PDA

View Full Version : Give the O a break and lets talk some D

Quoydogs
09-22-2009, 05:39 PM
Who do you think has been the biggest play maker on defense in the first two games? I love what DOOOOM has been doing but I have to say Dawkins. You can see his leadership and he seems to be everywhere the ball is. The best part about him is man when he hits someone he hits them. :strong:

I would like to here you views on not just who you think but why.

Chris
09-22-2009, 05:44 PM
when he hits someone he hits them

Easily a John Madden quote but I know what you mean. I think the brightest spots have been Dawkins, Dumervil, and Davis. These guys are flying to the ball. That said, it's a team effort and a lot of people are playing above expectations (Mcbean is a great example).

BroncoBuff
09-22-2009, 05:45 PM
Ron Fields has been much better than I anticipated. Andra Davis, too.

Quoydogs
09-22-2009, 05:46 PM
Easily a John Madden quote but I know what you mean. I think the brightest spots have been Dawkins, Dumervil, and Davis. These guys are flying to the ball. That said, it's a team effort and a lot of people are playing above expectations (Mcbean is a great example).

HAHA Thats great! I'm going out right now to buy a yellow pen.

goldengopher1976
09-22-2009, 05:46 PM
I think the last-second INT by my adopt-a-bronco puts him front and center for the biggest difference-maker on defense.

Oh, him and Dawkins.

thumpc
09-22-2009, 06:04 PM
Miami needed Hill and Goodman last night.

BroncoBuff
09-22-2009, 06:07 PM
Miami needed Hill and Goodman last night.

Vonnie Holliday too.

Br0nc0Buster
09-22-2009, 06:37 PM
Brian Dawkins so far has proven to be a great signing

His leadership and intensity has raised everyone else's game that much more

Williams
09-22-2009, 07:44 PM
I've been very impressed with Andra Davis so far. He's been all over the field hitting hard, and leads the team in tackles. He's a presence we've been missing in the middle since losing (the great) Al Wilson. Also looks like a great leader out there.

Inkana7
09-22-2009, 08:56 PM
Fields, Peterson, McBean are holding strong against the run.

Rock Chalk
09-22-2009, 09:00 PM
Champ was on the Broncos Show last night and they asked him about Dawkins presence and he said the team hasnt had anyone even remotely like him since he first got here and Al was manning the middle.

He said he reminds him of Al in that regard.

Big Al, still my favorite Bronco defender of the last 20 years. Love me some Champ but Al was all heart buddy.

Anyway, as far as teh OP its hard to argue with Dawkins presence. Totally wish we could have had this guy the last 10 years, he's so freakin easy to root for.

cutthemdown
09-22-2009, 09:04 PM
Who do you think has been the biggest play maker on defense in the first two games? I love what DOOOOM has been doing but I have to say Dawkins. You can see his leadership and he seems to be everywhere the ball is. The best part about him is man when he hits someone he hits them. :strong:

I would like to here you views on not just who you think but why.

Well sometimes its other players that allow guys like Doom to be playmakers.

Playmakers I would say you are right Doom after going off for 4 sacks.

The biggest reason we are better though is Ron Fields, and Kenny Peterson. They are playing tough tough football inside right now. They are battling playing harder on the front then I have seen from Broncos football in awhile.

After that the biggest improvement is Dawkins, Haagan, Hill in that order. Goodman also seems at least as good if not better then BLY. ALthough IMO Bly would be doing really well in this defense. He played hard last yr and was just in a crappy defense.

Archer81
09-22-2009, 09:28 PM
The line is winning at the line of scrimmage. That didnt happen last year, and we got gashed. This season, the "big 3" are holding their own allowing Doom, Williams, Davis Ayers/Haggan to get to the ball carrier. The secondary is also doing a great job killing off the big play, and a big reason for that is the health of Bailey and Dawkins knows what spots to get to. Its early, but so far this defense is fun to watch.

:Broncos:

SoDak Bronco
09-22-2009, 09:32 PM
Wow, good question....I guess after thinking about it for a few minutes, I'd say the secondary as a whole deserves the most credit. They haven't given up an explosive play, they've came up great to support the run, and to stop the short passing plays ( 3 and 5or more and we tackle them for gains below the marker).

Love Nolan and his scheme. impressed w/rookie Phonz Smith, and Robert Ayers. He is going to be a player.

BroncoBuff
09-22-2009, 09:33 PM
Very early, but they do look damn good. I had almost forgotten what a sack looked like.

Popps
09-22-2009, 09:33 PM
The line is winning at the line of scrimmage. That didnt happen last year, and we got gashed. This season, the "big 3" are holding their own :

The defensive line improvements have paid major dividends thus far. The front 7 overhaul was needed and the results are still to be decided... but look very positive thus far.

The other thing is, even when guys do get past our front 3, you're not seeing massive runs or breakdowns the way we did last season. Every 4 yard run where a back gets free doesn't wind up a 40 yard run.

We've got intelligent safety play now, and Nolan talked about that at the beginning of the season. He basically said that you can't have a bunch of idiots manning your secondary or you're going to give up huge plays, even if your D-line IS doing their job well.

It just feels like a more complete unit. I still think we need to gain a more consistent attack and push up front, but it's light-years better than last season.

TheDave
09-22-2009, 09:37 PM
As teams get more film on them they will get exploited at some point... At that point it will matter how they can adjust.

Fortunately with the coaching staff and the secondary I think they can adjust.

I think the key for us will be staying relatively healthy, were still pretty thin at some positions.

bowtown
09-22-2009, 09:42 PM
Anybody else still trying to get all the new numbers straight? I still occasionally find myself saying "who was that?" after a tackle by one of our front 7.

Archer81
09-22-2009, 09:45 PM
Anybody else still trying to get all the new numbers straight? I still occasionally find myself saying "who was that?" after a tackle by one of our front 7.

Just the defensiveline. I know 90 and 99. The linebackers I have down. 56 is nice to see on the field.

:Broncos:

cutthemdown
09-22-2009, 10:36 PM
As teams get more film on them they will get exploited at some point... At that point it will matter how they can adjust.

Fortunately with the coaching staff and the secondary I think they can adjust.

I think the key for us will be staying relatively healthy, were still pretty thin at some positions.

The reason the 3-4 getting so popular is its so easy to play the same defense but change the look up. You can run linebackers all over the place.

I think what you will see if a big oline challenge Broncos by just going right at them and really seeing if this team can stop the run. Not from NE, but I do think from the Raiders this week.

Cable is going to try to just ram it down the field and then mix in some throws to the TE/RB and then a couple bombs prob.

More then anything though he has the oline there playing better. Gallery just went down though so that will hurt them at guard.

Mr. Elway
09-22-2009, 11:07 PM
Dawk. The defense has been playing better than the sum of its parts and I put that down to his leadership and fire.

Quoydogs
09-22-2009, 11:22 PM
WOW there are some great answers in here and I feel even better about them then before. I like the fact that so many people have so many different people listed, this reassures me that the D is playing as a whole unit rather then just single players.

I think I have changed my answer though. I think it has to be the coaches. After reading your answers and putting it all together I think it comes out to be the coaches and there abilities to show them they can play as a team. I am just floored that we could be that bad last year and come in here and lay the wood like we have.

Hey on a side note

I posted this question on the other board and got 3 smart ass answers. It just goes to show me how much better this board is. Thank for keeping it real.

Go Broncos!

Old Dude
09-23-2009, 09:34 AM
Biggest surprises for me have been Ryan McBean and Mario Haggan. Where the heck did these guys come from?

Nice story on Haggan:

http://www.milehighreport.com/2009/9/10/1023289/tales-from-the-sunnyside-mario?ref=CBS

And by same writer on McBean:

http://www.milehighreport.com/2009/8/19/992339/tales-from-the-sunnyside-ryan?ref=CBS&source=rss_teams_Denver_Broncos

I'm also happy with some of the depth that seems to be developing. Holliday should help out as he gets back in the groove. Ayers is going to come on eventually. Smith is looking good at the nickle spot. Etc, etc.

I really don't know how good this group is overall, but the defense as a whole looks substantially better than the disorganized and injured rabble that was getting torched for more than 38 pts per game down the stretch last last year.

MVP-06
09-23-2009, 10:54 AM
I like the Smith kid. Not the biggest ( as we all know) but not afraid to stick his nose in there and take the runner down. Will be a starter very soon imo