PDA

View Full Version : Pears will start at left guard...for Raiders

HEAV
09-23-2009, 08:59 PM
;D

By Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer
Wednesday, September 23rd, 2009 at 3:17 pm in Oakland Raiders.

Rather than create change at two positions, Raiders coach Tom Cable said Wednesday Erik Pears will replace Robert Gallery at left guard when Oakland hosts the Denver Broncos.

Cable said Pears has every position along the offensive line in the NFL, but the only game action has been at right and left tackle, where he had 26 starts with Denver in 2006 and 2007. Pears had seven starts at guard for the Cologne Centurions of NFL Europe in 2005.

Starting Pears at guard will enable to keep Chris Morris at center.

“I think one move rather than two is the way I felt,” Cable said. “That was the deciding factor.”

It’s another indication that Samson Satele, acquired by trade (the Raiders gave up a sixth round pick and swapped fourth-round selections) from Miami in the offseason to replace Jake Grove, has fallen far below expectations.

Morris is considered more versatile and better at making line calls and sight adjustments, something which will be crucial against a Denver 3-4 defense which Cable said can send pressure from different angles.

http://www.ibabuzz.com/oaklandraiders/2009/09/23/pears-will-start-at-left-guard/

underrated29
09-23-2009, 10:03 PM
Pears sucked balls for us at LT. Doom and Ayers are going to eat him alive. Either that or they have to bring Zac the TE in to help. Which favors us even more as he is their best receiving weapon.

Killericon
09-23-2009, 10:33 PM
Pears sucked balls for us at LT. Doom and Ayers are going to eat him alive. Either that or they have to bring Zac the TE in to help. Which favors us even more as he is their best receiving weapon.

No way. He was good as an LT filling in for Lepsis, and then he sucked as an RT.

listopencil
09-23-2009, 10:39 PM
Didn't he play at the same time as Foster? Because Foster made everybody else look great.

cutthemdown
09-23-2009, 10:55 PM

Well as a guard he will spend more time going against Fields and Peterson/Mcbean. The LT/RT will get plenty of Doom

BroncoBuff
09-23-2009, 11:14 PM
Does Cornell Green still start for them too?

Their personnel and cap situations are nothing short of laughable.

Bob's your Information Minister
09-23-2009, 11:28 PM
Does Cornell Green still start for them too?

Cornell Green is a lot better than you think.

The right side of Oakland's line - Carlisle and Green - ****ed up the Chargers' front seven.

KC did good against the run but the pass rush sucked.

cutthemdown
09-23-2009, 11:50 PM
Cornell Green is a lot better than you think.

The right side of Oakland's line - Carlisle and Green - ****ed up the Chargers' front seven.

KC did good against the run but the pass rush sucked.

Broncos just have a really confident defense right now. It has a lot of leadership now in Dawkins and a healthy Bailey.

I still think Broncos and Raiders not that far apart so it will be a close game. But Russell just looks horrible. It's beyond decision making to the point even when he picks right target you never know were ball will go.

Broncos pretty big upfront, it will be interesting to see how game goes. You know Broncos will throw ball at least 30 times. The question is will that produce points that make Raiders have to throw ball as well.

I'm not sure with Gallery out Raiders will be very good inside. Pears from what I remember not very guard like at all.

thumpc
09-24-2009, 12:53 AM
Pears made 1st team all europe at RG.

watermock
09-24-2009, 12:56 AM
Gawd, I can't believe that Russell fatass was taken first.

Raiders have alot of speed outside in McFadden and Fargis.

watermock
09-24-2009, 12:58 AM
Pears made 1st team all europe at RG.

I kinda like the new coach in raiderworld.

I doubt he's much worse than Hamilton at this point.

cutthemdown
09-24-2009, 01:30 AM
Isn't Pears like 6-7? Seems a little to tall for the leverage needed in the run game inside. Pass blocking probably not a big deal but IMO 6-8 and if I remember sort of an upright type player, doesn't seem like a fit inside.

In any event Gallery was really blossoming as a gaurd. Losing him a huge blow to Raiders line.

Notice how much better we got with Kuper back out there. It's tough losing your best inline, inside blocker.

cutthemdown
09-24-2009, 01:32 AM
I kinda like the new coach in raiderworld.

I doubt he's much worse than Hamilton at this point.

I thought Hamilton rebounded really well. He will have hands full with Raiders dline though. Thats probably where they will attack us inside. Right between Wiegman and Hamilton.

UberBroncoMan
09-24-2009, 01:37 AM
All I remember is us saying how bad JaMarcus was (and he was quite bad) and then he did what he needed to do in a Denver ass kicking at our place.

He went 10-11 152 yards 1TD 0INT 0SCK 0FUM and a 149.1 QB rating...

For kicks, the first game against us he had a 111.1 QB rating which included 2 TD's 0INT's and a 65.4 completion % as well (granted it was helped by us just playing prevent the entire 2nd half).

Point being... while JaMarcus is the epitome of a ****ty 1st pick... every so often he shows up and does what's needed to get a win.

The Joker
09-24-2009, 04:57 AM
All I remember is us saying how bad JaMarcus was (and he was quite bad) and then he did what he needed to do in a Denver ass kicking at our place.

He went 10-11 152 yards 1TD 0INT 0SCK 0FUM and a 149.1 QB rating...

For kicks, the first game against us he had a 111.1 QB rating which included 2 TD's 0INT's and a 65.4 completion % as well (granted it was helped by us just playing prevent the entire 2nd half).

Point being... while JaMarcus is the epitome of a ****ty 1st pick... every so often he shows up and does what's needed to get a win.

The game at Invesco, I don't think we blitzed once the entire game.

The way to beat Russell is to get pressure on him, he's absolutely pathetic when you do that. Instead Slowik sent miserable 3 and 4 man rushes at the Raiders all day, and let them pick us apart.

It was laughable, one of the worst gameplans I've ever seen, and anyone who thinks Bob Slowik would ever have been anything more than a catastrophe of a DC for us is an idiot.

broncogary
09-24-2009, 05:09 AM
The game at Invesco, I don't think we blitzed once the entire game.

The way to beat Russell is to get pressure on him, he's absolutely pathetic when you do that. Instead Slowik sent miserable 3 and 4 man rushes at the Raiders all day, and let them pick us apart.

It was laughable, one of the worst gameplans I've ever seen, and anyone who thinks Bob Slowik would ever have been anything more than a catastrophe of a DC for us is an idiot.

Agree. Even Russell can pick you apart if you don't pressure him.

GoBroncos DownUnder
09-24-2009, 05:21 AM
Gawd, I can't believe that Russell fatass was taken first.

Raiders have alot of speed outside in McFadden and Fargis.

It's McFadden and Bush, both are fast but Bush is more of a threat IMO. Fargas hasn't played this year.