PDA

View Full Version : Tom Curran gives the Broncos some love

Pseudofool
09-21-2009, 12:58 PM
http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/32940525/ns/sports-nfl/

Broncos bucking the experts
Check out who’s 2-0 and leading the AFC West. The Broncos. You had that? Yeah, me neither.

In a battle between former Patriots coordinators, Josh McDaniels got the drop on the Browns and Eric Mangini, 27-6. The only thing that could possibly have stopped the offseason fixation on the loss of Jay Cutler and the ongoing irritation of Brandon Marshall was wins. And the Broncos — even opening with Cincinnati and Cleveland — didn’t figure to get them.

But think about this: Denver’s now beaten a Bengals team that walloped the Packers in Green Bay and they’ve bludgeoned Cleveland. They allowed just 200 total yards on Sunday and, in eight quarters, have allowed just one touchdown and 13 points.

--

Some props from the MSM? Hmmpf.

Rigs11
09-21-2009, 01:00 PM
Noticed that clayton hasn't said shet and King only complemented Dumervill, and did not list denver in the fine fifteen.Yet listed teams that are 1-1 in there

Dandaman
09-21-2009, 01:03 PM
Noticed that clayton hasn't said shet and King only complemented Dumervill, and did not list denver in the fine fifteen.Yet listed teams that are 1-1 in there

Heck King even listed an 0-2 team (Titans) in there.

OCBronco
09-21-2009, 01:09 PM
No worries. Let's keep flying under the radar. I really like the heart that I've seen out of this team so far. I think we'll sneak up on a few teams during our brutal run, and I don't see us getting completely destroyed by anyone. (At this point, not getting blown out 52-7) would be an improvement over last season.)

RMT
09-21-2009, 01:13 PM
No worries. Let's keep flying under the radar. I really like the heart that I've seen out of this team so far. I think we'll sneak up on a few teams during our brutal run, and I don't see us getting completely destroyed by anyone. (At this point, not getting blown out 52-7) would be an improvement over last season.)

the passion and enthusiasm of the defense has really become contagious. the challenge will be how the defense adjusts as teams down the road begin dissecting the Broncos' new 3-4 scheme and start finding different ways to attack it after the Broncos have played 4 or 5 games.

i'm really excited about the team this year - gotta love the blue collar type mentality of the team.

broncofan2438
09-21-2009, 01:15 PM
I like it. Let the boneheads continue to trash us...its all good in Broncoland

Popps
09-21-2009, 01:38 PM
A lot of dumb mother****ers talked a lot of dumb **** before ever watching this team take a snap.

Of course, most of them were on this board... but there was plenty of stupidity outside this board, too.

SoDak Bronco
09-21-2009, 02:03 PM
if we continue to win games, and pull a few upsets, they will be back on the train, tobad, i prefer to not have the attention.

doonwise
09-21-2009, 02:12 PM
a lot of dumb mother****ers talked a lot of dumb **** before ever watching this team take a snap.

Of course, most of them were on this board...

seconded.

SonOfLe-loLang
09-21-2009, 02:15 PM

Its not that we are flying under the radar, its that people hate admitting they were wrong. If we **** the bed over the next couple of weeks, i guarantee the people ignoring us now will say "i told you so"

Williams
09-21-2009, 02:20 PM
Go figure, McDaniels and Nolan may know more about football than the media "experts."

BMarsh615
09-21-2009, 02:38 PM
A lot of dumb mother****ers talked a lot of dumb **** before ever watching this team take a snap.

Of course, most of them were on this board... but there was plenty of stupidity outside this board, too.

Just give it a rest already man.

Bronx33
09-21-2009, 02:45 PM

http://assets.espn.go.com/i/columnists/clayton_john_m.jpg

Ummm iam currently at a WOW convention iam a level 9 drawf with healing powers FEAR ME!

RaiderH8r
09-21-2009, 02:53 PM

I'm right here. I've been most critical of McKid's offseason and I had them going 3-0 or 2-1 to start. It's the middle of the season when they start playing some quality teams that will truly test this club.

However, I give Mike Nolan all the credit in the world. I did not expect this defense to hold opponents to 13 points in two games. I figured the wins coming via 24-20 or 31-21 type scores. Nolan has the D flying around and hitting people. He seems to have found comfortable homes for guys and putting them in positions to succeed and Dawkins, right now, has a lot more in left in the tank than I was led to believe. Or maybe Dawkins running on half full is just that much better than what we've had back there in recent years. Either way it's a good thing.

The offense improved and I liked the fact that the O came out and played better second half football than first half football, making effective adjustments. I'm cautiously optimistic and I'll leave it at that.

DivineLegion
09-21-2009, 03:51 PM
They aren't going to start jumping on the band wagon until we play the Cowboys, Chargers and New England. When we get through those three games we will start to hear chatter from the talking heads. I say if we beat the raiders and win one of those games and go 4-2 through our first six they might actually consider us a good team. If we go 3-3 I say we are in trouble and the pundits pour it on.

The Cowboys game depends on which Tony Romo shows up for the game. They have a very physical defense and a HUGE offensive line, so I think we might have some matchup problems. We played well against the Bengals big O-line but they don't have the talent of the Cowgirls. We need to get Chris Kuper up and running for the Raiders game so he has some time to gel with the offensive if we want to stop the Freakishly talented Cowboys Defensive front.

Chris
09-21-2009, 03:56 PM
FYI Legion I'm pretty sure Kuper played yesterday. I don't really care what the pundits think, I'm just excited to sees us play some of these better teams (this starts next week, not in 2 weeks).

hambone13
09-21-2009, 04:10 PM

Yeah there was a lot stupid mother****ers talk'n a lot of dumb **** before a snap was taken and frankly, you're always neck 'n neck w/ the leaders.

DivineLegion
09-21-2009, 04:18 PM
FYI Legion I'm pretty sure Kuper played yesterday. I don't really care what the pundits think, I'm just excited to sees us play some of these better teams (this starts next week, not in 2 weeks).

Did he, I was at a bar full of Steelers and Bears fans so I was stuck with a small TV with no HD so I couldent really tell who all was out here at a given time. I recorded the game though, so I will have to check this out later. That would explain why our running game exploded.

He is still essential to our success against the Cowboys though, that Quick DT they have is really impressive. It seems like he can be worn down easily but that usually against bigger offensive lines like the Giants though. Good thing for the Broncos the Cowboys secondary is WAY over ratted.

chrisp
09-21-2009, 04:43 PM
I do think that we need to be cautious and recognise that at this stage the only thing that is guaranteed so far is that we aren't going 0-16 or 1-15. The rest is still up for grabs....

However you would have thought that even if it doesn't last, going pretty much from worst to first on defense would have been a story the media wanted to latch on to....ah well.

Thing is, what I want to see more than anything else in the world, is for this team to play better in the 2nd half of the season than it does in the first. OK, to be fair, if we go 8-0 then I won't be gutted if we go 7-1 for the rest, but you know what I mean.

Soooo many teams of recent years have faded down the stretch, I really want to be certain that whatever we put out there has staying power. With the approach to practice and conditioning completely revamped, I'm optimistic that will be the case, but I'l still be nervous all season.

Spider
09-21-2009, 04:51 PM

hey now .broncofan7 , Atwater his ass , and 707 are NOT dumb mother ****ers ........they are ****ing loons ;D

Sodak
09-21-2009, 05:16 PM

I'm not disagreeing with you here at all. But your smug, know-it-all approach to posting is also wearing a little thin.

Broncobuddy7
09-21-2009, 05:57 PM
I love the positive attitudes. I might have to change my avatar if this keeps up.

OOJack
09-21-2009, 05:58 PM

seriously, stfu

orinjkrush
09-21-2009, 06:52 PM
chokeland is a good bell weather. lose it go 2-1. win it and go 3-0.

and then comes the storm.

cutthemdown
09-21-2009, 07:25 PM
I wouldnt rank us top 15 yet either.

Popps
09-21-2009, 07:30 PM
I'm not disagreeing with you here at all. But your smug, know-it-all approach to posting is also wearing a little thin.

Yea, see.... you have it backwards.

I said that we DIDN'T know it all. I simply said we needed evidence for which to draw conclusions.

The dumb mother****ers were barfing out **** on this board about the franchise being "set back 50 years," and how we'd be "lucky to win 3 games... and how we were basically garbage.

This, without seeing a single regular season snap.

The more rational around here said that it was time for a change, and perhaps seeing how the change played out might be more prudent.

So, if you want to talk to the know-it-all crowd, talk to the people who definitively said our Broncos were **** before seeing a single game. They're the ones who discounted logic, reason and fairness in their judgment. Not me.

cutthemdown
09-21-2009, 07:39 PM
In fact I would say that Titans are still ahead of us at this point even at 0-2. But circumstances don't always let the win-loss play out and who the best teams are.

I think Broncos have a lot going for them and obviously those of us who blamed much of last yr on the horrid tackling by the linebackers and the safety's were right. The dline wasn't all to blame.

Already Dawkins has broken up several plays where the CB gave up the reception only to be bailed out by a jarring hit from Dawkins. We never saw that even once last yr. I can't remember one time where a CB got beat and was saved by the saftey.

They are called safety's for a reason, they should be the surest tacklers on the team.

We are fun to watch on defense though. Orton is still getting comfortable but when he zinged that big play to Gaffney I almost forgot about losing Cutler. Orton may be perfect for this offense. It's a pre-snap read type offense which plays into his strengths. It's not really an extend the play with athleticism offense like I think Cutler needs.

IMO Cutler at his best when he avoids a rush with his feet, moves around a bit and then hits a big play.

This offense more the read the defense, get on same page with WR, WR runs corresponding route and orton throws to that spot.

The Marshall thing a perfect example that Orton throwing to a spot anticipating the WR reading the blitz.

Although all offenses have a presnap read by the QB/WR/Center many players like Big Ben seem better after play breaks down a little. Of course we all know that was when Elway was also his best.

Orton though will buy into an offense more about throwing to spots on the field before WR breaks etc, because he knows he isn't a run around and make broken plays into winners type QB.

mhgaffney
09-21-2009, 08:01 PM
Strange I did not see a thread mentioning the key stat -- apart from wins.

Denver - believe it or not - leads the league in fewest points allowed per game.

6.5 = less than a TD per game. Not a bad stat to start.

lex
09-22-2009, 12:14 AM
Just so everyone knows, Tom Curran is a New Englander who practically worships Elway. He's on those NFL Network top 10 shows and practically speaks of Elway like he was a god. It was pleasing to see considering how many people equate playing on the better team with being the better QB. He seems to get it.

UberBroncoMan
09-22-2009, 04:11 AM
If we lose to the Raiders next week we can forget about being in any "rankings" for quite a while... however if the defense holds the Raiders to 7 or below and we score 17+ I think it will be impossible to hold us out... especially if Cleavland and Cincinnati both win next week as well. Maybe then we can crack top 15 near the end of the spectrum...

That said we don't deserve a reasonable ranking until we beat much better teams, which begins with Dallas.

ZONA
09-22-2009, 04:23 AM
He seems to have found comfortable homes for guys and putting them in positions to succeed and Dawkins, right now, has a lot more in left in the tank than I was led to believe.

Dawkins has been a fricken beast so far. Give him credit and Josh some credit for know he could still play and getting him in here.

OOJack
09-22-2009, 03:58 PM
Yea, see.... you have it backwards.

I said that we DIDN'T know it all. I simply said we needed evidence for which to draw conclusions.

The dumb mother****ers were barfing out **** on this board about the franchise being "set back 50 years," and how we'd be "lucky to win 3 games... and how we were basically garbage.

This, without seeing a single regular season snap.

The more rational around here said that it was time for a change, and perhaps seeing how the change played out might be more prudent.

So, if you want to talk to the know-it-all crowd, talk to the people who definitively said our Broncos were **** before seeing a single game. They're the ones who discounted logic, reason and fairness in their judgment. Not me.

stop being such a douche, chill the eff out, GO BRONCOS!

Popps
09-22-2009, 04:11 PM
stop being such a douche

Just setting the record straight. We needed evidence to judge this team, and now we have a little.

GO BRONCOS!

Been saying that the whole time.

No arguments here.