PDA

View Full Version : Andra Davis Article ... Another Bargain Along with Dawkins it Seems

prunch
09-23-2009, 10:58 AM
http://www.timescall.com/sports_story.asp?id=18228

Field Guide
Veteran Davis emerging as mentor to Denver’s defense

By Brian Howell
© 2009 Longmont Times-Call

ENGLEWOOD — With the arrival of new head coach Eric Mangini last spring, the Cleveland Browns had no more use for Andra Davis.

The Denver Broncos couldn’t sign him fast enough — and after two games, it’s easy to see why.

“He is a great leader,” Broncos head coach Josh McDaniels said. “He has got great work ethic, he studies as much or more than anybody else on our team (and) does a great job of showing our younger players how to practice, how to prepare.”

A veteran linebacker, Davis leads the Broncos with 19 tackles — five of them coming behind the line of scrimmage. He had 10 tackles against the Browns on Sunday.

“It feels great,” Davis said of his play so far, “but I’m a team guy, and I wouldn’t be able to do what I’m doing without the other guys on the team.”

Perhaps, but Davis’ impact has been tremendous so far.

A year ago, only two teams in the NFL gave up more points than the Broncos, and only three gave up more yards.

With a new defensive scheme, a new coaching staff and several new players, the Broncos are No. 1 in scoring defense and No. 2 in total yards allowed so far this season.

Davis isn’t the only new player on board this season, but he’s helped to bring a new attitude.

Through two games, the Broncos have swarmed to the football, often having four or five players making tackles at one time.

“That’s our identity,” Davis said. “That’s what we pride ourselves on — just getting to the ball.”

They’ve also proven to be much more aggressive than in past years, and Davis said that has allowed them to stop thinking and just play.

“We’re definitely more aggressive, and we have a lot of good athletes, guys who can make plays,” Davis said. “It’s so much fun.”

Adding Davis to the mix was a key piece of the Broncos’ puzzle because he had something few players on the roster had — experience playing in a 3-4.

“When you haven’t played in that style of defense before, to see somebody like that come in and do it the right way, I think it is always helpful,” McDaniels said.

Davis was eager to bring his knowledge to the Broncos, even though it meant leaving a team with which he spent seven seasons — six of those as a primary starter.

Davis said he never heard from Mangini, who took over as the Browns’ coach on Jan. 7.

“The lack of conversations kind of let me know it was going to be a different route,” Davis said.

It wasn’t an easy route for Davis, who is married and has three daughters.

“It was just hard to pack up and say goodbye,” he said. “I knew once I left Cleveland, there was a good possibility I wasn’t ever coming back.”

Leaving Cleveland, however, opened a new door for Davis, who has enjoyed developing relationships with fellow Broncos linebackers D.J. Williams and Darrell Reid.

“They made my transition so much easier,” he said.

A fifth-round draft choice from Florida in 2002, Davis said there’s no hard feelings for the Browns.

“It was time for a change,” he said. “I did seven years there and I needed a fresh start. Thank God I got it.

“I’m a Denver Bronco now. I’m very excited about being out here.”

So far, he’s making the most of it and proving that, at 30 years old, he’s still got the talent to excel in the NFL.

“He is just a veteran player that is just mature, a great leader and, obviously, he has been playing well,” McDaniels said.

oubronco
09-23-2009, 11:08 AM
Hell Yeah it's about time we have a DEFENSE

Inkana7
09-23-2009, 11:08 AM
The guy's just a tackling machine. I haven't seen anyone in Denver make a play on a screen in years, and he blew up one last week for a big loss.

ward63
09-23-2009, 11:15 AM
Yeah, so much for Larsen replacing him...

BlaK-Argentina
09-23-2009, 11:39 AM
The guy's just a tackling machine. I haven't seen anyone in Denver make a play on a screen in years, and he blew up one last week for a big loss.

WW last year blew one up beautifully. :thumbs:

Rock Chalk
09-23-2009, 11:50 AM
1 in 5 tackles are behind the LOS.

I cannot overstate the importance of that. Tackle stats are misleading, Tackles for loss are not.

Thats incredible.

Rabb
09-23-2009, 11:52 AM
so far, it is hard to even think back to the crap we trotted out there last year

I am loving this group of guys

prunch
09-23-2009, 11:53 AM
1 in 5 tackles are behind the LOS.

I cannot overstate the importance of that. Tackle stats are misleading, Tackles for loss are not.

Thats incredible.

Actually, more like one in four

19 tackles
5 behind LOS

Wow!

broncofan2438
09-23-2009, 11:56 AM
Im very pleased with the free-agents that we picked up

Broncosfreak_56
09-23-2009, 12:17 PM
Davis, dawk, and holliday are 3 great players and leaders on each level of the defense with a lot of experience. Great pickups by McDaniels and co. Its too bad jay-gate overshadowed the whole offseason.

Tombstone RJ
09-23-2009, 12:29 PM
People around here are finally believing that Andra Davis is a great MLB and a valid replacement for Al Wilson... hate to say I told you so, but no one else is gonna acknowledge that I indeed TOLD YOU SO.

i4jelway7
09-23-2009, 12:36 PM
guess what

tombstone told us so

sorry couldn't resist

bronclvr
09-23-2009, 12:39 PM
I love opening a Thread and not seeing a bashing of McDaniels, Orton or Marshall-

Davis is like Dawkins, he is a force out there, and it looks like we have a good
Defense-the weeks ahead will show if it truly is great (I hope so)-

Nolan is a genius, and it's looking more and more like McDaniels is too-sounds like the Defense is getting some confidence, and, hopefully a real identity-

Tombstone RJ
09-23-2009, 12:47 PM
guess what

tombstone told us so

sorry couldn't resist

:thumbsup:

I also admit when I'm wrong. One example is Niko Koutivides. I thought he'd eventually start at MLB and I was way wrong about that...

Rock Chalk
09-23-2009, 12:58 PM
Actually, more like one in four

19 tackles
5 behind LOS

Wow!

Yeah, 1 in 4, even better.

kappys
09-23-2009, 02:25 PM
People around here are finally believing that Andra Davis is a great MLB and a valid replacement for Al Wilson... hate to say I told you so, but no one else is gonna acknowledge that I indeed TOLD YOU SO.

I spent a lot of time(or penance) living near Cleveland and was very happy when we signed this guy. however Al Wilson he is not - nowhere near Wilson's kind of talent level and ability to play in all phases of the game

I would compare him(and have previously) to Jeremiah Trotter. A tremendous run stuffer and virtually a stand up DL with excellent instincts to stuff the run and break up short pass plays to RB's but a liability in mid to deep zone coverage and not reliable enough to cover man to man.

Pat Bowlen
09-23-2009, 02:51 PM
You know you're in trouble when you start living vicariously through your online personality.

Ironlung
09-23-2009, 03:26 PM
but...but...we have done nothing to upgrade the defense.

Rock Chalk
09-23-2009, 03:51 PM

Whoa whoa whoa.

Andra Davis is good in our system but lets wait you know, a couple of seasons before we start comparing him to Al buddy.

cutthemdown
09-23-2009, 03:55 PM
Don't get too excited. We have some tough offenses coming up after the Raiders.

Tombstone RJ
09-23-2009, 03:55 PM
I spent a lot of time(or penance) living near Cleveland and was very happy when we signed this guy. however Al Wilson he is not - nowhere near Wilson's kind of talent level and ability to play in all phases of the game

I would compare him(and have previously) to Jeremiah Trotter. A tremendous run stuffer and virtually a stand up DL with excellent instincts to stuff the run and break up short pass plays to RB's but a liability in mid to deep zone coverage and not reliable enough to cover man to man.

Davis is a lunch pale kind of LBer and that is why I liken him to Al Wilson. He's not flashy, he just gets the job done.

Tombstone RJ
09-23-2009, 03:58 PM
Whoa whoa whoa.

Andra Davis is good in our system but lets wait you know, a couple of seasons before we start comparing him to Al buddy.

It's his attitude I l compare to Al's not necessarily his overall abilities. I've always admired Andra's great attitude even when he was on crappy Cleveland teams.

listopencil
09-23-2009, 06:47 PM
but...but...we have done nothing to upgrade the defense.

That's a fair comment. I, for one, wasn't seeing many upgrades during the off season. Maybe it's the once-bitten-twice-shy mentality taken to the nth level but I was barely even able to maintain a 'wait and see' attitude. Looking good D, looking good! I hope they keep it up.

Natedogg
09-23-2009, 08:17 PM
Was waiting to show this....

http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=349&videoID=3472&type=broncosTV&year=&month=

Watch at 1:45

lolololol

ZONA
09-23-2009, 09:12 PM
Ya know, if you like Nolan but don't care for McD, you have to at least realize that it was McD's choice to bring Nolan in here. McD already showing his smarts before he even gets to work with his offensive players in OTA's. NICE.

barryr
09-24-2009, 06:48 AM
Like someone else mentioned, that screen pass that Davis came in on and stopped was very impressive.