PDA

View Full Version : Full Color Football , The History of the AFL ... Showtime

TDmvp
09-19-2009, 12:37 AM
Full Color Football , The History of the AFL ... Showtime ... Well worth your time if you have showtime ...

:thumbs:

spdirty
09-19-2009, 07:42 AM
when is it on again?

tesnyde
09-19-2009, 07:53 AM
Full Color Football , The History of the AFL ... Showtime ... Well worth your time if you have showtime ...

I second that motion. An absolute must for any Bronco and AFC West fan.

Here's a link to the show's homepage:
http://sports.sho.com/full-color-football.html

Bronco Rob
09-19-2009, 07:57 AM
<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/aLFWvXT6ggg&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/aLFWvXT6ggg&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

BlaK-Argentina
09-19-2009, 09:51 AM
We ARE wearing our brown jerseys tomorrow, right?

TexanBob
09-19-2009, 12:04 PM
We ARE wearing our brown jerseys tomorrow, right?

We shouldn't. I thought the retro unis were only going to be against fellow old AFL opponents. Cleveland was NFL then but perhaps they deserve an asterisk because the Browns, 49ers and Rams were absorbed from the All-American Football Conference in the 1940s.

BlaK-Argentina
09-19-2009, 12:24 PM
We shouldn't. I thought the retro unis were only going to be against fellow old AFL opponents. Cleveland was NFL then but perhaps they deserve an asterisk because the Browns, 49ers and Rams were absorbed from the All-American Football Conference in the 1940s.

I didn't know that. I heard we were wearing them tomorrow. Doesn't really matter as long as we win. :sunshine:

Tombstone RJ
09-19-2009, 03:54 PM

Watched it last night, absolutely fantastic show, highly recommended!

TDmvp
09-19-2009, 11:52 PM
and it's 4 parts for the next 4 weeks ... So they will play the hell out of part one all this week and then i figure the 2 part will debut Sunday i think...

And Yea I agree it's a must see ... Learned a lot from it , can't wait till the next one.

TexanBob
09-20-2009, 05:30 PM
Four parts? I never watch Sh*ttime but I'll have to look for that when it gets into the "On Demand" menu and try to burn it onto DVD.

BroncoBuff
09-20-2009, 05:32 PM
4 parts? Hour each?

Gotta be a must-see.

TexanBob
09-21-2009, 07:36 PM
Saw the first part. It was okay but I think they are going to spin it into a statement about the 60s and how the hippie baby boomers changed the world and stuck it to the man, yada yada. Hell, they've got Dan Rather adding commentary.

I didn't like the technique of taking old NFL Films interviews and putting them inside a tv tube. Some of the film clips appeared "colorized", to use a Ted Turner term (notice how things in the background were B&W in some clips when the foreground was in color).

I didn't learn much I didn't already know but then I lived through the AFL and had already watched much of what NFL Films had in their library about the league. This looks like "NFL Films marries the History Channel". It was only missing Tom Brokaw and David Halberstam to give it that Ivy League elitism tone.

I give it a C+, at least for the first episode.

broncosteven
09-21-2009, 07:52 PM
Let me know if there is any Floyd action.

I can only find the 73 monday night game vs Oakland. I would love to see more Floyd especially with him up for HOF nomination.

TDmvp
09-30-2009, 09:13 PM
The new one premiered tonight ... Great for those who didn't grow up during that era , still worth a watch even if you did tho...

Being 34 I didn't know tons about Al Davis before he owned the Fade but boy he was just as douche like in his younger days and he sounded like Harry Caray when he spoke.

Hogan11
09-30-2009, 11:10 PM
I didn't know that. I heard we were wearing them tomorrow. Doesn't really matter as long as we win. :sunshine:

New England and San Diego are the games they wear the 1960 unis

TexanBob
10-01-2009, 04:33 PM
The second episode was better. It featured the 63-65 period and focused on the Chargers, Bills and Patriots. I'd give it a "B". Need to watch the third episode before it disappears from On Demand.

BroncoBuff
10-01-2009, 04:57 PM
I dunno TD, seemed like Al came off pretty well.

He was the commissioner who really started sticking to the NFL hard ... in fact, Al was ticked off that Hunt had worked out the merger without keeping him in the loop. Davis didn't want to merge with the NFL, he wanted to "crush" the NFL. I thought that was kinda cool.

TDmvp
10-01-2009, 05:33 PM
I dunno TD, seemed like Al came off pretty well.

He was the commissioner who really started sticking to the NFL hard ... in fact, Al was ticked off that Hunt had worked out the merger without keeping him in the loop. Davis didn't want to merge with the NFL, he wanted to "crush" the NFL. I thought that was kinda cool.

He was just the pit bull ... and once the real brains got what they wanted they pulled him off. He should have realized that long before.

To me he just comes off like thinks he is a much bigger deal then he is .