PDA

View Full Version : What will it take to convince you the 09 Broncos are for real?

lex
09-20-2009, 11:53 PM
OK, theres a lot of people who are ready to throw a parade already but its a long season and its not the first time Denver has started 2-0. They started 2-0 the past two years as well. But thats water under the bridge as we all know. I think most of us are pleasantly surprised with the defense. I still need to see more from them however. We were fortunate to catch Cincinnati when Palmer was likely a little rusty from an injury layoff. And Cleveland has struggled offensively recently. Its only two games and while there has been cause for optimism (esp the defense), theres a lot of season left.

At this point, what do you still need to see from the team (especially the defense) to thing they are legit? Moreover, what specific game or type of game would the team need to do well in to convince you that the 09 Broncos are contenders, even if only for the playoffs?

Borks147
09-20-2009, 11:56 PM
A .500 record of closely fought games through that killer mid-section of the schedule.

They won't win all those games. I mean, come on. But if they win a few close ones and lose a few close ones against those teams, then yeah, they're for real.

That's fair right?

Archer81
09-21-2009, 12:00 AM
If you have a defense, and a good run game, you can win anywhere at any time. My optimism is higher at this point then it was 3 weeks ago.

:Broncos:

dbfan4life
09-21-2009, 12:00 AM
Well, after the raiduh game, we'll see how legit this team really is. We have Dallas, NE, SD, Balt., and Pittsburgh. All of these teams have shown they can be beat but that is one brutal stretch. We'll talk then.

Bronco Bob
09-21-2009, 12:02 AM
Winning the Super Bowl?

Seriously, they have some tough games coming up. They'd better beat the Raiders.
And if they can win against Dallas, New England, San Diego, Baltimore, and Pittsburgh,
they are going to get a lot of notice.

Doggcow
09-21-2009, 12:04 AM
4-0, we beat the Cowboys and we'll get respect.

Archer81
09-21-2009, 12:07 AM

Broncos get respect? That would be new.

Atwater His Ass
09-21-2009, 12:07 AM
I don't think this 09 team is for real. It's not a playoff team, even if we backdoor our way in due to the horrible division. I predicted 4-12, and I'm still holding to that.

I think we're getting a good effort from the D, but I don't think it will last all season. Although I think we will be a better defensive team than an offensive team all season.

Orton is not the answer at QB, and although I think the offense will improve, it won't be good until we get a real QB.

There will be games that we need Orton to win for us and not just play not to lose. I don't have confidence in him that he can do that.

I'm not into this whole the NFL is Pop Warner so just give your best effort stuff people like to throw around when they know their team is sub-par but really want to have something to cling too.

Durango
09-21-2009, 12:11 AM
A .500 record of closely fought games through that killer mid-section of the schedule.

They won't win all those games. I mean, come on. But if they win a few close ones and lose a few close ones against those teams, then yeah, they're for real.

That's fair right?

That is fair, and there would be hope for the near future.

McDaniels, and Bowlen for that matter, espoused the 'win now' mantra, but realistically, playing close against good teams and winning a few against the .500+ contenders would go a long way in solidifying the fan base in my opinion. Hell, just slapping around the Raiders and Chiefs would be all kinds of fun and another last-second, heartwrenching Bronco win against San Diego would be an early Christmas for me.

Bronco Yoda
09-21-2009, 12:11 AM
So you're saying we're only going to win 2 more games this season? interesting....

bpc
09-21-2009, 12:14 AM
To be the best, you have to beat the best. Roughly weeks 4-10 are going to be brutal.

I'd be happy with Denver taking it one game at a time and playing hard each game. As long as they represent the colors well, i'll be happy.

ChSuperStar
09-21-2009, 12:25 AM
between week 4-10 if they come out winning 1/3 rd of the games and fight out the others with close losses ... i would say we have a good team. or at the end of season if we win atleast one more than 6 games... we have a great team to build for the future.

lex
09-21-2009, 12:28 AM
between week 4-10 if they come out winning 1/3 rd of the games and fight out the others with close losses ... i would say we have a good team. or at the end of season if we win atleast one more than 6 games... we have a great team to build for the future.

If Denver can beat a couple of the so called heavy weights, you dont think that means theyre legit because it would show that they can beat those kinds of teams even though they may also be exploited against some of them?

enjolras
09-21-2009, 12:28 AM
Beat the Cowboys.

Taco John
09-21-2009, 12:33 AM
That's an interesting question.

If we're playing .500 football and it's week six, and our first three games are wins, and our last three are losses... That paints a much different picture than if we are at .500, and we win one of the last three (but lose this next week).

Regardless, this AFC West is even worse than it was last year. Anybody who got a chance to watch the Raiders Chiefs comedy show that aired in place of an NFL game got a first hand look at what I'm saying. The Chargers are competitive, but they are also prone to making stupid mistakes.

The AFC West can probably be had with a 9-7 record. Does 9-7 make a team "for real?" I don't know. Ask last year's Cardinals, I guess.

lex
09-21-2009, 12:34 AM
I have a weird feeling we'll beat the Steelers. I say that partly out of hope that we'll be more balanced and also because Pittsburghs offensive line isnt as formiddable as it once was. I think a lot of it will hinge on Doom and that this is one game where he can factor in heavily. And since we're a 3-4 team now, it will be more difficult for Pittsburgh to drive the blocking matchups where Doom is concerned. But even at that, I seem to remember him getting to Ben a couple of years ago when Doom had no schematic help whatsoever as that was the first game of the Slowik era.

I also think in the future, Nolan will probably use Smith as a weapon more. You could see a glimpse of his vision in the Cincy game.

Killericon
09-21-2009, 12:40 AM

If we're playing .500 football and it's week six, and our first three games are wins, and our last three are losses... That paints a much different picture than if we are at .500, and we win one of the last three (but lose this next week).

Regardless, this AFC West is even worse than it was last year. Anybody who got a chance to watch the Raiders Chiefs comedy show that aired in place of an NFL game got a first hand look at what I'm saying. The Chargers are competitive, but they are also prone to making stupid mistakes.

The AFC West can probably be had with a 9-7 record. Does 9-7 make a team "for real?" I don't know. Ask last year's Cardinals, I guess.

No, really?

:P

peacepipe
09-21-2009, 12:42 AM

lex
09-21-2009, 12:43 AM

For me its whether or not we can realistically make the playoffs and win a game in the playoffs. It would be huge if they could sweep Oakland and KC. Im not sure it will happen but that would be 4 wins. We already have 2. So that makes 6 wins. 10-6 realsitically gets you into the playoffs. Out of those other 10 games, Denver would have to win 4. It may seem like a big accomplishment but a lot of it hinges on Nolan and the offensive line staying healthy. If you can have a respectable defense, a great offensive line, and good RBs, you have a chance to win games. Like I said earlier, I think Pittsburgh is winnable based on the fact that their offensive line is even worse than it was a couple of years ago and Doom is now an even more substantial weapon out of the 3-4.

Jason in LA
09-21-2009, 12:45 AM
They have a really good shot at going 3 and 0. I don't want to pencil in a win at Oakland, who look improved, but that is a very winnable game. The schedule gets a whole lot tougher after that. Dallas, New England, at San Diego, at Baltimore, and Pittsburgh. If they can get a few wins over that stretch, I'd say that they would be looking better than I thought they would.

listopencil
09-21-2009, 02:31 AM
I want to see proficiency in all three phases for an entire game. Then I want to see them build on that and improve week by week. If they can do that...then they are for real.

orange crusher
09-21-2009, 02:36 AM
What will it take to convince you the 09 Broncos are for real?

Solid and consistent QB play. Until I see that, I think they will struggle against stronger competition. Orton isn't turning the ball over (which is a positive), but that isn't going to be enough as the competition gets better.

cutthemdown
09-21-2009, 02:37 AM
Only winning can do that. It will take a lot more then 2 games. The Broncos last few yrs always started hot. 3-1, 4-1 etc etc then crumbled.

If they make the playoffs they are for real. If they don't they can still be labeled much improved and give hope for next yr.

Broncos need to get Doom/Kuper resigned for sure.

Ratboy
09-21-2009, 03:17 AM
We'll know who we are going into week 6.

We have Oakland, Dallas, New England, and San Diego. If go into our bye week 5-1, even 4-2, i'll start to believe that this team is changed and that McDaniels has actually made huge strides with this team.

cutthemdown
09-21-2009, 03:28 AM
We'll know who we are going into week 6.

We have Oakland, Dallas, New England, and San Diego. If go into our bye week 5-1, even 4-2, i'll start to believe that this team is changed and that McDaniels has actually made huge strides with this team.

if the 2 wins were vs Chargers and Raiders it would be a pretty good start.

Obviously NE and Dal 2 of the best team over recent seasons. Beating either of them would be absolutely huge for Denver.

Bronco Rob
09-21-2009, 03:41 AM
Nothing.

I had to put up with "DOOM & GLOOM" the entire off season....

I have watched the NFL for 3 decades......and had to put up with the BS..

SO FU NonBelievers! Get on and ride or get the **** off!

I make no apologies I believed the entire time...

Either you are down with the Broncos or your not..

It's not that simple...

:strong:

Bronco Rob
09-21-2009, 03:50 AM
They are...

If you don't "get it" then get off

this team is the real deal...

beem a Broncos fan for 4 decades have no time for front runners...

buh bye...

:wave:

NYBronc
09-21-2009, 05:45 AM
For me its whether or not we can realistically make the playoffs and win a game in the playoffs. It would be huge if they could sweep Oakland and KC. Im not sure it will happen but that would be 4 wins. We already have 2. So that makes 6 wins. 10-6 realsitically gets you into the playoffs. Out of those other 10 games, Denver would have to win 4. It may seem like a big accomplishment but a lot of it hinges on Nolan and the offensive line staying healthy. If you can have a respectable defense, a great offensive line, and good RBs, you have a chance to win games. Like I said earlier, I think Pittsburgh is winnable based on the fact that their offensive line is even worse than it was a couple of years ago and Doom is now an even more substantial weapon out of the 3-4.

Out of those remainining 10, I think we can beat Washington and Dallas and split with San Diego. If we can steal one from the remaining games we'll make it. Indy should give an indication tonight if that's the one but I think we'll beat Pittsburgh too. We're a good, disciplined football team.

WolfpackGuy
09-21-2009, 05:52 AM
Beating a team or two not from Ohio would help.
The defense is playing lights out, but we can't expect them to pitch 3 scoreless quarters every game.

TallyBronco
09-21-2009, 06:50 AM
Before the bye week:

* Defend home turf against Dallas and New England.
* Win one of the division road games at Oakland or San Diego.

Post bye week:

* Take all three division games at home.
* Win one road game.
* Defeat Pittsburgh or Giants at home.

Dallas looks like the mediocre team it was last year, and New England will be tough but beatable. The post-bye-week schedule looks brutal at this point, but San Diego's schedule isn't easier than ours. I still expect the Chargers to take the division with 10 wins, but less confident than I was two weeks ago.

If we end up with 9 wins with this schedule, the offseason will be lots of fun.

Atwater His Ass
09-21-2009, 07:11 AM
i want to know why all you pussies are saying "wait and see" for weeks 4-10 when you've already crowned this team after playing the 2 worst teams in their respective division.

RhymesayersDU
09-21-2009, 07:20 AM

That's fair right?

This sounds fair to me.

Hercules Rockefeller
09-21-2009, 07:37 AM
They were in a no-win situation with the first 2 games (and probably the Raiders game too). Lose those two game and all anyone would hear hear is how stupid it was to hire McDaniels, trade Cutler, etc. Win both games like they have, and the responses that you see here and places like CP is that it was the Bengals and Browns, they should have won those games. I guarantee you that no one expected Denver to have a 6.5 ppg scoring defense though.

I'm still at 5 or 6 only because I expected the Broncos to go 3-0 before they hit the brutal stretch. The defense is playing great, the special teams have been great (don't blame Prater for those 2 kicks, the wind was swirling like crazy yesterday), and hopefully the offense will continue to get more in sync. Knoshown was half a step away at least twice from getting into the open field yesterday.

Beantown Bronco
09-21-2009, 08:23 AM

beem a Broncos fan for 4 decades

I'm not even going to try to do the math on this one.

It's not that simple...[/size]

I'm guessing you're drunk.

JCMElway
09-21-2009, 10:37 AM
a .500 record of closely fought games through that killer mid-section of the schedule.

That's fair right?

+ 1

JCMElway
09-21-2009, 10:44 AM

If you win your division in the NFL, you are "for real." Anything can happen in the playoffs and getting there after the offseason we have had would be stellar.

All that being said, weeks 4-10 are very tough games. If we can be 6-4 after that stretch it would be nice. Dare I hope for 7-3?

How about savoring each victory in a season of change and kicking some Raider ass this week? Yeah, that'll do.

Peoples Champ
09-21-2009, 10:55 AM
OK, theres a lot of people who are ready to throw a parade already but its a long season and its not the first time Denver has started 2-0. They started 2-0 the past two years as well. But thats water under the bridge as we all know. I think most of us are pleasantly surprised with the defense. I still need to see more from them however. We were fortunate to catch Cincinnati when Palmer was likely a little rusty from an injury layoff. And Cleveland has struggled offensively recently. Its only two games and while there has been cause for optimism (esp the defense), theres a lot of season left.

At this point, what do you still need to see from the team (especially the defense) to thing they are legit? Moreover, what specific game or type of game would the team need to do well in to convince you that the 09 Broncos are contenders, even if only for the playoffs?

I am not gonna lie and say I thought we were gonna be that good before the start of the year, but I didnt think we were gonna be that bad. I was a 50/50 worried, but excited with the new style/players. BUt also worried if it would flop.

That said, I think we are good, but still need to prove a lot. To me, it will need to be this: we need to be competitive against Dallas, Pitt, NE, SD, PHI,basically the good teams on our schedule. Win or lose, still be competitive. No blowouts. And hopefully win half of them, or more. After that they will prove that we are good. And with those wins, we should make the playoffs. And if we win playoff games, we will prove we are really good, and exceed my expectations.

Also, If we do happen to lose our division rival games, no embarrasing blowouts like last year against OAK and SD. We should beat these teams, but if we do lose, i hope its a close one.

zdoor
09-21-2009, 11:08 AM
If we are competitive and playing hard during the hard part of the schedule I'll consider this team for real regardless of the Win/Loss

Smiling Assassin27
09-21-2009, 11:10 AM
Quality wins and quality losses. The latter part of the Shanahan era was mired in some really bad losses--losses that were due to poor coaching, lack of preparedness, and inconsistency on the field. With this, our first year of rebuilding, a consistent balance between offense, defense and ST, winning the games we should win, and losing because our talent level just wasn't up to par with the other team is ok with me.

It's the games we lose that we have no business losing that drives me crazy.

Mr. Elway
09-21-2009, 12:19 PM
I'm sticking with my same line - if we can play competitively against the big boys, rediscover home field advantage and avoid embarassing blowouts, that would constitute success to me this year.

But being "for real" means you can compete in the playoffs, IMO, and I don't think we are that good.

loborugger
09-21-2009, 12:27 PM

A good beating of Dallas in our house would be what it takes for me to get really excited about our prospects this year.

Popcorn Sutton
09-21-2009, 12:36 PM
I'm not even going to try to do the math on this one.

I'm guessing you're drunk.

Nothing gets by you. ;D

BroncoInSkinland
09-21-2009, 12:46 PM
"For real", translation - Playoff calibre team capable of winning playoff games.
Any 3 of the following:
1. Hold Dallas under 25 points, and sustain drives (at least 2, 10 plays each) on their D.
2. Hold SD to under 20 in thier house and score at least 2 TD's.
3. Go 6-2 or better at the halfway point.
4. Beat SD by 14 at thier house.

"For real", translation - Improving significantly in the long term, creating a solid foundation for the next few years to build upon.

Any 2 of the following:
1. Hold Dallas under 25 points, or sustain drives (at least 2, 10 plays each) on their D.
2. Hold SD to under 20 in thier house or score at least 2 TD's.
3. Go 5-3 or better at the halfway point.
4. Beat SD at thier house.

Either one of those is fine by me. If we can't achieve even one off the second list we are in serious trouble for more than this year though, IMHO.

Popps
09-21-2009, 12:55 PM
"For real" is very subjective language.

To me, if this team plays competitively all season, doesn't fade like prior years... and shows toughness and improvement as the season goes on, we're for real.

As for record, it's too early to tell anything. Week 2 is rarely telling as to how things will play out over a full season.

By "for real," if you mean this team will be competing for a Superbowl this season, I'd say that's asking a bit much for a team overhauling both sides of the ball with a ton of new personnel.

Is a playoff appearance out of the question? Of course not. Crazier things have happened. But, it's way too early to make any sort of determination.

Might not be a fun answer, but that's the truth.

crush17
09-21-2009, 12:55 PM
Beat the Giants and we're for real.... lol
Other than that we are in the middle of the pack right now... too many games left to play to make any judgments yet.

Broncos_OTM
09-21-2009, 12:56 PM
For me its whether or not we can realistically make the playoffs and win a game in the playoffs. It would be huge if they could sweep Oakland and KC. Im not sure it will happen but that would be 4 wins. We already have 2. So that makes 6 wins. 10-6 realsitically gets you into the playoffs. Out of those other 10 games, Denver would have to win 4. It may seem like a big accomplishment but a lot of it hinges on Nolan and the offensive line staying healthy. If you can have a respectable defense, a great offensive line, and good RBs, you have a chance to win games. Like I said earlier, I think Pittsburgh is winnable based on the fact that their offensive line is even worse than it was a couple of years ago and Doom is now an even more substantial weapon out of the 3-4.i think washington is suspect. win

same thing very well could be said with pitt.

ne game could be interesting. especially if we can get the momentum early.

indy looked slow out the gate and old

1998Eternal
09-21-2009, 01:13 PM
Baltimore

Broncos_OTM
09-21-2009, 01:19 PM
Nothing.

I had to put up with "DOOM & GLOOM" the entire off season....

SO FU NonBelievers! Get on and ride or get the **** off!

I make no apologies I believed the entire time...

It's not that simple...

sure thing broncos
mcrob

Irish Stout
09-21-2009, 01:23 PM
This team was for real the day I was born biatches! They play real games with real players, on real football stadiums in the real world.

Kidding aside, the last time I was actually down on this team was when we took Moreno over Orakpo. However, I thought about that long and hard and I truly think that taking Moreno was a great move. I believe if we didn't take him SD would've made a move for him. After evaluation from the draft, I decided I really liked what McD was doing, save for the cutting Mike Leach thing. But I understood he was trying to put people in the locker room that understood his principals and who could voice his opinion when the Shanny holdovers whined about the new regime... I think that was a solid move by the leadership - very machiavellian, though I dispised some of the cuts (hated waving D. Walker and keeping Jordan, but understood LaMont was McD's boy).

Since then, everything I have seen, heard and read regarding the Broncos training camp and preseason just confirmed my belief that McD had righted the ship. I think we're well on our way to developing a solid football team. I keep saying 16-0, and people probably think I am being silly, but its the NFL. There is no reason why we don't have a chance to win every single game we play this year. As the season progresses, I am seeing Dallas, NE, and Pitts teams that have holes that can be exposed. I do not think SD has done anything to make their team stronger than it was last year (other than Merriman being back), and I don't know why we shouldn't be able to take two from both Oak and KC.

Yes, Cutler is better than Orton at the long ball, the hard throws, the accuracy, and the mobility. However, having a good QB and a solid offense that doesn't score in the red zone was so 2008. Orton is playing like a 2005 no mistake Jake, which got us pretty far, though its not flashy or exciting, and Orton may not even have what Plummer had. We haven't fully proven that we can convert in the red zone at a high rate, but I have faith that McD knows the primary reason he got hired was to do this... I have faith that he has the team focused and gelled and that they're ready to operate when he makes the calls.

I will agree with anyone that our team has a long way to go and a lot to prove, but I cannot see one reason to see a loss. We may be facing what are prominently considered "better" teams down the road, but so what? Last year, we were considered the better team for most of our games and where did that get us? Anything and everything can change and suprise everyone within one offseason in the NFL, and I think this is our year.

errand
09-21-2009, 01:24 PM

Oh, there they go again, every damn time I start talking optimistically about the Broncos one of the widows gotta pull the 'ol "It's a long season" take outta their ass.

Was it a long season when you clowns started your McDaniels is the "worst coach ever" crap when he hadn't coached even one game?

Was it a long season when your side started all those Orton sucks threads after one meaningless preseason game?

Was it a long season when you clowns posted your "Kyle ****ing Orton" threads after the season opener?

Was it a long season when you clowns started the offense stinks crap?
Now you clowns want to have a wait and see take on this season like the rest us have had since day one?

Dude you're so freaking transparent.

We know it's a long season. We know a 2-0 record against 2 average to above average teams is nothing to get over excited about.

We know the tough part of our schedule is coming in two weeks, and unless improvements and progress aren't made in certain areas we might not win half of them if any of them.

But, we also know that you and the clown cronies of your side of the argument will silently rejoice at every loss, because you'd rather feel vindicated, than happy this team IS headed in the right direction.

Broncos_OTM
09-21-2009, 01:25 PM
I am not gonna lie and say I thought we were gonna be that good before the start of the year, but I didnt think we were gonna be that bad. I was a 50/50 worried, but excited with the new style/players. BUt also worried if it would flop.

That said, I think we are good, but still need to prove a lot. To me, it will need to be this: we need to be competitive against Dallas, Pitt, NE, SD, PHI,basically the good teams on our schedule. Win or lose, still be competitive. No blowouts. And hopefully win half of them, or more. After that they will prove that we are good. And with those wins, we should make the playoffs. And if we win playoff games, we will prove we are really good, and exceed my expectations.

Also, If we do happen to lose our division rival games, no embarrasing blowouts like last year against OAK and SD. We should beat these teams, but if we do lose, i hope its a close one.
that sums up exactly how i feel

errand
09-21-2009, 01:32 PM
i want to know why all you pussies are saying "wait and see" for weeks 4-10 when you've already crowned this team after playing the 2 worst teams in their respective division.

Probably the same reason you morons called McDaniels the worst coach ever before he had even coached one game?

BTW, we've said wait and see the entire season, you're the idiot that was whining after meaningless preseason games, although we're sure you silently danced a freaking jig at every loss.

errand
09-21-2009, 01:38 PM

winning always garners respect, from the media, the fans of other teams, etc.

Amazingly the media, and fans of other teams will have more respect for us than some of our own alleged fans will regardless of whether or not we win.

Broncos_OTM
09-21-2009, 01:41 PM
Oh, there they go again, every damn time I start talking optimistically about the Broncos one of the widows gotta pull the 'ol "It's a long season" take outta their ass.

Was it a long season when you clowns started your McDaniels is the "worst coach ever" crap when he hadn't coached even one game?

Was it a long season when your side started all those Orton sucks threads after one meaningless preseason game?

Was it a long season when you clowns posted your "Kyle ****ing Orton" threads after the season opener?

Was it a long season when you clowns started the offense stinks crap?
Now you clowns want to have a wait and see take on this season like the rest us have had since day one?

Dude you're so freaking transparent.

We know it's a long season. We know a 2-0 record against 2 average to above average teams is nothing to get over excited about.

We know the tough part of our schedule is coming in two weeks, and unless improvements and progress aren't made in certain areas we might not win half of them if any of them.

But, we also know that you and the clown cronies of your side of the argument will silently rejoice at every loss, because you'd rather feel vindicated, than happy this team IS headed in the right direction.co-sign

we should've gotten spags. and called our owner a drunkard more

gyldenlove
09-21-2009, 01:47 PM

To me the next two games will really define the teams outlook for this year. We have to beat Oakland, 3-0 was really always in the cards and failing to reach that would be detrimental. The Dallas game will show what this team, the defense especially can do against a good team.

If we go 4-0 I will accept this team as 100% legit, if we go 3-1 and I will accept this team as being as good as last year and 8-8 will probably be a realistic record, if we go 2-2 we are not going to reach 8-8 and we have regressed from last year.

errand
09-21-2009, 01:47 PM
I don't think this 09 team is for real. It's not a playoff team, even if we backdoor our way in due to the horrible division. I predicted 4-12, and I'm still holding to that.

Well even a defeatist like you should be glad we're half way to that 4-12 record you predicted.

I think we're getting a good effort from the D, but I don't think it will last all season. Although I think we will be a better defensive team than an offensive team all season.

We went to a Super bowl with a good D and moderate O the last time we hired a NE offensive coordinator as our coach, had a QB whose last named ended in o-r-t-o-n, and ran a 3-4 D....who's to say it can't happen again?

Orton is not the answer at QB, and although I think the offense will improve, it won't be good until we get a real QB.

And by good do you consider what we had as good? I think winning games is more important than flashy stats. Meanwhile Kyle is 23-12, and the real QB you pine for is 18-21.

There will be games that we need Orton to win for us and not just play not to lose. I don't have confidence in him that he can do that.

Yes, because you are only inspired by guys who win 46% of their starts. Not guys who win 65% of them

I'm not into this whole the NFL is Pop Warner so just give your best effort stuff people like to throw around when they know their team is sub-par but really want to have something to cling too.

Really, so why are you still clinging to a sub-par past of mediocrity?

In bold....

KevinJames
09-21-2009, 03:11 PM
Its early but I think we can beat KC and Oak twice thats 4 wins, and I am not really fearing the redskins thats 5 wins plus the 2 we got.

that puts us at 7 wins

than games against NE, SD twice, Ravens, Giants, Cowboys, Colts, Eagles. All those teams could be tough games.

if we can steal 2 or 3 of those games above and win the ones I talked about than I think we can win the division.

sure its a tough schedule, but if we play good defense run the ball and not turn the ball over we can beat anyone on a good day.

Chris
09-21-2009, 03:44 PM

Rodney Dangerfield may have been a Broncos fan.

Que
09-21-2009, 03:48 PM
Excited? Yes.

Ready to believe they're for real? No. Need 6 games under their belts against more potent teams - namely more potent on offense.

But I am pleased with what I see - especially with the D.

UberBroncoMan
09-21-2009, 04:28 PM
For real?

We need to beat the Raiders to start 3-0...

Then we need to split the next insane 8 games(4-4) without losing composure due to losing.

So 7-4 to start the season would make me think they are for real.

<table class="season" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td>1</td> <td>Sun</td> <td>Sep.13</td> <td>at Cincinnati (http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=341&contentID=9805)</td> <td>Paul Brown Stadium</td> <!-- <td>01:00 PM EDT</td> --> <td>W 12-7</td> <td>CBS</td> </tr> <tr> <td>2</td> <td>Sun</td> <td>Sep.20</td> <td>VS. CLEVELAND (http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=341&contentID=9806)</td> <td>INVESCO Field at Mile High</td> <!-- <td>02:15 PM MDT</td> --> <td>W 27-6</td> <td>CBS</td> </tr> <tr> <td>3</td> <td>Sun</td> <td>Sep.27</td> <td>at Oakland</td> <td>McAfee Coliseum</td> <!-- <td>01:15 PM PDT</td> --> <td> 1:15 PM PDT</td> <td>CBS</td> </tr> <tr> <td>4</td> <td>Sun</td> <td>Oct. 4</td> <td>VS. DALLAS</td> <td>INVESCO Field at Mile High</td> <!-- <td>02:15 PM MDT</td> --> <td> 2:15 PM MDT</td> <td>FOX</td> </tr> <tr> <td>5</td> <td>Sun</td> <td>Oct.11</td> <td>VS. NEW ENGLAND</td> <td>INVESCO Field at Mile High</td> <!-- <td>02:15 PM MDT</td> --> <td> 2:15 PM MDT</td> <td>CBS</td> </tr> <tr> <td>6</td> <td>Mon</td> <td>Oct.19</td> <td>at San Diego</td> <td>Qualcomm Stadium</td> <!-- <td>05:30 PM PDT</td> --> <td> 5:30 PM PDT</td> <td>ESPN</td> </tr> <tr> <td>7</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>BYE WEEK</td> <td>
</td> <!-- <td> </td> --> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> </tr> <tr> <td>8</td> <td>Sun</td> <td>Nov. 1</td> <td>at Baltimore</td> <td>M&T Bank Stadium</td> <!-- <td>01:00 PM EST</td> --> <td> 1:00 PM EST</td> <td>CBS</td> </tr> <tr> <td>9</td> <td>Mon</td> <td>Nov. 9</td> <td>VS. PITTSBURGH</td> <td>INVESCO Field at Mile High</td> <!-- <td>06:30 PM MST</td> --> <td> 6:30 PM MST</td> <td>ESPN</td> </tr> <tr> <td>10</td> <td>Sun</td> <td>Nov.15</td> <td>at Washington</td> <td>FedEx Field</td> <!-- <td>01:00 PM EST</td> --> <td> 1:00 PM EST</td> <td>CBS</td> </tr> <tr> <td>11</td> <td>Sun</td> <td>Nov.22</td> <td>VS. SAN DIEGO</td> <td>INVESCO Field at Mile High</td> <!-- <td>02:15 PM MST</td> --> <td> 2:15 PM MST</td> <td>CBS</td> </tr> <tr> <td>12</td> <td>Thu</td> <td>Nov.26</td> <td>VS. NEW YORK</td> <td>INVESCO Field at Mile High</td> <!-- <td>06:20 PM MST</td> --> <td> 6:20 PM MST</td> <td>NFLN</td> </tr> <tr> <td>13</td> <td>Sun</td> <td>Dec. 6</td> <td>at Kansas City</td> <td>Arrowhead Stadium</td> <!-- <td>12:00 PM CST</td> --> <td>12:00 PM CST</td> <td>CBS</td> </tr> <tr> <td>14</td> <td>Sun</td> <td>Dec.13</td> <td>at Indianapolis</td> <td>Lucas Oil Stadium</td> <!-- <td>01:00 PM EST</td> --> <td> 1:00 PM EST</td> <td>CBS</td> </tr> <tr> <td>15</td> <td>Sun</td> <td>Dec.20</td> <td>VS. OAKLAND</td> <td>INVESCO Field at Mile High</td> <!-- <td>02:05 PM MST</td> --> <td> 2:05 PM MST</td> <td>CBS</td> </tr> <tr> <td>16</td> <td>Sun</td> <td>Dec.27</td> <td>at Philadelphia</td> <td>Lincoln Financial Field</td> <!-- <td>01:00 PM EST</td> --> <td> 1:00 PM EST</td> <td>CBS</td> </tr> <tr> <td>17</td> <td>Sun</td> <td>Jan. 3</td> <td>VS. KANSAS CITY</td> <td>INVESCO Field at Mile High</td> <!-- <td>02:15 PM MST</td> --> <td> 2:15 PM MST</td> <td>CBS</td></tr></tbody></table>

Then if we actually manage 7-4 in the first 11 games - I can see us going 3-2 in our final 5 games which would be 10-6 and should be good enough for the division... and maybe even wild card.

Anyway... this is what it would take for me to think this team is real (7-4 start or better).

Mountain Bronco
09-21-2009, 04:46 PM
The question that was asked what do you need to see if this team is for real and you get answers of a .500 record. .500 isn't for real. I would need to see a 5-3 record after 8 games. Then you are for real, because you are contending half way through the season.

broncocalijohn
09-21-2009, 05:11 PM
Maybe I will think this team is for real when Lex admits he was wrong (again) and jumps on the bandwagon. Then I see a scenario if we are 8-7 with one game to go and get a chance to get over .500 for a team that wasnt expected to barely feel the 5 win range and is unfortunately out of the playoffs, but Lex comes in and says that winning will ruin our draft status. I will then know Lex is back to being Lex. I also see if this team is for real (as in what? A playoff contender?) is if we start 3-0 then go 4 and 2 in the next 6 games of what is probably the most brutal schedule out there. This team to me is already for real if we are improving. We already know the status of the offense and I want improvement (which we got from week 1). This defense is for real. You can have another Slowick defense with Shanny or a Nolan defense with McDaniels. You decide.

orinjkrush
09-21-2009, 07:54 PM
FWIW...Tommy Jackson on ESPN says Broncos are one of the real surprises so far

Steve Young and THE ONE AND ONLY MATT MILLEN believe the Bronks are total pretenders.

1998Eternal
09-21-2009, 08:23 PM
If we beat New England and dont have to leave it up to prater to put up 9 points we will be legit

Bronco Rob
10-28-2009, 09:23 PM
They are...

If you don't "get it" then get off

this team is the real deal...

beem a Broncos fan for 4 decades have no time for front runners...

buh bye...

:wave:

6-0

Nuff Said

SureShot
10-28-2009, 10:01 PM
When are you idiots going to stop bumping threads? Big ****ing deal. Atleast bump post where you had a great insight on a certain player or unit.

Paladin
10-28-2009, 10:19 PM
Testy, testy.......

All that name calling cut deep, guy.

BroncoInSkinland
10-28-2009, 10:23 PM
"For real", translation - Playoff calibre team capable of winning playoff games.
Any 3 of the following:
1. Hold Dallas under 25 points, and sustain drives (at least 2, 10 plays each) on their D. Check, funny part is neither of the sustained drives ended in points, not quite what I had in mind, but it will do.
2. Hold SD to under 20 in thier house and score at least 2 TD's. almost
3. Go 6-2 or better at the halfway point. Check, regardless of the next two games.
4. Beat SD by 14 at thier house. almost again

"For real", translation - Improving significantly in the long term, creating a solid foundation for the next few years to build upon.

Any 2 of the following:
1. Hold Dallas under 25 points, or sustain drives (at least 2, 10 plays each) on their D. check
2. Hold SD to under 20 in thier house or score at least 2 TD's. check
3. Go 5-3 or better at the halfway point. more than check
4. Beat SD at thier house. check

Either one of those is fine by me. If we can't achieve even one off the second list we are in serious trouble for more than this year though, IMHO.

I'm pretty happy with that, puts us somewhere between contender and up and comer. Hell of a turn around from the point at which I thought we would be lucky to win 4 games. I stick with the assessment that, we are improving significantly in the long term, creating a solid foundation to build on, and very close to, (possibly already at) being a legitimate playoff team capable of winning games in January.

NFLBRONCO
10-28-2009, 10:41 PM
If Denver can go 3-2 in next 5 we'll be great shape and legit threat in afc.

Rock Chalk
10-28-2009, 10:54 PM
If Denver can go 3-2 in next 5 we'll be great shape and legit threat in afc.

5-0 in the next 5.

One tough game in the bunch and thats this next one and it really isnt all that tough.

Giants are frauds.

SD are frauds.

Washington is one of the worst teams...EVER.

Pittsburgh we get at home.

5-0 and 11-0 and the division locked up.

DenverBound
10-28-2009, 11:12 PM
5-0 in the next 5.

One tough game in the bunch and thats this next one and it really isnt all that tough.

Giants are frauds.

SD are frauds.

Washington is one of the worst teams...EVER.

Pittsburgh we get at home.

5-0 and 11-0 and the division locked up.

Ballsy. I like it. ^5

lazarus4444
10-29-2009, 03:25 AM
Pittsburgh is going to be tough. They've regained their championship caliber stature. This team is for real and it's soooo much fun to watch. I love that we're not getting blown out against quality opponents anymore, what a refreshing change!

BossChief
10-29-2009, 04:01 AM
Im pretty sure they aren't imaginary.........

jokes aside, I say they have to beat all of the inferior teams and more than half of the good ones.

and at least compete in their playoff game, assuming they do make the playoffs.

Rabb
10-29-2009, 06:22 AM
Pittsburgh is going to be tough. They've regained their championship caliber stature. This team is for real and it's soooo much fun to watch. I love that we're not getting blown out against quality opponents anymore, what a refreshing change!

I agree, but...

Ben holds onto the ball longer than anyone in the league and they are riding him right now to wins

if we pressure him into sacks or mistakes, we got this one and fairly easily...their running game sucks as does their o line

tnedator
10-29-2009, 07:36 AM

Spags announcing in a press conference that if McDaniels was coaching St. Louis they would be 6-1... ;)

As to what the Broncos can do.

It's hard to consider them 'not real' now. After mostly shutting NE down, NE has scored nearly 100 points in the following two games. Dallas, NE and SD were pretty good indications this team is for real. However, will they have staying power? Can they keep it up?

If they can split the next two games, that's a pretty good indication. The BAL, Pit, Indy, NYG, PHI and SD games are still very tough remaining games. If they can get three or four wins out of that group, which will mean they will finish the season with 11-13 wins, while playing one of the tougher schedules in the league this year, then there is no doubt they are for real.

Bronco Rob
10-29-2009, 08:43 AM
nothing.

I had to put up with "doom & gloom" the entire off season....

I have watched the nfl for 3 decades......and had to put up with the bs..

So fu nonbelievers! Get on and ride or get the **** off!

I make no apologies i believed the entire time...

Either you are down with the broncos or your not..

It's that simple...

6-0

TonyR
10-29-2009, 09:28 AM
When are you idiots going to stop bumping threads? Big ****ing deal. Atleast bump post where you had a great insight on a certain player or unit.

I particularly like how you open, and post complaints in, just about every bumped thread. If it bothers you so much don't click the link, dink!