PDA

View Full Version : McDaniels teaching players to be smart

mizzoutigers
09-21-2009, 12:05 PM
Of the many things people say about this young guy, one has to be excited about the way he is teaching these players to be smart football players. I'm not saying other teams don't do this b/c obviously they probably are, but he stresses that the players on this team be aware of the clock, down and distance, where the ball is at on the field, and many other situational things. limiting turnovers combined with a smart, cohesive unit can really overcome talent disparity at times. it's one thing to have a smart coach or coaching staff, it's another to try and instill this same way of thinking and mentality into the players from qb to kicker. i think the kid will end up being a solid coach, though i know it's still extremely early, and i would be writing the same things if we were 0-2.

supermanhr9
09-21-2009, 12:20 PM
Hey Me and Peoples CHamp are in Missouri too. You going to the KC game in DEC?

And yes, every interview I have ever read talks about McDaniels putting players through every type of situation known, so they'll know what to do. I think it will really show it's true potential next year, however I am hoping we get stronger throughout the year, even though our record might not show it.

Conklin
09-21-2009, 12:33 PM
Hey Me and Peoples CHamp are in Missouri too. You going to the KC game in DEC?

And yes, every interview I have ever read talks about McDaniels putting players through every type of situation known, so they'll know what to do. I think it will really show it's true potential next year, however I am hoping we get stronger throughout the year, even though our record might not show it.

do i not count as a Missouri Fan?

OCBronco
09-21-2009, 01:14 PM
Of the many things people say about this young guy, one has to be excited about the way he is teaching these players to be smart football players. I'm not saying other teams don't do this b/c obviously they probably are, but he stresses that the players on this team be aware of the clock, down and distance, where the ball is at on the field, and many other situational things. limiting turnovers combined with a smart, cohesive unit can really overcome talent disparity at times. it's one thing to have a smart coach or coaching staff, it's another to try and instill this same way of thinking and mentality into the players from qb to kicker. i think the kid will end up being a solid coach, though i know it's still extremely early, and i would be writing the same things if we were 0-2.

+1

It sounds strange, but I thought a great example of this was at the end of the first half. The team played smart football, milked the clock, and put themselves in position to score again. The fans were booing Orton for throwing the ball away, but it was good, situational football. The Browns didn't have enough time to do anything after the missed field goal, and ran out the clock. Again, it doesn't really show up in the stat sheet, but it was smart football. I think this team is going to be fun to watch.

broncosteven
09-21-2009, 01:19 PM
+1

It sounds strange, but I thought a great example of this was at the end of the first half. The team played smart football, milked the clock, and put themselves in position to score again. The fans were booing Orton for throwing the ball away, but it was good, situational football. The Browns didn't have enough time to do anything after the missed field goal, and ran out the clock. Again, it doesn't really show up in the stat sheet, but it was smart football. I think this team is going to be fun to watch.

I didn't have a prob with Orton throwing the ball away, I would think that those in the stands could see the coverages better than we got on the TV so I was disappointed in the booing.

supermanhr9
09-21-2009, 02:30 PM
I heard there was a lot of silly booing. People will have to get used to smart football, versus the stupid High Risk, medium reward we had going with Cutler.

Sorry Conklin, I don't know all the MO fans on here yet.

PRBronco
09-21-2009, 03:16 PM
I don't know if it's so much about teaching them how to be smart, as it is about bringing in smarter players.

Pony Boy
09-21-2009, 03:37 PM

as the say in Missouri "Show Me"

Chris
09-21-2009, 03:47 PM
I don't know if it's so much about teaching them how to be smart, as it is about bringing in smarter players.

It's both. You've got to be smart (relative to your football average) to learn these things.

broncosteven
09-21-2009, 04:19 PM
It's both. You've got to be smart (relative to your football average) to learn these things.

From what I have seen through 6 weeks of McDaniels football I am guessing he is trying to get the team to be more physical and limit mistakes while he implements his new scheme.

A physical team can beat a finesse team if they limit their mistakes and keep the game close. I bet McDaniels learned this from Coughlin.

I think Shanny thought you could finess teams and win by outscoring or forcing a team away from it's strength because they are behind. We needed a change, I hope this keeps up.

I am hoping McDaniels wants to keep games close this year and steal a couple of games where we should be out matched on paper.

1998Eternal
09-21-2009, 08:29 PM
Mcd's System is setting in things are starting to look up, so far so good the 4-3.

BroncoBuff
09-21-2009, 08:32 PM

All I know is your avatar is majorly funny/creative :~ohyah!:

ward63
09-21-2009, 09:53 PM
Intelligence + effort > talent almost always in my opinion

cutthemdown
09-21-2009, 09:57 PM
I didn't have a prob with Orton throwing the ball away, I would think that those in the stands could see the coverages better than we got on the TV so I was disappointed in the booing.

they are used to Cutler throwing it no matter what......

cutthemdown
09-21-2009, 10:07 PM
Cutler taught a lot of Bronco fans you just sling the ball out there no matter what.

SouthCarolinaBronco
09-21-2009, 10:45 PM
I see a smarter team on the field, and I don't know how much credit goes to the new coach, but whoever is teaching them is doing a good job. Best example in my mind was Brandon Stokley running along the front of the end zone to run time down last week, probably cost the Bungles a play.

broncosteven
09-22-2009, 01:44 PM
Cutler taught a lot of Bronco fans you just sling the ball out there no matter what.

I like the conservative, physical play. Once the Wr's and QB digest the system and know where each other will be they should be even better.

barryr
09-22-2009, 05:30 PM
Understanding situations is key to teams winning more often than not. Limiting penalties and mistakes, such as blown coverages and missed assignments lose games.

Just the last couple of weeks, including both NFL and college games, I saw a ton of blown coverages from secondaries where CB's thought it was a zone and safeties either late in coverage or though man was being played and WR's left wide open for big plays.

The Broncos the last few years have been especially poor with that, but hasn't been a big problem so far this season.

BroncoBuff
09-22-2009, 05:58 PM
I've done a complete 180 on the idea that an assistant coach can "make the player" ... there might be something to that after all.