PDA

View Full Version : LA Stadium last roadblock cleared.

24champ
09-24-2009, 01:23 AM
They can start building soon...

After intense negotiations, a lawsuit filed by the nearby city of Walnut has been resolved, clearing a path for the construction of a new football stadium in the L.A.-area city of Industry.

The settlement renders efforts to change California environmental laws unnecessary. The group building the stadium, led by Ed Roski, had been lobbying the California legislature aggressively for the revision that would have mooted the lawsuit.

Members of the Walnut City Council approved the settlement by a 3-1 vote.

And so the project may now proceed.

All it needs is an NFL team to play games there.

So why do we have a feeling that Roski already has a team or two up his sleeve?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/09/23/last-roadblock-removed-for-la-stadium/

Who moves to LA????

baja
09-24-2009, 01:30 AM
Bowlen has always had a fascination with LA and he does have cash problems....

thumpc
09-24-2009, 01:31 AM
Its gotta be Oakland.

cutthemdown
09-24-2009, 01:38 AM
Jaguars IMO.

cutthemdown
09-24-2009, 01:39 AM

I doubt it after getting a great stadium and being top 10 in NFL revenue.

Jason in LA
09-24-2009, 01:41 AM
I think it's a bad idea to build a stadium out there. People say it's centrally located. Centrally located to what? I don't want to drive out there from LA. If I lived in Orange County I wouldn't want to drive out there either.

From where I live in LA to the City of Industry is 25 miles. From where I live to Anaheim is 32 miles. Not much difference to me. I think I've only seen one sporting event ever in Anaheim, when the Broncos played the Rams back in '94 I think. I'd say that a lot of LA folks are going to watch the game at home instead of driving out there. Same for a lot of Orange County people too. It's 25 miles from Anaheim to the City of Industry.

Are they expecting the Inland Empire to support this team? Or are folks from LA and OC really going to make that drive out there? I'll pass. Actually, the only reason I'd go, outside of the Broncos coming to town, is because I can get a press pass. But even then it would have to be a match up I'd really want to see.

Jason in LA
09-24-2009, 01:43 AM
It would be good if a Western team moved so they wouldn't have to worry about a team playing far from their division. I heard the Rams aren't doing well at all, and could be a possible team to move. That would make sense.

baja
09-24-2009, 01:43 AM
I doubt it after getting a great stadium and being top 10 in NFL revenue.

Ya but Pat loves the Hollywood life style, he could break out the fur coat and no body would bat an eye. He'd be in his element.

baja
09-24-2009, 01:48 AM
It would be good if a Western team moved so they wouldn't have to worry about a team playing far from their division. I heard the Rams aren't doing well at all, and could be a possible team to move. That would make sense.

The Los Angles Rams - kind of has a faintly familiar ring to it.....

ZONA
09-24-2009, 02:08 AM
Its gotta be Oakland.

LA fans would never want the Raiders there again as long as Davis owns them.

cutthemdown
09-24-2009, 02:25 AM
I think it's a bad idea to build a stadium out there. People say it's centrally located. Centrally located to what? I don't want to drive out there from LA. If I lived in Orange County I wouldn't want to drive out there either.

From where I live in LA to the City of Industry is 25 miles. From where I live to Anaheim is 32 miles. Not much difference to me. I think I've only seen one sporting event ever in Anaheim, when the Broncos played the Rams back in '94 I think. I'd say that a lot of LA folks are going to watch the game at home instead of driving out there. Same for a lot of Orange County people too. It's 25 miles from Anaheim to the City of Industry.

Are they expecting the Inland Empire to support this team? Or are folks from LA and OC really going to make that drive out there? I'll pass. Actually, the only reason I'd go, outside of the Broncos coming to town, is because I can get a press pass. But even then it would have to be a match up I'd really want to see.

wow 25 miles. What a journey.

SonOfLe-loLang
09-24-2009, 02:44 AM
Vikings/Jags both make sense...well jags make the most sense since Jacksonville is barely even a market and can barely sell out their own stadium...I know the vikings flirted with the idea in the past.

colonelbeef
09-24-2009, 04:24 AM

No way, top 10 fanbase with a good stadium. Starting over would be asinine. His cash problems are way overblown.

I would say the fans that should be worried are the Jaguars and Rams.

UberBroncoMan
09-24-2009, 05:05 AM
Vikings/Jags both make sense...well jags make the most sense since Jacksonville is barely even a market and can barely sell out their own stadium...I know the vikings flirted with the idea in the past.

I don't think Minnesota wants LA to jack another team.

UberBroncoMan
09-24-2009, 05:08 AM
No way, top 10 fanbase with a good stadium. Starting over would be asinine. His cash problems are way overblown.

I would say the fans that should be worried are the Jaguars and Rams.

Just look at the AFC West and NFC West to get the best idea. It would be messy to take a Central or East team and move them West because then you have to move a more Central'ish team into a Central division if it was a Central team and if it was an East you'd have to shuffle even more.

Rams out of the NFC West seems the most logical.

It would make them FAR closer to their counterparts within the division.

If it's not the Rams (and that's who I'm betting on) I'd actually say THE CHARGERS.

Meck77
09-24-2009, 05:20 AM
I think it's a bad idea to build a stadium out there. People say it's centrally located. Centrally located to what?

I haven't been thru that area in a long time but my guess is that it's centrally located to millions of people who live in the sardine can you guys call home. ;D

Hogan11
09-24-2009, 06:15 AM
If it's not the Rams (and that's who I'm betting on) I'd actually say THE CHARGERS.

That's the way I see it. They have had too many problems getting a new one in Diego. My bet is that it's the Chargers who are going back home.

missingnumber7
09-24-2009, 06:18 AM

The vikings aren't moving...the Wilf family has said repeatedly that they aren't moving the team. Red Mccombs has said he would move the team to TEXAS when he owned them, but there was never any discussion about moving to LA.

baja
09-24-2009, 06:21 AM
That's the way I see it. They have had too many problems getting a new one in Diego. My bet is that it's the Chargers who are going back home.

Hate to see it but this is the most likely.

lex
09-24-2009, 06:37 AM

It can be if theres a lot of traffic.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
09-24-2009, 06:53 AM
The correct answer is Kansas City.

Tombstone RJ
09-24-2009, 07:59 AM
Chargers moving to LA makes a lot of sense. They stay in the AFCW and in SoCal.

BroncoBuff
09-24-2009, 08:02 AM
Jaguars or Bolts.

TailgateNut
09-24-2009, 08:14 AM
The correct answer is Kansas City.

Never happen. They could suck for another 20 years and there will still be a sea of red in the stadium.

SonOfLe-loLang
09-24-2009, 08:23 AM
The vikings aren't moving...the Wilf family has said repeatedly that they aren't moving the team. Red Mccombs has said he would move the team to TEXAS when he owned them, but there was never any discussion about moving to LA.

never? type vikings move to LA in your google...there was something that went on. Where there's smoke there's fire

Natedog24
09-24-2009, 08:55 AM
Chargers makes the most sense, would be a pretty easy transition....

jhns
09-24-2009, 09:11 AM
I know some rich people have been looking into buying and moving the Rams now. Their stadium contract is up in 2012 and they can move then. I'm not sure what other teams are able to move soon. There are a few teams that are at least rumored to be for sale.

Canada, Mexico, and London also want teams as well. There will be some interesting biddingsp and movement in the next 5-10 years. I bet multiple teams move in that time.

Peoples Champ
09-24-2009, 09:19 AM
What about St. Louis, Their stadium attendance has been terrible for about 3-4 years now. I have been there with nobody in upperdeck, and lower deck 25% full

Peoples Champ
09-24-2009, 09:20 AM
I know some rich people have been looking into buying and moving the Rams now. Their stadium contract is up in 2012 and they can move then. I'm not sure what other teams are able to move soon. There are a few teams that are at least rumored to be for sale.

Canada, Mexico, and London also want teams as well. There will be some interesting biddingsp and movement in the next 5-10 years. I bet multiple teams move in that time.

I concur, STL Rams is my vote

Rohirrim
09-24-2009, 09:21 AM
Idiots. The best place to build a stadium in L.A. is right where the 10 and the 405 cross. Or right in the square surrounded by the 405, the 110, the 91 and the 710. It could be the Jags, but it could also be the Bills.

sisterhellfyre
09-24-2009, 09:32 AM
Idiots. The best place to build a stadium in L.A. is right where the 10 and the 405 cross. Or right in the square surrounded by the 405, the 110, the 91 and the 710. It could be the Jags, but it could also be the Bills.

The Rams, Chargers or Jaguars could all move without uprooting their traditions (esp because the Rams & Chargers were both in LA once already). If the Bills move, it would almost have to be another Cleveland-to-Baltimore thing where the team leaves behind the original colors and name. There's no way the NFL would miss a marketing opportunity like a new team name, logo, colors, etc. In any case, I truly can't imagine the "L.A. Bills."

Well... considering the economic situation in SoCal, I can imagine it. But who would really cheer for a team that used a telephone collections agent with a past-due notice as the team mascot?

SonOfLe-loLang
09-24-2009, 09:33 AM

10 and the 405? In Culver City/ SM?

Rohirrim
09-24-2009, 09:37 AM
10 and the 405? In Culver City/ SM?

I meant the Harbor Freeway that goes from LA to San Pedro. Right there in the Carson area, where Dominguez Hills is. You'd have four freeways feeding into it. Where's all the money in L.A.? From Santa Monica to Palos Verdes. Those people are not going to drive to the City of Industry. I guarantee it.

Crushisback
09-24-2009, 09:43 AM
Never happen. They could suck for another 20 years and there will still be a sea of red in the stadium.

Not really. They had trouble selling out last year, and when they did only about %70 showed up. Thier sell out streak will end this year.

DenverBroncosJM
09-24-2009, 09:43 AM
I meant the Harbor Freeway that goes from LA to San Pedro. Right there in the Carson area, where Dominguez Hills is. You'd have four freeways feeding into it. Where's all the money in L.A.? From Santa Monica to Palos Verdes. Those people are not going to drive to the City of Industry. I guarantee it.

From Santa Monica and PV its actually a pretty easy drive considering the freeways needed to get there. I would prefer that then trying to take the 405 on ANY day.

boltaneer
09-24-2009, 09:45 AM
There is a new stadium proposal here in San Diego that was announced a couple of days ago that has real promise. We'll see where that leads.

I've said it a million times. Don't hold your breath on the Chargers moving to LA. I don't know where people keep getting this. Spanos ain't selling the team and Roski ain't building a stadium for another owner to move into it.

You have to consider which teams that have a possibility of being sold. From what I understand, the Jaguars and Rams fit this description the most.

Rohirrim
09-24-2009, 09:49 AM
From Santa Monica and PV its actually a pretty easy drive considering the freeways needed to get there. I would prefer that then trying to take the 405 on ANY day.

I wouldn't want to be on any LA freeway any day. That's one of the reasons I live in Colorado. ;D But having grown up there, I know those people have an aversion to driving inland very far, especially when it takes them right through the middle of Gangland Central.

Bronco LB52
09-24-2009, 09:52 AM

Are you kidding me? The traffic is already unbearable at 10 and 405.

In a perfect world, it would be great to have a football stadium there, but there would have been an insurmountable amount of lawsuits and roadblocks.

Personally, I think Ed Roski is a genius for finally getting this project done. You have to remember, Roski is a LA native who already owns a major sports team in town (Kings). He studied closely all the failed stadium projects in the past that never materialized and he applied the lessons to his own project.

First off, he owned the land in the City of Industry where he built the new stadium upon. In this case, no eminent domain was involved.

Second, he knew the City of Industry was a small community that didn't have many interests or demands. A NFL stadium in their community is like a godsend to them. Who the **** visits City of Industry in the first place? They could be easily won over compared to trying to appease everybody in Los Angeles.

I don't think the stadium location is bad at all. It gives fans from Orange County and the Inland Empire as easy of access to the games as the football fans of Los Angeles. I don't think a 20 minute drive from downtown Los Angeles is going to be a turnoff for them. The NFL is an event. This isn't 81 home date MLB or 41 home date basketball we are talking about.

SonOfLe-loLang
09-24-2009, 10:01 AM
I wouldn't want to be on any LA freeway any day. That's one of the reasons I live in Colorado. ;D But having grown up there, I know those people have an aversion to driving inland very far, especially when it takes them right through the middle of Gangland Central.

Is there any space there though? Don't tell me you'd wanna knock down that ikea:)

OBF1
09-24-2009, 10:24 AM
I heard on the metro link this morning that the chargers are coming to town.

baja
09-24-2009, 10:39 AM

Put it in South Central and kill two birds with one stone.

Rohirrim
09-24-2009, 10:43 AM
L.A. is a funny place to go to a game. I remember going to a few games at the Colisseum and you'd see people wearing logos for every sports team in America. They come late, and leave early and love doing the wave more than watching the game. :rofl:

24champ
09-24-2009, 11:03 AM
Personally, I think Ed Roski is a genius for finally getting this project done. You have to remember, Roski is a LA native who already owns a major sports team in town (Kings). He studied closely all the failed stadium projects in the past that never materialized and he applied the lessons to his own project.

Ed Roski is a part owner of the Kings and Lakers..and does own the Kings with AEG and Phillip Anschutz (who owns Staples Center and LA Live). If anyone has been to Staples Center recently, would say that downtown LA has turned around from where it was 10 years ago. Roski isn't just building a stadium ...he's building spaces for restaurants, entertainment theater for concerts, retail shops, etc. Roski is going to make a ****load from this project.

Project Site Statistics

* Total Square Acreage: 592
* Stadium (with Team Facilities): 75,000 Seats, including 11,000 Club seats and 175 Suites
* Office Buildings: 1.49 million sq ft
* Retail Shops: 833,000 sq ft
* Restaurants: 162,000 sq ft
* Live Theater: 5,000 seats (60,000 sq ft)
* Movie Theater: 1,200 seats (60,000 sq ft)
* Green and non-parking Open Space: 271 acres

Also Boltaneer is right, Chargers aren't going to move to LA. Spanos isn't going to sell the team to Roski. The LA Rams are the most likely choice.

BroncoBuff
09-24-2009, 11:10 AM

It's just east on the 10 to the 605 ... very close to the infamous Irwindale, actually.

I understand what you're saying about well-heeled folks, I'm just not sure the well-to-do population are big football fans ???

24champ
09-24-2009, 11:12 AM
I wouldn't want to be on any LA freeway any day. That's one of the reasons I live in Colorado. ;D

I used to drive on the 101 every day, it sucked. Traffic here in Colorado does not compare to Southern California's at all. It's not even close.

baja
09-24-2009, 11:20 AM
I used to drive on the 101 every day, it sucked. Traffic here in Colorado does not compare to Southern California's at all. It's not even close.

LA, yes. SD, that is a different story, it is very easy to get around in SD non rush hour it's twenty minutes from any where to anywhere else.

Bronco LB52
09-24-2009, 11:25 AM
Ed Roski is a part owner of the Kings and Lakers..and does own the Kings with AEG and Phillip Anschutz (who owns Staples Center and LA Live). If anyone has been to Staples Center recently, would say that downtown LA has turned around from where it was 10 years ago. Roski isn't just building a stadium ...he's building spaces for restaurants, entertainment theater for concerts, retail shops, etc. Roski is going to make a ****load from this project.

Project Site Statistics

* Total Square Acreage: 592
* Stadium (with Team Facilities): 75,000 Seats, including 11,000 Club seats and 175 Suites
* Office Buildings: 1.49 million sq ft
* Retail Shops: 833,000 sq ft
* Restaurants: 162,000 sq ft
* Live Theater: 5,000 seats (60,000 sq ft)
* Movie Theater: 1,200 seats (60,000 sq ft)
* Green and non-parking Open Space: 271 acres

Exactly! Nobody went to downtown LA in the 1980s and 1990s. The Staples completely revitalized the southern part of the downtown area and the arena is not that far away from the ghetto now, but it doesn't stop Jack Nicholson and other celebs from going. Heck, celebs drive all the way to Carson to watch David Beckham play soccer!

The Dodgers and Angels have averaged 40K fans per game for five years running now for a sport that a good chunk of people feel is boring. It's common for people to sit in traffic for an hour trying to get out of Dodger Stadium but that doesn't stop people from going. USC averaged 86K fans last year at the Coliseum, a venue that many characterize as a dump in a bad neighborhood. The LA sporting scene has changed since the Rams and Raiders were last there.

You bring up a great point about Roski building an entertainment complex that will appeal to the masses. It's going to work to his advantage. If you are a guy who wants to go to the football game with your buddies, you can still bring your wife and she can shop and eat all afternoon with her girlfriends. I don't see the inconvenience factor of driving out there as that big of a deal as Rohirrim claims. The freeway is going to go there straight shot and nobody is going to have to drive through a ghetto to get there. It's going to be a happening place where people are going to want to be seen.

I have no doubt it's going to be a success. Roski is a shrewd businessman. There are 20 million people in the greater LA area and Roski is going to find enough people who will fill his 70K seat stadium eight times a year. I don't think a few disgruntled rich people in west LA are going to make that much of a difference.

Rohirrim
09-24-2009, 11:36 AM
The Rams would be the best fit. There are a whole bunch of Rams fans out there who were abandoned by The Biatch and probably would be very happy to have "their" team back.

underrated29
09-24-2009, 11:48 AM
why is it a team moving.?

I heard on the radio that LA is trying to get 2 new teams. Maybe the stadium is where these 2 teams will play.

how that will work and or affect the schedule i have no clue.

boltaneer
09-24-2009, 11:55 AM
why is it a team moving.?

I heard on the radio that LA is trying to get 2 new teams. Maybe the stadium is where these 2 teams will play.

how that will work and or affect the schedule i have no clue.

No way do they throw two new teams in the league and both in the same city. Everyone is worried that one team may not draw enough support in LA.

The league is set up nicely with 32 teams and 4 teams per division. Throw in two new teams and you screw up that perfect setup that they have.

24champ
09-24-2009, 12:00 PM
The Rams would be the best fit. There are a whole bunch of Rams fans out there who were abandoned by The Biatch and probably would be very happy to have "their" team back.

One less concern is that it wouldn't mess up the league alignment. Plus an LA Rams team wouldn't have to travel far to play divisional teams like Seattle, San Fransisco, and Arizona. Makes a lot of sense.

Tombstone RJ
09-24-2009, 12:22 PM
Bwaaaa haaa haaa! If the Rams move back to LA!

St. Louis is such a failure of a town for the NFL. Two teams move in (Chicago Cardinals move to St. Louis and the LA Rams move to St. Louis) and two teams move out.

St. Louis is a Cardinals town, period. I'm not even sure if the Blues fill up their home games...

OBF1
09-24-2009, 01:03 PM
There are still alot of Ram's fan in SoCal. Would make the most sense, but I still think that the San Diego is on the way here.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
09-24-2009, 01:34 PM
They won't create two new teams when existing teams are having trouble making money. It just doesn't make sense.

It would also ruin the even divisions, screw up the scheduling system, playoff system...

I think Jacksonville is most likely. Move KC to the AFC South, Jagwads come to LA and join the AFC West. Although I'm not certain they'd be willing to destroy the historic rivalry.

Second most likely is the Raiders. When Al dies, all bets are off. But he's already undead, so...

Jason in LA
09-24-2009, 01:43 PM

You live out here, you know what the traffic is like. The 10 and the 60 freeways would be a nightmare. No thanks.

Irish Stout
09-24-2009, 01:44 PM

This is correct. As much as we despise the queefs and their mullet headed fans, they have a great solid fan base. They will not lose it and they will not move regardless of the product on the field... plus they just did a huge renovation on their facilities and stadium. They're staying put for awhile.

HILife
09-24-2009, 01:45 PM

hhmmmm LA Broncos. I wonder if they move to LA, will it be easier to get the games on the east coast?

Jason in LA
09-24-2009, 01:46 PM
I haven't been thru that area in a long time but my guess is that it's centrally located to millions of people who live in the sardine can you guys call home. ;D

It would be a long painful drive for everybody. I'd say either put the stadium in LA or OC. But this middle point doesn't make sense to me. Why would anybody build anything in the Inland Empire?

Jason in LA
09-24-2009, 01:52 PM

That area is no longer available. Carson is building a shopping mall there.

I do agree that a lot of folks aren't going to drive out to the City of Industry.

24champ
09-24-2009, 01:53 PM
It would be a long painful drive for everybody. I'd say either put the stadium in LA or OC. But this middle point doesn't make sense to me. Why would anybody build anything in the Inland Empire?

It wouldn't be painful for Sunday afternoon games, or Sunday Night games.

Definitely would be painful for Monday Night games.

Jason in LA
09-24-2009, 02:00 PM
Are you kidding me? The traffic is already unbearable at 10 and 405.

In a perfect world, it would be great to have a football stadium there, but there would have been an insurmountable amount of lawsuits and roadblocks.

First off, he owned the land in the City of Industry where he built the new stadium upon. In this case, no eminent domain was involved.

Second, he knew the City of Industry was a small community that didn't have many interests or demands. A NFL stadium in their community is like a godsend to them. Who the **** visits City of Industry in the first place? They could be easily won over compared to trying to appease everybody in Los Angeles.

I don't think the stadium location is bad at all. It gives fans from Orange County and the Inland Empire as easy of access to the games as the football fans of Los Angeles. I don't think a 20 minute drive from downtown Los Angeles is going to be a turnoff for them. The NFL is an event. This isn't 81 home date MLB or 41 home date basketball we are talking about.

I agree with you except for the final paragraph. It's going to be a lot longer than a 20 minute drive from Downtown LA on a game day. The freeway is already crowded, even on a Sunday. It's a 20 minute drive like after 9pm.

It also isn't a short drive for anybody in the OC. The only people who will be able to get their easily will be the folks in the IE. Do they really expect the IE to support an NFL team?

They tried to put it centrally located so everybody can go there, but the way I see it, they put it out of reach from a lot of people that they want to attract.

Hogan11
09-24-2009, 02:10 PM
There is a new stadium proposal here in San Diego that was announced a couple of days ago that has real promise. We'll see where that leads.

Where are they looking at putting it this time?

24champ
09-24-2009, 02:14 PM
Where are they looking at putting it this time?

Bolt is referring to this...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/09/22/promising-plan-for-chargers-stadium-emerges/

gyldenlove
09-24-2009, 02:17 PM
Does anyone think the Viqueens are on the move? Aside from all the NFC North rivalries there is no reason to have a team in Minnesota, they are having a lot of problems selling out and the barn they have is pathetic.

Jacksonville isn't moving to LA, if they go anywhere it will be Texas or Alabama (with Vegas being a very far outsider).

Sandy Eggo is a candidate team, they can't sell out and that was while they were in the hunt for the playoffs, imagine how hard it will be to drag Sandy eggoers out to see the Chuggers get hammered.

Popps
09-24-2009, 02:27 PM
Bwaaaa haaa haaa! If the Rams move back to LA!

St. Louis is such a failure of a town for the NFL. Two teams move in (Chicago Cardinals move to St. Louis and the LA Rams move to St. Louis) and two teams move out.

St. Louis is a Cardinals town, period. I'm not even sure if the Blues fill up their home games...

St. Louis is definitely a baseball town, but they've supported the Blues well over the years... considering that we haven't had a viable competitor out there in ages. The new ownership gutted the team a few years back, and is only now starting to show signs of being competitive. I think the amount of support the Blues have received is on-par with managements efforts over the years. It's actually a good hockey town.

As for the football Cardinals, they were a joke. Bidwell refused to spend any money on the team, and they routinely put out a crap product. (With the exception of a couple of Jim Hart-era teams.) By the early 80s, everyone knew the Big Red was gone, so support dwindled.

Hogan11
09-24-2009, 02:29 PM
Bolt is referring to this...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/09/22/promising-plan-for-chargers-stadium-emerges/

Ahh I see...they should do it and rename the team the Southern California Chargers of Oceanside :rofl:

missingnumber7
09-24-2009, 02:34 PM
Does anyone think the Viqueens are on the move? Aside from all the NFC North rivalries there is no reason to have a team in Minnesota, they are having a lot of problems selling out and the barn they have is pathetic.

Still have to much of a lease with the Dome, plus the league put big stopps when McCombs tried to move them to Texas...Vikes are staying in Minn and they don't have problems selling home games out...in fact I think they have only had one that I can remember being blacked out in the last 3 years.

TexanBob
09-24-2009, 03:55 PM
The Walnut Saints.

Drew Brees.
Reggie Bush.

You know Dancin' Tom Benson wants a way out of New Orleans despite promises to the Louisiana legislature. Their fan base was tiny to start with and then, after Katrina, less than half have come back.

CHANGSTER
09-24-2009, 04:14 PM
Chargers makes the most sense with the local stadium issues and location. It wouldn't be a big difference to an average fans since they go to a game maybe once a year. Whats adding a could hours drive once a year. Plus they would still probably televise most of the games over here anyways. Having a somewhat developed fan base a couple hours south would go a long way to its success.

Most of all, it would take most of the Charger crap off my local news making it watchable again.

boltaneer
09-24-2009, 04:23 PM
You guys who keep saying the Chargers need to read up on Roski and Spanos. The Chargers make NO sense for this particular stadium that Roski is planning on building.

Miss I.
09-24-2009, 04:45 PM
My vote is the Rams as a likely fit, but who knows. Isn' t the only time those guys won a superbowl ring was a St. Louis team? And that was way more recent that KC's Superbowl (though I cannot ever see KC anywhere but KC). I had heard the rumors of Minnesota but that seems unlikely. And I hope to hell the Raiders never go back there. I lived there when both teams were there...the Raiders may have won, but they were not well liked, I am fairly certain by deep and abiding hatred of them comes from growing up in LA with that. Though to be honest when growing up there most people I knew were either Rams or Steelers fans. I say Rams are the most likely. Don't think the Chargers will go there. Though I thought I heard or read somewhere something about the 49ers maybe having to move, at the time to like San Jose or something and being forced to give up the SF part of their name. Maybe they could be the California 49ers and move to LA (though again, not holding my breath).

Baba Booey
09-24-2009, 05:13 PM
Jacksonville

No1BroncoFan
09-24-2009, 05:48 PM
Move KC to the AFC South, Jagwads come to LA and join the AFC West.
Why do so many people assume the NFL would re-align anything? Re-alignment has never been high on their priority list. Just look at how long Atlanta played in the NFC West or the Bucs in the NFC Central. Re-alignment in the NFL is a once in twenty year kinda thing.

Personally, I'd love to see the Rams back in LA.

Ben

El Minion
09-24-2009, 06:31 PM

Nothing makes better sense then putting the stadium at or near downtown LA. All the major sporting venues are there: Dodger, Lakers, Clippers, USC with the Bruins nearby in Pasadena all with major freeway access and centrally located for easy and short trip access to fans in San Fernando Valley, San Gabriel, eastern LA, southern LA and the moneyed fans in western LA. Driving to Anaheim was a pain and driving to the inland Empire would be no different and probably worse with the heat and lack of amenities in and around the area. In fact I think it would be like Disney land, yes the rides are fun but every thing else would be crappy and too expensive.

Bronco LB52
09-24-2009, 08:42 PM
I agree with you except for the final paragraph. It's going to be a lot longer than a 20 minute drive from Downtown LA on a game day. The freeway is already crowded, even on a Sunday. It's a 20 minute drive like after 9pm.

It also isn't a short drive for anybody in the OC. The only people who will be able to get their easily will be the folks in the IE. Do they really expect the IE to support an NFL team?

They tried to put it centrally located so everybody can go there, but the way I see it, they put it out of reach from a lot of people that they want to attract.

The City of Industry is located in Los Angeles County. I wouldn't exactly characterize it as an Inland Empire community.

Inland Empire has some big towns with over 100K, i.e. Ontario, Riverside, San Bernardino, Rancho Cucamonga, Moreno Valley. Since most people there have to drive an hour west to enjoy urban amenities, I think it's a good place to sell lower priced seats to the Average Joes. This stadium is probably one of the best things to ever happen to the IE.

Jason in LA
09-24-2009, 10:23 PM
It wouldn't be painful for Sunday afternoon games, or Sunday Night games.

Definitely would be painful for Monday Night games.

There is traffic on both the 10 and 60 going to the IE on a Sunday afternoon. Add a game and there will be even more traffic.

Durango
09-24-2009, 10:32 PM

He also has a stadium contract through 2025 that would take about a half a billion dollars to break or buy out.

Jason in LA
09-24-2009, 10:38 PM
The City of Industry is located in Los Angeles County. I wouldn't exactly characterize it as an Inland Empire community.

Inland Empire has some big towns with over 100K, i.e. Ontario, Riverside, San Bernardino, Rancho Cucamonga, Moreno Valley. Since most people there have to drive an hour west to enjoy urban amenities, I think it's a good place to sell lower priced seats to the Average Joes. This stadium is probably one of the best things to ever happen to the IE.

I don't know the exact borders, but anything past the 605 freeway is the IE to me. Hell, I don't cross the 5 going east on the 10 that often. That's by design.

Ontario, Riverside, or anything else in San Bernardino, no thanks. The only time I drive through those parts is when I'm going to Big Bear to go snowboarding, and I usually don't stop in those areas. Only other reason to drive through there is going to Vegas.

There should be a sign on the 10 when you get to the IE that says "Have fun in Las Vegas".

24champ
09-24-2009, 10:47 PM
There is traffic on both the 10 and 60 going to the IE on a Sunday afternoon. Add a game and there will be even more traffic.

There's traffic at most Stadiums in the country. Even here in Denver, it's a b*tch sitting in traffic on I-25 south after a game. People will put up with it, people will still go...hell people drive 3 hours to work and 3 hours back home over there.

Jason in LA
09-24-2009, 10:51 PM
Nothing makes better sense then putting the stadium at or near downtown LA. All the major sporting venues are there: Dodger, Lakers, Clippers, USC with the Bruins nearby in Pasadena all with major freeway access and centrally located for easy and short trip access to fans in San Fernando Valley, San Gabriel, eastern LA, southern LA and the moneyed fans in western LA. Driving to Anaheim was a pain and driving to the inland Empire would be no different and probably worse with the heat and lack of amenities in and around the area. In fact I think it would be like Disney land, yes the rides are fun but every thing else would be crappy and too expensive.

I totally agree.

Exposition Park was a perfect location for a new stadium. Tear down the Coliseum, but keep the peristyle and torch area and build a brand new stadium around it. The stadium being in a rough area was not a factor. People love to over blow that. A number of sports teams have played in Exposition Park without major problems. USC is a great example of that.

But that plan couldn't get off the ground because of the Coliseum commission, USC, and because the city pretty much told the NFL that if they wanted a new stadium in LA they would have to pay for it themselves.

The Carson plan was okay, but I was always in favor of a new Coliseum. But if there was a choice between Carson and the IE, it's Carson in a second! But that plan is pretty much gone. They are now building a shopping center at that site.

With a new Coliseum and some up grades between it and the 10 freeway, the Figueroa Corridor would have been off the hook. With LA Live and the Staple Center at the north end, a new Coliseum at the south end, and all kind of new shops restaurants in between.

Jason in LA
09-24-2009, 10:53 PM
There's traffic at most Stadiums in the country. Even here in Denver, it's a b*tch sitting in traffic on I-25 south after a game. People will put up with it, people will still go...hell people drive 3 hours to work and 3 hours back home over there.

If they built it in the city a lot of people wouldn't have to deal with traffic. Sorry, I'm not going to want to sit in traffic to go to the IE. I don't like going out there in general.

24champ
09-24-2009, 11:02 PM
If they built it in the city a lot of people wouldn't have to deal with traffic. Sorry, I'm not going to want to sit in traffic to go to the IE. I don't like going out there in general.

That's your prerogative...but I highly doubt there will be problems getting 75k to the stadium for gamedays. It's one day trip, most people in Socal drive great lengths to different places in Socal.

El Minion
09-25-2009, 05:29 PM
I totally agree.

Exposition Park was a perfect location for a new stadium. Tear down the Coliseum, but keep the peristyle and torch area and build a brand new stadium around it. The stadium being in a rough area was not a factor. People love to over blow that. A number of sports teams have played in Exposition Park without major problems. USC is a great example of that.

But that plan couldn't get off the ground because of the Coliseum commission, USC, and because the city pretty much told the NFL that if they wanted a new stadium in LA they would have to pay for it themselves.

The Carson plan was okay, but I was always in favor of a new Coliseum. But if there was a choice between Carson and the IE, it's Carson in a second! But that plan is pretty much gone. They are now building a shopping center at that site.

With a new Coliseum and some up grades between it and the 10 freeway, the Figueroa Corridor would have been off the hook. With LA Live and the Staple Center at the north end, a new Coliseum at the south end, and all kind of new shops restaurants in between.

The problem is the Coliseum because there are to many chefs in its kitchen, the hydra monster of local, county and state control of the stadium. Getting the Coliseum torn down or extensively remodeled is ideal but a non-starter, let SC have it because the preservationist will fight till the second coming not to have it architecturally modified. just look how long Steve Jobs had to fight to have the Jackling House removed.

If an owner or ownership group can get tacit approval that all the necessary permits and zoning laws would be fast tracked for approval then I think all you need is at least a 20-30 acre site for the stadium and another 100-300 acres for parking and ancillary retail development to separate football fans from their money. i don't know of many open or available land that is 200-300 acres at or near Downtown LA, maybe somewhere near the shipping yards by Union Station. Dodger stadium is on 300 acres and could easily have 2 stadiums in Chavez Ravine with plenty of space for parking and retail development.

Just look at it:

cutthemdown
09-25-2009, 06:37 PM
I can get to Industry just as easy and downtown LA from Long Beach.

broncocalijohn
09-25-2009, 10:54 PM

The witch of the west moved out to mid west and now she is gone forever. I might take them back as my second team. Going out towards that area that can be a total nightmare from OC. What teams might go besides Rams? Jags, Bills, Chokeland and Chargers. Minnesota used to be in that group but not sure anymore. I wouldnt want Favre out here so they can move out once he really retires.

Archer81
09-25-2009, 11:03 PM
I see a few possibilities of teams that could move. The Jaguars, Chargers, Rams and the dark horse team...the 49ers.

:Broncos: