PDA

View Full Version : How Did Philly Let This Guy Go?

prunch
09-21-2009, 11:38 PM
Unreal ...

http://www.gazette.com/sports/field-62481-altered-state.html

Altered state of consciousness directs Dawkins on field
Comments | Recommend
September 21, 2009 10:46 PM
FRANK SCHWAB
THE GAZETTE
ENGLEWOOD • Broncos safety Brian Dawkins is serious during the week, but usually more calm and thoughtful than insane.

He speaks with authority but somewhat quietly when asked questions.

He’s a 35-year-old family man who speaks earnestly about his religious faith.

On Sundays, there’s a different person inside the No. 20 jersey and helmet with the tinted visor. Dawkins has a never-ending resource of energy. Before the Broncos played Cincinnati two weeks ago, the team’s Web site had a camera on Dawkins as he got his teammates fired up.

There was nothing quiet or calm about it.

“Respect is not given, it is earned, doggone it!” Dawkins yelled in the pregame huddle and he bounced from side to side, watching his teammates’ reactions. “And they don’t respect us! Nobody respects us! You know what you’ve got to do in that situation?”

At that point, Dawkins’ voice became nearly demonic.

“Take it! Take it! Take the respect from somebody!” Dawkins said, hitting himself in the helmet and pacing about like he wanted to jump out of his skin. “Take it!”

While other players — Baltimore’s Ray Lewis and New Orleans’ Drew Brees are among them — put on a similar show in the pregame huddle, Dawkins’ motor never slows down, even when the defense isn’t on the field.

He’ll roam the sideline, even run onto the field when one of his offensive teammates goes down with an injury.

Whenever the offense or special teams are on the field, coach Josh McDaniels said Dawkins never stops shouting encouragement toward them.

“When I’m calling plays on offense, there’s not one time where I don’t hear him behind me,” McDaniels said. “And it’s all positive, it’s all the right things. And it’s not phony. It’s real leadership. Tremendous value in the things he says.”

The game wouldn’t be the same for Dawkins if he couldn’t be exuberant before the game, on the field or even on the sideline.

“I don’t take it for granted,” Dawkins said. “I love what I do. It is an opportunity for me to go out and have a great time.”

Give Dawkins credit for understanding his audience. For anyone who has turned on a NFL game and dreamed about playing the game with unbridled excitement and joy if given the chance, Dawkins is living the dream for you.

“(Fans) would love to do what I do for a living,” Dawkins said. “People come to the game to have a great time. I go to the games to have a great time. I am not going to allow anything to deter me from that.”

Dawkins said he was told in high school and college to tone it down, but that was never the case when he got to the NFL. So he lets it all hang out. He doesn’t script his pregame words. They come from pure emotion and adrenaline.

“I’m not trying to show off,” Dawkins said. “I do what I do. My teammates love it.”

Popps
09-21-2009, 11:43 PM
I friggin' love this guy. Hope he can hang on for a year or two more. What a huge difference it makes to have a S back there who has good instincts again.

OBF1
09-21-2009, 11:48 PM
If he can "Infect" the rest of the team with his fire, we will be fine.

Crushisback
09-21-2009, 11:53 PM
Eagles probably missed him a little Sunday. I have always loved the way this guy plays.

Williams
09-21-2009, 11:58 PM
I was wondering if this thread was gonna be about Dawkins or Buckhalter. Both have been outstanding.

BlaK-Argentina
09-22-2009, 12:06 AM
I LOVE Dawkins. Hard not to.

When I saw the video from the “Take it! Take it! Take the respect from somebody!” part I was freaking pumped and ready to beat the **** out of someone. And he's playing very well to boot!! GREAT signing!

lazarus4444
09-22-2009, 12:53 AM
Where is this video at? Link?

cutthemdown
09-22-2009, 01:10 AM
Because Russel been struggling completing passes, I predict some safety blitzes this week.

Baba Booey
09-22-2009, 01:11 AM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/vdctRjt5_uw&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/vdctRjt5_uw&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

tsiguy96
09-22-2009, 01:13 AM
this move was kinda overshadowed by the whole cutler thing, but it was such a great move its ridiculous how big of a steal we got him for: a measily few million this year and probably next year could completely change the broncos defense for a VERY long time. buckhalter was a great pickup as well, now that hes getting his real chance hes definitely making use of it.

lazarus4444
09-22-2009, 01:22 AM
Yes, everybody in Philly except their front office knew they ****ed up, their fans were livid and i don't blame them!

ChSuperStar
09-22-2009, 02:03 AM
One of the biggest signings this off season, no matter what the record of broncos is going to be at end of season... this guy with his leadership will make a huge difference for this defense and some of his team mates will become leaders along the way just by looking at him

GoBroncos DownUnder
09-22-2009, 07:12 AM
Yes, everybody in Philly except their front office knew they ****ed up, their fans were livid and i don't blame them!
Yep, their front office "rolled the dice" on not making Dawkins contract a priority, and they lost.
The story starts off with him talking about respect ... the Eagles let him leave and test the FA market, ... after all he has done for the franchise, that's some serious dis-respect there!
(FWIW - I love the collection of "old guys" we have playing DB.)

jhns
09-22-2009, 07:24 AM
I love watching this guy hit people for the Broncos. The eagles really screwed up letting him go. I also like how some of the young safties are playing. It was one of our weakest positions last year. Good to see good starters with depth.

barryr
09-22-2009, 07:51 AM
Dawkins was a great signing, no question about it. His experience, ability, and attitude is what was needed in the secondary.

s0phr0syne
09-22-2009, 07:57 AM
I love watching this guy hit people for the Broncos. The eagles really screwed up letting him go. I also like how some of the young safties are playing. It was one of our weakest positions last year. Good to see good starters with depth.

One person I haven't seen getting much props online has been Renaldo Hill. There were a lot of running plays where the back would get stuffed and I'd see 23 at the bottom of the pile. The dude was flying in for run support.

Not at all trying to take away from Dawkins, because he's been great, but I've been impressed by Hill's tackling as well.

SoDak Bronco
09-22-2009, 09:11 AM
I think the Dolphins missed Hill and Goodmen on the last drive against manning last ngiht.

TheDave
09-22-2009, 09:21 AM
dawkins has been an amazing FA acquisition... I wish we had him earlier in his career but I will enjoy the hell out of it for this year and maybe next.

Greatspirits
09-22-2009, 10:57 AM
Dawkins was a great sign, when was the last time one of our safetys actually hit someone so hard it prevented a catch? I've seen Dawk do that several times this year. Goodman and Hill and some of the rookies are also playing well. This is the best secondary we've had in a long time!

Bronco LB52
09-22-2009, 11:18 AM
In addition to Dawkins, I have a hard time wondering why the Eagles also let Correll Buckhalter go.

Gort
09-22-2009, 11:23 AM
Philly will be ok. they've got Michael Vick to replace him. He's a high character guy that everybody respects.

wait. what?

ZONA
09-22-2009, 11:58 AM
The Dawk is good for another 2 years after this season. Champ won't let him retire and I don't see anybody being close to beating him out.

BroncoFanatic
09-22-2009, 12:25 PM
I listen to local sports radio here in Philly every day on my commute. I'd say 98% of callers, and every one of the commentators, is still pissed off about the Eagles letting Dawkins go.

One commentator pointed out that Dawkins' replacement has had 3 tackles so far this season, while Dawkins has 17. They also cite an apparent lack of leadership on defense, also because of the loss of Dawkins.

Not much commentary on Buckhalter, though there is a lot of talk on how Westbrook is always injured, and has seemingly lost a step, maybe on the downhill slide.

Karenin
09-22-2009, 12:25 PM
I, for one, pine for the days when instead of signing real players to play safety, Mike Shanahan started guys off the street, who are back out of football now that the mastermind isn't around to give them jobs.