PDA

View Full Version : Any clue why we brought in punters?

SonOfLe-loLang
09-16-2009, 04:45 PM
Hadnt seen this posted. Any clues?

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2009/09/16/broncos-work-out-punters/

Ironlung
09-16-2009, 04:47 PM
Probably to see if they could upgrade.

tsiguy96
09-16-2009, 04:49 PM
cuz kern sucked this game. shanked 2 punts i think.

PRBronco
09-16-2009, 04:50 PM
Probably just the usual: compiling scouting reports on various positions just in case.

ColoradoDarin
09-16-2009, 04:58 PM
Kern badly shanked a punt to give Cincy the ball at our 45 when we were leading 3-0. The rest of his punts weren't that great either (another only had long yards because it bounced so far in front of the return man that he couldn't get to it and it rolled another 15-20 yards). He outkicked his coverage and didn't have great hang time.

From MileHighReport:
This past Sunday, two other punters - Donnie Jones (Rams) and Andy Lee (49ers) - also had 8 punts. The difference in average is astounding. Lee averaged 49.1 yards (42.3 net) while Jones was even better - 50.8 yards (44.8 net). As stated above, Kern averaged 42.5 yards (36.4 net). That is 6 yards per kick, or about 50 yards of field position in a game.

Taco John
09-16-2009, 04:59 PM
It's for the wild-ass punting unit that McDaniels wants to expirement with. (It's like the wild cat, only with multi-punters.)

atomicbloke
09-16-2009, 05:02 PM
McD should have called up Anubis

Rock Chalk
09-16-2009, 05:27 PM
I dont know what Kern's deal is but in TC he was BOOMING punts with excellent hang time.

ZONA
09-16-2009, 05:49 PM
I can understand how punters might over kick the coverage, or kick a lower line drive now and then, and even fumble the snap. But for the life of God, you get paid to kick a ball all day long. How can you miss so badly that you barely even hit the ball with your foot and shank it to the side like that and the ball only go 20 yards or so?

cutthemdown
09-16-2009, 06:59 PM
I dont know what Kern's deal is but in TC he was BOOMING punts with excellent hang time.

Maybe he's a choker. I know some dudes that are the best guitar players, bass players, drummers etc in the world, but put them on stage and they fall apart, start making stupid mistakes.

Other players you think are avg, get on stage and take it up a notch with a great performance.

It's same thing in sports. You either are a gamer, or you aren't.

Kern just might not be a gamer.

PRBronco
09-16-2009, 07:11 PM
Maybe he's a choker. I know some dudes that are the best guitar players, bass players, drummers etc in the world, but put them on stage and they fall apart, start making stupid mistakes.

Other players you think are avg, get on stage and take it up a notch with a great performance.

See: Ernster, Paul.

Florida_Bronco
09-16-2009, 07:18 PM

Probably just a bad game.

Ironlung
09-16-2009, 07:24 PM
I can understand how punters might over kick the coverage, or kick a lower line drive now and then, and even fumble the snap. But for the life of God, you get paid to kick a ball all day long. How can you miss so badly that you barely even hit the ball with your foot and shank it to the side like that and the ball only go 20 yards or so?

This.

bowtown
09-16-2009, 07:42 PM

Except he was a gamer last year. Probably just a bad game.

GoBroncos DownUnder
09-16-2009, 07:51 PM
Everyone will boom punts in Training Camp, that's just the what happens when you DON'T have 60-80,000 fans screaming at you, you're a superstar!
Training Camp -} :undecided {- Regular season!

To open the game a RB will get a couple of quick/easy dives, a QB will hit some simple screens or RB/TE dump off passes, they get to "ease" into the game. Punters can't do that, so their entire position relies on them playing mind games with themselves.

BroncoBuff
09-16-2009, 08:02 PM
Training Camp -} :undecided {- Regular season!

Good smilie, never saw that one.

cutthemdown
09-16-2009, 08:04 PM
Except he was a gamer last year. Probably just a bad game.

Yeah but a couple more bad games and with a new coach he could be gonzo quick.

cutthemdown
09-16-2009, 08:04 PM
I said Kern was the right one to keep though and I still think that. Like most of you said probably just opening day jitters or something.

GoBroncos DownUnder
09-16-2009, 08:08 PM
You fumble the snap in the NFL, you get CUT.

Anyone see that Michael Irvin reality show for a shot at being a Dallas Cowboy? It was REALLY average, ... and the winner got CUT.
If they ran the same thing in Australia you'd EASILY get 5-10 guys skilled enough to make it to the last cut in training camp. No guarantees on them making the final cut though, as the nuances of American football are always hard for foreigners to grasp!

Sav Rocca (Eagles) and Ben Graham (Cards) played last year in the NFC Championship game. Both former professional Australian Rules players, so both had been kicking a football regularly since childhood. Three years ago, Rocca was the oldest rookie in NFL history at age 34, previously the oldest rookie was Graham.
a FIFTEEN year veteran at professional sports ... and an NFL franchise can get him on a rookie salary ... sounds like a bargain to me!;)

broncocalijohn
09-16-2009, 09:46 PM
Chargers had a rugby punter in the 90s (Darren somebody). Didnt we have a punter that competed with Kern up to the Cards game (or was it Bears)? I thought he has a couple of great kicks inside the 10 and thought he might replace Kern. I guessed wrong.

gunns
09-16-2009, 10:34 PM
Maybe because if Orton's play continues the same we'll wear out just 1 punter before half time?

Chris
09-16-2009, 11:07 PM
Chargers had a rugby punter in the 90s (Darren somebody). Didnt we have a punter that competed with Kern up to the Cards game (or was it Bears)? I thought he has a couple of great kicks inside the 10 and thought he might replace Kern. I guessed wrong.

Britton Colquitt. A rookie who comes from a long line of punters. We took another look at him this week.

watermock
09-16-2009, 11:22 PM
McStalin will find any scapegoat he can fron the Shanahan era.

Hillis and Marshall were ignored.

Maybe that inbred snapper from NE could have something to to do with it....

Just sayin'. Kern was good last year.

Popps
09-16-2009, 11:27 PM

:rofl:

Yea, I guess no one told our O-line, our TEs, Royal, Stokley, Bailey or the rest of the guys that seem to be doing fine.

McDaniels worked out a punter, and hence.. he's comparable to a murderous dictator.

As always, great contribution, Mock. You really serve a useful function around here, boss. I think I speak for everyone when I say thank you!

watermock
09-16-2009, 11:45 PM
You do realize we have a new, 6 million dollar snapper, right?

Honestly, to bring in a new punter is to ignore the offensive problems.

He punted how many times again?

Oh yeah, we never even reached the red zone.

STFU

I guess Orton's stats are better then, huh?

broncocalijohn
09-16-2009, 11:48 PM

Maybe that inbred snapper from NE could have something to to do with it....

Just sayin'. Kern was good last year.

better of not sayin anything like you DIDNT the first few days after the win. If marshall was ignored, i think it was for good reason.

watermock
09-16-2009, 11:57 PM
The WIN?

MMMkay...

sorry to mention the 2 players that might of given us more than 6 points.

JJJ
09-16-2009, 11:59 PM

Darren Bennett. Great punter. Made the probowl twice and was the All-Decade punter for the 90's despite playing only half the decade.

He just walked into the Chargers offices while on his honeymoon in San Diego with his wife and asked for a tryout. They sent him to Europe for the summer and became the Chargers starting punter in the fall and was second in the league in punting his rookie year and made the probowl. Pretty cool story and very cool guy.

watermock
09-17-2009, 12:08 AM
The punter is the least of our worries.

Try QB.

Bronco Yoda
09-17-2009, 12:14 AM
It's for the wild-ass punting unit that McDaniels wants to expirement with. (It's like the wild cat, only with multi-punters.)...

ROFL!
I heard it's nicknamed the Mile high_city_miracle with multiple punts from left to right.

Pendejo
09-17-2009, 12:55 AM
Probably just the usual: compiling scouting reports on various positions just in case.

Right.

As far as I know all NFL teams bring in free agents every week throughout the season for a look see. They occasionally sign someone, but that's exception not the rule. If they have a player go down they can check their list of guys they've already looked at, and not have to give up anything in return to fill a roster spot.

I know the Donks have signed guys who attended these tryouts because of injuries in recent years.

uplink
09-17-2009, 01:06 AM
Kern is pis**ed over McD thinking of a new punter, not returning Bowlin's calls right now.

Popps
09-17-2009, 01:47 AM
You do realize we have a new, 6 million dollar snapper, right?

Yea, I'm sure the long-snapper making a few hundred thousand more than most is going to be the end of the franchise.

Yep. Working out punters and a long-snapper making a few extra bucks.

I guess the Stalin reference WAS in order.

Great job, Mock! Keep it up!!!

:thumbs:

Gort
09-17-2009, 02:06 AM
Anyone see that Michael Irvin reality show for a shot at being a Dallas Cowboy? It was REALLY average, ... and the winner got CUT.

actually, that guy (Jesse Holley) made the Cowboys practice squad.

Gort
09-17-2009, 02:09 AM

Marshall was thrown to more than any other receiver on the team in game 1... but please continue with you're private little jihad against McD/Orton.

watermock
09-17-2009, 02:58 AM
Thrown AT doesn't mean thrown TO.

Eldorado
09-17-2009, 04:19 AM

You, sir, are a diabolical and evil genius.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
09-17-2009, 08:43 AM
Kern is pis**ed over McD thinking of a new punter, not returning Bowlin's calls right now.

That was the best post in this thread! :giggle:

HILife
09-17-2009, 08:58 AM

Kern will be fine. He did a good job last year, he will do a good one this year. It's just one bad game.

WolfpackGuy
09-17-2009, 10:57 AM
Probably because Kern's leg is going to fall off from having to punt so damn much this year.

broncocalijohn
09-17-2009, 10:58 AM

So Marshall wasnt ignored he was just taunted and teased with the football. Yeah, riiiiiiiight! Mock, what planet do you want to go to and be alone for awhile. After your PB incident, I thought we would get a new and fresh Mock. We did, but the conspiracy theorist and all out hatred of this team makes me wonder that the old drunk mock was much easier to take. You have your Viks to fall back on so why dont you go lap it up for Favre and company over at blondepigtails.com

MaloCS
09-17-2009, 11:03 AM
kern is pis**ed over mcd thinking of a new punter, not returning bowlin's calls right now.

Too funny! LOL

broncosteven
09-17-2009, 11:04 AM
cuz kern sucked this game. shanked 2 punts i think.

"shanked 2 punts i think"

You think or you know? Did you watch the game? I know you missed a pretty critical play, the 4th down conversion early in the game.

It is cool if you were at a bar with some buds binge drinking yelling Go BRONCOS! but don't say a guy sucked if you didn't see all his punts.

He had one bad shank, he had a very nice 56 yard punt also but I am guessing you missed it while in UnicornHappyLand.

This is probably the week they decided to work out ST'ers incase Kern goes down later in the year.

This is what pisses me off about the great "SUPERFANS" they talk about **** they didn't even take time to pay attention to then they knock those that sat and watched, AND ROOTED FOR A WIN, the whole 60 minutes.

boppool
09-17-2009, 11:21 AM
If you were a Shanny guy, then you're on short leash.. On the other hand, if you ever played a down in NE uni, then, well...

Popps
09-17-2009, 11:55 AM

You think or you know? Did you watch the game? I know you missed a pretty critical play, the 4th down conversion early in the game.

It is cool if you were at a bar with some buds binge drinking yelling Go BRONCOS! but don't say a guy sucked if you didn't see all his punts.

He had one bad shank, he had a very nice 56 yard punt also but I am guessing you missed it while in UnicornHappyLand.

This is probably the week they decided to work out ST'ers incase Kern goes down later in the year.

This is what pisses me off about the great "SUPERFANS" they talk about **** they didn't even take time to pay attention to then they knock those that sat and watched, AND ROOTED FOR A WIN, the whole 60 minutes.

:spit:

Good lord, dude. Wrong side of the bed?

Yikes.

ScottXray
09-17-2009, 12:04 PM
The shank was a bad play and left the D in a bad position.

Kern will probably be allright...but maybe McD brought in the other two this week to make a point. There are always other players waiting to take your job in the NFL. Failure is not in his playbook (by design anyway).

Poor execution leads to replacement. I think Colquitt has good credentials, and if Kern screws up much he will be gone/replaced. McD is telling him so, to motivate him to execute properly. Might backfire...as kickers are always
mental about some things, but hopefully works out okay.

broncosteven
09-17-2009, 12:13 PM
:spit:

Good lord, dude. Wrong side of the bed?

Yikes.

All offseason I had to listen to his great insight.

When the season does start he doesn't bother to watch the whole game then he makes comments about player performance based on what he thinks happened?

How about some accountablity now that we have real games being played and not just speculation about what is going on behind the FO doors?

If you saw all of Kerns punts and still thought he sucked then fine.

If you want to be a homer and just post Go Broncos! We are gonna win! WOooooHooo! that is fine I can live with that but if you claim to be a Superfan and better than everyone else then watch the games or don't comment on the players or the outcome.

tsiguy96
09-17-2009, 12:15 PM

anyways, not all of us live in denver, and not all of us have great viable options to watch the game. when im watching the game on a small TV 40 feet away at buffalo wild wings, i think im gonna miss a thing or two about the details, especially when im with other people. nice try though.

broncosteven
09-17-2009, 12:21 PM
anyways, not all of us live in denver, and not all of us have great viable options to watch the game. when im watching the game on a small TV 40 feet away at buffalo wild wings, i think im gonna miss a thing or two about the details, especially when im with other people. nice try though.

That is fine, my point is you cannot comment on player performance if you can't see or don't know what happened.

Don't post that you thought Kern had a couple of shanks and played poorly if you can't get a table close enough to the action.

I now have the impression that you base your posts more on what you think occurs than what happened in reality.

tsiguy96
09-17-2009, 12:26 PM
That is fine, my point is you cannot comment on player performance if you can't see or don't know what happened.

Don't post that you thought Kern had a couple of shanks and played poorly if you can't get a table close enough to the action.

I now have the impression that you base your posts more on what you think occurs than what happened in reality.

no, i actually saw some shanked punts including the one that well in our territory. quit being a fool. just because i dont know if it was 2 or 3 shanked punts off the back of my hand doesnt mean **** especially since i can barely see the details of the game. i make the trip to the restaurant every week so i can watch the game, would you do that too? now whos playing the superfan card fool.

Beantown Bronco
09-17-2009, 12:43 PM
I'm convinced that tsiguy must've called Gene Kranz a homo or something.

broncosteven
09-17-2009, 12:57 PM
no, i actually saw some shanked punts including the one that well in our territory. quit being a fool. just because i dont know if it was 2 or 3 shanked punts off the back of my hand doesnt mean **** especially since i can barely see the details of the game. i make the trip to the restaurant every week so i can watch the game, would you do that too? now whos playing the superfan card fool.

Details are important. It seperates the good posters from the bad.

I love how you want to turn the question back to my Superfan status.

In the past, probably when you were in Jr High, I would go to Shark City and watch every game that wasn't on national TV. I even got there early so we could find a good table next to a TV, and then I would tip the waitress to have the Bronco game turned on.

You are still missing my point.

If you want to comment on something don't guess, there are others that might be lurking who follow your posts and think, "boy that TSIGUY knows what he is talking bout! Biatch! He must be right because he is always posting stuff and starting threads about stuff he knows". Eventually they will realize that you are guessing and don't know what your posting about.

broncosteven
09-17-2009, 02:42 PM
BTW something lost in this thread was Kern's performance:

8 punts, 42.5 avg, 3 downed inside the 20, a long of 56.

8 punts is way too many but I thought he had a good day despite the one shank.

They are just looking at kickers this week for emergency depth.

tsiguy96
09-17-2009, 03:17 PM
Details are important. It seperates the good posters from the bad.

I love how you want to turn the question back to my Superfan status.

In the past, probably when you were in Jr High, I would go to Shark City and watch every game that wasn't on national TV. I even got there early so we could find a good table next to a TV, and then I would tip the waitress to have the Bronco game turned on.

You are still missing my point.

If you want to comment on something don't guess, there are others that might be lurking who follow your posts and think, "boy that TSIGUY knows what he is talking bout! Biatch! He must be right because he is always posting stuff and starting threads about stuff he knows". Eventually they will realize that you are guessing and don't know what your posting about.

what got in your gene krantz today? sheesh.

not really gonna justify anything else you said with a response however. talk about silliness.

DBroncos4life
09-17-2009, 03:31 PM
what got in your gene krantz today? sheesh.

not really gonna justify anything else you said with a response however. talk about silliness.

lol he is right. You act like you have never been to B Dubs before, if you want a good seat get there early.

tsiguy96
09-17-2009, 03:40 PM
lol he is right. You act like you have never been to B Dubs before, if you want a good seat get there early.

i was there early, the place was dead, the TV was still small and we got seated directly facing it, just kinda far away, they played hte ****ing vikings game on the main TV.

DBroncos4life
09-17-2009, 03:46 PM
i was there early, the place was dead, the TV was still small and we got seated directly facing it, just kinda far away, they played hte ****ing vikings game on the main TV.

The one I used to go to in Billings Montana has 5 big screen TVs with different games on it with multiple little TVs. All you have to do is ask someone to switch one of the bigger games to a game you want. Even more so if you are there early and it was dead. You might not get sound but you will get the game.