PDA

View Full Version : Not complaining but... Ayers?

Doggcow
09-23-2009, 02:56 PM
Where has this kid been? I love doom tearing up but I hope we didnt waste another pick on an SEC dlineman "project" player...

He even been on the field?

Rabb
09-23-2009, 02:59 PM
he was actually in the mix a lot against the Browns, I thought he looked good

he would have had one of the sacks had Doom not beaten him to it

underrated29
09-23-2009, 03:00 PM
He has been in there quite a bit. I dont know his stats, but i have seen him and i only saw the 4th quarter of the last game.

The sack that doom got that was almost a saftey, Ayers was right there and would have finished it had doom not gotten there first. Yeah, that doesnt say much, but give the kid some time.

He has played in two games. Mario Williams his rook year only had like 3-4 sacks. Year two he erupted. Ayers has that potential (maybe not quite as high, but still solid numbers)

Hercules Rockefeller
09-23-2009, 03:02 PM
Where has this kid been? I love doom tearing up but I hope we didnt waste another pick on an SEC dlineman "project" player...

If you have to ask, then you haven't watched the games. He was half a step behind Dumervil on at least two of the sacks last week and getting pressure on other passing plays even though he was lined up against Joe Thomas.

Greatspirits
09-23-2009, 03:02 PM
They're bringing Ayers along slowly, He'll get better as the season goes on!

Doggcow
09-23-2009, 03:03 PM
He has been in there quite a bit. I dont know his stats, but i have seen him and i only saw the 4th quarter of the last game.

The sack that doom got that was almost a saftey, Ayers was right there and would have finished it had doom not gotten there first. Yeah, that doesnt say much, but give the kid some time.

He has played in two games. Mario Williams his rook year only had like 3-4 sacks. Year two he erupted. Ayers has that potential (maybe not quite as high, but still solid numbers)

Ok cool. I had to watch the game at the bar (harder to pay attention to everyone since I was with friends watching different games too.) was just hoping he wasn't already benched. Hopefully he turns into super Mario tho....

Dr. Broncenstein
09-23-2009, 03:10 PM
He flashed against Cleveland... got significant pressure on some plays, going against Joe Thomas. There may be hope.

Mr. Elway
09-23-2009, 03:10 PM
I have been relieved to see the flashes so far we have all been hoping for. He is raw but we should see some mistakes and some plays throughout the year from him.

I also seem to remember a 3rd down play last week near our goal line where he dropped back and covered well, and thinking that it looked like he played it well.

barryr
09-23-2009, 03:20 PM
Ayers was a late bloomer in college, so I think it's great he's even in the rotation. I remember Trevor Pryce barely playing as a rookie.

Hercules Rockefeller
09-23-2009, 03:21 PM
I remember Trevor Pryce barely playing as a rookie.

He was almost cut during camp and was deactivated the first half of the season

Irish Stout
09-23-2009, 03:31 PM
Ayers was a late bloomer in college, so I think it's great he's even in the rotation. I remember Trevor Pryce barely playing as a rookie.

Speaking of Pryce - did you guys see the ad he purchased in the Denver Post thanking the fans for electing him to the 50 year team? Class act and a real loss for the organization when we let him go.

Hercules Rockefeller
09-23-2009, 03:38 PM
Speaking of Pryce - did you guys see the ad he purchased in the Denver Post thanking the fans for electing him to the 50 year team? Class act and a real loss for the organization when we let him go.

That's awesome. What day was it?

Flex Gunmetal
09-23-2009, 03:40 PM
That's awesome. What day was it?

Monday.
http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2009/09/21/classy-gesture-by-trevor-pryce/
Very cool.

PRBronco
09-23-2009, 03:50 PM
Yeah if you watch the Doom highlights, Ayers is in most of them too. In one play Quinn runs right into Joe Thomas because Ayers pushed him so far back. He also busts out a sweet spin move on St. Clair on the botched snap play.

Rock Chalk
09-23-2009, 03:52 PM

Sir, I suggest you start watching the games.

easymobee
09-23-2009, 04:06 PM
If Dumervil didnt get the sack at the goal line against Cleveland, Ayers would've had it 0.5 seconds later. He's been on the field.

No offense to the original poster, but if you didn't have the oppurtunity to watch/pay attention to the game closely due to your personal circumstances .... why start a thread with a "did he even see the field" kicker added?
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

TheDave
09-23-2009, 04:25 PM
It's funny that we have to start with the disclaimer "Not complaining but..." these days... ;D

SouthStndJunkie
09-23-2009, 04:28 PM
Monday.
http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2009/09/21/classy-gesture-by-trevor-pryce/
Very cool.

Props to Trevor.

GoHAM
09-23-2009, 06:07 PM
Trevor Pryce getting released did almost as much damage to our defense as Al getting hurt. Wish he still wore the orange and blue.

mhgaffney
09-23-2009, 06:17 PM
The claim for Ayers is that he brings pressure -- but don't expect a lot of sacks.

That's fine by me. Pressure by Ayers will help others get the sacks and picks.

Give him time.

RhymesayersDU
09-23-2009, 06:31 PM
You can't spell bust without A-Y-E-R-S.

Put your flames away, uber fans. I kid.

cutthemdown
09-23-2009, 06:33 PM
Shanny made a big mistake letting Reggie Hayward go, and letting Pryce go, and maybe Bert Berry.

Then he neglected defense in the draft except for a couple yrs where he tried to find some players.

rastaman
09-23-2009, 06:49 PM

The draft is a crap shoot! Everyone knows this. Remember, Ayers only turned it on and played well last year! Sometimes when a player player turns it on in their Junior or Senior year, that should send up warning signs. Where were they in term of talent, effort for the 2 or 3 years. Why couldn't Ayers sustain the level of play he showed for just one year done so for two or three years? It may turn out to be no big deal and Ayers is just adjusting to going up against quicker and stronger players. However if Ayers isn't making improvements and impact....it maybe due to the same work ethic and lack of effort he displayed while in college for two or three years. Sometimes old habits are hard to break.

rastaman
09-23-2009, 06:55 PM
Trevor Pryce getting released did almost as much damage to our defense as Al getting hurt. Wish he still wore the orange and blue.

I remember when Pryce was let go and the sentiments of some fans were..good ridence. Meaning if Trevor wasn't willing to renegoticate his contract ....screw him or we don't need him.

Last time I checked, Pryce continues to start for the Ravens today in 2009.

cutthemdown
09-23-2009, 07:04 PM
I remember when Pryce was let go and the sentiments of some fans were..good ridence. Meaning if Trevor wasn't willing to renegoticate his contract ....screw him or we don't need him.

Yeah but it wasn't the fans who let all those players walk. if it was up to us we would have signed Albert Haynesworth, kept Cutler, still got all these defensive guys, and drafted Moreno, traded Selvin Young to Bears for 2 first round picks and Orton to be the bkup, build a stadium even bigger then the cowboys etc etc.

Shanny made all those calls and in the end the defense stunk and it cost him his job, period, end of story.

Beantown Bronco
09-23-2009, 07:11 PM
Instant gratification society.

Bertrand Berry was garbage for 4 seasons before it "clicked".
Justin Tuck? Sucked for his first few years.
The list goes on.

We've only played two freaking games.....

rugbythug
09-23-2009, 07:17 PM
The Spin move he put on Stienbech was enough for me to know the kid can play.

tsiguy96
09-23-2009, 07:20 PM
The draft is a crap shoot! Everyone knows this. Remember, Ayers only turned it on and played well last year! Sometimes when a player player turns it on in their Junior or Senior year, that should send up warning signs. Where were they in term of talent, effort for the 2 or 3 years. Why couldn't Ayers sustain the level of play he showed for just one year done so for two or three years? It may turn out to be no big deal and Ayers is just adjusting to going up against quicker and stronger players. However if Ayers isn't making improvements and impact....it maybe due to the same work ethic and lack of effort he displayed while in college for two or three years. Sometimes old habits are hard to break.

thats so stupid to say that since he wasnt great until his senior year that he didnt try until then. maybe his senior year is when everything clicked on how to be a good pass rusher?

Popps
09-23-2009, 07:46 PM
From what I understand, Ayers was just coming into his own his senior season. He's right in the thick of what should be a developmental curve that may take another year to pan out.

Again, I think it's very encouraging that he's seeing so much time already, personally. Rarely, if ever do NFL D-linemen (or 3-4 OLBs) burst onto the scene. It happens, but it's rare.

I think we'll know about this time next year if we're looking at a good pick or not. He's played smart so far, no big plays... but he must be making a nice impression on the staff to be out there early and often.

Obviously, this staff has a decent eye for putting things together. At least it would appear that way so far. Thus, them feeling Ayers is ready for snaps this quickly strikes me as a good thing.

Fingers crossed on this guy. If he develops into a force, it's truly game-on for this defense.

broncswin
09-23-2009, 08:06 PM

Did you watch the game, he was in there a couple times with doom sacking the qb....he got action in the redzone as well. Give it a little time atleast, this guy is gonna be good.:yayaya:

peacepipe
09-23-2009, 09:04 PM
Shanny made a big mistake letting Reggie Hayward go, and letting Pryce go, and maybe Bert Berry.

Then he neglected defense in the draft except for a couple yrs where he tried to find some players.
Geeez,He never did much after he left but yet it was a mistake. You say that as if he went onto consecutive pro bowls since then. He'sgot less than 18 sacks since he left in '04

kappys
09-23-2009, 09:05 PM
Unlike Jarvis Moss(who actually looked almost average in the couple plays I noticed him in) Ayers has moves. The spin is clear evidence, he is strong with a good bull rush, and seems to understand how to use his arms to keep O-lineman from getting a hold of him. He already looks to have nailed down the role of rush linebacker. What remains to be seen is if he can bring a complete game and provide enough support in the run game to be a full time starter. At the very least I think he'll develop into an excellent pass rusher.

TheDave
09-23-2009, 09:16 PM
Unlike Jarvis Moss(who actually looked almost average in the couple plays I noticed him in) Ayers has moves. The spin is clear evidence, he is strong with a good bull rush, and seems to understand how to use his arms to keep O-lineman from getting a hold of him. He already looks to have nailed down the role of rush linebacker. What remains to be seen is if he can bring a complete game and provide enough support in the run game to be a full time starter. At the very least I think he'll develop into an excellent pass rusher.

I've actually been very impressed with his ability to play the run... He's strong at the point of attack and like you said he knows how to keep linemen off of him.

It's his awareness in coverage that has me concerned. I think he can get it, but right now he is absolutely lost.

ZONA
09-23-2009, 09:20 PM
If Dumervil didnt get the sack at the goal line against Cleveland, Ayers would've had it 0.5 seconds later. He's been on the field.

No offense to the original poster, but if you didn't have the oppurtunity to watch/pay attention to the game closely due to your personal circumstances .... why start a thread with a "did he even see the field" kicker added?
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

and to be totally fair, it looked like Ayers slowed up a bit because he saw Doom right there and didn't want to collide into him. If he didn't slow down, it looked like he could have been there at the same time.

rastaman
09-23-2009, 09:31 PM
thats so stupid to say that since he wasnt great until his senior year that he didnt try until then. maybe his senior year is when everything clicked on how to be a good pass rusher?

Its not stupid its just an observation. Hard to imagine that a guy on a scholarship took 4 years to finally click or bloom. But it isn't to say it didn't happen. After all no one in the OM was filming Ayers practices/games prior to his senior year to see the effort and progress Ayers was making.

BroncoMan4ever
09-23-2009, 10:55 PM

look at the Cleveland game. he was getting decent pressure coming from Thomas' side. he was pushing Thomas into the backfield and was close to getting through for sacks, just a second or 2 behind Doom. also, the way he was playing, had he been lined up over St Clair, we would be singing his praises right now.

enjolras
09-24-2009, 12:13 AM
I'm watching the game again right now... starting with the Browns second possession of the second half:

- Ayers dropped back in coverage and did really well. Took away the tight end, although Quinn completed a long'ish pass to Edwards.
- He was lined up strong side over tight-end. Pushed his man into the back field and helped to blow up a running play (he was mostly responsible really)
- Lined up weakside on 3rd and long, dropped into zone.. no one to cover really. Had a good spy on the back coming out of the backfield (incomplete pass by Quinn led to punt)

** didn't appear to play at all on next CLE possession **

- 2nd and 17. Lined up over slot receiver. Was slow off the ball, but once he made contact with the the linemen was very effective at pushing him into the backfield. (Dumervil sacked Quinn, definitely an assist from Ayers. His motor looked really lacking on that play, however)
- 3rd and really long. Lined up weak side, made a strong move inside and spun around the tackle. Dumervil almost gets a safety, but Ayers has a clean shot at Quinn if he doesn't.

- 1st and 10. Lined up weak side. Stood up at the line by the tackle never broke away. Pretty ineffective on that rush.
- 2nd and 3, lined up same side and dropped into pass coverage. The play was a quick hitter to the opposite side so it was really hard to see what happened.
- 3rd and 1. Lined up weak side. Pretty well handled by the tackle on a drop back pass. He did move the tackle back a bit, but definitely didn't win that battle (Dumervil sacked Quinn to force a punt)

now it's garbage time.

- 1st and 10. Beat a double team with a really nice spin move and got a shot at Quinn just after he got the pass away.
- 2nd and 1. Tried to swim inside the tackle but got stood up. Again did a good job of moving the tackle into the back field, but never broke contain. Quinn had a lot of time and completed a 10 yard pass.
- 1st and 10. He looks really tired at this point. Is double teamed, tries a spin move, not much here.
- 2nd and 10. Looks REALLY gassed. Standing up over the tackle. Dropped into coverage and picked up the receiver on a crossing route. Showed some good athleticism there and took the route away, although the pass was never going his way.
- 3rd and 10. Switched sides. 1-on-1 with the left tackle. Again, pushed him into the backfield and made Quinn uncomfortable. Never broke away, however. Longish pass for a first down.
- 1st and 10. Same side. Double teamed by tackle and back coming out of the back field. Spun inside and was pretty badly held.
- 2 and 10. Looks REALLY REALLY tired. Again pushed tackle into backfield. Had a really good chance at a sack but he couldn't detach his hands from the blocker.

*** ball game ***

Based on watching him closely, I would say he was very effective in this game. The combination of Ayers and Dumervil seemed to get a lot of pressure.

Ayers is clearly really strong and physically matched up well with whoever was blocking him. His pass coverage is 100% better than the pre-season. He does have issues with getting swallowed up by blockers and is having trouble detaching, particularly getting his arms caught inside the blocker. In terms of pure physical ability he's definitely one of the best atheletes on the field. I'd like to see a bit more motor from him, and his conditioning needs some work as well. He's not yet ready to play a full NFL game....

I'm really pleased. I think he's going to be a really nice player.

watermock
09-24-2009, 12:41 AM
Sounds like he needs to get in the weight room and et some condtioning as well..

As long as he's not another Moss.

I think we got 3 starters with our picks, but our second day picks, meh. I consider Quinn a second day pick as well.

uplink
09-24-2009, 09:36 AM
Apparently the Skins are high on Orakpo, heard on a local radio station 'he is the best player this team has had in a long time'. Remember the Broncos passed on him when they took Ayers.

Hercules Rockefeller
09-24-2009, 09:41 AM
Apparently the Skins are high on Orakpo, heard on a local radio station 'he is the best player this team has had in a long time'. Remember the Broncos passed on him when they took Ayers.

They passed on Orapko to take Moreno.

Rabb
09-24-2009, 09:48 AM
the absolute key to Ayers panning out (talent aside) will be Nolan

if we can manage to keep a good (and the same) D coordinator for a few seasons to develop these guys...whoa baby, watch out

Karenin
09-24-2009, 10:19 AM

You heard it on a radio station? Well, then it's settled, Ayers is a bust, Moreno is a bust and the Broncos should have taken Orakpo, the second coming of Michael Strahan.

oubronco
09-24-2009, 10:45 AM

This place is full of them

uplink
09-24-2009, 02:47 PM
They passed on Orapko to take Moreno.

oh yeah I forgot.

BroncoMan4ever
09-24-2009, 09:16 PM
the absolute key to Ayers panning out (talent aside) will be Nolan

if we can manage to keep a good (and the same) D coordinator for a few seasons to develop these guys...whoa baby, watch out

i agree, but am slightly worried about that. if the defense keeps up at a high level of play the full season, Nolan will get HC opportunities soon and that will again have us looking for a new DC.

jutang
09-24-2009, 09:55 PM
I can't see Nolan getting another chance as a HC even if he improved the defense drastically. He had 3 1/2 seasons with the 49ers and didn't produce. Who knows if he would even want another shot at head coaching.

enjolras
09-24-2009, 10:06 PM
I can't see Nolan getting another chance as a HC even if he improved the defense drastically. He had 3 1/2 seasons with the 49ers and didn't produce. Who knows if he would even want another shot at head coaching.

see: Norv Turner

Dr. Broncenstein
09-24-2009, 10:19 PM

see: Mike Shannahan, Tom Coughlin, Bill Belichick, John Gruden... re: Superbowl champion coaches who weren't necessarily sucessfull in their first NFL head coaching gigs.

DivineBronco
09-24-2009, 10:37 PM

having Haynesworth could make Paul Toviessi look good

BroncoMan4ever
09-24-2009, 11:39 PM

many people say that and think that now, after he came off a bad showing with the 49ers. but the NFL is full of coaches who sucked in their 1st and even 2nd stints as HC only to find success later in their careers.

and considering just how terrible our defense has been the last few seasons, if Nolan in 1 season can turn that defense into a defense that is good, there are a lot of GMs and Owners that would be willing to give a guy with that kind of Defensive intelligence another shot at being their HC.

i'm not saying it is guaranteed, but it would not be a surprise if he was at least called up on interviews for HC positions in the next year or 2, especially if he has this defense playing well.

BroncoInferno
09-25-2009, 08:18 AM

Maybe Berry, but Hayward has had an injury plagued career since he left Denver.

BroncoInferno
09-25-2009, 08:26 AM
see: Mike Shannahan, Tom Coughlin, Bill Belichick, John Gruden... re: Superbowl champion coaches who weren't necessarily sucessfull in their first NFL head coaching gigs.

Gruden and Coughlin were both pretty successful in their first stops. Coughlin got the Jags to the AFC Championship game in their second season, won three straight division titles, won four playoff games, and also had a 14-2 season. Gruden won back-to-back division titles and won two playoff games.

Lev Vyvanse
09-25-2009, 09:06 AM
Gruden and Coughlin were both pretty successful in their first stops. Coughlin got the Jags to the AFC Championship game in their second season, won three straight division titles, won four playoff games, and also had a 14-2 season. Gruden won back-to-back division titles and won two playoff games.

Gruden was traded to Tampa for a crap load of draft picks. Tampa was the first team to fire him.

bowtown
09-25-2009, 09:50 AM

This is actually not even close to true. For a fraction of the price of what it would have cost to keep an aging Pryce, we were able to sign Brown and trade for Warren, Ekuban and Meyers. How did that work out? Well we almost made it to the Super Bowl. When Al went down, the defense spiraled out of control.

bowtown
09-25-2009, 09:56 AM

So has Berry, Neither of them have put out production equal to the value of the contracts they recieved.

BroncoInferno
09-25-2009, 10:11 AM
So has Berry, Neither of them have put out production equal to the value of the contracts they recieved.

Yeah. He did have 14.5 sacks in 2004, and it could be argued that that would have made a big difference for us that season, but after that he has been hurt too much to say we really missed him.

Rock Chalk
09-25-2009, 10:39 AM
This is actually not even close to true. For a fraction of the price of what it would have cost to keep an aging Pryce, we were able to sign Brown and trade for Warren, Ekuban and Meyers. How did that work out? Well we almost made it to the Super Bowl. When Al went down, the defense spiraled out of control.

This.

alkemical
09-26-2009, 10:14 AM

Andy Reid.

PRBronco
09-27-2009, 11:27 PM
Grats to Mr. Ayers on making it to the stat sheet! Didn't always know who was who on my grainy stream of the game, but I saw him get some pressure on Russell. Here's to getting in the sack column next week rook!

cutthemdown
09-27-2009, 11:33 PM

Yeah but you never know if he gets those injuries in Denver. Fact is he was a bigger starting caliber Dend who I thought showed a lot of upside when Broncos decided to cut him loose.

DivineLegion
09-27-2009, 11:36 PM
Ayers almost had a sack today...he just pushed Carlile back with his facemask. Other than that he produced consistent pressure in the second half, again helping Elvis notch two more sacks. Rooks coming on very nicely.

KevinJames
09-27-2009, 11:40 PM
I seen Ayers push back the line a few times today actually, hes coming along faster than I thought for a DL/OLB remember pass rushers take awhile, Mario Williams was thought of as a bust now hes a beast.

Doggcow
09-28-2009, 12:44 AM
I like it. Ayers has some Dwight Freeney with some Mario Williams in him.