PDA

View Full Version : Broncos are the #1 ranked defense & #7 in offense in the NFL right now

baja
09-20-2009, 08:31 PM
#1 in points allowed

#7 in yards in offense

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?offensiveStatisticCategory=null&archive=false&seasonType=REG&defensiveStatisticCategory=SCORING&d-447263-o=1&conference=null&d-447263-s=TOTAL_POINTS_GAME_AVG&d-447263-n=1&season=2009&Submit=Go&qualified=true&tabSeq=2&role=OPP&d-447263-p=1

Mogulseeker
09-20-2009, 08:35 PM
That should continue for at least a week... we've got the Raiders.

bpc
09-20-2009, 08:35 PM
That's pretty awesome and they are not fake stats either. This defense has just lined up and punched people in the face. Mike Nolan has been huge, along with some of the free agent pickups, namely Davis, Dawkins, Goodman, and Fields. This is a major credit to them. It's fun to watch.

Rock Chalk
09-20-2009, 08:44 PM
Also, and this is awesome: 2.9 ypc rush defense folks.

Cedric Benson went off for 141 today against Green Bay in Green Bay.

Clockwork Orange
09-20-2009, 08:49 PM
After the 448 point abortion we witnessed last season, small sample size or not, I will take it and love it. This defense is taking the play to the opposition rather than the other way around. Don't take your foot off the gas boys.

baja
09-20-2009, 08:50 PM
Imagine when Ayers, Smith and Moss come on which they will under Nolan.

misturanderson
09-20-2009, 09:11 PM
We're also 3rd in sacks, 4th in interceptions and 5th in fumbles recovered. Even though it's the easy stretch and the beginning of the season, I don't think anyone on here expected us to start out this well.

Now if we can just improve our 16th ranked scoring offense.

lazarus4444
09-20-2009, 09:18 PM
Next week the glove comes off so hopefully that makes a difference for Orton. Although I can see him getting excited and throwing an INT early. The defense will be tee'ing off against JaMarcus next week, should be fun to watch. I LOVE this defense. I don't have to watch in dread anymore, its awesome!

SoDak Bronco
09-20-2009, 09:20 PM
next week..put your champ on zach miller and say goodnight to their passing offense.

GoHAM
09-20-2009, 09:20 PM
Hey, I'm normally pessimistic as ****, but I'm strangely happy, almost giddy about the defensive performances of the last two weeks.

Of course my pessimistic half keeps saying we've only played the Bungles and the Browns so hold off on the optimism.

But Mike Nolan... **** Yeah! so far.

TheChamp24
09-20-2009, 09:29 PM
I'm not going to start getting too optimistic about our team's defense, I still remember that 2006 fluky season of starting out hot and then tanking it at the end.
I will say, I like the physicality on defense though. Remember that 3rd and 1 the Browns had and ran it, and we stuffed them? That is what I'm talking about. Last year, that would've been a 5 yard run. This year? Nada. It starts with the run defense, and it seems we got that improved.

Hopefully the offense gets more attuned after having a very successful second half to the game.

McDman
09-20-2009, 09:44 PM
I think we'll see a little slide and end up around 15ish, but that's very acceptable for me.

ZONA
09-20-2009, 10:03 PM
Well I for one am so glad that Nolan and McD share the same opinion that it all starts with stopping the run first. If you can't do that, you can't do anything. They knew this defense needed more size in order to do that and they went out and got size.

The turnovers and sacks are really starting to come and it's exciting to see. Each week I think our D players will get even more comfortable and used to one another and play even better.

tsiguy96
09-20-2009, 10:06 PM
http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=84549

dbfan4life
09-20-2009, 10:53 PM
We're also 3rd in sacks, 4th in interceptions and 5th in fumbles recovered. Even though it's the easy stretch and the beginning of the season, I don't think anyone on here expected us to start out this well.

Now if we can just improve our 16th ranked scoring offense.

That would improve if we ever decided to include BMarsh in our redzone packages. But yeah, I'm excited with where our defense is at this point.

lex
09-20-2009, 11:04 PM
Also, and this is awesome: 2.9 ypc rush defense folks.

Cedric Benson went off for 141 today against Green Bay in Green Bay.

It helps that Palmer has one more week under his belt with the injury layoff. Coles didnt have 3 drops today. But at the same time, whats kind of nice is that more people were raving about Capers defense. When you look at the personnel on paper, Capers should have a better defense. It would seem he has more ammo at the 3 levels. Again, I think Cincinnati played better today than they did against us but at the same time, it makes me feel better about what Nolan is doing. If Nolan makes this a top 12 defense, they should lock him up and never let him go.

Ive been highly critical but a couple of things Ive been optimistic about was switching to the 3-4 and also a renewed commitment to running the ball, which the drafting of a RB in the first round signified (in theory). Im not convinced we'll be as devoted to the run as we should be but I already like Nolan's handiwork. I also like that Nolan has remained a quiet mastermind of a defensive rebuild behind the scenes. He's been very respectful and workmanlike in that regard.

Bronco Yoda
09-21-2009, 01:56 AM
We're #1 in points diff @ +26 :)

baja
09-21-2009, 05:43 AM
http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=84549

Yes I saw that after I started the thread but we have different categories

I used points given up on D and yards on O different threads really.

barryr
09-21-2009, 06:36 AM
It's nice to finally have a coach who takes defense seriously and has also taken special teams serious too. It's been a long time since the Broncos went 2 games in a row without giving up a long TD run or pass, or allowed big returns with either punts or kickoffs.

bronclvr
09-21-2009, 06:49 AM
And what about those Special Teams? It feels kinda wierd to say that we are much improved in that area too-

gyldenlove
09-21-2009, 06:55 AM
Does anyone think this might be 2006 all over again?

I love what Nolan has done, we are so aggressive this year and I love the mix of speed and power.

I am really nervous about what happens with a really fast RB, so far we have only played slow fat guys.

tsiguy96
09-21-2009, 06:59 AM
Yes I saw that after I started the thread but we have different categories

I used points given up on D and yards on O different threads really.

we are #2 in points, indy has technically only allowed 12, though till be more after tonight when we move into the #1 spot.

baja
09-21-2009, 07:03 AM
we are #2 in points, indy has technically only allowed 12, though till be more after tonight when we move into the #1 spot.

I used the points per game category but our point is the same we are playing well statistically, so it's all good.

edit; You will see what I mean if you follow the link provided in the first post.

colonelbeef
09-21-2009, 07:32 AM
That's pretty awesome and they are not fake stats either. This defense has just lined up and punched people in the face. Mike Nolan has been huge, along with some of the free agent pickups, namely Davis, Dawkins, Goodman, and Fields. This is a major credit to them. It's fun to watch.

Davis was the one pickup I liked the most from the start. Big, physical linebacker, and totally underrated due to the fact that he was a quiet, consistently good player in Cleveland- losing team in a tiny media market, total afterthought. Smart Signing.

I am curious to see what this team looks like against the Chargers or Pats

Old Dude
09-21-2009, 07:49 AM
Does anyone think this might be 2006 all over again?

I love what Nolan has done, we are so aggressive this year and I love the mix of speed and power.

I am really nervous about what happens with a really fast RB, so far we have only played slow fat guys.

As I recall 2006, the defense played great up to the Indy game around mid-season. Then there was another letdown a couple games after that when LT exploded for 170-some yds in total offense and the Broncos lost a close one at home to the Chargers.

Al Wilson was badly hurt in early December; the offense was already starting to sputter, and, despite the fact that the Broncos weren't far from a playoff berth, Shanny rolled the dice and replaced Plummer with Cutler, hoping to spark the team. It didn't work out all that well, and the defense got gouged, especially on the ground, more and more as the season finished. It ended in defeat against a weak 49er team, but one that was able to run the ball effectively.

So, the differences are:

The 2006 team had fairly high expectations, coming off an AFC championship game appearance. Expectations for this year's team have been lower than dirt.

I might be wrong, but I don't think there's any one guy on this particular defense who is as crucial to making the whole thing work as Al Wilson was to the 2006 defense. Almost everything was funneled to him, and when he went out, it really hurt our ability to stop anyone on the ground. It wasn't a complete defensive collapse, but it was enough to sink a pretty mediocre offense.

I also think it's way too soon to crown this defense as being of a playoff caliber. We're only two games in and defenses are usually ahead of offenses at this time of year. The Broncos faced a rusty Carson Palmer in week one - and he wasn't helped by his receivers, who dropped about seven passes. Say what you will about the Browns, but they haven't scored an offensive touchdown since mid-November 2008. So while things look very encouraging, it's just a little too soon to tell how good this defense really is.

On the other hand, the 2006 offense didn't show a heck of a lot of improvement as the year wore on. Teams had more or less figured out by that time how to best deal with Plummer and his rollouts, our O-Line was starting to have problems, the running backs weren't anything to write home about and neither were the receivers. There might be a little more gas in the tank this year.

But I guess we'll see. So far, so good.

Smiling Assassin27
09-21-2009, 07:55 AM
Turnovers tell the story, IMO. The defense is forcing them and the offense is avoiding them. Couple that with a stiff run-defense, and this team is just running efficiently, nothing flashy or gimmicky here. This is what McD has preached since he got here--everyone knows their role and as long as everyone does their job, the team wins. Are we the Ravens D or the Saints O? Of course not. But the beautiful thing is that we don't have to be right now. A galvanized TEAM goes a long way toward winning on Sundays, talent be damned. So far, it looks like McD has buy in.

bowtown
09-21-2009, 08:08 AM
Get Kuper and Doom locked up now.