PDA

View Full Version : Scheffler in the run game

Mr. Elway
09-22-2009, 08:16 AM
Tony had the TD catch for us early, and while he has always made his presence known in the passing game, this week I noticed he was heavily involved a lot in the run game, especially in the second half. It looked to me like he did an excellent job. Here are some examples:

Here (http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-fantasy/09000d5d812ccbca/Knowshon-Moreno-Highlight-WK-02-vs-Browns-2009) in the 4th quarter he blocks the olb #96 and Knowshon takes it inside for 17.

Here (http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-films-anatomy-of-a-play/09000d5d812c5732/WK-2-Can-t-Miss-Play-Buckhalter-TD-rush) on the next play, he comes across the LOS to the bottom of the screen to block the DB Elam and Buckhalter takes it to the house:

Double-whammy - Could not find a clip of this but earlier in the second half when Marshall took the handoff and ran left, Scheffler came across the LOS, made a block on the edge, then came off that block and made another block downfield. Marshall picked up the first and if he had beat his one guy it would have gone for more yardage.

I am not as adept as some on this board at assessing something like blocking performance, but he really stood out to me a couple of times and I'm curious if anyone else noticed.

Go Tony!! :strong:

SoDak Bronco
09-22-2009, 08:27 AM
I noticed he was in there, which says he most have the coaches confidence. I also noticed Quinn getting quite a bit of PT. The rookie must be making strides as well.

Dos Rios
09-22-2009, 08:54 AM
Noticed the same thing about Scheffler. He's really sticking his nose in there. Allows both Tony and Daniel to be two-way threats rather than a dedicated receiving TE and blocking TE.

All three TEs are used extensively in this system. Shows you that Quinn was not a replacement pick for Graham. Also means Putzier should stay close to the phone in case anyone gets injured.

Anyone know if Hochstein is TE4 right now? That's a role Leach could have filled if kept.

crush17
09-22-2009, 09:04 AM
That block on the Buckhalter run was great! I noticed it in the highlights yesterday as well but I couldn't make out the number on the jersey, then I realized it was Sheffler and was pretty stoked he was in there on that play...

BMarsh615
09-22-2009, 09:05 AM
Anyone know if Hochstein is TE4 right now? That's a role Leach could have filled if kept.

He will play TE/FB in certain packages for McDaniels. When we first got him they McDaniels said he brought him in because he was so versatile. He can play both guard spots, center, TE, and FB.

broncocalijohn
09-22-2009, 09:10 AM
Being in the south stands, we were noticing it too. How many of you still think Graham cant catch based on last year's Jaguars game? I cant think of any drops he has had since then. Daniel catches them and Tony is being used as a blocker (even though he did catch the TD) and doing very well. We have two good TE on our team with a possible 3rd in Quinn.

GoBroncos DownUnder
09-22-2009, 09:38 AM
Tony had the TD catch for us early, and while he has always made his presence known in the passing game, this week I noticed he was heavily involved a lot in the run game, especially in the second half. It looked to me like he did an excellent job. Here are some examples:

Here (http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-fantasy/09000d5d812ccbca/Knowshon-Moreno-Highlight-WK-02-vs-Browns-2009) in the 4th quarter he blocks the olb #96 and Knowshon takes it inside for 17.

Here (http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-films-anatomy-of-a-play/09000d5d812c5732/WK-2-Can-t-Miss-Play-Buckhalter-TD-rush) on the next play, he comes across the LOS to the bottom of the screen to block the DB Elam and Buckhalter takes it to the house:

Double-whammy - Could not find a clip of this but earlier in the second half when Marshall took the handoff and ran left, Scheffler came across the LOS, made a block on the edge, then came off that block and made another block downfield. Marshall picked up the first and if he had beat his one guy it would have gone for more yardage.

I am not as adept as some on this board at assessing something like blocking performance, but he really stood out to me a couple of times and I'm curious if anyone else noticed.

Go Tony!! :strong:

I'm glad Scheffler is in there blocking this early in the season, should keep him fresh for the latter part of the season. (Unlike previous years when he's beaten up by week 6-10)
I still think he blocks like a WR though.
This is what I saw: The first video you posted, Scheffler failed to finish off the block. Nice dodge of the DE (which allowed the DE's momentum to take him OUT of the play), good contact on the OLB, then his feet froze ... and the OLB's pursuit narrowed the lane that Knowshon was running down.
The second video was just a good block, standard.

I DO like that we are using TE's to block a lot. The plotting and scheming of our offense has been fun to watch, not always pretty, but it works, we're 2-0 and starting to build some momentum... IMO - FULL credit to both out new coaches! :notworthy