PDA

View Full Version : Champ B-Dawk switch

Crushisback
09-16-2009, 05:22 PM
Did anybody else notice this on Sunday. I would say it was only a few plays, but Dawk was lined up at CB and Champ behind him. I would guess they were running cover 2 and was for run support, but thought it was interesting. I've always thought in some situations(third and long) Champ would be well used at saftey. Please merge if this was covered in another thread.

*WARHORSE*
09-16-2009, 05:26 PM
Champ would be an awesome free safety

mizzoutigers
09-16-2009, 05:33 PM
dawk couldn't cover sh!t

thumpc
09-16-2009, 06:08 PM
Yup, one play Dawk tried to shove 85 off his route as he released him, then 85 pushed off of Champ, got flagged for it.

thumpc
09-16-2009, 06:10 PM
It makes sense to have your physical safety making that early contact.

Popps
09-16-2009, 06:38 PM
Good thread. I noticed it one time, but I'm still not through my second watch.

Do you remember what the times were when they did this?

Would love to look. I hope they continue to get Dawk up near the line like we used to do with Atwater.

Crushisback
09-16-2009, 07:07 PM
I was thinking it was in the third quarter.

cutthemdown
09-16-2009, 07:16 PM
It so Dawk can maul the guy underneath and champ gets more time to read QBS eyes. I'd say they maybe feel the WR will make a move to get rid of dawk, but in the process the QB will be at the end of his time in pocket. At that point he has less time to get rid of Bailey.

I said before game Broncos should bracket Ocho. I figured they would use a linebacker to harrass him underneath but using Dawk was prob way smarter.

By bracketing a player it makes it tough to throw to him.

Punisher
09-16-2009, 07:30 PM
That's a pretty smart thing to do, i only notice it on one play

cutthemdown
09-16-2009, 07:41 PM
That's a pretty smart thing to do, i only notice it on one play

until you face a team with a TE who can go down the seam and hurt you. Which we will this yr often.

Cincy could use a good TE.

Crushisback
09-16-2009, 09:24 PM
until you face a team with a TE who can go down the seam and hurt you. Which we will this yr often.

Cincy could use a good TE.

So you're saying Champ can't cover a TE as well as Dawk?

gunns
09-16-2009, 09:30 PM
dawk couldn't cover ****

But he got 7 solo tackles. Hell did this D as a whole have 7 tackles last year? And yes I'm being sarcastic, but not by much.

ward63
09-16-2009, 09:38 PM
Being at the game you actually could see it a lot. I want to say they did it 4 times, but he blitzed twice.

UberBroncoMan
09-16-2009, 09:43 PM
Being at the game you actually could see it a lot. I want to say they did it 4 times, but he blitzed twice.

He also did a handstand to confuse Palmer and net Davis a sack.

BroncoMan4ever
09-16-2009, 10:39 PM
Champ would be an awesome free safety

in 3 or 4 years when he can't hang with receivers anymore.

cutthemdown
09-16-2009, 10:49 PM
So you're saying Champ can't cover a TE as well as Dawk?

No I am saying you won't be able to use that bracket, with Champ and Dawk, on a teams number 1 WR, if they also have a really good TE who can burn you deep down the middle of the field.

Cincy really didn't have that so it let the safety's really concentrate on the WR's.

One thing that worried me, Coles or Henry vs Smith never became a problem.

I would guess though that against teams like SD and Oak, dawkins will be more worried about protecting the middle from Miller or Gates then he will helping Champ.

At some point the linebackers and safety's will be tested to the point the CBS may be on there own.

Rulon Velvet Jones
09-17-2009, 05:48 AM
Cowboys with both Witten and Bennett will be a test. They run a 12 formation quite a bit.

kent156
09-17-2009, 05:56 AM
No I am saying you won't be able to use that bracket, with Champ and Dawk, on a teams number 1 WR, if they also have a really good TE who can burn you deep down the middle of the field.

Cincy really didn't have that so it let the safety's really concentrate on the WR's.

One thing that worried me, Coles or Henry vs Smith never became a problem. I would guess though that against teams like SD and Oak, dawkins will be more worried about protecting the middle from Miller or Gates then he will helping Champ.

At some point the linebackers and safety's will be tested to the point the CBS may be on there own.

why would that worry you, smith looks like the real deal coles is a good player