PDA

View Full Version : prevent defense...

tsiguy96
09-16-2009, 02:35 PM
2 teams lost games in final drives by switching to a prevent style defense (titans, raiders) and a third almost lost (us). why in the hell do teams switch to stopping the long ball when there is a good amount of time left on the clock? all it does is open up the underneath so they can take 4-5 plays and get 10 yards a pop and enter FG range or more, its stupid.

ward63
09-16-2009, 02:46 PM
My thing is....if you have like 10 seconds to go, that's fine, but if they are in a 2 min drill it's horrible, b/c you give the QB forever to throw and somebody is bound to get open.

Gort
09-16-2009, 02:52 PM
the only thing the prevent defense does is prevent victory. i hate it. always ave, always will. i say you play the same defense you used all game. if they beat you in the final 2 minutes, at least you lost with a fight. the prevent defense is like giving up. unless it's the last play of the game and its a 60-yard hail mary pass, there is no valid reason to ever put 4-6 defenders 35-45 yards off the line of scrimmage.

Doggcow
09-16-2009, 02:56 PM
I'd rather just run a 3 deep man up. 3 Safeties deep.

Old Dude
09-16-2009, 02:58 PM
Were we really all that dedicated to a "prevent defense" on that drive, or might it also have been the case that Cincy's offense was moving so quickly that we didn't want to gamble with getting the blitz calls fouled up (especially with a new system & new personnel going against a smart QB like Palmer?)

Smiling Assassin27
09-16-2009, 03:03 PM
aggression is a fundamental element of a winning football team. prevent is passive and passivity takes whatever aggression you once had and hands it over to the opposition.

watermock
09-16-2009, 03:07 PM
It's something inexpicable.

ESCECIALLY with 1 point lead...

Make the offense BEAT YOU!~!

Complete misplay by the FS on Stiokes 87 yard TD...

And fine, if the Bills returner thought he was over the goal line, go down at the 20.

It reminded me of the Chefs loss against all odds that cost (at least partially) the playoffs.

Oakland did the same damn thing.

The Bills, Oakland and Cincy all pulled defeat fron the jaws of victory, because their teams CHOKED, and the displined teams knew how to win.

Face it...we faced a pretty mediocre Cincy team that Palmer drove don at will with 38 ticks.

It wasn't a rumble, it was a stumble by the FS closing in on the play and ignoring the free stokely.

Before that, Beavis was going into hysterics.

We might go 3-0 to start and still get to 6-10.

Popps
09-16-2009, 03:09 PM
It's a tricky situation. But, I often wonder why teams use it, myself. For one, if you use the prevent... and it fails, you've not only allowed a team to take the lead, but you've killed any clock you would have had left for yourself.

It almost seems like if you're up 2... with 2 minutes left, just pin your ears back and go after them. If they manage to bust off a long play... at least you're allowing yourself some time when you get the ball back.

I don't know... there are certainly times to use it. But, it does seem like it almost always ends up with the opposing team getting in striking range.

watermock
09-16-2009, 03:11 PM
I'd rather just run a 3 deep man up. 3 Safeties deep.

Tell that to Marvin...jesus...letting a lone saftey close on a tip is...

stupid.

The point is, Denver should of played the same D it had, then Cincy really SHOULD of gone 3 deep saftey.

misturanderson
09-16-2009, 03:13 PM
It's something inexpicable.

ESCECIALLY with 1 point lead...

Make the offense BEAT YOU!~!

Complete misplay by the FS on Stiokes 87 yard TD...

And fine, if the Bills returner thought he was over the goal line, go down at the 20.

It reminded me of the Chefs loss against all odds that cost (at least partially) the playoffs.

Oakland did the same damn thing.

The Bills, Oakland and Cincy all pulled defeat fron the jaws of victory, because their teams CHOKED, and the displined teams knew how to win.

Face it...we faced a pretty mediocre Cincy team that Palmer drove don at will with 38 ticks.

It wasn't a rumble, it was a stumble by the FS closing in on the play and ignoring the free stokely.

Before that, Beavis was going into hysterics.

We might go 3-0 to start and still get to 6-10.

Why are you complaining about how Cincy played us, you tool?

gyldenlove
09-16-2009, 03:14 PM
Were we really all that dedicated to a "prevent defense" on that drive, or might it also have been the case that Cincy's offense was moving so quickly that we didn't want to gamble with getting the blitz calls fouled up (especially with a new system & new personnel going against a smart QB like Palmer?)

It looked like a really soft cover 2 all drive long. No blitzing, the linebackers playing off the line facing the play and the safeties playing at least 20 yards back. It was interestingly the same defense that cost the Bengals the win, if they play 2 or 3 deep there is no way Stokley makes it to the end zone, but because they are in cover 2 Marshall goes behind the cornerback and the safeties both come over leaving Stokley open.

KevinJames
09-16-2009, 03:14 PM
go back and watch the last drive of the game, we weren't in prevent the whole drive, maybe on the 1 or 2 plays or that drive but we rushed 4 or 5 most of this drive, long runs and miscues along with missed tackles is what made that drive for them.

gyldenlove
09-16-2009, 03:17 PM
In situations like we were defending the lead with 2 minutes to go, I like alternating a lot. It seems that teams that manage to keep a healthy mix of plays are a lot harder to play against since the QB can't make the automatic zone vs man read and then go to his hot guy. If things are mixed up the QB has to not only identify the coverage he also has to identify the pressure and especially when combining zone and man has to check that his hot read is not in a different cover or that cover is not skewed towards that side.