PDA

View Full Version : Good News for You Guys (Chargers lose Jamal Williams for the year)

boltaneer
09-19-2009, 01:47 PM
Though Jamal hasn't looked that great for a while, it's still a big blow.

http://www.chargers.com/news/press-releases/article-1/Williams-placed-on-Reserve-Injured/301a2bf7-610f-4201-b2b0-23f894833a48

Williams to Reserve-Injured, Coleman signed to active roster

The San Diego Chargers placed defensive tackle Jamal Williams on Reserve-Injured with a tricep injury. Williams will miss the remainder of the ’09 season.

To fill Williams’ place on the active roster, the team signed defensive end Andre Coleman from its practice squad.

baja
09-19-2009, 01:48 PM
Too bad about the injury Boltfan.

tsiguy96
09-19-2009, 01:50 PM
chargers are getting beat up big time. is any of their starting oline out this week/year?

boltaneer
09-19-2009, 01:54 PM
C Hardwick is out. RG Vasquez is probably out but I think it's game time decision.

The only bright spot is that I think the backups actually played better.

CHANGSTER
09-19-2009, 02:04 PM
I just saw this. Pretty surprising, any idea what happened?

DarkHorse
09-19-2009, 02:14 PM
It's never good news when a player goes down, rivalry or not. Exemptions are pieces of **** like Terrell Owens, Pacman, etc.....

I see what you're saying tho.

atomicbloke
09-19-2009, 02:26 PM
The Bolts will still sweep us.

Archer81
09-19-2009, 02:28 PM
I'm thinking San Diego's window is not only closed, but somebody bricked it up.

:Broncos:

baja
09-19-2009, 02:33 PM
San Diego will finish behind the Broncos and the Raiders.

cutthemdown
09-19-2009, 02:34 PM
C Hardwick is out. RG Vasquez is probably out but I think it's game time decision.

The only bright spot is that I think the backups actually played better.

Sometimes though until the other teams starters can prepare for the bkups weaknesses in their games don't get exposed.

Its tough for an oline to make all the calls with a new center, this is not good when facing teams like Ravens.

Bolts have talent though and should be fine as long as like you say the bkups are good. A lot of times bkups just starters waiting for there shot.

baja
09-19-2009, 02:34 PM
Breez is going to have a better career than Rivers.

Boss Man
09-19-2009, 02:53 PM
Breez is going to have a better career than Rivers.

well to be fair brees will end up being one of the best qbs of all time...

cutthemdown
09-19-2009, 03:02 PM
When Brees was lying om the field with his shoulder torn apart after the Broncos put him out, who would of guessed he would go on to do what he has done?

Man I'm glad the Raiders or Chiefs didn't sign Brees but honestly back then I don't think the teams in the AFC west thought he was that good.

He just tears it up now.

SouthStndJunkie
09-19-2009, 03:11 PM
He is the cog on that defense.

He is 33 now and has a lot of wear and tear on his body.

cutthemdown
09-19-2009, 03:13 PM
He is the cog on that defense.

He is 33 now and has a lot of wear and tear on his body.

Dan Neil Jumping on the back of his knees from behind 10 yrs ago probably didn't help him out with that avoiding wear and tear.

Took him out for the yr if I remember correctly and screwed his knee bad.

That play more than any other is what started Broncos reputation as a dirty oline.

Man Dan Neil was a mean and nasty player.

bronco militia
09-19-2009, 03:21 PM
Dan Neil Jumping on the back of his knees from behind 10 yrs ago probably didn't help him out with that avoiding wear and tear.

That play more than any other is what started Broncos reputation as a dirty oline.

he had it coming

cutthemdown
09-19-2009, 03:27 PM
he had it coming

LOL they were both chasing a play down the sidelines, it was a bad moment in Broncos football.

Most of the other times we broke people legs or knees I felt the play was solid football play. But that one even I can't go along with. It was a dirty play and Neil should not have done it.

bowtown
09-19-2009, 03:28 PM
Keep an eye on Pedescleaux on the practice squad.

cutthemdown
09-19-2009, 03:31 PM
My buddy just said Neil was the one who got Bryan Cox, and Williams ankle was dislocated on a cheap shot from Steve Herndon.

Oh well it twas a long time ago, I can't remember that well.

cutthemdown
09-19-2009, 03:32 PM
Keep an eye on Pedescleaux on the practice squad.

Any team pilfering Broncos dline talent would be ironic.

azbroncfan
09-19-2009, 03:36 PM
He looked like sh#t against Oakland.

Gcver2ver3
09-19-2009, 03:43 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/09/19/chargers-send-jamal-williams-to-ir/

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/12231910

the Chargers D-line has been struggling as it is...now they lose their anchor...

Harvitz81
09-19-2009, 03:45 PM
Whether he is getting pass his prime or not, this is a huge blow to SD. The NT is the most important position in the 3-4 and now they are having to play someone from their practice squad in his place.

I think the AFC West is wide open this year...

Gcver2ver3
09-19-2009, 03:46 PM
i started a thread thinking this one was about Jamal Lewis...

my bad...maybe i should've actually taken the time to click on the thread...

oh well...Mods feel free to merge...

Gcver2ver3
09-19-2009, 03:47 PM
i started this thread thinking that other one was about Jamal Lewis...

my bad...maybe i should've actually taken the time to click on the thread...

oh well...Mods feel free to merge...

Hercules Rockefeller
09-19-2009, 03:57 PM
Unless it's happening to the Bears for this season only, all injuries suck.

Bronx33
09-19-2009, 04:01 PM
No excuses when we beat you down ok...

Br0nc0Buster
09-19-2009, 04:18 PM
Ouch that sucks

9-7 may take the division this year

UberBroncoMan
09-19-2009, 04:36 PM
Ouch that sucks

9-7 may take the division this year

Invert that.

baja
09-19-2009, 04:50 PM
Invert that. (9 - 7)

6 and L

OBF1
09-19-2009, 04:50 PM
Atleast they still have a healthy Tomlinson in his prime :thumbs:

Bronx33
09-19-2009, 05:02 PM
Atleast they still have a healthy Tomlinson in his prime :thumbs:

prime part 4..

Garcia Bronco
09-19-2009, 05:09 PM
You never like to see a guy like that get injured.

400HZ
09-19-2009, 05:21 PM

Actually that cheap shot was Kelly Herndon and it dislocated Jamal Williams' ankle. The Chargers defense fell apart that year after he went on IR. Unless San Diego makes a move to shore up their defensive line, the same thing will happen this year I'm afraid. HUGE blow. There was alot riding on those cankles.

Bronx33
09-19-2009, 05:26 PM
actually that cheap shot was kelly herndon and it dislocated jamal williams' ankle. The chargers defense fell apart that year after he went on ir. Unless san diego makes a move to shore up their defensive line, the same thing will happen this year i'm afraid. Huge blow. There was alot riding on those cankles.

ouch!

boltaneer
09-19-2009, 05:33 PM
Actually that cheap shot was Kelly Herndon and it dislocated Jamal Williams' ankle. The Chargers defense fell apart that year after he went on IR. Unless San Diego makes a move to shore up their defensive line, the same thing will happen this year I'm afraid. HUGE blow. There was alot riding on those cankles.

To be honest, Jamal hasn't looked like his old self since 2007.

Not saying this isn't a huge loss because it is. But no one on that d-line, including Jamal has been showing much for a while now.

Seeing some 4-3 at this point might be interesting...

Orange_Beard
09-19-2009, 05:49 PM
Wow.

Chuggers are going to get run over.

Orange_Beard
09-19-2009, 05:50 PM

Not saying this isn't a huge loss because it is. But no one on that d-line, including Jamal has been showing much for a while now.

I disagree. He was a big part of the late season surge last year.

DBroncos4life
09-19-2009, 06:41 PM
Invert that.

That's is funny I tried saying that last week and some Bolts fan got upset. They looked like **** and out of any team in the west the Raiders looked the best minus the QB play. RS was a monster and he was only in Oakland 24 hours before the game started. Still there is no reason to think that Denver couldn't win the division. SD will fall apart and KC will be KC, its a race between Oakland and Denver.

cutthemdown
09-19-2009, 06:50 PM

I think it was steve herndon who was a bkup guard that yr.

Kelly Herndon was dback from what I remember. No way him and Jammal on field at same time.

cutthemdown
09-19-2009, 06:52 PM

Right but at same time defense hasn't seemed as good since his decline. Chargers were hoping for a resurgence from him to make them dominant again.

Without him in the middle playing well they just aren't as scary.

DBroncos4life
09-19-2009, 06:57 PM
Right but at same time defense hasn't seemed as good since his decline. Chargers were hoping for a resurgence from him to make them dominant again.

Without him in the middle playing well they just aren't as scary.

No one will be scared of Sproles running the ball either. Is he a good player? Yeah he is but can he run the ball? 2.8 yards per carry vs Oakland isn't going to get it done. The OLine isn't going to keep people off of Rivers either. They won't win more then 8 games this year.

cutthemdown
09-19-2009, 07:04 PM
No one will be scared of Sproles running the ball either. Is he a good player? Yeah he is but can he run the ball? 2.8 yards per carry vs Oakland isn't going to get it done. The OLine isn't going to keep people off of Rivers either. They won't win more then 8 games this year.

I think oaklands dline better then people think.

DBroncos4life
09-19-2009, 07:14 PM

I think that team would be a playoff team if they had a QB.

UberBroncoMan
09-19-2009, 07:35 PM

Their D-Line is freaking nasty is what it is...

Two spanking new All-Pro DE's from FA/Trade... granted Ellis is old, but he still has had a great career and 8 sacks last year... Richard is only 29.

Plus they got two huge guys in the middle to clog stuff up...

Hell everyone is 6-6 and about 300 LB's except for Warren who is 6-4 and around 330 (perfect for the nose in the 4-3).

They have a great D-Line.

boltaneer
09-19-2009, 08:01 PM

Bennett should be getting most of the carries tomorrow but Sproles will still be getting most of the touches I would think.

If they can step up in the trenches, they'll be fine. But yeah, that's a pretty big if at this point. The backups on the o-line looked good but we'll see if they can continue that this week.

I actually think the offense will be okay, it's the defense that I think will struggle big time. No one on the d-line outside of Nwagbuo has stood out going back to pre-season and Merriman is obviously still not 100% though he's already commanding double teams.

DBroncos4life
09-19-2009, 08:10 PM
Bennett should be getting most of the carries tomorrow but Sproles will still be getting most of the touches I would think.

If they can step up in the trenches, they'll be fine. But yeah, that's a pretty big if at this point. The backups on the o-line looked good but we'll see if they can continue that this week.

I actually think the offense will be okay, it's the defense that I think will struggle big time. No one on the d-line outside of Nwagbuo has stood out going back to pre-season and Merriman is obviously still not 100% though he's already commanding double teams.

http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/7981/brickedupwindowsb100636.jpg (http://img169.imageshack.us/i/brickedupwindowsb100636.jpg/)

boltaneer
09-19-2009, 08:40 PM
http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/7981/brickedupwindowsb100636.jpg (http://img169.imageshack.us/i/brickedupwindowsb100636.jpg/)

http://lastprice.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/broken_record.jpg

DBroncos4life
09-19-2009, 08:49 PM
http://lastprice.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/broken_record.jpg

Oh so you have championships to go along with your teams awesome run?

cutthemdown
09-19-2009, 09:02 PM
How many yr left on big Richard Seymores deal? I doubt he resigns with the Raiders without hitting market first.

Or maybe Raiders figure if they want him they will transition him in the uncapped yr and get right of first refusal?

Not a bad plan. Or franchise him and if you do lose him you get the pick back and an extra one.

I'm not so sure the Raider not a threat. I know Russell still struggling but the oline seems to be playing well together even with journeyman on the right side.

The dbacks seem athletic, the dline big, the linebackers pretty good.

Good stable of RBs, good TE.

They need the passing game to come around. If that happened I think they have a pretty tough team.

boltaneer
09-19-2009, 09:02 PM
Oh so you have championships to go along with your teams awesome run?

No but I keep hearing every year how they're going to go back to the Bobby Bethard days because the "window has closed".

I guess if people keep saying it year after year after year, they'll eventually be right...

DBroncos4life
09-19-2009, 09:19 PM
No but I keep hearing every year how they're going to go back to the Bobby Bethard days because the "window has closed".

I guess if people keep saying it year after year after year, they'll eventually be right...

14-2 to 11-5. 11-5 to 8-8 I guess over the last three years you feel like SD has got stronger.

Popps
09-19-2009, 09:49 PM
Wow, that's a huge loss. It's going to be very interesting to see if SD can hold things together. They still have talent, but it's not starting off well.

SoDak Bronco
09-19-2009, 09:57 PM
did he play hurt the other night? he didn't seem to be himself when 'i was watching... Merriman didn't look as dominate as before either..the age is catching up to this team.

JCMElway
09-19-2009, 10:13 PM
San Diego will finish behind the Broncos and the Raiders.

Wow. I don't think I'd be willing to put money on that statement.

Rock Chalk
09-19-2009, 10:33 PM
I think it was steve herndon who was a bkup guard that yr.

Kelly Herndon was dback from what I remember. No way him and Jammal on field at same time.

Kelly Herndon was a starting DB and a pretty good one while he was here.

It was Steve Herndon that did it to Jammal Williams.

JCMElway
09-19-2009, 10:33 PM

You know boltaneer, I'd lost some of my hate for Rivers after Cutler left. And then I look at your avatar, and it all comes rushing right back into place.

From the bottom of my Foneco, thank you sir.

boltaneer
09-19-2009, 10:39 PM
14-2 to 11-5. 11-5 to 8-8 I guess over the last three years you feel like SD has got stronger.

They've won some playoff games in the last two seasons. That's improvement in my eyes.

In recent years, the Giants and Steelers have proven that you can overcome poor play early in the season and go all the way.

Injuries are the thing that have really hurt this team from going all the way, not age. The majority of the key players on both sides of the ball are still in their prime.

DBroncos4life
09-19-2009, 11:07 PM
They've won some playoff games in the last two seasons. That's improvement in my eyes.

In recent years, the Giants and Steelers have proven that you can overcome poor play early in the season and go all the way.

Injuries are the thing that have really hurt this team from going all the way, not age. The majority of the key players on both sides of the ball are still in their prime.

did there regular season get worse over the past three years?

boltaneer
09-19-2009, 11:12 PM
did there regular season get worse over the past three years?

What does it matter when they're still playing in January?

Rock Chalk
09-19-2009, 11:15 PM

You cant count on Cutler to choke away a 3 game lead with 3 to go this year :)

boltaneer
09-19-2009, 11:16 PM
You cant count on Cutler to choke away a 3 game lead with 3 to go this year :)

This is true. Hopefully Orton will start throwing some more left handed interceptions at the end of the year then. ;)

DBroncos4life
09-19-2009, 11:26 PM

multiple games?

DBroncos4life
09-19-2009, 11:32 PM
I feel bad that for some reason you think you have a playoff type team in SD. I mean don't get me wrong you got a good core with Rivers, Jackson and Gates but that team isn't going anywhere. I wouldn't be shocked if you guys got swept by KC. The D might get better if the NFL stops random drug tests but I don't see them doing that this year.

boltaneer
09-19-2009, 11:37 PM
multiple games?

Sure. It's happened the past two years, right?

I say don't jump the gun yet. Let's see how the youngsters fare tomorrow against Baltimore before everyone writes them off. With the emergence of Flacco, they have a legitimate playoff type team now. If the Chargers play well against Baltimore, then what will everyone say?

And this is all still premature. Just like I mentioned above, teams can turn it around at the end of the season. This kind of speculation is very ESPN-ish. And I know how much everyone hates that kind of stuff around here.

Archer81
09-19-2009, 11:46 PM
Well...Norv teams have started off slow...but its worrisome that every year he has coached they had fewer wins then the year before...but only worrisome of you are a Charger fan.

Chris
09-19-2009, 11:52 PM
Merriman just needs to get used to NFL size again... he's too used to practicing on sub 5 foot Asian chicks

boltaneer
09-19-2009, 11:59 PM
Well...Norv teams have started off slow...but its worrisome that every year he has coached they had fewer wins then the year before...but only worrisome of you are a Charger fan.

The thing with Marty is that, the team was much more consistent under him. In his last three years here, I believe only three of his losses were by more than one score.

With Norv, the team is much more Jekyll and Hyde but he somehow gets them playing their best when it counts.

I still prefer Marty as a coach but you can't argue with results. Whether Notv goes 11-5 or 8-8, he has won in the post season so that is not too worrisome to me.

carlosgmz1
09-20-2009, 12:28 AM

:worthless

ROFL!

but I don't get what the picture means? could someone explain please lol

cutthemdown
09-20-2009, 02:00 AM

ROFL!

think harder

cutthemdown
09-20-2009, 02:17 AM
I think it's pretty obvious at this point Chargers made a huge mistake letting Turner leave and keeping LT. The smart move would have been offering LT up for highest bidder the yr Turner was up for FA.

It would have been tough to do but IMO would have been the right move. The GM blew it.

atomicbloke
09-20-2009, 03:35 AM

ROFL!

The pic means the proverbial window of opportunity has closed.

JJJ
09-20-2009, 06:42 AM
I think it's pretty obvious at this point Chargers made a huge mistake letting Turner leave and keeping LT. The smart move would have been offering LT up for highest bidder the yr Turner was up for FA.

It would have been tough to do but IMO would have been the right move. The GM blew it.

History says you are correct. If Turner had one more year on his initial contract things would have worked out quite different. God I hate 4 year rookie contracts.

Jamal is better off out than playing hurt like he did last year. Bolts don't have enough hogs on the line to do much more than win the division I think. Yes the rest of the division is still worse. 9-7 will win the division.

Game is won in the trenches and our guys are not stout enough to take on the likes of Pittsburgh. But that is why they play the game. Maybe some of the young guys will step up.

baja
09-20-2009, 07:01 AM

My guess is it was not a football decision but a Ownership decision. After the Junior Seau fiasco ownership felt shipping LT out would erode the already fickle fan base.

400HZ
09-20-2009, 07:15 AM

I think we all kind of knew that at the time, but its just not a move that the Chargers could make. LT was the face of the team and coming off consecutive rushing titles. Most football fans are not pragmatists, and that move would have alienated just about every non-hardcore fan in the Chargers' fan base. We knew how talented Turner was. I have about two pages worth of negative rep here from when I told everyone that Turner was a better running back than Travis Henry.

400HZ
09-20-2009, 07:17 AM
That's is funny I tried saying that last week and some Bolts fan got upset. They looked like **** and out of any team in the west the Raiders looked the best minus the QB play. RS was a monster and he was only in Oakland 24 hours before the game started. Still there is no reason to think that Denver couldn't win the division. SD will fall apart and KC will be KC, its a race between Oakland and Denver.

:giggle:

It's not.

cutthemdown
09-20-2009, 08:26 AM
I think we all kind of knew that at the time, but its just not a move that the Chargers could make. LT was the face of the team and coming off consecutive rushing titles. Most football fans are not pragmatists, and that move would have alienated just about every non-hardcore fan in the Chargers' fan base. We knew how talented Turner was. I have about two pages worth of negative rep here from when I told everyone that Turner was a better running back than Travis Henry.

Obviously teams in the AFC should have been more interested in both Brees and Turner. How those 2 were so good and not wanted by Chargers are the rest of AFC west is a mystery.

You are right though to have the balls to trade LT at the time Turner left would have taken some real forward thinking. I'm not saying I would have had the gumption to pull it off, only that in hindsight that was the better move.

Onviously though lots of move Broncos made that are also easy to critique in hindsight.

Spider
09-20-2009, 08:29 AM

LOL the window was never fully opened .......

baja
09-20-2009, 08:38 AM
Like Spider said;

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2041/2461391763_122586d757.jpg?v=0

Spider
09-20-2009, 08:42 AM
Like Spider said;

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2041/2461391763_122586d757.jpg?v=0

Hilarious!

cutthemdown
09-20-2009, 08:59 AM
When your QB is young like Rivers his window is not closed.

For the Tomlinson powered Chargers it probably is.

BMarsh615
09-23-2009, 02:48 PM
I guess Nick Hardwick will be out until at least December and possibly the rest of the season.

http://www3.signonsandiego.com/weblogs/chargers/2009/sep/23/hardwick-have-surgery/?chargers
Hardwick having surgery
By Kevin Acee

September 23, 2009, 12:46 p.m.

The Chargers will apparently be without starting center Nick Hardwick until at least December and perhaps the rest of this season.

Sources said the team will announce later today that Hardwick is having surgery today on his left ankle and will be out at least eight weeks.

It is not known whether the Chargers will place Hardwick on injured reserve. They could decide to save a roster spot in case he can come back to help for a possible postseason run.

The Chargers last week lost nose tackle Jamal Williams, the cornerstone of their defense, for the season with a triceps tear.

Hardwick was injured in the third quarter of the Chargers' season-opening victory at Oakland.

Scott Mruczkowski has been filling in for Hardwick and will continue to do so, though it is not known whether they will try to find depth behind him. Their backup center currently is Dennis Norman, who was signed last week.

Hardwick is undergoing the procedure in Indianapolis with the same surgeon that repaired his foot after the 2007 season.

broncofan2438
09-23-2009, 03:10 PM
I guess Nick Hardwick will be out until at least December and possibly the rest of the season.

http://www3.signonsandiego.com/weblogs/chargers/2009/sep/23/hardwick-have-surgery/?chargers
Hardwick having surgery
By Kevin Acee

September 23, 2009, 12:46 p.m.

The Chargers will apparently be without starting center Nick Hardwick until at least December and perhaps the rest of this season.

Sources said the team will announce later today that Hardwick is having surgery today on his left ankle and will be out at least eight weeks.

It is not known whether the Chargers will place Hardwick on injured reserve. They could decide to save a roster spot in case he can come back to help for a possible postseason run.

The Chargers last week lost nose tackle Jamal Williams, the cornerstone of their defense, for the season with a triceps tear.

Hardwick was injured in the third quarter of the Chargers' season-opening victory at Oakland.

Scott Mruczkowski has been filling in for Hardwick and will continue to do so, though it is not known whether they will try to find depth behind him. Their backup center currently is Dennis Norman, who was signed last week.

Hardwick is undergoing the procedure in Indianapolis with the same surgeon that repaired his foot after the 2007 season.

Wow, another big loss if true. Gonna be tough to fill that guys spot.

Go Broncos

400HZ
09-23-2009, 08:11 PM
Hardwick is much easier to find a replacement for than Jamal. Jamal was a Pro Bowl player at a premium position

cutthemdown
09-23-2009, 08:13 PM
Hardwick is much easier to find a replacement for than Jamal. Jamal was a Pro Bowl player at a premium position

Man centers are sort of the nose tackles of the oline.

cutthemdown
09-23-2009, 08:36 PM
With your center out you have to have a new player calling the blocking assignments. Or you just go with what called and risk not adapting to pre-snap adjustments by dline and backers.

Whose the bkup and what type of experience does he have? Also how did the blocking look when he was out. I watched a little chargers but not a lot. I figure I will get my chance to see them up close soon enough.

boltaneer
09-23-2009, 09:07 PM
Losing Hardwick is a big loss but it's not really as bad as it could have been because Mruczkowski (man, I hate spelling that name!) has been playing pretty well. He's been around for several years now and he does have some playing experience so it's not like they have to throw in a rookie there like they're having to at RG.

RG (Dombrowski who is a tackle and has never played guard) and RT (Clary, who just sucks) are the big weak links on the o-line. Dielman hasn't been playing well either so he needs to step it up. McNeill is the most consistent guy on the line and he's hurting with a hand and ankle injury himself.

I'd rank the o-line from best to worst like this at the moment:

McNeill
Mruczkowski
Dielman
Clary/Dombrowski

cutthemdown
09-23-2009, 09:13 PM
wow those sound like some serious problems boltaneer. Good thing its early and most likely with KC/Oak/Den facing such a tough schedule the Chargers will either be in first place, or right around first place even with the line struggling.

I think Rivers can just make enough plays to keep up with anything the AFC West can bring to the table.

I love the Broncos so far but until I see them play some good teams I can't yet think they will be any better then the 8-8 I thought they could hit.

Raiders and Chiefs can forget about it. They hit 6-7 wins max.

So my point is that since it's early they have a shot at getting the oline squared away, because no way will the running game like it is now be good enough for the Chargers. Also they need to protect the Supastar Rivers.

400HZ
09-24-2009, 11:09 AM
wow those sound like some serious problems boltaneer. Good thing its early and most likely with KC/Oak/Den facing such a tough schedule the Chargers will either be in first place, or right around first place even with the line struggling.

I think Rivers can just make enough plays to keep up with anything the AFC West can bring to the table.

I love the Broncos so far but until I see them play some good teams I can't yet think they will be any better then the 8-8 I thought they could hit.

Raiders and Chiefs can forget about it. They hit 6-7 wins max.

So my point is that since it's early they have a shot at getting the oline squared away, because no way will the running game like it is now be good enough for the Chargers. Also they need to protect the Supastar Rivers.

Baltimore wasn't really a fair gauge of San Diego's run game. Our run game wasn't even that unproductive against them, it just didn't get many chances.

I don't think San Diego's offensive line is really in that bad of shape unless they sustain more injuries. Jeromey Clary gets blamed for everything, but I think he's actually looked pretty good this year. The pressure that the OL gave up was primarily from two sources: 1) Mruc messing up protection calls and allowing blitzers to penetrate up the middle. Baltimore has crazy versatility in their defense to blitz from different angles though, and I think that situation will improve as Mruc gains experience and we play less aggressive teams. 2) Kris Dielman, the supposed Pro Bowler, has really been playing like crap so far in pass protection. He needs to step back up.

Other than that, things aren't that bad. Mruc loses some speed to Hardwick, but he makes back up for it in size. Dombrowski has actually looked pretty solid, and he's not even a natural guard. McNeil has looked probably the best he has since the end of 2007.

The situation on the offensive line doesn't even compare to the mess on the DL in my opinion. Jamal's backup was already on IR before we lost Jamal. The only good news is that Luis Castillo looks like he remembered how to play football. The other spots are completely up in the air week-to-week depending on who is available for trade, who is on the waiver wire, and who happens to be injured at the time.

TonyR
09-24-2009, 11:27 AM
Baltimore wasn't really a fair gauge of San Diego's run game. Our run game wasn't even that unproductive against them, it just didn't get many chances.

Stats don't tell the whole story, but...

San Diego rushing against Oakland: 23-77
Kansas City rushing against Oakland: 38-173

DBroncos4life
09-24-2009, 12:15 PM

I don't think San Diego's offensive line is really in that bad of shape unless they sustain more injuries. Jeromey Clary gets blamed for everything, but I think he's actually looked pretty good this year. The pressure that the OL gave up was primarily from two sources: 1) Mruc messing up protection calls and allowing blitzers to penetrate up the middle. Baltimore has crazy versatility in their defense to blitz from different angles though, and I think that situation will improve as Mruc gains experience and we play less aggressive teams. 2) Kris Dielman, the supposed Pro Bowler, has really been playing like crap so far in pass protection. He needs to step back up.

Other than that, things aren't that bad. Mruc loses some speed to Hardwick, but he makes back up for it in size. Dombrowski has actually looked pretty solid, and he's not even a natural guard. McNeil has looked probably the best he has since the end of 2007.

The situation on the offensive line doesn't even compare to the mess on the DL in my opinion. Jamal's backup was already on IR before we lost Jamal. The only good news is that Luis Castillo looks like he remembered how to play football. The other spots are completely up in the air week-to-week depending on who is available for trade, who is on the waiver wire, and who happens to be injured at the time.

LOL do you think the Chargers running game is strong? Sproles is a heck of a player but he isn't a guy that is going to run with average. 2.6 yards per carry won't get it done. As a team you guys are tied for 30th in rushing.

400HZ
09-24-2009, 01:35 PM
LOL do you think the Chargers running game is strong? Sproles is a heck of a player but he isn't a guy that is going to run with average. 2.6 yards per carry won't get it done. As a team you guys are tied for 30th in rushing.

San Diego only had 14 running plays if you don't count the fullback dives and QB scambles, but the backup linemen were getting a lot more movement against Baltimore's tough defense than I expected they would. Michael Bennett averaged 4.75ypc on his runs, and those were all up the gut runs I think. It's obviously too small of a sample size to make definitive judgements from, but it's encouraging if you are a Chargers fan. There is hope there.

And I never said that the Chargers running game was strong. I just said that it wasn't the stagnant pile of worthlessness that we expected with two starting linemen and a starting runningback subtracted from the equation. I would consider establishing a league-average ground attack a huge success at this point.

400HZ
09-24-2009, 01:39 PM
Stats don't tell the whole story, but...

San Diego rushing against Oakland: 23-77
Kansas City rushing against Oakland: 38-173

KC rushed for 29 yards on 17 carries against Baltimore.

Inkana7
09-24-2009, 02:24 PM
KC rushed for 29 yards on 17 carries against Baltimore.

The comparison was against Oakland, so that really doesn't matter.