PDA

View Full Version : Our "Brutal" Schedule, Revisited

Rock Chalk
09-21-2009, 11:13 AM
OK folks, after seeing our team two weeks and seeing the rest of the NFL after two weeks, I think I am going to revisit our schedule predictions.

Den @ Oak: W - JaMarcus Russell has a 35% completion percentange on the year. Stop the run, stop Oakland.
Dal @ Den: W - Dallas' defense doesn't look all that great to me. Their offense can be fooled. We will have to put 24+ points on the board in this game, but this is winnable.
NE @ Den: W - NE's defense looks old nad slow and their offense is missing something....McDaniels?
Den @ SD: L - I think Denver is going to go toe to toe with SD in this game but we gotta lose sometime and this is one that until we beat Rivers in SD I'm not giving us the benefit of the doubt.
BYE (Record: 5-1)
Den @ Bal: L - Im tempted to give us the W here, coming out of the bye, off a loss, Denver should be prepared, but Im not sold, Baltimore looks pretty strong.
Pitt @ Den: W - Call it what you will, but Pitt is not the team that won the title last year. The o-line is trash, overload the right side and have at Big Ben. Their run game is bad and they cannot convert 3rd and short.
Den @ Wash: W - Washington sucks folks. They might be almost as bad as the Rams and Detroit. 3 FGs against St Louis, at home to win 9-7? Blech.
SD @ Denver: W - Paybacks bitch, and we do it convincingly.
NYG @ Den: L - Giants look like Contenders, Denver does not.
Den @ KC: W - This is a close one because its always tough in Narrowhead but I think we squeek one out here.
Den @ Indy: L - Peyton has our number, period. 3-4 might confuse him but I dont think we have the proper 3-4 to really get Peyton off his game.
Oak @ Den: W - A demolishing Performance by Denver folks.
Den @ Phi: W/L - Im leaning towards L but this depends on which Philly team we see. The Jekyll or the Hyde. We are going L for our final standings though.
KC @ Denver: W - See the Oakland game.

11-5 looks like the BEST we can do. But as of right now, the way Denver has played vs the way the rest of the teams on our schedule have played, I believe we COULD get there. It just doesn't look as daunting anymore.

Odds are good it will be 9-7 or 10-6 but I am having a really hard time figuring this team finishes at or below .500.

SoDak Bronco
09-21-2009, 11:21 AM
Lets Hope Philly runs the table and is able to start there backups in the week 16 game.

BroncoBuff
09-21-2009, 11:22 AM
Good thread, good analysis.

Every year the schedules that looked hard or easy in August start looking different as the season unfolds.

If this D keeps rolling, and Kyle avoids ints, I agree, we could be 5-1 going into the Bye. :thumbs:

Popcorn Sutton
09-21-2009, 11:22 AM
OK folks, after seeing our team two weeks and seeing the rest of the NFL after two weeks, I think I am going to revisit our schedule predictions.

Den @ Oak: W - JaMarcus Russell has a 35% completion percentange on the year. Stop the run, stop Oakland.
Dal @ Den: W - Dallas' defense doesn't look all that great to me. Their offense can be fooled. We will have to put 24+ points on the board in this game, but this is winnable.
NE @ Den: W - NE's defense looks old nad slow and their offense is missing something....McDaniels?
Den @ SD: L - I think Denver is going to go toe to toe with SD in this game but we gotta lose sometime and this is one that until we beat Rivers in SD I'm not giving us the benefit of the doubt.
Den @ Bal: L - Im tempted to give us the W here, coming out of the bye, off a loss, Denver should be prepared, but Im not sold, Baltimore looks pretty strong.
Pitt @ Den: W - Call it what you will, but Pitt is not the team that won the title last year. The o-line is trash, overload the right side and have at Big Ben. Their run game is bad and they cannot convert 3rd and short.
Den @ Wash: W - Washington sucks folks. They might be almost as bad as the Rams and Detroit. 3 FGs against St Louis, at home to win 9-7? Blech.
SD @ Denver: W - Paybacks b****, and we do it convincingly.
Den @ KC: W - This is a close one because its always tough in Narrowhead but I think we squeek one out here.
Den @ Indy: L - Peyton has our number, period. 3-4 might confuse him but I dont think we have the proper 3-4 to really get Peyton off his game.
Den @ Phi: W/L - Im leaning towards L but this depends on which Philly team we see. The Jekyll or the Hyde. We are going L for our final standings though.

11-5 looks like the BEST we can do. But as of right now, the way Denver has played vs the way the rest of the teams on our schedule have played, I believe we COULD get there. It just doesn't look as daunting anymore.

Odds are good it will be 9-7 or 10-6 but I am having a really hard time figuring this team finishes at or below .500.

Dallas is playing better than what the score showed last night. I'm afraid their offense will give our defense fits because of Witten. They also have a gargantuan line that does a good job in run blocking. Being perfectly honest with myself I don't see that as being a win.

New England scares me from the stand point that Belichick disciples have not faired well in their first game against their former mentor.

I think we'll pull a few of the "tough" games in the middle of the schedule out but I'm trying to not look past this week. Oakland is running the ball well and Russell is hit or miss. If he is playing well they are a pretty good team. They are showing a lot of improvement on defense.

I still feel like we are a 6-10 to 7-9 team this year. I'd be happy to eat some crow on this prediction.

toad
09-21-2009, 11:27 AM
Still seems like wishful thinking to me.....I think DAL, PIT, and NE, although not the juggernauts they were thought to be 2 weeks ago, are still likely to beat us...its hard to say w/ SD

DeuceOfClub
09-21-2009, 11:27 AM
Until I see at least McSixteen McWins up there, I'm McCalling this one McBS.

Rock Chalk
09-21-2009, 11:29 AM
Dallas is playing better than what the score showed last night. I'm afraid their offense will give our defense fits because of Witten. They also have a gargantuan line that does a good job in run blocking. Being perfectly honest with myself I don't see that as being a win.

New England scares me from the stand point that Belichick disciples have not faired well in their first game against their former mentor.

I think we'll pull a few of the "tough" games in the middle of the schedule out but I'm trying to not look past this week. Oakland is running the ball well and Russell is hit or miss. If he is playing well they are a pretty good team. They are showing a lot of improvement on defense.

I still feel like we are a 6-10 to 7-9 team this year. I'd be happy to eat some crow on this prediction.

If the Dallas and NE games were on the road they'd be L's.

I just don't believe we are going to lose either of those games at home. The schedule would be a lot more difficult if most of those home games we got were on the road but we get Pitt, NE, Dallas and the Giants at home whereas we have to go to Washington, Philly, Baltimore and Indy on the road. Of those road games, we probably go 1-3.

Jamarcus Russell is not hit or miss. He is horrible. 35% completion percentage in the NFL is flat out horrible. People complain when your completion precentage gets under 60%, and he is 25% UNDER THAT. If we stop Oakland's run game, they have NO SHOT and the way our defense stuffed Benson (who in turn, went to GB and ran for 141) I like our chances.

That being said, you just never know how the ball bounces. The 11-5 prediction is a best case scenario for this team IMO. 6-10 is ridiculous though, there is no way we are going under .500 from what I have seen of the NFL teams this year.

Rock Chalk
09-21-2009, 11:33 AM
Still seems like wishful thinking to me.....I think DAL, PIT, and NE, although not the juggernauts they were thought to be 2 weeks ago, are still likely to beat us...its hard to say w/ SD

So you dont think we can beat NE - who looked very beatable in their game against Buffalo and, then turned around and didnt even score a TD against the Jets - at home?

Maybe we don't win 1 or 2 of those games but Im pretty certain we take AT LEAST one of them.

We'll know more in a few weeks but the point of this was really to show that our daunting schedule everyone fretted about really doesn't look nearly as daunting now.

Old Dude
09-21-2009, 11:39 AM
Every year there are several teams who perform better than expected and several other supposed playoff contenders who fade.

Injuries take their toll to drive teams down. Young or revitalized players can perform better than expected. Some groups fall apart; others gel.

It's really hard to see more than a game or two down the road, so what looks like a hopeless game now might not look nearly so hopeless in a month or two. Likewise, some supposed pushovers turn out much tougher than expected. Then add in flukes and bounces of the ball and missed/bad official calls and rivalries and the natural ups and downs of the season and who the heck knows where it all leads.

Beantown Bronco
09-21-2009, 11:44 AM
I think we'll pull a few of the "tough" games in the middle of the schedule out but I'm trying to not look past this week.

Bah, we're fans, not players. We are allowed to look past opponents to see what's ahead.

Popcorn Sutton
09-21-2009, 11:49 AM
If the Dallas and NE games were on the road they'd be L's.

I just don't believe we are going to lose either of those games at home. The schedule would be a lot more difficult if most of those home games we got were on the road but we get Pitt, NE, Dallas and the Giants at home whereas we have to go to Washington, Philly, Baltimore and Indy on the road. Of those road games, we probably go 1-3.

Jamarcus Russell is not hit or miss. He is horrible. 35% completion percentage in the NFL is flat out horrible. People complain when your completion precentage gets under 60%, and he is 25% UNDER THAT. If we stop Oakland's run game, they have NO SHOT and the way our defense stuffed Benson (who in turn, went to GB and ran for 141) I like our chances.

That being said, you just never know how the ball bounces. The 11-5 prediction is a best case scenario for this team IMO. 6-10 is ridiculous though, there is no way we are going under .500 from what I have seen of the NFL teams this year.

I hope you are right. I think it's a bit early to predict but I like your optimism.

Popcorn Sutton
09-21-2009, 11:50 AM
Bah, we're fans, not players. We are allowed to look past opponents to see what's ahead.

True, I guess my point is I'm concerned about winning this week. Oak should have been San Diego in week 1.

NYBronc
09-21-2009, 11:51 AM
So you dont think we can beat NE - who looked very beatable in their game against Buffalo and, then turned around and didnt even score a TD against the Jets - at home?

That game was at the Meadowlands and the Jets D is legit. But NE looks vulnerable, I agree.

atomicbloke
09-21-2009, 11:52 AM
Did you notice that we play 4 good teams coming off bye weeks? That's a huge disadvantage. It is tough to go on the road against an east coast team, that is coming off a bye week, and an early game to boot.... Shanny's teams would fare very badly in such situations... let's see if Mcd can work on this aspect....

Also, after our own bye week, we play the Ravens.... who will also be coming off a bye week.... thus our own bye week advantage is nullified....

The schedule is indded brutal....

RhymesayersDU
09-21-2009, 11:52 AM
Still a little ambitious for my taste. The Dallas game will be telling, because they have many weapons on offense. If our defense can keep up with them, I'll be sold on them and your predictions. I do think the offense will be fine.

Rock Chalk
09-21-2009, 11:55 AM
True, I guess my point is I'm concerned about winning this week. Oak should have been San Diego in week 1.

Oh, its a week to week thing for sure, Old Dude is right you just never know whats going to happen with injuries, miracles, swoons, fades, etc.

The schedule just doesnt appear to be as daunting and this was more about perceptions of the schedule than actual predictions (even though I made them). All things being equal, its not out of the realm of possibility for this team to go 11-5.

I guess its not out of the real of possibility that we go 6-10, but from what Ive seen I am just having a hard time buying into that.

BroncoMan4ever
09-21-2009, 11:57 AM
Lets Hope Philly runs the table and is able to start there backups in the week 16 game.

Philly is always a team that irks me. they are so Jekyl and Hyde in their play. 1 week they look like a super bowl contender and the next they look like a team that the Rams or Lions could destroy.

if they don't run the table, i hope we get them on one of their bad weeks.

Rock Chalk
09-21-2009, 11:58 AM
Did you notice that we play 4 good teams coming off bye weeks? That's a huge disadvantage. It is tough to go on the road against an east coast team, that is coming off a bye week, and an early game to boot.... Shanny's teams would fare very badly in such situations... let's see if Mcd can work on this aspect....

Also, after our own bye week, we play the Ravens.... who will also be coming off a bye week.... thus our own bye week advantage is nullified....

The schedule is indded brutal....

Shanny isn't here so I don't know how we are going to fare against East coast teams on the road in early games.

I also didn't give us the win against the Ravens coming off a loss AND a bye week, if you notice. Anything is possible though.

Its not AS brutal as it looked because some of those teams we play do indeed look a little less powerful this year and Denver does indeed look a little better than most of us thought they would.

11-5 is a BEST CASE scenario for this team, for the third time. 9-7 does seem more likely to me though.

2KBack
09-21-2009, 12:00 PM

Wait, you mean what we say here doesn't make a difference? None of us are on the roster or attend meetings?

Man, this turns my whole world upside down.

Beantown Bronco
09-21-2009, 12:09 PM
Wait, you mean what we say here doesn't make a difference? None of us are on the roster or attend meetings?

Man, this turns my whole world upside down.

Nice.

Just came too close to one of my two message board pet peeves.

1. Posters telling other posters not to look ahead/overlook the current opponent.
2. Posters bringing up the concept of "karma" in response to other posts. Like any of us really have that much control over the universe because of what we write here.

2KBack
09-21-2009, 12:12 PM
Nice.

1. Posters telling other posters not to look ahead/overlook the current opponent.
2. Posters bringing up the concept of "karma" in response to other posts. Like any of us really have that much control over the universe because of what we write here.

I agree actually.

I just have amazing sarcasm

McMastermind
09-21-2009, 12:14 PM
11-5 is a BEST CASE scenario for this team, for the third time. 9-7 does seem more likely to me though.

Yep...I have no idea how people are actually coming up with only 4-5 wins.

I've been saying for months....
2-0 vs. Ohio
4-2 vs. AFCW (split SD, sweep one but not both of KC & Oak)
2-2 vs. NFCE
2-2 vs. NE, Balt, Pitt, Indy.

Popcorn Sutton
09-21-2009, 12:19 PM
Nice.

Calm down Skippy. I said "I'm trying to not look past this week." You can look ahead all you want to.

loborugger
09-21-2009, 12:25 PM
Dallas dominated the game last night. Tony single-handedly cost his team that game. I thought their defense played fairly effectively. They worked hard at shutting down the run and did a good job.

I would agree that we should win at Oakland, for the reasons stated above - Jamarcus, stop the run...

I think, however, I am gonna wait and see how we do against a competent NFL team. And that competent NFL team is going to be Dallas in week 4. That, and we will have a better feel for every other team out there, too. At that point, I will decide whether or not to jump onto the 'we're going above .500 and probably to the playoffs' bandwagon.

Mogulseeker
09-21-2009, 12:29 PM
Denver ALWAYS loses @ KC, no matter how good the Broncos are and how bad the Chiefs are.

Beantown Bronco
09-21-2009, 12:30 PM
Yep...I have no idea how people are actually coming up with only 4-5 wins.

I've been saying for months....
2-0 vs. Ohio
4-2 vs. AFCW (split SD, sweep one but not both of KC & Oak)
2-2 vs. NFCE
2-2 vs. NE, Balt, Pitt, Indy.

4 wins might be pushing it, but I could see 5 wins. Let's be clear, I've been consistently in the 7 win category, but I couldn't call someone insane in the preseason for saying the following games looked like likely losses:

All away division games and home game against SD
NE, Balt, Pitt, Indy
Giants, Cowboys, Philly

Rock Chalk
09-21-2009, 12:54 PM
4 wins might be pushing it, but I could see 5 wins. Let's be clear, I've been consistently in the 7 win category, but I couldn't call someone insane in the preseason for saying the following games looked like likely losses:

All away division games and home game against SD
NE, Balt, Pitt, Indy
Giants, Cowboys, Philly

What about now?

gtown
09-21-2009, 12:55 PM
I think the rest of the way we go:

3-3 vs AFC West (swept by SD, sweep KC, split Oak)
1-3 vs NFC East (beat DC)
1-3 vs NE, Balt, Pitt, Indy

That equates to 7-9. Not bad, especially considering where we were at the beginning of preseason. He have literally doubled the amount of wins I thought we would have, which is beating expectations to me by a long shot. I think .500 is our horizon this year.

Popps
09-21-2009, 12:59 PM
Good thread, though keep in mind... things could look significantly different in just a few weeks. (Injuries, etc.)

I'm still thinking somewhere around a .500 finish is likely, and provided we're playing competitively and improving... that's a success. Anything better is a raging success.

Beantown Bronco
09-21-2009, 12:59 PM
Calm down Skippy. I said "I'm trying to not look past this week." You can look ahead all you want to.

Which is why I specifically wrote that you came CLOSE to my pet peeve.

Beantown Bronco
09-21-2009, 01:04 PM
What about now?

I'll stick with 7-8 wins.

split all 3 division rivals
2-2 vs NFC East
1-3 vs NE, Balt, Pitt, Indy

Popcorn Sutton
09-21-2009, 01:14 PM
Which is why I specifically wrote that you came CLOSE to my pet peeve.

:sunshine:

Funny that you came close to one of my pet peeves.

1. Posters who put words in other posters mouths.

However, you said "CLOSE" so it's all sunshine and smiles.

broncosteven
09-21-2009, 01:16 PM

WOW!

If we do this we go to the SB.

I just want them to beat Oakland next week and worry about the rest later.

It is easy to get excited beating a team that hasn't scored a TD since 11/08.

Dagmar
09-21-2009, 01:40 PM
WOW!

Well, we could be Tampa Bay, the other young rookie head coach isn't doing great.

Beantown Bronco
09-21-2009, 01:42 PM
Well, we could be Tampa Bay, the other young rookie head coach isn't doing great.

Seriously, nobody really brings them up, but they could easily be in the running for worst team this season. Brutal division and they just plain suck.

Rock Chalk
09-21-2009, 01:47 PM
WOW!

Still cant stop being a douche in every thread? I thought you were on the homer bandwagon? Epic fail there.

Besides, that's not what Im excited about.

What I am excited about is holding Cincy to 7 points when they just went on the road and put 31 down on GB's vaunted defense.

Holding Cleveland to 200 yards and 2 FGs, one of which was gift wrapped for them, when they hung 24 total points on Minnesota's vaunted defense.

That NE, Pittsburgh, SD, Philly and Dallas all look like beatable, if tough, teams.

That Oakland and KC are still bad teams, despite what many here want to think about Oakland. Their play against SD in the first game of the season is more of an indictment against SD than it is a props to Oakland.

That our brutal schedule is starting to look a little easier, though by no means "easy" and that the overly negative views of this team seem far fetched.

Atwater His Ass STILL thinks we will only win 2 more games this year. TWO. Its one thing to disagree, its quite another to just be a ****ing hater.

Irish Stout
09-21-2009, 01:59 PM
I guess I still don't understand what makes us so bad that people predict we'll only win 2, 4, or 5 more games. Talent and coaching wise, what makes us worse than SD? Doesn't it seem like Pitts has more holes in their team than we do? Aren't both Indy and NE a lot older and more injury prone than we are? Do either Manning or Brady have the protection they once did?

Granted we don't know how good our D is until we continue to see them perform, but right now, I just can't see how are team is that noticeably worse than any other team.

Garcia Bronco
09-21-2009, 02:32 PM

I know for a fact that what I post here becomes reality.

Old Dude
09-21-2009, 02:34 PM
Well, I'll play along just a bit ...

Before the season started, most prognosticators would've broken the AFC down into three categories: (a) prime contenders, (b) up-and-coming darkhorses, and (c) the dregs.

Prime contenders: Steelers (defending champs), Titans (great record last season), Patriots (11-5 last year without Tom Brady), Chargers (lots of talent + return of Merriman in an easy division) and probably the Colts (Manning and an improving defense).

Up-and-Comers: Baltimore (Flacco had a surprising season + an always great D), Miami (Parcels miracle turnaround from 1-15 to 11-5), NY Jets (heavy investment in the D and high profile rookie QB), Houston (seemingly knocking on the respectibility door harder every year), and Cincinnati (above average defense last year + return of Carson Palmer with circus weapons Ocho, Henry and Coles.)

Then you had the hopeless dregs: (In no particular order) Cleveland (lacking QB and supporting weapons), Kansas City (torn down to scratch), Oakland (Al Davis screwing up everything), Denver (in total disarray, with rookie cioach, horrid D, weak running game and lost its franchise QB), Jacksonville (huge problems on offense and a mediocre D) and Buffalo (Same as Jacksonville, but add TO as a distraction.)

So after two weeks, what have we seen?

The "Prime Contenders" don't look that prime. Pittsburgh is 1-1 and apparently has no running game. Tennessee is 0-2 and misses Haynesworth. The Pats barely beat the Bills in week one, then got handled by the Jets. Brady doesn't look like the same guy and his supporting cast may have weakened to the point where he may be a mere mortal. The Chargers are lucky to be 1-1, have already seen LT in a boot, their O-Line badly banged up, Jamal Williams gone, and Merriman with all kinds of weird issues. We don't know much about the Colts yet, but losing Anthony Gonzales hasn't helped them.

None of those teams look unbeatable or dominating at this point.

In the up-and-coming category, Houston is scoring a lot, but their D looks like a sieve and we all know how that plays out. Baltimore looks like they have a stronger O than we even suspected, but they lost a lot of their D to the Jets. The Jets are looking very good, but how far can a rookie QB take them? And they are still trying to steal WRs from all over the league (and getting sued almost weekly for it.) Cincy looked awful against Denver until it redeemed itself some this week, but no one views them as a powerhouse. The Dolphins started off with a loss and aren't going to sneak up on anyone this year.

So mixed results there, but no one really stands out as dominant (except in the minds of the east coast media.)

Of the teams in the "dregs," Denver is 2-0. The team seems to have a much improved D and whatever else you want to say, the O looks better than it looked during the 4-game fade at the end of last season, with reason to think it will get better rather than worse.

So, in view of all of that, if Denver can beat the Raiders on the road this week and go to 3-0, then I think they'll have officially moved from the "dregs" to the up-and-coming category.

And folks ... there's not that much difference right now between the up-and comers and the elite.

Yes, it's possible that they could actually win this division if they keep improving and if things break their way.

TheDave
09-21-2009, 02:55 PM
I assumed we would be 2-2 after the Dallas game... now I'm thi king 3-1.

As for the entire season:

Den @ Oak: W - they are the definition of 1 dimensional
Dal @ Den: L - Just too many weapons for our offense to keep up with
NE @ Den: W - A vulnerable looking team but in a matchup of coaches Hoodie Jr. wins
Den @ SD: L - Norved or Not they still have our number
Den @ Bal: L - Baltimore is my Superbowl favorite right now
Pitt @ Den: L - Polamalu should be back and that makes the difference
Den @ Wash: W - Washington still sucks
SD @ Denver: L - I just can't get that last game out of my head
NYG @ Den: L - not really sure but they just seem vastly superior to us
Den @ KC: W - Could be the worst team in the league at this point
Den @ Indy: L - Until Peyton stops being Peyton this will always be an L
Oak @ Den: L - Only because I don't think we will sweep them
Den @ Phi: L - Another east coast hangover
KC @ Denver: W - They still suck... hell they might always suck

7-9 better than I thought...

broncosteven
09-21-2009, 02:59 PM
Still cant stop being a douche in every thread? I thought you were on the homer bandwagon? Epic fail there.

Besides, that's not what Im excited about.

What I am excited about is holding Cincy to 7 points when they just went on the road and put 31 down on GB's vaunted defense.

Holding Cleveland to 200 yards and 2 FGs, one of which was gift wrapped for them, when they hung 24 total points on Minnesota's vaunted defense.

That NE, Pittsburgh, SD, Philly and Dallas all look like beatable, if tough, teams.

That Oakland and KC are still bad teams, despite what many here want to think about Oakland. Their play against SD in the first game of the season is more of an indictment against SD than it is a props to Oakland.

That our brutal schedule is starting to look a little easier, though by no means "easy" and that the overly negative views of this team seem far fetched.

Atwater His Ass STILL thinks we will only win 2 more games this year. TWO. Its one thing to disagree, its quite another to just be a ****ing hater.

I wasn't trying to be a douche, if we beat those teams there is no reason not to think we go to the SB and face the Aints. It is week 2 though, that is why I would like to focus on beating the raiders 1st.

I put the offseason behind me why can't everyone else?

The problem is people get too high when we win and too low when we lose.

I hope we go 11-5 and deep into the playoffs and put the off season behind all of us.

Popcorn Sutton
09-21-2009, 03:09 PM
Well, I'll play along just a bit ...

Before the season started, most prognosticators would've broken the AFC down into three categories: (a) prime contenders, (b) up-and-coming darkhorses, and (c) the dregs.

Prime contenders: Steelers (defending champs), Titans (great record last season), Patriots (11-5 last year without Tom Brady), Chargers (lots of talent + return of Merriman in an easy division) and probably the Colts (Manning and an improving defense).

Up-and-Comers: Baltimore (Flacco had a surprising season + an always great D), Miami (Parcels miracle turnaround from 1-15 to 11-5), NY Jets (heavy investment in the D and high profile rookie QB), Houston (seemingly knocking on the respectibility door harder every year), and Cincinnati (above average defense last year + return of Carson Palmer with circus weapons Ocho, Henry and Coles.)

Then you had the hopeless dregs: (In no particular order) Cleveland (lacking QB and supporting weapons), Kansas City (torn down to scratch), Oakland (Al Davis screwing up everything), Denver (in total disarray, with rookie cioach, horrid D, weak running game and lost its franchise QB), Jacksonville (huge problems on offense and a mediocre D) and Buffalo (Same as Jacksonville, but add TO as a distraction.)

So after two weeks, what have we seen?

The "Prime Contenders" don't look that prime. Pittsburgh is 1-1 and apparently has no running game. Tennessee is 0-2 and misses Haynesworth. The Pats barely beat the Bills in week one, then got handled by the Jets. Brady doesn't look like the same guy and his supporting cast may have weakened to the point where he may be a mere mortal. The Chargers are lucky to be 1-1, have already seen LT in a boot, their O-Line badly banged up, Jamal Williams gone, and Merriman with all kinds of weird issues. We don't know much about the Colts yet, but losing Anthony Gonzales hasn't helped them.

None of those teams look unbeatable or dominating at this point.

In the up-and-coming category, Houston is scoring a lot, but their D looks like a sieve and we all know how that plays out. Baltimore looks like they have a stronger O than we even suspected, but they lost a lot of their D to the Jets. The Jets are looking very good, but how far can a rookie QB take them? And they are still trying to steal WRs from all over the league (and getting sued almost weekly for it.) Cincy looked awful against Denver until it redeemed itself some this week, but no one views them as a powerhouse. The Dolphins started off with a loss and aren't going to sneak up on anyone this year.

So mixed results there, but no one really stands out as dominant (except in the minds of the east coast media.)

Of the teams in the "dregs," Denver is 2-0. The team seems to have a much improved D and whatever else you want to say, the O looks better than it looked during the 4-game fade at the end of last season, with reason to think it will get better rather than worse.

So, in view of all of that, if Denver can beat the Raiders on the road this week and go to 3-0, then I think they'll have officially moved from the "dregs" to the up-and-coming category.

And folks ... there's not that much difference right now between the up-and comers and the elite.

Yes, it's possible that they could actually win this division if they keep improving and if things break their way.

Wow. Great post.

Old Dude
09-21-2009, 03:13 PM
When it's all said and done, playoff chances usually boil down to how you did in your own division.

Rock Chalk
10-06-2009, 09:39 PM

Im revising.

NE @ Den: Push - NE looks a lot better than when I made this originally. Brady is getting back to form, their defense is still suspect though.
Den @ SD: W -San Diego looks like absolute garbage on defense and their running game has now failed too. They look more and more like the 2008 Broncos.
Den @ Bal: L - Im still tempted to give Denver the win but **** I hate playing in Baltimore, we just don't do well there.
Pitt @ Den: W - Call it what you will, but Pitt is not the team that won the title last year. The o-line is trash, overload the right side and have at Big Ben. Their run game is bad and they cannot convert 3rd and short. (I saw no reason to change this)
Den @ Wash: W - Washington sucks folks. They might be almost as bad as the Rams and Detroit. 3 FGs against St Louis, at home to win 9-7? Blech.(I saw no reason to change this)
SD @ Denver: W - Paybacks b****, and we do it convincingly. (I saw no reason to change this)
NYG @ Den: L - Giants look like Contenders, Denver does too but they did play Dallas much tougher defensively than NYG did.
Den @ KC: W - ****, its not close. KC sucks balls.
Den @ Indy: L - Man, if we somehow win this game we are going to the superbowl but I dont see it, not the way Peyton is playing and not how he can make a frenchman a star NFL receiver.
Den @ Phi: W/L - Im leaning towards L but this depends on which Philly team we see. The Jekyll or the Hyde. We are going L for our final standings though. (I saw no reason to change this)

Im still hovering around the 11-5 mark. I just don't see this team losing that many more and SD is NOT scary this year. Pittsburgh isn't the same and we already knocked off Dallas like I said (though we did not need 24 points because our defense kicks major ass...can I get an amen?).

GreatBronco16
10-06-2009, 09:55 PM
Im revising.

NE @ Den: Push - NE looks a lot better than when I made this originally. Brady is getting back to form, their defense is still suspect though.
Den @ SD: W -San Diego looks like absolute garbage on defense and their running game has now failed too. They look more and more like the 2008 Broncos.
Den @ Bal: L - Im still tempted to give Denver the win but **** I hate playing in Baltimore, we just don't do well there.
Pitt @ Den: W - Call it what you will, but Pitt is not the team that won the title last year. The o-line is trash, overload the right side and have at Big Ben. Their run game is bad and they cannot convert 3rd and short. (I saw no reason to change this)
Den @ Wash: W - Washington sucks folks. They might be almost as bad as the Rams and Detroit. 3 FGs against St Louis, at home to win 9-7? Blech.(I saw no reason to change this)
SD @ Denver: W - Paybacks b****, and we do it convincingly. (I saw no reason to change this)
NYG @ Den: L - Giants look like Contenders, Denver does too but they did play Dallas much tougher defensively than NYG did.
Den @ Indy: L - Man, if we somehow win this game we are going to the superbowl but I dont see it, not the way Peyton is playing and not how he can make a frenchman a star NFL receiver.
Den @ Phi: W/L - Im leaning towards L but this depends on which Philly team we see. The Jekyll or the Hyde. We are going L for our final standings though. (I saw no reason to change this)

Im still hovering around the 11-5 mark. I just don't see this team losing that many more and SD is NOT scary this year. Pittsburgh isn't the same and we already knocked off Dallas like I said (though we did not need 24 points because our defense kicks major ass...can I get an amen?).

I'll buy that, but I'm thinking 10-6 at best.

_Oro_
10-07-2009, 07:04 AM
Amazing how things change when your 4-0. Basically we have to beat the teams we should beat and we could get in.

lex
10-07-2009, 07:22 AM
If Denver can win 4/5 division games, they would need to squeeze out two more wins beyond that.

What has happened so far:
Cin-W (1)
Cle-W (2)
Oak-W(3)
Dal-W(4)

If we can win 4/5 div games:
KC-W(5)
KC-W(6)
Oak-W(7)
SD-W(8)

We have one game vs Washington that seems to be winnable (9). We need to win one other game to get 10 wins.

Rock Chalk
10-07-2009, 08:51 AM
If Denver can win 4/5 division games, they would need to squeeze out two more wins beyond that.

What has happened so far:
Cin-W (1)
Cle-W (2)
Oak-W(3)
Dal-W(4)

If we can win 4/5 div games:
KC-W(5)
KC-W(6)
Oak-W(7)
SD-W(8)

We have one game vs Washington that seems to be winnable (9). We need to win one other game to get 10 wins.

We could sweep the division. So that's one of the other potential wins. We could beat PItt at home, thats another potential win. Could beat NE at home, thats another potential win. Hell we could beat the giants at home and we could knock off philly on the road. The only two games I dont believe we have a good shot in is @Baltimore and @Indy.

I believe we "potentially" could win the rest of our games. Doesn't mean we will, but the potential of this team is there to do it IMO.

KS Bronco
10-07-2009, 09:04 AM
i like that our qb only has two career losses at home!

Rock Chalk
10-07-2009, 09:14 AM

Thats huge. If we sweep at home that's awesome because it means we beat Dallas, NE, Pitt, and the Giants, All media love whores.

We already got 2 on the road, that would give us 10 wins on the season not even counting the Washington and @KC games.

Sweeping at home is pretty damn hard to do in any year and would be nothing short of spectacular this year though.

BroncoInSkinland
10-07-2009, 09:15 AM
We could sweep the division. So that's one of the other potential wins. We could beat PItt at home, thats another potential win. Could beat NE at home, thats another potential win. Hell we could beat the giants at home and we could knock off philly on the road. The only two games I dont believe we have a good shot in is @Baltimore and @Indy.

I believe we "potentially" could win the rest of our games. Doesn't mean we will, but the potential of this team is there to do it IMO.

I'm probably ridding a little too high off the Dallas win, but I think we have a chance against Indy this time. McDaniels has thier number the same way Shanny had NE, and Doom in the 3-4 could shake Mr. Potato head to his cleats. I would throw the NYG into the very doubtful win category though, so it balances out. Eli vs Orton will be fun talking points, both QB's are much maligned and do nothing for their teams but win games, they may be ugly, "flukey" wins on occassion, but wins nonetheless.

UberBroncoMan
10-07-2009, 09:15 AM
To be honest I see us losing to NE and then the following week to SD.

I think Bill has Josh's number... who knows though. Kubiak owned Shanahan.

The biggest reason I see a loss to SD is because they have an ENTIRE BYE week to prepare for us and turn **** around.

Want to know how lame our schedule is?

Not only do we have the hardest one in the NFL imo. We face 4 teams coming off their bye weeks.

Rock Chalk
10-07-2009, 09:17 AM
To be honest I see us losing to NE and then the following week to SD.

I think Bill has Josh's number... who knows though. Kubiak owned Shanahan.

The biggest reason I see a loss to SD is because they have an ENTIRE BYE week to prepare for us and turn **** around.

Want to know how lame our schedule is?

Not only do we have the hardest one in the NFL imo. We face 4 teams coming off their bye weeks.

Kubiak is 1-1 against Shanahan, just saying. Shanny won the first meeting, Kubes won the second disaster in Houston.

KCStud
10-07-2009, 09:31 AM
The next 4 games will show who the real Denver Broncos are. If you guys can make it through that stretch at 2-2 and stay 6-2, than you are in business

Kaylore
10-07-2009, 09:32 AM

It's almost arcane that his record is that good. It definitely needs to be a factor to be considered. I don't know if he just raises the level of play around him, if he is just better or what, but Orton wins at home.

For the longest time we've sucked at home to crappy teams. I really believe McDaniels is going to change that for the long term. Denver will be once again be one of the hardest places to play in the NFL.

Elway777
10-07-2009, 09:41 AM
Even if we loose to New England and Pittsburgh at home the Broncos should win the rest of Home games. The would give us a 6-2 home record. I also think the Broncos win at washington and Kansas City on the road. That would give the Broncos a 4-4 road recond. I think the broncos have a good shot to go 10-6 which could win the West division .

BroncoBuff
10-07-2009, 10:18 AM

Damn, that'll leave a mark.

crowebomber
10-07-2009, 11:02 AM

I didn't realize that either! If we do manage to make it to the post season, we'll be pretty battle tested. I think we have four wins in our division and one against Washington which would give us nine, then I think we have the opportunity to get the 10th (or maybe 11) this week or Pittsburgh or against Baltimore.

I just don't see us beating Indy or Philly on the road.

broncosteven
10-07-2009, 11:17 AM
The next 4 games will show who the real Denver Broncos are. If you guys can make it through that stretch at 2-2 and stay 6-2, than you are in business

I will take 6-2.

How do you feel about a top 4 Draft pick next year?

loborugger
10-07-2009, 11:18 AM
It's almost arcane that his record is that good. It definitely needs to be a factor to be considered. I don't know if he just raises the level of play around him, if he is just better or what, but Orton wins at home.

For the longest time we've sucked at home to crappy teams. I really believe McDaniels is going to change that for the long term. Denver will be once again be one of the hardest places to play in the NFL.

Dude, this is a football message board. I had to look that word up!

Meck77
10-07-2009, 11:25 AM

This is certainly the cliche of the year for the Broncos.

The next 4 games will show who the real NFL teams are not just the Broncos.

What the last 4 games have shown us is that the chiefs are an embarrassment to the city of KC, it's fans, the AFC west, and the NFL.

TheDave
10-07-2009, 11:27 AM

Even if we loose every "Tough" game the rest of this season... We still have KCx2, OAK, and Wash.

8-8 is as bad as it's going to get.

At the rate you guys are going it might take until 2015 for you guys to win 8 games combined.

broncosteven
10-07-2009, 11:28 AM

After this year I am trying to believe more in the "Orton just wins" factor.

I still think Nolan is the real reason we are going to win more at home, stingy Defenses help win tight games. That said I think the O has a lot of room for improvement and will get better.

_Oro_
10-07-2009, 01:49 PM
Okay so this is interesting regarding bye weeks:

http://ezinearticles.com/?NFL-Bye-Weeks:-Important-Gem-or-Fools-Gold&id=91269

I remember seeing somewhere that Norv's winning pct. goes up from 40% to 60% or something like that after a bye. But I don't know if he's played enough games after bye weeks for that 20% to be meaningful.

misturanderson
10-07-2009, 05:57 PM

And when we come off our bye, who do we get? Baltimore at Baltimore, coming off of their bye.

KCStud
10-08-2009, 01:58 AM
I will take 6-2.

How do you feel about a top 4 Draft pick next year?

Not too bad considering the talent level of the team. Broncos fans forget that your team was talented before McDaniels even got here. OL was elite, WR's are very good, elite CB, good LB with decent LB corps. KC's talent has been dry from inept drafts from CP and Herm.

You also forget that KC has a rough schedule at this point. We've played the AFC and NFC runner up on the road and 2008 SB Champs.
You have played 2 of the bottom 5 teams in the NFL, the most overrated team in the league, and won on a miracle against the only decent team you have played.

If you had KC's schedule you would be 1-3. BAL, PHI and NYG are better than anyone you have played. Let's see how you play against the big boys before you order your SB tickets ordered

_Oro_
10-26-2009, 07:10 AM
bump

Rock Chalk
10-26-2009, 08:36 AM
Im further revising:

NE @ Den: W - We win and McD lied :)
Den @ SD: W - San Diego looks like absolute garbage on defense and their running game has now failed too. They look more and more like the 2008 Broncos. (Hahaha)
BYE (Record: 6-0)
Den @ Bal: W - Yeah, we can take the Ratbirds.
Pitt @ Den: W - They looked good at home against the Vikings who were a bit overrated but they will not look so good against Denver in Denver.
SD @ Denver: W - This time, San Diego doesn' score past the first quarter.
NYG @ Den: W - Do these guys ever look lost now. 2 straight losses, the first to the Saints which is understandable but the second, at home, against the Cards?
Den @ Phi: L - Im leaning towards L but this depends on which Philly team we see. The Jekyll or the Hyde. We are going L for our final standings though. (I saw no reason to change this)

14-2 Bitches.

Bronco Warrior
10-26-2009, 09:36 AM
I picked us to go 10-6 the day the scheduale came out and predicted losses at SD (oops! :D) Baltimore, Indy, and Philly, with losses at home to Giants and Pitt, so almost indentical. Now the Giants,Pittsburg, Philly, and Baltimore look very very winnable! Let's see who does that leave? Well we beat SD at SD and Indy has feasted on bad teams! Whop knows now! Wouldn't it be funny, although unlikely, that Josh McD leads two different teams to reg. season perfect records? Oh Dare to dream! Indy at home on that turf, and Pitt and Giants at Mile High look like our toughest tests. Hell I'll take 13-3 but who knows! History shows when we go 6-0 we go to the Super Bowl. Cross those fingers!

GoBroncos DownUnder
10-26-2009, 10:16 AM

Media are REALLY PISSING ME OFF at the moment.
If you're going to beat on Denver for our "soft schedule" ... maybe you could have a look at Indy? The ONLY team they have beat is Arizona, the rest of their wins were over horrible teams, with horrible W-L records to match! ;)

Ambiguous
10-26-2009, 10:27 AM
I picked us to go 10-6 the day the scheduale came out and predicted losses at SD (oops! :D) Baltimore, Indy, and Philly, with losses at home to Giants and Pitt, so almost indentical. Now the Giants,Pittsburg, Philly, and Baltimore look very very winnable! Let's see who does that leave? Well we beat SD at SD and Indy has feasted on bad teams! Whop knows now! Wouldn't it be funny, although unlikely, that Josh McD leads two different teams to reg. season perfect records? Oh Dare to dream! Indy at home on that turf, and Pitt and Giants at Mile High look like our toughest tests. Hell I'll take 13-3 but who knows! History shows when we go 6-0 we go to the Super Bowl. Cross those fingers!

Way to jinx us, a-hole.

MechanicalBull
10-26-2009, 10:46 AM
Media are REALLY PISSING ME OFF at the moment.
If you're going to beat on Denver for our "soft schedule" ... maybe you could have a look at Indy? The ONLY team they have beat is Arizona, the rest of their wins were over horrible teams, with horrible W-L records to match! ;)

Last night I was looking at the Colts schedule and was thinking the same thing. Now I don't think they are going to but with the way Peyton is playing they have a good chance at running the table. Of course they can slip up and have a bad week but their only real competition left are the Pats and Broncos, throw in the Ravens if you want.

8 Sun, Nov 1 San Francisco 49ers vs San Francisco (3-3) 1:00 pm
9 Sun, Nov 8 Houston Texans vs Houston (4-3) 1:00 pm
10 Sun, Nov 15 New England Patriots vs New England (5-2) 8:20 pm
11 Sun, Nov 22 Baltimore Ravens @ Baltimore (3-3) 1:00 pm
12 Sun, Nov 29 Houston Texans @ Houston (4-3) 1:00 pm
13 Sun, Dec 6 Tennessee Titans vs Tennessee (0-6)
14 Sun, Dec 13 Denver Broncos vs Denver (6-0) 1:00 pm
15 Thu, Dec 17 Jacksonville Jaguars @ Jacksonville (3-3) 8:20 pm
16 Sun, Dec 27 New York Jets vs NY Jets (4-3) 4:15 pm
17 Sun, Jan 3 Buffalo Bills @ Buffalo (3-4) 1:00 pm EST

GoBroncos DownUnder
10-26-2009, 10:54 AM
Last night I was looking at the Colts schedule and was thinking the same thing. Now I don't think they are going to but with the way Peyton is playing they have a good chance at running the table. Of course they can slip up and have a bad week but their only real competition left are the Pats and Broncos, throw in the Ravens if you want.

Agreed! But I think the NE game, followed by back-to-back away games will trip them up, @Baltimore then @Houston. Houston are a divisional rival who have played tough the past few years.
They are going to have some UGLY games in there.

Bronco Warrior
10-26-2009, 12:17 PM
Way to jinx us, a-hole.

Damn! My Bad!!! I predict we lose every game the rest of the way...oh but still win the west lmao!

Rock Chalk
10-26-2009, 12:31 PM

You under estimate the Texans ability to play Indy tough every single year. They SHOULD win against them but its never easy for Indy. Also Jacksonville in Jacksonville will be a difficult game for them.

Bronco Warrior
10-26-2009, 12:54 PM
You under estimate the Texans ability to play Indy tough every single year. They SHOULD win against them but its never easy for Indy. Also Jacksonville in Jacksonville will be a difficult game for them.

Indy was down to Houston last year TWICE late and then Sage RunsandFumbles coughed up the ball to give Indy a short field and a chance to come back, and they did. Houston always plays Indy tough and they are better this year!!

Eldorado
10-26-2009, 01:07 PM
I sooo wish avys were on right now. This place would be a riot.

Paladin
10-26-2009, 01:28 PM
There are two games I am anxious about. Ravens and Indy. The others seem like either gimmes or tossups and leaning towards the Broncos game.....

I had actually thought 10-6 would get a playoff spot, and I predicted that. Anything else is just damm fine gravey..........

Hulamau
10-26-2009, 01:32 PM
Way to jinx us, a-hole.

No such thing as a 'jinx' .. it's all a projection in the mind.

And certainly nothing that a butt kickin' Defense and a savvy QB and Offense cant over come!

broncocalijohn
10-26-2009, 01:59 PM
I sooo wish avys were on right now. This place would be a riot.

i take it a few of you guys have got a new avatar in TRIBUTE to one of our posters here. TJ should turn it on for a few days.

Hulamau
10-26-2009, 02:00 PM
Crazy bad luck that both the Ravens ( who are truly desperate for a win to not drop behind the Steelers any more and at home) And the Steelers are both coming off bye weeks and rested when we face them!

Still if we can somehow win both (which is certainly possible these days :-) it will be such a huge momentum boost through the rest of the season, I can see us then going anywhere from 13-3 to 15-1 and possible lock up home field advantage through the playoffs.

I don't think Indy goes undefeated and they haven't really been challenged yet by a solid team. Much less several tough games in a row.

At worst I see us 10-6 and still likely to win the division, hopefully at least 11-5 with another hope-killing crushing of San Diego in four games.

The key to all this is avoiding any major injuries for any length of time. If we can remain a bit lucky this year, as we have so far... and as we sure as hell DESERVE after the last years of terrible luck, plus all this turmoil, change and turnover in the offseason ... not to mention the brutal hand dealt by the 'Schedule Gods' in Josh's first year ... then sky is the limit and even 16-0 isn't out of the question!

I actually don't want to go 16-0 though ( I don't mind as long as we go 19-0 of course :) . But sweeping the regular season with so many new guys and new everything I'm not so sure is in our best interest come playoff time?

I just hope we lock up home field advantage through the playoffs, and if and when we drop one or more of the remaining ten games, it serves to strengthen this team and prepare them for the slug-fest of the postseason all the way to the Super bowl and win it all!

To me, that's pressure enough on such a Cinderella team without the added distraction and intensity of carrying an undefeated season into the playoffs when it really counts most!

_Oro_
12-02-2009, 11:57 AM

If you bump a thread twice is that considered humping?

Turns out our schedule wasn't brutal. Who ended up being really good on this list? Cinci, SD?, and IND. KC in dec still sucks but we might get IND backups.

55CrushEm
12-02-2009, 12:36 PM

Turns out our schedule wasn't brutal. Who ended up being really good on this list? Cinci, SD?, and IND. KC in dec still sucks but we might get IND backups.

We will not get Indy backups. Cincy and SD will both not lose this weekend, therefore, at least one of them will still be only 3 games behind Indy with 4 to go....and therefore, Indy will NOT clinch homefield this weekend.

Beantown Bronco
12-02-2009, 12:51 PM

I disagree. I think it's safe to call this schedule brutal when all but 2 opponents to this point are either division leaders or right in the thick of things for a wildcard. And we still have Indy and Philly (both on the road) coming up.

Gort
12-02-2009, 01:16 PM

what? that's an impossible statement to defend.

DAL, NE, CIN, SD x 2, INDY are all playoff teams.

PIT and/or BAL will be in the playoffs.

that's 7 (maybe 8) games this year against playoff teams.

what team has faced a tougher schedule than that this year?

Beantown Bronco
12-02-2009, 01:27 PM
what? that's an impossible statement to defend.

DAL, NE, CIN, SD x 2, INDY are all playoff teams.

PIT and/or BAL will be in the playoffs.

that's 7 (maybe 8) games this year against playoff teams.

what team has faced a tougher schedule than that this year?

Make it 8 (maybe 9).

Philadelphia would make the playoffs as of today.

_Oro_
12-02-2009, 01:48 PM
I stand corrected. Thanks guys :notworthy