fact that tickets were out of reach to most. For years, Giants fans would migrate to Connecticut motel rooms every home weekend where they could watch the games beamed on Hartford/New Haven's CBS affiliate WTIC (Channel 3). Similarly, all Super Bowl games prior to Super Bowl VII were blacked out in the host city's market.

Although that policy was successfully defended in court numerous times, Congress passed legislation requiring the NFL to impose the 72-hour deadline (see above). The league will sometimes extend this deadline to 48 hours if there are only a few thousand tickets left unsold; much more rarely, they will occasionally extend this to 24 hours before kickoff in special cases.[12]

Alternatively, some NFL teams have arrangements with local TV stations or businesses to buy up unsold tickets. Tickets in premium "club" sections have been excluded from the blackout rule in past years, as have tickets returned by the visiting team. The Jacksonville Jaguars have even gone further and closed off a number of sections at their home Jacksonville Municipal Stadium to reduce the number of tickets they would need to sell (Jacksonville Municipal Stadium is one of the largest in the NFL, as it was built to also accommodate the annual Florida-Georgia game and the Gator Bowl, but Jacksonville is one of the smallest markets in the league). However, the NFL requires that this be done for every home game (including any home playoff games) in a given season if a team elects such an option, so that they can't try to sell out the entire stadium only when they expect to be able to do so.

The NFL defines "locally" as within a 75-mile radius of the stadium. Therefore, a TV blackout affects any market (station) whose broadcast signal penetrates into the 75-mile radius. Some primary media markets, such as Denver and Phoenix, may cover that entire radius and so the blackout would not affect any other markets.

An exception to the 75-mile rule is the market area for the Green Bay Packers, which stretches out to both the Green Bay and Milwaukee television markets (the team's radio flagship station is in Milwaukee, and selected Packer home games were played at Milwaukee until 1994), and to a smaller extent unofficially into the Escanaba/Marquette, Michigan market due to the presence of translator and satellite stations, along with extended cable coverage of Green Bay stations north into the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. However, blackout rules do not come into effect for the Packers, due to a four-decade long streak of sellouts and a decades-long season ticket waiting list making any non-sellout game in the near future seem impossible. Similarly, no Super Bowl has ever been blacked-out in the market of origin since the new blackout rules came into effect, as every Super Bowl except the first was a sell-out, and with the game's high-profile status, it is unlikely to not sell out.

Another policy to ensure a filled-up stadium is that no other NFL games can air on local TV at the same time as a team's home game in the club's primary market. This is to prevent ticket-holders from opting to watch the other locally televised NFL game instead of showing up at the stadium. Thus when a team's home game is on the network showing a single game, the network televising the doubleheader can only broadcast one game into that club's primary market; instead of showing a second game in the same time slot as the home game, the doubleheader network's local station must broadcast alternative programming (often movies or infomercials). When the doubleheader network has a team's home game, the other station might program the time themselves or air some other network programming scheduled for the non-NFL time-slot. This rule does not apply in Week 1 (when the US Open Men's Championship is on CBS at 4:30 PM). CBS affiliates may broadcast games opposite a team which has a home game on FOX at the same time in Week One.

Each TV market, including one hosting a non-sold-out game, is assured of at least one televised game in the early and late time slots, one game on each network, but no "network doubleheader" in a market originating a non-sold-out game.

The New York and San Francisco Bay Area media markets typically get fewer doubleheaders than other markets since each has two teams, and one of them is at home virtually every week. The main exception is when one of the teams is idle, has its home game televised on the doubleheader network, or is chosen for a prime-time game. This policy affects only the club's primary market, not others with signals that penetrate inside the 75-mile radius. It also does not affect viewers of NFL Sunday Ticket in the primary market; all other games remain available.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_on_television

ScottXray
09-25-2009, 10:34 AM
This I agree with. Explain to me why its good for the NFL, the local tv station, the advertisers, or the fans to black out the local market?

How does blacking out the local market increase revenue and popularity for your team?

If I ever start running local tv ads during football games on Sunday, I am going to be sure my contract has a clause where I can pull the ads if the coverage gets blacked out.

The blackout rules are in place as part of the TV contracts. If the game isn't sold out 72 hours in advance then the broadcast is blacked out to encourage fans to go to the game in that area.

In this day and age it probably could be changed to 24 hours, as the tech has changed enough to allow the nets to change things up fairly quickly. EVERY game is being broadcast, just which feeds go where is the only thing changed. But the league put those rules in, not the networks, which is why the league has extended the deadline in the past (three games the first week). I guess they didn't care enough about this game this week to give the Raiders another chance, or they are trying to make the point that a sellout is needed or the games WILL be blacked out.

missingnumber7
09-25-2009, 10:43 AM
The blackout rules are in place as part of the TV contracts. If the game isn't sold out 72 hours in advance then the broadcast is blacked out to encourage fans to go to the game in that area.

In this day and age it probably could be changed to 24 hours, as the tech has changed enough to allow the nets to change things up fairly quickly. EVERY game is being broadcast, just which feeds go where is the only thing changed. But the league put those rules in, not the networks, which is why the league has extended the deadline in the past (three games the first week). I guess they didn't care enough about this game this week to give the Raiders another chance, or they are trying to make the point that a sellout is needed or the games WILL be blacked out.

The league extends the deadline if they are close to selling out...it was deemed Oakland was not close enough to selling out to extend.

ol number 7
09-25-2009, 07:46 PM
The league extends the deadline if they are close to selling out...it was deemed Oakland was not close enough to selling out to extend.

They will show The Lane Kiffen Show in it's place. Just Win Baby has been replaced with "We have the dumbest team in America.":pimp:

Circle Orange
09-25-2009, 08:05 PM
in all fairness how can they expect their fan base to make it to the game

prison sentences don't serve themselves you know

Don't they let 'em out between 3 and 7pm? Shoot, that's eastern time...they'd miss the game! Besides, bed check is at 8...;D

broncocalijohn
09-25-2009, 08:26 PM
You will see this with the Chargers later in the season. Here is a division rival and they cant sell out. Either it is the economy or the Raider fans are wising up to not spin what little money they have on this product until they see a winner. This is one time where I would do the wait and see approach on buying tickets.

broncosteven
09-25-2009, 08:30 PM
Don't they let 'em out between 3 and 7pm? Shoot, that's eastern time...they'd miss the game! Besides, bed check is at 8...;D

Pillow biting must start at 8:01.