PDA

View Full Version : How Good Is the Defense?

Rock Chalk
09-20-2009, 06:07 PM
Cincy just put up 31 in Green Bay, one of the supposed better defenses in the league. We held them to 7 (10 if you go by Rev's logic).

The Brows put up 20 against Minnesota last week and they too have a great defense.

The Ohio teams combined produced 1 TD and 2 FGs against Denver for a whopping 13 points (16 if you go by Rev's logic).

So really, is it fluky or is the defense really THAT good?

McMastermind
09-20-2009, 06:10 PM
6.5 PPG Alec....

Good enough!

snowspot66
09-20-2009, 06:11 PM
It's good. The only question is how good and is there a team that can easily exploit it and destroy us like the Colts in 06.

oubronco
09-20-2009, 06:14 PM
Pretty good against two of the predominant afc north cellar dwellars lets wait before we anoint then with an award

saying that head and shoulders above last year :thumbsup:

TheElusiveKyleOrton
09-20-2009, 06:16 PM
Cincy just put up 31 in Green Bay, one of the supposed better defenses in the league. We held them to 7 (10 if you go by Rev's logic).

(No such thing.)

RhymesayersDU
09-20-2009, 06:16 PM
Tough question... I mean, we all have to like what we see. I'm not trying to be negative, and Elvis was great today, but ask me again after we play real teams.

Broncos123
09-20-2009, 06:17 PM
They are good, improved up the middle with a focus on stopping the run. It is early but they are much improved. Was at the game last week, Dawkins really makes this defence better. The big lineman fill those gaps. This defence is for real! Linebackers have played real well. Nolan has guys flying around and pressure is coming from everywhere.

Bronx33
09-20-2009, 06:17 PM
The run D is great and finally we have pressure on the QB which is a huge help for pass coverage but i don't think the pass D has been properly tested yet to base an opinion on but it does look like nolan has this squad pointed in the right direction and playing like a team.

Bronco Boy
09-20-2009, 06:18 PM
We'll find out when we start playing teams with capable tight ends. The next 4 weeks will tell a lot.

Bronco Rob
09-20-2009, 06:18 PM
MIKE NOLAN IS A GOD!

that is all.....

:afro:

Broncobiv
09-20-2009, 06:19 PM
Hopefully we can keep it up against the really good offensive teams out there, but I'm certainly enjoying it while it lasts!

McMastermind
Sorry Raenos....I forgot that Peyton gifted them 3. 5 ppg actually.

Hey oubronco....how come you aren't signing every post with the same sh!t you were 3 months ago? Bandwagon much?

Rohirrim
It's amazing the difference a coaching change can make. We've gone from a parade of bench turds, IHOPs, Browncos, etc. etc. and suddenly we see Dawkins, Haggan, Davis, Goodman, Fonz, etc. etc. and better even than that, we're getting after somebody. I had a high school coach who we used to make fun of because he said the same thing over and over. To this day I can still hear him, "Jesus Christ! This is football! You're supposed to hit somebody! Go hit somebody!" Finally, we're hitting somebody. ;D

Popps
09-20-2009, 06:22 PM
I think the D is much improved. I don't think we're quite as good as these numbers appear... but I DO think we're good. I said it in the pre-season. We've made tremendous upgrades across our front 7 and of course, our secondary.

Nolan was also a huge upgrade. There was no reason to think we wouldn't see some improvement, and we certainly have.

Those who ran the whole "we've done nothing to improve our front seven" line of bull**** were corrected back in the pre-season, and are being corrected now.

misturanderson
09-20-2009, 06:22 PM
Pretty good against two of the predominant afc north cellar dwellars lets wait before we anoint then with an award

So because these teams are historically bad we should just discount the fact that we held them to 6.5 ppg while the NFC north (not the lions either) has allowed 25.5 ppg to the two of them this season?

Hey, if you want to be a negative Nancy go right ahead, but it is more than obvious to me that our defense is SIGNIFICANTLY better than the last 2 years.

Even if the pass defense doesn't hold up against some of the better teams this year, the fact that we are holding the running games in check is encouraging.

Broncos123
09-20-2009, 06:23 PM
Confidence in your coaches help, Nolan brings respect and the players will and have confidence that he will put a good game plan togeher.

Rock Chalk
09-20-2009, 06:24 PM
For those saying the teams aren't great, its why I brought up their scores in the other games they have played.

Cincy just waltzed into Lambeu and put up 31 points. The Browns put up 20 against Minny (though I am under the impression they didnt score an offensive TD in that game as the announcers in ours said Cleveland has only produced 1 offensive TD in like 11 straight games or something).

And no, I am not saying Denver is world beaters. IN fact, Im not saying anything, Im legitimately asking how good are they? The offenses they have faced don't really APPEAR to be awesome but Cincy throwing down in GB for 31 kind of says maybe they are at least, better than crap.

TheDave
Give some of the credit to McDaniels and the Play calling... He's done a very good job of keeping the defense out of bad situations.

BroncoBuff
Too early to be sure, but it looks freaking incredible.

Sacks are so refreshing ......

oubronco
09-20-2009, 06:25 PM
Sorry Raenos....I forgot that Peyton gifted them 3. 5 ppg actually.

Hey oubronco....how come you aren't signing every post with the same **** you were 3 months ago? Bandwagon much?

Nope Meck told me I had to be positive :-*

Archer81
09-20-2009, 06:26 PM

Run defense is refreshing, too.

:Broncos:

oubronco
09-20-2009, 06:27 PM
So because these teams are historically bad we should just discount the fact that we held them to 6.5 ppg while the NFC north (not the lions either) has allowed 25.5 ppg to the two of them this season?

Hey, if you want to be a negative Nancy go right ahead, but it is more than obvious to me that our defense is SIGNIFICANTLY better than the last 2 years.

Even if the pass defense doesn't hold up against some of the better teams this year, the fact that we are holding the running games in check is encouraging.

I'm not being negative I'm just saying maybe we ought to wait before we annoint them "Best Defense Ever" is that OK with you

oubronco
09-20-2009, 06:28 PM
For those saying the teams aren't great, its why I brought up their scores in the other games they have played.

Cincy just waltzed into Lambeu and put up 31 points. The Browns put up 20 against Minny (though I am under the impression they didnt score an offensive TD in that game as the announcers in ours said Cleveland has only produced 1 offensive TD in like 11 straight games or something).

And no, I am not saying Denver is world beaters. IN fact, Im not saying anything, Im legitimately asking how good are they? The offenses they have faced don't really APPEAR to be awesome but Cincy throwing down in GB for 31 kind of says maybe they are at least, better than crap.

OMG your such a negative nancy :spit:

Rock Chalk
09-20-2009, 06:29 PM
Some of the most encouraging things about the defense that I saw was the 3rd down big plays they made. Tipped passes at the line, good coverage, sacks, stuffs. This is a team that looks like they are actually getting better as the game progresses. Its something we have not seen in a LOOOONG time under Shanahan and any of his DCs.

Rock Chalk
09-20-2009, 06:30 PM

No, sacks on THIRD DOWN are refreshing. Its something we just dont see often here in Denver.

Lev Vyvanse
09-20-2009, 06:35 PM
Definitely top thirty, maybe top twenty.

Meck77
09-20-2009, 06:36 PM
Nope Meck told me I had to be positive :-*

Welcome back. :thumbsup:

One fan at a time.........

Bronx33
09-20-2009, 06:38 PM
Some of the most encouraging things about the defense that I saw was the 3rd down big plays they made. Tipped passes at the line, good coverage, sacks, stuffs. This is a team that looks like they are actually getting better as the game progresses. Its something we have not seen in a LOOOONG time under Shanahan and any of his DCs.

What really helped was the O sustaining longer drives allowing the D to recoup those 3 and outs almost killed us last week.

misturanderson
09-20-2009, 06:38 PM

That has been the most exciting thing for me to see as well. How many times under Shanny did we get up 21 points in the first quarter and then fade SO badly that we ended up losing the game? I mean, half the time we would still be up 7 in the 4th and everyone would know that we were going to lose if the other team didn't completely choke.

Getting better after halftime is the best part about this season so far.

oubronco
09-20-2009, 06:40 PM
welcome back. :thumbsup:

One fan at a time.........

:~ohyah!:

dsmoot
09-20-2009, 06:42 PM
Tough question... I mean, we all have to like what we see. I'm not trying to be negative, and Elvis was great today, but ask me again after we play real teams.

I tend to share your view on the competition and a wait and see attitude. On a positive note, I enjoy seeing Denver being much more physical - I didn't realize I had missed Al Wilson so much. I like the increased pressure the 3-4 is providing, Alphonso Smith, the improvement at safety, watching defensive tackles making tackles, the improvement at LB with Haggin and Davis vs Webster/Winborn.

I enjoy not seeing a LB celebrating after a stop when he has literally whiffed the last two.

I am having much more frustration with the offense. We will burden this defense if we can't sustain drives.

Rock Chalk
09-20-2009, 06:46 PM
I tend to share your view on the competition and a wait and see attitude. On a positive note, I enjoy seeing Denver being much more physical - I didn't realize I had missed Al Wilson so much. I like the increased pressure the 3-4 is providing, Alphonso Smith, the improvement at safety, watching defensive tackles making tackles, the improvement at LB with Haggin and Davis vs Webster/Winborn.

I enjoy not seeing a LB celebrating after a stop when he has literally whiffed the last two.

I am having much more frustration with the offense. We will burden this defense if we can't sustain drives.

Im not concerned with the offense.

Its not time to be concerned yet. Things got better from last week to this, and from the first half to the second half. Orton I think is starting to get a little more comfortable in the system and next week that glove comes off.

There is improvement there as well. He took a few more shots down field today, we got some big plays out of the run game and the passing game. It may not be a great team we just beat, but you cannot overestimate the value of building confidence and momentum.

IF the trend continues, by week 4, when we play what, Dallas? We should be clicking on all cylinders. Week 3 against Oakland and I think clicking 3/4ths of the way will be plenty with our defense.

Meck77
09-20-2009, 06:48 PM
I was laughing my ass off when the commentators were talking about how the Broncos have always taken pride in managing the clock with a lead down the stretch. They obviously missed the last 10 years or so when we'd jump all over a team only to fade away down the stretch and lose with a last second field goal or worse.

Even though we may have some more "pain" ahead of us I'm thrilled Shanny and Cutler are gone. I'm also glad we have a BOLD owner who isn't afraid of change.

lex
09-20-2009, 06:51 PM
I was laughing my ass off when the commentators were talking about how the Broncos have always taken pride in managing the clock with a lead down the stretch. They obviously missed the last 10 years or so when we'd jump all over a team only to fade away down the stretch and lose with a last second field goal or worse.

Even though we may have some more "pain" ahead of us I'm thrilled Shanny and Cutler are gone. I'm also glad we have a BOLD owner who isn't afraid of change.

Im also glad you have an old owner, K.unta Kinte.

nickademus
09-20-2009, 06:53 PM
The thing I have noticed apart from the one drive in the Cincy game is that we have really limited the big plays. Alot of the bigger runs or pass plays that we have given up have been limited where as last season they would have gone for 6. I attribute this to the over all upgrade @ SAFETY. I really like the 3-4 for us and honestly we are alot bigger in our front seven now than we have been and I love it. Doom has totally suprised me I really didnt think he would make the transition so quickly but he has been a beast. I do feel like we are in need of a real test but that will come soon enough I have no problem with gaining confidence at the front end of the season and then taking our chances.

broncosteven
09-20-2009, 06:58 PM
I think the D is much improved. I don't think we're quite as good as these numbers appear... but I DO think we're good. I said it in the pre-season. We've made tremendous upgrades across our front 7 and of course, our secondary.

Nolan was also a huge upgrade. There was no reason to think we wouldn't see some improvement, and we certainly have.

Those who ran the whole "we've done nothing to improve our front seven" line of bull**** were corrected back in the pre-season, and are being corrected now.

I agree with all but the Dline setence, I think the scheme change, moving Doom to OLB and playing Turnstile St Clair who the Bears cut helped more than our Dline.

It will be nice to see how we do vs Dullas, Patsy's, SD, Balt, NY, Indy and Philly though.

Bronx33
09-20-2009, 07:00 PM

And yes this wonderful post needed to be edited.

missingnumber7
09-20-2009, 07:00 PM
I like how our D comes out of halftime. It looks like we get more pressure or maybe they just call more blitz packages in the second half. But I think our coaching staff does much better after half time than we have in recent years.

Inkana7
09-20-2009, 07:01 PM

Ooh, a slave reference, nice.

DBroncos4life
09-20-2009, 07:01 PM
Dumervil is looking very good. He looks just like Harrison :)

Popps
09-20-2009, 07:04 PM
I agree with all but the Dline setence, .

Again, we have an entirely new front seven. Those who claimed we didn't address the D-line and front seven were simply incorrect.

That should be immediately obvious after watching this game.

We have 3 new starters on the D-line and two new "DEs" at the OLB spot.

The scheme fits the talent, and the talent has been upgraded and completely changed.

As I said, we can put to rest the idea that we did "nothing" to help the D-line, particularly when you realize that the OLBs are really part of the D-line in our system.

McMastermind
09-20-2009, 07:08 PM
Again, we have an entirely new front seven. Those who claimed we didn't address the D-line and front seven were simply incorrect.

That should be immediately obvious after watching this game.

We have 3 new starters on the D-line and two new "DEs" at the OLB spot.

The scheme fits the talent, and the talent has been upgraded and completely changed.

As I said, we can put to rest the idea that we did "nothing" to help the D-line, particularly when you realize that the OLBs are really part of the D-line in our system.

He's talking to you Mock....

Atwater His Ass
09-20-2009, 07:10 PM
The 2006 defense got off to one of the best starts in the history of the NFL, but weren't able to maintain that form or anything close to it for the entire season. Obviously we aren't going to be giving up less than 10 pts a game for the entire season. I'll think you'll find this defense in the middle of the pack come year end, which is a nice improvement from the last two seasons.

I'm more impressed with last week on the road against a team in Cin that actually has a decent offense and a good QB.

The good news against CLE is that we played how we should play at home against one of the worst teams in the NFL. So that's a good thing too.

Popps
09-20-2009, 07:14 PM
The 2006 defense got off to one of the best starts in the history of the NFL, but weren't able to maintain that form or anything close to it for the entire season. Obviously we aren't going to be giving up less than 10 pts a game for the entire season. I'll think you'll find this defense in the middle of the pack come year end, which is a nice improvement from the last two seasons..

Even though you're a regular Wheaties-pisser around here, you happen to be correct, here.

This defense will have its problems and we have young guys we need to learn to be contributors. (Smith/Ayers, etc.) Injuries, better competition and other factors will give us challenges as the season goes on.

But, as a lot of us said before the season... the thing we need to see is progress, and improvement as the season goes on, not the opposite.

bombay
09-20-2009, 07:24 PM
Suddenly San Diego doesn't look daunting. Williams hurt, Merriman quite ordianary as is LaDanian. Turner, well, turner is imenently beatable. Raiders subpar, Chefs new qb a flash in the pan, and the Broncos seemingly improving offensively week by week.

Perhaps the panic was premature?

spdirty
09-20-2009, 07:25 PM
Really really like what Ive seen out of the defense. Getting pressure, Elvis, the turnovers, just about everything. And I think the dominance will continue next week. We'll see how they do against Dallas and New England though (they might hold their own afainst NE though.)

snowspot66
09-20-2009, 07:27 PM
Honestly we all would have been thrilled with a low 20's defense before the season started. We have a real shot at a high to mid teens defense, if not a little better, with a little luck and barring injuries to key guys. I'm ecstatic.

Punisher
09-20-2009, 07:27 PM
The D is Shockingly great, I'm so happy :)

peacepipe
09-20-2009, 07:29 PM
We'll find out soon enough, we got Oakland,Dallas,New England,san diego,baltimore, & then pittsburgh. in that order.

spdirty
09-20-2009, 07:29 PM
Suddenly San Diego doesn't look daunting. Williams hurt, Merriman quite ordianary as is LaDanian. Turner, well, turner is imenently beatable. Raiders subpar, Chefs new qb a flash in the pan, and the Broncos seemingly improving offensively week by week.

Perhaps the panic was premature?

Hope so. Would be cool to see Simms take over and lead this team to a division crown.

Being 2-0 for the 3rd straight year is nice.

peacepipe
09-20-2009, 07:32 PM

Perhaps the panic was premature?They never look daunting starting the season.

Bronx33
09-20-2009, 07:33 PM
Really really like what Ive seen out of the defense. Getting pressure, Elvis, the turnovers, just about everything. And I think the dominance will continue next week. We'll see how they do against Dallas and New England though (they might hold their own afainst NE though.)

All i know is NE looked like warmed over crap today..

Broncos_OTM
09-20-2009, 07:40 PM
3rd down stops, turn overs, sacks, pressure, run stuffing d. we are building. i felt the d was out there to long last week. it wasnt out there nearly as long this week. i felt nolan did plenty to get in quinns head. man i am a homer but i think this team is close.

Rock Chalk
09-20-2009, 07:40 PM
Folks,

I dont care how bad the Browns are, if ANY defense can hold another NFL team to 200 TOTAL YARDS OF OFFENSE, that is a pretty good defense.

Ambiguous
09-20-2009, 07:45 PM

Give the team some credit. Even if the teams we beat turn out to win 3 games between them, they did what a good team is supposed to do - hold them to 13 points over 2 games and win.

I'm not saying we're playoff bound, but they're winning when they should. We can meltdown later, just enjoy it.

jutang
09-20-2009, 08:46 PM
What I love about this Defense, Team for that matter, is that it doesn't play down to their opponents. That was my BIGGEST pet peeve with Shanahan's teams.

Still way too early where to place this years Broncos, but thus far the Defense is preforming much higher than my expectations and the offense is pretty much where I thought it would be.

I'd say the Broncos Defense will be around the 10-12th best D when it's all said and done. How weird is it to see the cultural identity shift from the Broncos O as its strength to its D in a only one season.

lex
09-20-2009, 08:54 PM
Like I said in the other thread, i think we may end up better than average statistically depending on how things play out with KC and Oakland. But I think we'll be exploited at some point by better teams and that over the season and that it will be a mixed bag when playing against better teams. I dont think the talent upgrade last year is nearly as vast as has been the upgrade at DC.

Popps
09-20-2009, 10:05 PM
What really helped was the O sustaining longer drives allowing the D to recoup those 3 and outs almost killed us last week.

Great point.

We had some longer, grinding drives that really take the life out of an opposing defense.

ZONA
09-20-2009, 10:29 PM
It's been pointed out many times before. A team can change dramatically in one offseason. While I don't think the Pats, Eagles, Cowboys or Chargers are going to end up as bad teams, I don't think the gap between them and us is nearly as big as we all thought it might be entering this season. I still believe it's a very hard schedule for us but all of those teams above are also not looking quite as powerful as we thought they might and I believe the games will be a closer contest then many seem to think.

If you can stop the run and don't turn the ball over, you will have a shot to win the game, even if it's the Pats, Eagles, Steelers, Cowboys or Chargers.

BroncoMan4ever
09-20-2009, 10:38 PM

last years defense would have allowed 35 to the Lions.

bottom feeders or not, the fact that we have put these teams away, is major improvement. we aren't playing down to competition anymore and are just dominating who we should dominate

azbroncfan
09-20-2009, 11:01 PM
I am loving the new scheme on Defense and the coaching. They are playing hard and creating plays which hasn't been done in a long time. Now I will be a little hesitant until I see them do it against a great football team. I think Cincy is better than anyone thought a lot like Denver.

fdf
09-20-2009, 11:29 PM

So far, they have exceeded my expectations. I really didn't think it was possible to build a good D from scratch in one offseason. I suspect there will be a bumpy ride ahead--they can't be this good. But I'll be happy with decent this year and getting better. That will be huge progress.

OK, it wasn't completely from scratch. We had three good or very good starters.

fdf
09-20-2009, 11:39 PM

Maybe there's an inside joke you guys share that I don't know about. If so, I apologize for this post in advance. But, unless there's something I'm missing, this post is tacky, rude, and well beyond the limits of the way decent people communicate. Shame on you.

Cleo McDowell
09-20-2009, 11:48 PM
strange, it seems every season this type of post comes after a few solid performances but since i havent seen it yet..

WHAT NICKNAME DO WE GIVE THIS DEFENSE? ORANGE CRUSH, BLUE CRUSH, BUKKAKE WARRIORS? Should we make a poll?

:~ohyah!:

zdoor
09-21-2009, 06:19 AM
I love the style and the fact that we aren't wearing down as the game goes on. Leaps and bounds better than last year.

barryr
09-21-2009, 06:50 AM
The Broncos' defense of last year couldn't stop the Browns or Cincy either when they played them then. So that alone shows improvement.

cousinal11
09-21-2009, 07:30 AM
Is there any doubt our defense the last 2 years gives up 20+ yesterday?

None whatsoever.

BroncoBuff
09-21-2009, 07:32 AM
We had some longer, grinding drives that really take the life out of an opposing defense.

My points exactly .... Buck + Knowshon + Hillis + O-line = fewer, safer passes, and FRESH DEFENSE.

I like that identity for this team ... it's revo-freaking-lutionary around here, but it's always been a good formula for winning in the NFL.

Bronco X
09-21-2009, 07:51 AM
Folks,

I dont care how bad the Browns are, if ANY defense can hold another NFL team to 200 TOTAL YARDS OF OFFENSE, that is a pretty good defense.

And lets not forget that this Browns offense, as bad as they were last year, still managed to put up 30 pts against LAST years Broncos defense. Regardless of how this years defense stacks up against more potent offenses, the improvement is obvious, and we've been waiting years to say that about a Bronco defense.

Cito Pelon
09-21-2009, 07:57 AM
They've shown they can consistently stop the run, get to the ball carrier fast in the open field, tackle surely in the open field, play with confidence, keep their assignments.

Those are all good indicators of a steady, competent D.

And, it looks like they have some good rookies.

Naturally, there will be some ups and downs. This is the NFL, there's a lot of competition to be faced, the rules are geared to the O. But it sure looks like the future is bright.

Cito Pelon
09-21-2009, 08:19 AM

I don't see any reason to be frustrated with the O over the CLE game. 449 yds, 25 first downs, 74 O plays, had what, 4-5 drives with 12+ plays. That's like picture perfect in a strong steady crosswind all day after fumbling the opening KO and 2 missed FG's.

Rohirrim
09-21-2009, 08:43 AM

You really are a pos.