PDA

View Full Version : The Devil is in the Details

prunch
09-23-2009, 12:35 PM
I was just rewatching the highlight video in this thread (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=84621) and noticed a lot about the specific operating basis of our team.

It seems that McD is dead set on winning specific small battles that add up to win the war.

First, the turnover battle ... if you look at the video you will see that every pass thrown had almost zero chance of being picked off ... It would have taken a horrible throw to even come near to an interception.

Orton has a 7.8 yards per attempt average so simple math would dictate that if Orton can get 50%-60% completions while throwing we will methodically move up and down the field with a little help from our running game. Having our O-line helps as covering 3-7 receivers of our calibre for more than 5 seconds is pipe dreams. We will never throw a high risk ball. We will just play the numbers and if we keep just playing the numbers we will expect to win the field position game.

This methodology means that we patiently work the ball up and down the field without looking for any highlight film plays.

And we don't need to

Statistics would then determine that we can expect to win the following statistical battles:

Turnover
Field Position
Time of Possession
penalties

All of this is supported by a competent defense. If we do not have a competent defense, this will not work and shootouts and highlight films plays are the order of the day.

But winning these 4 above statistical battles sets up the defense for as much success as the offense can set them up for.

There will be games this year that we lose due to highlight film plays a la manning against the dolphins on Monday night but playing these numbers and being patient and not attempting to play beyond our skills seem like we will win plenty.

Now we have not faced the "murderers row" of our schedule yet so we will start learning a lot more in about 11 days but I suspect that Romo will look great on the highlight film but we are in the game the fourth quarter patiently working the numbers.

McD seems to value and succeeds at enforcing discipline and patience and simple mathematical probabilities take over at that point.

KS Bronco
09-23-2009, 12:45 PM
i do like the highlight plays by our defense! creating turnovers, sacks, and dawkins lighting up receivers is just fun to watch!

Mr.Meanie
09-23-2009, 01:08 PM
Great thoughts, and I agree.

Miami seems to be built like that, and they really dominated Indy all game. A couple of improbable and ridiculously good plays by Peyton and a few others won them the game.

If our offense could play anywhere close to what Miami did in TOP, grinding out yards, letting your D rest, good field position, the odds of winning that game are overwhelmingly in your favor.

gtown
09-23-2009, 01:08 PM
Funny how we needed the highlight of higlight film plays to beat the Bungles and the best play from the Brown's game was Buck's long run (which was not really needed).

I agree with much of your analysis. Moreno was taken in the first round in hopes that we would have a better ball control offense with less pressure on Orton. That would keep the horrific defense of last year off of the field. I noticed they spent a lot of time on special teams (much more so than Shanny I believe during training camp) and it shows. Hopefully we can keep it up and continue to improve over the course of the season.

errand
09-23-2009, 01:12 PM
McD seems to value and succeeds at enforcing discipline and patience and simple mathematical probabilities take over at that point.

..and yet another similiarity between the '77 Broncos and this current team. now before some clown comes in here claiming I'm saying that this current team is gonna win the Super bowl, I have no idea if they will, but the way this team tries to accomplish the mission is similiar to the '77 Broncos.

They rarely took chances on their side of the 50, because a turnover on your side of the field usually translated in to points for the opposition.

The '77 team played only 14 games in a season instead of the current 16 we noiw play but, it didn't have a 1,000 yard rusher...in fact our leader had like 450 yards if that.

We didn't have a 3000 yard passer, nor did he throw for 20 TD's...he threw for like 2000 yards and had 13-15 TD's. We didn't have a receiver catch more than 50 passes.

What we had was a patient offense that played the percentages, made fewer mistakes than their opponents did and waited for a helluva defense to force a turnover and put pressure on the opposing team.

prunch
09-23-2009, 01:12 PM
If you notice on the highlights, Moreno had great awareness of where first down was and the was 2-2 on receptions.

Chris
09-23-2009, 01:33 PM
Great analysis. I think all our players had great awareness of the first down marker (seen with Moreno and when Stokley burst ahead for that first down).

cmhargrove
09-23-2009, 01:41 PM
I agree that we are trying to limit turnovers, but don't be surprised when we start taking deep shots down the field. We already tried against the Bengals, and its really a matter of matchups and coverages.

Remember that McD's offense was responsible for the resurgence of Randy Moss in NE. McD likes the deep routes, and when Brandon fully commits (if he does) I think we will see it more often.

However, I really like the team approach, and the lack of turnovers.

ant1999e
09-23-2009, 01:42 PM
Having our O-line helps as covering 3-7 receivers of our calibre for more than 5 seconds is pipe dreams.

Our receivers had a problem getting open last week. Orton had days to throw but nobody to throw to.

barryr
09-23-2009, 03:21 PM
Even Shannon Sharpe commented on receivers not getting open while sitting up in the booth last Sunday. As hard as the Cutler fans try, that's not Orton's fault.

Cito Pelon
09-26-2009, 10:48 AM
I was just rewatching the highlight video in this thread (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=84621) and noticed a lot about the specific operating basis of our team.

It seems that McD is dead set on winning specific small battles that add up to win the war.

First, the turnover battle ... if you look at the video you will see that every pass thrown had almost zero chance of being picked off ... It would have taken a horrible throw to even come near to an interception.

Orton has a 7.8 yards per attempt average so simple math would dictate that if Orton can get 50%-60% completions while throwing we will methodically move up and down the field with a little help from our running game. Having our O-line helps as covering 3-7 receivers of our calibre for more than 5 seconds is pipe dreams. We will never throw a high risk ball. We will just play the numbers and if we keep just playing the numbers we will expect to win the field position game.

This methodology means that we patiently work the ball up and down the field without looking for any highlight film plays.

And we don't need to

Statistics would then determine that we can expect to win the following statistical battles:

Turnover
Field Position
Time of Possession
penalties

All of this is supported by a competent defense. If we do not have a competent defense, this will not work and shootouts and highlight films plays are the order of the day.

But winning these 4 above statistical battles sets up the defense for as much success as the offense can set them up for.

There will be games this year that we lose due to highlight film plays a la manning against the dolphins on Monday night but playing these numbers and being patient and not attempting to play beyond our skills seem like we will win plenty.

Now we have not faced the "murderers row" of our schedule yet so we will start learning a lot more in about 11 days but I suspect that Romo will look great on the highlight film but we are in the game the fourth quarter patiently working the numbers.

This is true.

Broncojef
09-26-2009, 11:43 AM
I think everyone knows this isn't a SuperBowl contender we have currently but I'm very excited to see the foundation being layed and some fundamental being sought. Give mcDaniels a couple years and this will be a very interesting team. I really like him as a coach.

Cito Pelon
09-26-2009, 12:35 PM
I think everyone knows this isn't a SuperBowl contender we have currently but I'm very excited to see the foundation being layed and some fundamental being sought. Give mcDaniels a couple years and this will be a very interesting team. I really like him as a coach.

They're doing fine for the fundamentals already. I don't recall a total domination like Denver put on the Browns for a long time. Denver kicked the Browns ass, and it's been a long time since I've seen that.

maher_tyler
09-26-2009, 03:02 PM
They're doing fine for the fundamentals already. I don't recall a total domination like Denver put on the Browns for a long time. Denver kicked the Browns ass, and it's been a long time since I've seen that.

Yea from start to finish..it was nice getting a lead and keeping the foot on the gas peddle. With Shanny we'd always jump out to a 14-17 point lead in the first half only to allow the other team to come back in the second half and make the game a nail bitter. You knew if we didn't have a good first few serise on offense that it was going to be a long day!

Popps
09-26-2009, 03:20 PM
Nice thread. We had some good discussion during the off-season about the (hopeful) return of a more complete game being played in Denver. Thus far, it's been abundantly clear the impact taking care of the ball and playing (mostly) good special teams can have.

As a team that's been on the wrong side of solid fundamentals too many times, it's refreshing to see solid kick coverage. (For example.)

Orton has been brainwashed to take care of the ball. This is in stark contrast to our last philosophy, which was that the QB should always try to make something happen.

December/January football revolves around being able to run, stop the run and play D. All cliche old bull****, but it's a cliche for a reason.

I love the foundation we're seeing put in place. Let's hope it continues to come together.

DivineLegion
09-26-2009, 04:06 PM
hmmm...I remember before the season started, pointing out these exact things saying this was the winning formula for this team. This is something Mike neglected, and along with fundamentals Josh is reinstalling.

I like it, good points.

cutthemdown
09-26-2009, 05:56 PM
I was telling people all offseason this Mcdaniels kid from all I read is an organized, driven, high football IQ type up and commer. Had Broncos not hired him someone would have.

Notice how NE not quite as slick in the play calling so far this yr. Mcdaniels is a master at it and I for one would like someone to ask Brady if he misses him. I would like to hear his answer. It looks to me like he does miss him.

cutthemdown
09-26-2009, 05:59 PM
Nice thread. We had some good discussion during the off-season about the (hopeful) return of a more complete game being played in Denver. Thus far, it's been abundantly clear the impact taking care of the ball and playing (mostly) good special teams can have.

As a team that's been on the wrong side of solid fundamentals too many times, it's refreshing to see solid kick coverage. (For example.)

Orton has been brainwashed to take care of the ball. This is in stark contrast to our last philosophy, which was that the QB should always try to make something happen.

December/January football revolves around being able to run, stop the run and play D. All cliche old bull****, but it's a cliche for a reason.

I love the foundation we're seeing put in place. Let's hope it continues to come together.

It was said Shanny told Cutler to look deep and sling it for big plays whenever the play broke down. Shanny though by letting Cutler do that a few yrs he would end up as dangerous as John Elway was. Shannahan I really think wanted to build another Elway and then be able to take credit like he never could for Elway.

Didn't work out because he neglected the defense. Let Special teams go to crap. Allowed to much nepotism into the front office which created a strange working environment IMO.

cutthemdown
09-26-2009, 06:02 PM
Even Shannon Sharpe commented on receivers not getting open while sitting up in the booth last Sunday. As hard as the Cutler fans try, that's not Orton's fault.

I put that on the play calling, or just chalk it up to good defense.

Browns were playing back in the zones, not giving much up, not bringing much pressure. Orton was smart to dink and dunk and try and get the running game going. Mcedaniels made the right call to try and control the clock and run the ball to pull that defense in.

Eventually they did bring pressure and Orton burned them.

I don't care when the yrds and points come as long as defense playing like it is. The facts are though eventually some team is going to put us down 10-14 points etc.

That will be when we really notice the difference between Orton and Cutler.

Broncos will need to try and keep games close and within reach or they could have some problems coming back.

Still though Orton has been playing hurt. I can't wait to see him in a situation where he has to throw the ball downfield to comeback. It will be interesting to see how much of that he can do.

BroncoBuff
09-26-2009, 06:41 PM
Notice how NE not quite as slick in the play calling so far this yr. Mcdaniels is a master at it and I for one would like someone to ask Brady if he misses him. I would like to hear his answer. It looks to me like he does miss him.
I was thinking the same thing last week ... that offense doesn't seem too smooth yet.

I think Josh is still getting comfortable calling plays here ... maybe it's because he's the head man now, but the Cincy game play calling seemed a bit scatter shot, no doubt he had butterflies. I actually think Josh's play calling will get better as the season progresses.