PDA

View Full Version : Another defensive Question ?

Quoydogs
09-22-2009, 05:55 PM
So I know it has only been two games but WOW they are looking great. So my question is, is it the players or the coach. I have to say Nolan has made the biggest difference.

Your thoughts?

BroncoBuff
09-22-2009, 06:01 PM
Nolan.

SonOfLe-loLang
09-22-2009, 06:07 PM
Nolan.

umm, he's not on the field. Its a healthy mixture of both. and you just hate giving any credit to mcd, dont you

BroncoBuff
09-22-2009, 06:11 PM
umm, he's not on the field. Its a healthy mixture of both. and you just hate giving any credit to mcd, dont you

You didn't read the question there, smiley.

Want me to help?

Quoydogs
09-22-2009, 06:12 PM

Not to take anything away from McD how has he helped the D other then picking up some great players? I thought he was all about the offense?? Not being sarcastic here I would really like to know.

Br0nc0Buster
09-22-2009, 06:32 PM
Its both
We upgraded the talent on the defense with additions like Andre Goodman, Brian Dawkins, Rinaldo Hill, Andra Davis, Ronald Fields, Robert Ayers, Alphonso Smith, Darcel McBath, etc...

We have also upgraded the coaching by bringing in an accomplished coordinator in Nolan and some accomplished position coaches like Nunnely, Martindale, and Donatell

The scheme is also much more creative and aggressive than last years, which is a product of good coaching

Our defense is still new and teams dont have a ton of tape on us, so I will temper expectations as teams will find our weaknesses as the season progresses

But regardless we have made big improvements over the trash we fielded last year

carlosgmz1
09-22-2009, 06:51 PM
Not to take anything away from McD how has he helped the D other then picking up some great players? I thought he was all about the offense?? Not being sarcastic here I would really like to know.

well before Mcd was the pats offensive coordinator he was a defensive assistant so he could be helping out with the D! i'm not sure how much he actually gets involved though

And to answer the question, I think it's Nolan cuz these players aren't that much better than the ones we had last year yet they are playing nothing like them! :yayaya:

Irish Stout
09-22-2009, 06:58 PM
well before Mcd was the pats offensive coordinator he was a defensive assistant so he could be helping out with the D! i'm not sure how much he actually gets involved though

And to answer the question, I think it's Nolan cuz these players aren't that much better than the ones we had last year yet they are playing nothing like them! :yayaya:

Goodman had a good year last year, Dawkins is better than Marlon McCree and Marquand Manuel combined, Alphonso Smith > Bly... Saying that our D players are not much better than last years is silly. You're so silly.

TheDave
09-22-2009, 07:20 PM
Something I said before... Some credit for our defensive performance needs to go to McDaniels and the play calling he is doing. So far he has done a fantastic job of keeping our defense out of bad situations.

It's more conservative than I'm use to, but it has definately helped the defense out.

misturanderson
09-22-2009, 07:35 PM
McD does coach the defensive players some. There were many reports out of camp of McD showing defensive players how to beat what the offensive players were doing, then turning around and showing the offensive payers how to counter what he just taught the defense.

Most of the credit goes to the defensive staff, but McD assembled that staff and got them players to run the schemes.

Popps
09-22-2009, 07:45 PM
It's absolutely both.

Fields was a guy Nolan liked coming in. Peterson was one of our best linemen last season.... and McBean has been a nice surprise. Doom is CLEARLY better served where he is now.

Andra Davis was a great addition. He led the team in tackles Sunday and has been very stout against the run. (Which is why he's here.)

The secondary is obviously vastly improved.

But, the system and Nolan are all part of it, too.

It's definitely both.

BroncoMan4ever
09-22-2009, 11:37 PM

Nolan is a major reason, just the coaching in general is a big thing. the talent level on the last few years defenses was NOT as bad as our defense looked. we had playmakers, and decent starters for the most part(not saying we were incredible or anything) but we were not as bad talent wise as our stats would lead us to believe.

coaching fixed a lot of the defensive problems. decent coaching last year and our defense was probably middle of the pack in rankings.

ZONA
09-23-2009, 12:00 AM
I might as well.......

EARN IT - TAKE IT TAKE IT TAKE IT

The defensive "on the field" leadership from Dawkins is clearly resonating to the other players also. But credit has to go alot of places because there are coaches and 11 players doing the job and getting it done.

Zoobie
09-23-2009, 12:02 AM
Most of the time I believe it's players not plays, but this scheme is allowing our players to thrive, though some of is it talent.

McMastermind
09-23-2009, 12:04 AM
Anyone that thinks McD has nothing to do with the defensive improvement is insane.

Nolan deserves a sh!t ton of credit no doubt but ATTITUDE starts at the top and that top is McD.

cutthemdown
09-23-2009, 12:20 AM
Well let's see the defense has 2 new linebackers, 2 new safety's one of whom is potentially a HOF safety. 2 new CB's one vet one rookie hot shot. Peterson in over Engleberger, McBean in and Feilds added as a FA.

I'd have to say it's more the players being more talented. But also the scheme change seems to have been good for Dumerville who was are most gifted pass rusher.

I'm going to say 50/50 even.

cutthemdown
09-23-2009, 12:22 AM
It's Mcdaniels credit 100%. If Nolan is a great coach for us, it's because Mcdaniels made a smart pick and Joe Ellis did the paperwork.

Mcdaniels is a great hire. I'm so glad I was on record even before we hired him as being the coach I wanted.

By the way how is that Spagnulo guy doing?

Natedog24
09-23-2009, 12:43 AM
We have definitely improved the defensive talent we are putting out on the field. Brian Dawkins alone makes this unit a massive upgrade over last years bunch.

I'm still giving tons of Nolan/McD and the rest of coaching staff though. They are getting way more production out of some of the FA Dlineman we signed then I think anyone could have imagined. Not to mention they have seemed to totally rejuvenate Dumervil's career with the move to OLB. Very impressive how quickly they have gotten this unit to flourish so far in a totally new system. I'll be real curious to see how this D holds up against some more talented offenses.

TheReverend
09-23-2009, 01:00 AM
Elvis and Davis.

tsiguy96
09-23-2009, 01:06 AM
take the jets for example..they only have 2 new starters this year and look like a brand new team. its a combination of improved talent all over the field (for us), a new coach with a scheme that is actually effective, and renewed energy all over the field, these guys are playing with enthusiasm we havent seen on D in awhile.

DivineLegion
09-23-2009, 04:18 AM
Did anyone notice we are running what seems to be a 3-3 front in our nickle package. Doom with his hand down, Peterson, and Fields on the line with DJ, Woodyard, and Ayers as LBs. Two of Elvis' sacks came from this look...I like it.

fontaine
09-23-2009, 04:31 AM
Our tackling has improved by miles. Last year we cheated up the safeties constantly because we couldn't stop the run but it made no difference because McCree/Manual were whiff machines. The tackling from our LBers back to Secondary has improved a huge amount.

WolfpackGuy
09-23-2009, 05:34 AM
1) Much better tackling
2) Nolan's schemes
3) Bengals and Browns

Bronco Rob
09-23-2009, 05:42 AM
Nolan

barryr
09-23-2009, 07:31 AM
It's Nolan and also the players who are executing the scheme. Not to mention the players seem on the same page. The last few years, it's been countless times the defense would leave guys wide open all over the field, which resulted in big plays, and Bronco defenders looking at each other like they didn't know who was supposed to be covering who and just a jumbled mess out there. It was happening just about every game, but I haven't noticed much of that these first 2 games.