PDA

View Full Version : is champ bailey a bronco in 2010?

tsiguy96
09-22-2009, 08:22 AM
hes due like 14 or 15 million next year, think well take the bullet and keep him, he will restructure, or we cut him?

SoDak Bronco
09-22-2009, 08:25 AM
We have the money, he is still a top 4-5 CB, extend him while we are at it.

55CrushEm
09-22-2009, 08:25 AM
hes due like 14 or 15 million next year, think well take the bullet and keep him, he will restructure, or we cut him?

Not only will he have to restructure....I think he'll have to take a pay cut. As much as I love the guy....he's not worth that much anymore.

Of course, if he ends up with 10-12 picks this year, I would rethink that.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
09-22-2009, 08:30 AM
If there's one thing the New England system has shown, it's that they're not afraid to trade pillars of the past to build the team of the future. If he has a big year, I would not be at all surprised to see him traded for some significant picks.

oubronco
09-22-2009, 08:33 AM
They will restructure his contract like they always do and give him more guaranteed upfront money

tsiguy96
09-22-2009, 08:34 AM
i say yes, he will restructure now that we have consistency on the defense and a bright offense, we can be a contender in the next few years. someone on broncomania said he said the broncos have got to lock up dumerville long term or someone else is going to, guess he was raving about dumerville.

LongDongJohnson
09-22-2009, 08:51 AM
If there's one thing the New England system has shown, it's that they're not afraid to trade pillars of the past to build the team of the future. If he has a big year, I would not be at all surprised to see him traded for some significant picks.

as much as i love champ i wouldnt mind that.

if we do that i hope its to a superbowl contender. a hall of famer like champ deserves a chance at a ring.

WolfpackGuy
09-22-2009, 08:52 AM
It could be interesting.

If the pass rush continues to develop and/or dominate, top flight corners aren't a necessity.

"The Coach" comes from an environment where decent CB's (Law and Samuel) were allowed to walk, so if Champ doesn't restructure, he's probably gone.

bronco militia
09-22-2009, 09:13 AM
if he doesn't want to take a big pay cut then no......Jack Williams and Smith are much cheaper options

SoDak Bronco
09-22-2009, 09:29 AM
if he doesn't want to take a big pay cut then no......Jack Williams and Smith are much cheaper options

You get what you pay for, and Cheaper isn't better. Pay him, we have plenty of cap room.

bronco militia
09-22-2009, 09:31 AM
You get what you pay for, and Cheaper isn't better. Pay him, we have plenty of cap room.

I would pay him too, but I don't think the Broncos front office will

_Oro_
09-22-2009, 09:35 AM
Givem to Snyder for a 1st rounder.

BroncoMatt
09-22-2009, 09:51 AM
Isn't next year likely to be an uncapped year? Sounds like perfect timing salary cap wise, its just a matter of Pat writing that check.

Popps
09-22-2009, 10:15 AM
We have a lot of guys we need to extend. Champ is one of them, but we need to be cautious. It's going to be tricky.

rbackfactory80
09-22-2009, 12:19 PM
It isn't the patriot way. Champ goes, unfortunately.

BroncoMan4ever
09-22-2009, 12:31 PM
Not only will he have to restructure....I think he'll have to take a pay cut. As much as I love the guy....he's not worth that much anymore.

Of course, if he ends up with 10-12 picks this year, I would rethink that.
if he ends up with that many picks, he will probably be traded in the offseason. Smith was drafted to take over for him and learn from him from a year or 2 to eventually take his job.

ward63
09-22-2009, 12:35 PM
If we can get a second plus for him, I hate to say it, but sure. He's still a great talent, but as said before, NE got rid of their players like that. Too much money and getting up there in age equals see ya later.

DBroncos4life
09-22-2009, 12:43 PM

I bet if you ask the Pats at the end of this season that 2011 draft pick they got for RS, wasn't worth losing RS.

24champ
09-22-2009, 12:51 PM
The Patriot way of getting rid of Law and Samuels....yeah how did that work out for the Patriots after they got rid of them?

Secondly, Champ isn't taking a pay cut. If anything he is getting a PAY RAISE.

Bronco Yoda
09-22-2009, 01:16 PM
I say we should...but I bet we don't. Just saying...

Orange_Beard
09-22-2009, 02:07 PM
I really hope so...

leon
09-22-2009, 02:17 PM
champ is getting a little old for what he is getting paid. he will have to re-structure his contract or get the heck out-of dodge!!!

Hotrod
09-22-2009, 02:20 PM
Unless he really wants to stay and take less $ then he is gone

Clockwork Orange
09-22-2009, 02:22 PM
Champ is a guy who will move over to safety when he loses a step and be an All-Pro there too. Pay the man.

HooptyHoops
09-22-2009, 03:37 PM
I just hate thinking about this...

Popps
09-22-2009, 03:58 PM
I just hate thinking about this...

This.

Hercules Rockefeller
09-22-2009, 04:00 PM
He's still playing lights out

KevinJames
09-22-2009, 04:42 PM
Hope we can move him to safety in a few years once he can't play CB anymore man he would be a sick FS

watermock
09-22-2009, 05:31 PM
Ask Dre Bly in SF.

maher_tyler
09-22-2009, 05:39 PM
It isn't the patriot way. Champ goes, unfortunately.

Champ is much better than any DB the Pats have had since BB has been the coach there...it'll be interesting to see what happens. I'd be extremely disappointed to see him go but i want to see him get that ring at the same time. If we don't sniff the playoffs..i see this being his last year here! If we make or barely miss the playoffs, i could see him staying around, wanting to play along B Dawk for another year!

Br0nc0Buster
09-22-2009, 05:52 PM
I hope so
I think he would be worth it, and will be very dissaointed if he is gone after this year

But I am a little nervous about it

We have to resign:
Kuper
Doom
Scheffler
Marshall

That is a lot of guys, not all of them may be back

e-mac
09-22-2009, 06:14 PM
Champ will be a Bronco him and Dawkins are crutial to setting up the Defense, he restructures we then resign Dumervil Long term high tender Kuper 1st and 3rd comp Sheffler 2rd rnd comp they are RFAs franchise Marshall.

FireFly
09-22-2009, 06:16 PM
I have a feeling that we're going to lose him.

He'd need to take a big pay cut to stay, and he'd be able to earn more elsewhere. That's not a combination conducive to him being here next sesaon

maher_tyler
09-22-2009, 06:34 PM
Champ will be a Bronco him and Dawkins are crutial to setting up the Defense, he restructures we then resign Dumervil Long term high tender Kuper 1st and 3rd comp Sheffler 2rd rnd comp they are RFAs franchise Marshall.

I'm not so sure sheff sticks around...he's not at the top of the list of players that need to be re-signed thats for sure!

ZONA
09-22-2009, 06:52 PM
It's not even a discussion. Nobody is going to pay Champ 15 million a year so he's gonna have to take a pay cut one way or the other. He's still a damn good DB but he's at that age now nobody is going to pay him that much. I think if he likes what he sees happening in Denver, he will gladly take less pay to stick around. He wants a ring and he knows the chances are better if we use some of that money on other players.

With that all said, I have no idea how this no cap thing for next year will play out.

24champ
09-22-2009, 09:33 PM
It's not even a discussion. Nobody is going to pay Champ 15 million a year

Believe me teams will line up around the corner and pay him more than market value, teams that may have a better shot at a SB than us.

He's not taking a pay cut. Especially with the NFL being uncapped next year.

"He needs to take a pay cut" is fantasy/happyunicornland talk. Reality is, Champ has been angling for an extension and pay raise for awhile now. It will probably be the last contract he signs...so he will command top dollar.

From an article in January of 2008....

The price of employing a top-flight cornerback has risen quickly in recent years.

San Francisco awarded Nate Clements an $80 million deal over eight years during the past free-agency period. Seattle's Marcus Trufant and Oakland's Nnamdi Asomugha could soon be getting similar deals.

Bailey, who has three years remaining on a seven-year, $63 million deal, is keeping an eye on the ever-growing cornerback market.

"I'm interested in it," he said with a laugh. "That's good for all of us that the numbers are getting higher."

Bailey, widely considered one of the top cornerbacks in the NFL, said he won't let other deals affect how he feels about his contract. He is not sure if he and his agent are going to pursue a new deal.

"We'll talk about it," Bailey said. "I think I've played well here, and sometimes these things get extended near the end of the deal, so we'll see what happens. But I think I'm playing at a high level, and that is the most important thing when it comes to contract talks."

Because the Broncos don't have a ton of salary-cap room, it could be a stretch for Denver to address Bailey's contract this offseason, but as cornerback deals continue to soar, Bailey's situation is sure to be addressed at some point.

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_7866961

Doesn't sound like a player willing to take a pay cut does it?

He'll get two things...money, and playing on a team he thinks is competing for the Lombardi trophy.

BroncoMan4ever
09-22-2009, 10:27 PM
i think the best option would be to give him an extension and move his money around so he isn't getting that much next season.

Broncos4Life
09-22-2009, 11:02 PM
I hope so
I think he would be worth it, and will be very dissaointed if he is gone after this year

But I am a little nervous about it

We have to resign:
Kuper
Doom
Scheffler
Marshall

That is a lot of guys, not all of them may be back

Doom will def be back.I'm pretty sure about Kuper too, unless the coaching staff thinks one of our backups could take over. Not so sure on Scheff and Marshall is just a big ?

I hope to god Champ stays. But I'm sure there will be a better offer out there. I know dude has made a lot of money in his career, so its not so much about that though. If the defense continues to gel and play for eachother I cant see why he would go somewhere else.

baja
09-22-2009, 11:31 PM
They will restructure his contract like they always do and give him more guaranteed upfront money

Haven't you noticed they don't do anything like the always do anymore. ;D

cutthemdown
09-23-2009, 01:02 AM
If we are willing to offer Champ as much or more then the other teams in NFL I think he will want to stay and Broncos keep him.

I think team will do well enough for him to feel he could maybe have a shot towards 2010-12 of getting to Superbowl.

I think CHamp like ROd Woodson eventually when he hits 35 or so will make the switch to FS and do really well there as well.

Still Champ looks good so far and he's not having to tackle Rbs!!!! Notice that?

SouthStndJunkie
09-23-2009, 01:21 AM
I would pay him too, but I don't think the Broncos front office will

I agree....if he plays well this year and stays healthy, we should keep him....but I get the feeling the team has been preparing for his eventual departure.

Bronco Rob
09-23-2009, 04:32 AM

Uh..have you watched the DEFENSE this season?

Juts sayin'

;)