PDA

View Full Version : Attitude aside is Marshall smart enough to be successful in McD's system?

baja
09-22-2009, 11:19 AM
Poll coming

Pony Boy
09-22-2009, 11:29 AM
Marshall is being used as a situtional player and untill be puts in the time and effort to learn the plays that's all he will be in McDaniel's system.

Dagmar
09-22-2009, 11:35 AM
Yes, unfortunately I cannot see him putting his attitude aside...

Broncos4tw
09-22-2009, 11:36 AM
Of course he can. WR isn't rocket surgery. Of course, whether he will apply himself or not is a different story.

But there are only so many ways you can run routes. And so many ways you can block. If he can't figure it out, something is wrong.

Pony Boy
09-22-2009, 11:38 AM
Nothing here that hasn't been said already but it's something to read .......
http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post/_/id/4231/marshall-still-not-all-the-way-back-in-denver

Hotrod
09-22-2009, 11:41 AM
Run + catch....it will be hard but if he puts in the time I think he can manage.

Pony Boy
09-22-2009, 11:51 AM
Run + catch....it will be hard but if he puts in the time I think he can manage.

Let me fix this "run half speed + let the ball go through your hands"

broncocalijohn
09-22-2009, 11:53 AM
17 to 1. Shows that even us BM "haters" still have hope for the guy. Good way of putting the poll question. He has the ability but does he want too? If winning is important to him like money, then he will learn it. It has to eat at him that he isnt out there on 3rd and long.

SonOfLe-loLang
09-22-2009, 11:54 AM
its football, not rocket science..plus welker said it takes a while to get used to

TheDave
09-22-2009, 12:02 PM
It's a playbook...

Seriously, there are pictures with a couple of words under it.

SportinOne
09-22-2009, 12:33 PM
Randy "Bubba Gump Shrimp" Moss and Dante "But I flashed my lights" Stallworth think that he is more than capable.

listopencil
09-22-2009, 05:04 PM
As of right now I'm going to say "no". I can't recall him making a good decision yet, on or off the field, so far this year.

BroncoBuff
09-22-2009, 05:08 PM
91.3 percent of people can't be wrong.

watermock
09-22-2009, 05:23 PM
If any poll should be public, this one should of been.

Kid A
09-22-2009, 05:57 PM
As impulsive and rash as his decision making seems to be, Marshall has never struck me as an truly dumb individual. When he wants to be he can be very well spoken. On the whole he is definitly more "with it" than some borderline neanderthals like Pacman Jones who you are almost surprised remember where to line up on the field. Problem isn't that he doesn't have enough brains in his head, it's that he seems to insist on keeping that head in his ass.

ScottXray
09-22-2009, 07:20 PM
Yes , Marshall has the intelligence to be able to play in McD's system.

What is questionable is if he has the WILL to do so, because it means
Knowing what he is supposed to do and then doing it. For that to happen he will have to apply himself, and basically he has been pretty lazy and gotten away with it up till now.

He has been most successful in the past playing somewhat sandlot football.

"Brandon , you go down 30 yards and then cut to an out and get open. I'll throw it to ya and you catch it." was seemingly a part of our game plan before now. Too much improvisation and dependence on the QB to keep watching him for an opening.

He's a great talent and can just run over people once he's got the ball. Route running has not been a strong point, though. I seem to remember several games last year where JC got picked and said he ran the wrong route.

cutthemdown
09-22-2009, 07:40 PM
For sure he is. It's not that hard its just a lot of information.

The route tree for NFL WR is basically the same. You have digs, you have curls, you have posts, they number things like 9 routes(routes like fly patterns, routes that go long).

Posts are often called 8 routes and it goes on and on.

Marshall already is versed in every route in the book. He just needs to learn the plays and know things like if the Safety blitzes, you don't run the 8 route, you run the quick out, or the 1 route as is often called in football.

That way you can run plays that sound like x slot 5, y curl, z 9, on 4. Of course usually some colors thrown in for the formation and the protection for oline and rbs.

Really once you know it its not hard. Football players are not the smartest people but they do need to be dedicated to try 100%

It's not calculus, its more like memorizing all the dates for a history exam type smarts.

Marshall will be fine if he wants to be. If his head isn't in it aned he doesn't plan on learning then he wont be.

rastaman
09-22-2009, 08:10 PM
Here's the Big Picture:

Brandon has probably worn out his welcome with McD and the pro management Bronco fans. It maybe time to seek out playing in another city.

Btwn Brandon's 15 police run ins/arrest, asking for a raise, dogging it in practice, his suspension, all these instances point to irreparable feelings on both sides.

Between the fans already having preconceived notions on whether Brandon is dogging it, to Brandon running bad routes, to Brandon not catching passes, to Brandon appearing dis-interested, the least of excuses by fans showing their dis-trust and hate towards Marshall only further proves BMarsh in Denver should perhaps come to an end after the 09 season.

The fans frustration and animosity toward Marshall will only increase should the offense stink up the joint once Denver starts to play more talented balance teams on their schedule.

Marshall will be put under the microscope and serve as a convenient whipping boy and scapegoat for the offense under achieving. Although the case maybe that Orton isn't doing his job and the WR's are doing their jobs, and the OLine isn't doing their job.....Marshall will be the convenient scapegoat.

Bronco fans don't really want Marshall on the team anymore, however, these Bmarsh haters want him gone as soon as possible so long as there is a team(s) willing to give up a first and fourth. If we can't get first and 4th Fucc Bmarsh....he stays in Denver and we fans who hate Brandon will make his life a living hell.

The frustration and disappointment will only increase should Bmarsh fail to come as close to his 07 & 08 stats. Should Brandon put up mediocre stats to match the mediocre QB stats Orton will put up, Brandon will get the blame more so than Orton. Despite the fact Brandon didn't achieve his 07 and 08 performances with a mediocre QB of Orton's limited ability.

Ya see the perception will be Bmarsh is dogging it, hes not running the routes and therefore its not Orton's fault. Besides, should Brandon put up mediocre stats in 09, the Broncos will look incompetent Tagging him as an RFA!

How can you justify tagging a player who may put up such stats as 40-50 receptions, 550-760 receiving yards, and 4-6 TD's. Boy those are eye popping RFA stats. How ya going to ask for a 1st and 4th for a WR who puts up those stats?

McD's frustration will come into play as well, if he thinks as some fans believe that Bmarsh is doggit, he'll keep them out on several plays every game, but doing so only plays into decreasing Marshall's stats output, thus making harder and foolish to demand a 1st and 4th and tagging as an RFA.

Yep! forcing a square peg into a round hole will really make a lot of sense with the Broncos wanting to seek revenge toward Brandon b/c he wants to be traded or wants new contract.

cutthemdown
09-22-2009, 09:05 PM
Here's the Big Picture:

Brandon has probably worn out his welcome with McD and the pro management Bronco fans. It maybe time to seek out playing in another city.

Btwn Brandon's 15 police run ins/arrest, asking for a raise, dogging it in practice, his suspension, all these instances point to irreparable feelings on both sides.

Between the fans already having preconceived notions on whether Brandon is dogging it, to Brandon running bad routes, to Brandon not catching passes, to Brandon appearing dis-interested, the least of excuses by fans showing their dis-trust and hate towards Marshall only further proves BMarsh in Denver should perhaps come to an end after the 09 season.

The fans frustration and animosity toward Marshall will only increase should the offense stink up the joint once Denver starts to play more talented balance teams on their schedule.

Marshall will be put under the microscope and serve as a convenient whipping boy and scapegoat for the offense under achieving. Although the case maybe that Orton isn't doing his job and the WR's are doing their jobs, and the OLine isn't doing their job.....Marshall will be the convenient scapegoat.

Bronco fans don't really want Marshall on the team anymore, however, these Bmarsh haters want him gone as soon as possible so long as there is a team(s) willing to give up a first and fourth. If we can't get first and 4th Fucc Bmarsh....he stays in Denver and we fans who hate Brandon will make his life a living hell.

The frustration and disappointment will only increase should Bmarsh fail to come as close to his 07 & 08 stats. Should Brandon put up mediocre stats to match the mediocre QB stats Orton will put up, Brandon will get the blame more so than Orton. Despite the fact Brandon didn't achieve his 07 and 08 performances with a mediocre QB of Orton's limited ability.

Ya see the perception will be Bmarsh is dogging it, hes not running the routes and therefore its not Orton's fault. Besides, should Brandon put up mediocre stats in 09, the Broncos will look incompetent Tagging him as an RFA!

How can you justify tagging a player who may put up such stats as 40-50 receptions, 550-760 receiving yards, and 4-6 TD's. Boy those are eye popping RFA stats. How ya going to ask for a 1st and 4th for a WR who puts up those stats?

McD's frustration will come into play as well, if he thinks as some fans believe that Bmarsh is doggit, he'll keep them out on several plays every game, but doing so only plays into decreasing Marshall's stats output, thus making harder and foolish to demand a 1st and 4th and tagging as an RFA.

Yep! forcing a square peg into a round hole will really make a lot of sense with the Broncos wanting to seek revenge toward Brandon b/c he wants to be traded or wants new contract.

I still think Orton will surprise you. I would be really shocked if he didn't hit 3500 plus yrds and 16-20 tds.

Also I think Broncos will be at least 15th in scoring, or pretty close. But they will do it with half the turnovers they had yr before.

Gaffney was making plays, Stokely made some grabs, and even Marshall actually had a couple nice plays.

IMO Marshall is going to get it going. Who he plays for next yr might come down to whose willing to give up a pick for him. Probably a restricted FA so he can't just walk, and Broncos won't cut him IMO.

Who knows though I for one am still holding out hope he starts having fun playing football again. Most players say once game starts you get so into it you forget about stuff like that.

I know I can be on a gig, playing for a bandleader I hate, but once its my time to solo I just get caught up in music and always do my best. I would never dog it because I want to play in another band, my ego too big for that.

Marshalls ego to big for that as well. I bet right now he is studying playbook and hanging out with his teammates.

You don't know everything Rasta that is a given. Right now Orton playing pretty good for a guy with a dislocated finger. You could tell the ball came out better week 2 then week 1. He may come out with no glove for the Raiders.

Taco John
09-22-2009, 09:41 PM
Marshall doesn't strike me as dumb. Immature yes, but "dumb" - I suppose that's a relative word. It seems to me that if a player can play in a Shanahan offense, they probably have enough brains to play in any offense.

Dr. Broncenstein
09-22-2009, 09:46 PM
Show me a 12 month period of time where Brandon stays out legal trouble. I'll re-consider then.

Lev Vyvanse
09-22-2009, 09:52 PM
If any poll should be public, this one should of been.

Click on the number next to the bar graph and STFU dimwit.

baja
09-22-2009, 09:53 PM
Marshall doesn't strike me as dumb. Immature yes, but "dumb" - I suppose that's a relative word.<b> It seems to me that if a player can play in a Shanahan offense, they probably have enough brains to play in any offense.

That's fair. I suppose Shanahan could have kept it simple for Brandon but if that was true than McD should be able to do the same thing. I think Marshall has a very good chance to become a monster in this system. I hope he realizes that Denver is one of the best situations he could find himself in. If only he could see it.

Durango
09-22-2009, 10:25 PM
The guy is a pet rock; dense and inert.

Hulamau
09-23-2009, 01:40 AM
Certainly he is capable, But this whole offseason behavior plus his bone headed failure to really learn from his many run ins with the law up til now argues powerfully for him not having the smarts ... and perhaps character, to excel in such a team oriented, NOT 'me first' type system.

He has the next month to demonstrate real commitment and improving performance and in-syncness with Orton or he will get branded a malingerer and/or dumbass and his stock will drop like a rock.

We do need him to really excel this year. Having him playing at top level could do wonders for the entire offense and Eddie Royal as well.

But this is make or break time for Brandon. We're all about to see how smart ... or dumb ... he really is.

colonelbeef
09-23-2009, 08:14 AM
of course. McDaniels' system is no more complicated than Shanahans' was

gyldenlove
09-28-2009, 12:23 PM
Just wanted to bring back this classic. Are people still convinced Marshall is dogging it out there?

Mr. Elway
09-28-2009, 12:33 PM
I'd take Brandon Marshall against Chris Johnson in a spelling bee any day of the week.

listopencil
09-28-2009, 03:32 PM
Just wanted to bring back this classic. Are people still convinced Marshall is dogging it out there?

He looked better, but nothing special outside of a really nice third down conversion. Hard to tell whether he's dogging it or still having to think too much. So I guess that's an improvement from being a total **** up?

uplink
09-28-2009, 04:50 PM
Yes, he does not strike me as lacking football IQ just makes some bad off-field decisions.

broncocalijohn
12-14-2009, 01:46 PM
80% were correct. Not bad for many that still had him as a bad offseason guy. Mane CAN put aside their feelings on a player if a poll question is fair. Also, always put an end date to all polls as it will be off once it gets bumped and people want to claim they were correct on the poll (even if they never voted when the issue was put on the Mane originally).

jhns
12-14-2009, 01:53 PM
I vote yes because I didn't vote before and now I can claim I was right.