PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Power Rankings

Quoydogs
09-15-2009, 12:44 PM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/powerrankings

So how are the Patties at #2 when they should have lost to the bills

How are the Chargers at #6 when they looked like dog sh!t and almost lost to Oakland??

I just don't get it.

tsiguy96
09-15-2009, 12:45 PM
makes lots and lots of sense, huh?

ElwayMD
09-15-2009, 12:47 PM
Apparently you haven't heard of ESPiN and their love affair with the Patriots. Secondly the Chuggers are sexy on paper so even if they win by one against the Arlington, VA school for the blind they will get mad props for it from the front runners at ESPN.

tsiguy96
09-15-2009, 12:47 PM
steelers go to OT and nearly lose against titans, #1. titans #9. pats pull miracle win to beat bills, they are #2, bills who almost dethrone pats, #21. ****ing retarded, espin is a joke. the saints DISMANTLE the lions and left several touchdowns on the field, #12. yea, its the lions, but they are an NFL team and the saints treated them like high schoolers.

Garcia Bronco
09-15-2009, 12:49 PM
Unless you are looking for a score or actual sport, I don't understand why people go to ESPiN for any information at all.

gyldenlove
09-15-2009, 12:50 PM
I have put this exact same argument to other people I know. We were very close to put the game away earlier, while the Patriots were behind all game and the chuggers couldn't pull away from Oakland.

Rabb
09-15-2009, 12:50 PM
um, aren't those the training camp rankings?

They're ranked this high in anticipation of Brett Favre joining them. (Chadiha)

TheElusiveKyleOrton
09-15-2009, 12:52 PM
No comments on the fact that we're the lowest ranked 1-0 team, behind SEVERAL 0-1 teams?

Interesting.

55CrushEm
09-15-2009, 01:04 PM
Why do people give a **** about the "Power Rankings".

THEY DON'T MEAN ANYTHING !!!!!! IT'S A SUMMATION OF A BUNCH OF IDIOTS' OPINIONS !!!!

I find it funny when people get all worked up over them.......

bronco militia
09-15-2009, 01:08 PM
I hate the BCS...

oh wait!

boppool
09-15-2009, 01:17 PM
No comments on the fact that we're the lowest ranked 1-0 team, behind SEVERAL 0-1 teams?

Interesting.

So, you think we should be ranked ahead of teams like Titans, Bears, Cards and Panthers. You're drinking too much orange kool-aide.

rbackfactory80
09-15-2009, 01:24 PM
Next you guys will be reading John Clayton's tips on how to get laid.

Rulon Velvet Jones
09-15-2009, 01:28 PM
You could argue Denver over the Cards, Dolphins, Texans, Bills and Redskins. Even though I hate the Raider, I think they deserve a little more love than #27.

broncocalijohn
09-15-2009, 01:29 PM
WHo cares? Werent we "dissed" last year in the rankings when at the end of the year, we were pretty much what the experts thougth. On paper and in the media, we are a troubled franchise. We didnt go beat Cowboys or any other Top 12 team. We beat a team that is ranked around what we are so we won a game that isnt looked at as a total upset. Here is another stat: No team has been selected to go to the playoffs based on Power Rankings in Pro Football. It is true. Look it up.

BroncoMan4ever
09-15-2009, 01:34 PM

Interesting.

i don't care. let them underestimate and write off our team, it fires up our guys and at the end of the year we can serve up a nice big **** burger for everyone who hated

WolfpackGuy
09-15-2009, 01:35 PM
I wouldn't get bent too out of shape over rankings from a network who tries to push soccer and women's basketball on us.

Rabb
09-15-2009, 01:36 PM
Raideresnice work

how the Vikes moved up after beating a joke of crap team like the Browns...my lord

Traveler
09-15-2009, 01:52 PM
Why does anyone still read anything from ESPN? All they are good for now is watching MNF.

broncswin
09-15-2009, 01:56 PM
Next you guys will be reading John Clayton's tips on how to get laid.

Holy Shiat Man...that was hillarious!!ROFL!ROFL!

Eldorado
09-15-2009, 02:02 PM
Why do people give a **** about the "Power Rankings".

THEY DON'T MEAN ANYTHING !!!!!! IT'S A SUMMATION OF A BUNCH OF IDIOTS' OPINIONS !!!!

I find it funny when people get all worked up over them.......

I find it funny when someone gets all worked up over people getting all worked up over them.

:~ohyah!:

azbroncfan
09-15-2009, 02:19 PM

How are the Chargers at #6 when they looked like dog **** and almost lost to Oakland??

I just don't get it.

When has anyone won anything over powerrankings and why do people get their panties in a bunch over them?

TheReverend
09-15-2009, 02:51 PM
A lot of teams looked better losing than we did winning. The rankings don't surprise me. The win is all that matters. Let's hope we play cleaner vs Cleveland, but in reality, if we fall ass first into lucky wins all season, who cares?

tsiguy96
09-15-2009, 02:56 PM
A lot of teams looked better losing than we did winning. The rankings don't surprise me. The win is all that matters. Let's hope we play cleaner vs Cleveland, but in reality, if we fall ass first into lucky wins all season, who cares?

rather lucky then good. all season long. including playoffs and super bowl.

if it takes bull**** wins and lucky ass catches and interceptions to win a bunch of games, i dont think anywhere here would complain.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
09-15-2009, 02:59 PM
So, you think we should be ranked ahead of teams like Titans, Bears, Cards and Panthers. You're drinking too much orange kool-aide.

Panthers got shelled. SHELLED.

They don't even know who will be their starting QB this week.

The Texans didn't score a single offensive point, and let a rookie QB march up and down their backsides.

The Cards have yet to show me ANYTHING this season, and are probably the third best team in their division.

So yes, I think we should be at least three spots higher. Call me crazy. Call it kool-aide. Whatever. It's not my problem that you can't see the truth.

ChSuperStar
09-15-2009, 03:05 PM
Oakland after a long time.. showed some effort on field. But we won because of a lucky play is what everyone says... I hate oakland but they played good ball... but our defense held up for 59 minutes and this is the same D that was torn apart by so called experts. So showing us some love as well would be good... but i like them treating us like underdog's. That will make this team, play for full 60 minutes.

Cleveland is good in special teams... we need to contain that and make brady throw..

Mr. Elway
09-15-2009, 03:07 PM
For those of you who don't already know, this site (http://www.footballoutsiders.com/dvoa-ratings/2009/week-1-dvoa-ratings) has purely statistics-based rankings. It really doesn't start to get accurate until there is more current-season data, so don't put too much stock in the week one rankings. The picture should start to get a lot more accurate by midseason. Pretty interesting to follow this IMO and for those of you playing pickem this can be a useful tool.

ChSuperStar
09-15-2009, 03:10 PM
panthers and skins should be below us.. but who cares. lets atleast get our 3 wins possible and then see how we do and where they rank us. at the end of the day, will we make the playoffs ? mostly the answer is no... but i want to see this team try and play full 60 mins

Irish Stout
09-15-2009, 03:25 PM

You obviously didn't watch the Cards, Bears or Panthers. The Bears lost their "best" deffensive player and their QB looked like the poo poo platter. The Cards looked hopeless and lethargic and the Panthers looked like an out and out team of terrible.

Yes we should be ranked above those on an aobjective basis of how we played and the outcome of our game. Compare total yards, QB rating, tackles, sacks, turnovers, forced punts and the end result of the game to determine a power ranking.... we beat those other douchies... maybe not titans, but the other douchies.

Rock Chalk
09-15-2009, 03:30 PM

Probably not the Titans.

But what was impressive about the Bears, Cards or Panthers? Panthers look especially horrible.

Cards cant protect Kurt this year apparently.

And the Bears have Cutler, so they are hamstrung all season AND they lost Urlacher.

Rock Chalk
09-15-2009, 03:31 PM

Uhh, the Panthers looked like one of the worst teams in the NFL and the Cards didn't look much better.

JJJ
09-15-2009, 03:32 PM
I have put this exact same argument to other people I know. We were very close to put the game away earlier, while the Patriots were behind all game and the chuggers couldn't pull away from Oakland.

Save for a complete miracle you almost hung a full 6 points on the mighty Cincinati Bengals. That is reason to move up in the Power Rankings?

TheReverend
09-15-2009, 03:33 PM
Uhh, the Panthers looked like one of the worst teams in the NFL and the Cards didn't look much better.

So you think there MIGHT be two teams we could leap-frog? That's one hell of a statement.

Animation summary of what just happened between you and me:

http://somewhatmanlynerd.com/gifs/charliebasketballrejected.gif

Irish Stout
09-15-2009, 03:46 PM
Probably not the Titans.

But what was impressive about the Bears, Cards or Panthers? Panthers look especially horrible.

Cards cant protect Kurt this year apparently.

And the Bears have Cutler, so they are hamstrung all season AND they lost Urlacher.

dude I posted this 5 minutes before you, you plagiarizing mother ****er

Beantown Bronco
09-15-2009, 03:50 PM
The Broncos are ranked about where they should be ranked.

Everyone on here pretty much agreed with a 22-26 power ranking before the season started, right? How does a last second win against Cincy change that?

BroncoMan4ever
09-15-2009, 03:55 PM

Everyone on here pretty much agreed with a 22-26 power ranking before the season started, right? How does a last second win against Cincy change that?

we were ranked that low due to questions about the defense, and not knowing if Marshall would be back, and coaching. the defense almost shutting out an opponent should move us up a few slots, good defensive coaching a few more, improved special teams a few more. i'm not saying top 10 but we should be at least middle of the pack.

UberBroncoMan
09-15-2009, 04:07 PM
I like how all of the bottom teams but one (us) are 0-1. Even if it was a miracle win, you could say the same about a few others this week who deserved to lose (pats/chargers).

Oh and lawl at this.

Jets 1-0-0 Rex Ryan and Mark Sanchez are two of the most exciting additions to the AFC. (Clayton)

Guess Clayton doesn't know that Rex was in Baltimore (AFC) last year.

TheReverend
09-15-2009, 04:08 PM
we were ranked that low due to questions about the defense, and not knowing if Marshall would be back, and coaching. the defense almost shutting out an opponent should move us up a few slots, good defensive coaching a few more, improved special teams a few more. i'm not saying top 10 but we should be at least middle of the pack.

At least middle is saying 16 or higher. You think we're a play-off team?

Mr. Elway
09-15-2009, 04:25 PM
Playoffs??!!!!!

Williams
09-15-2009, 08:24 PM
CBS was a little more objective, and actually gave our D props...

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/powerrankings

maher_tyler
09-15-2009, 08:30 PM

How are the Chargers at #6 when they looked like dog **** and almost lost to Oakland??

I just don't get it.

One word...ESPN!!!

Is Clayton retarded...McNabb was hurt on that late hit...you play hard till the finall whistle

Rock Chalk
09-15-2009, 09:18 PM

IM in agreement.

If we get to the bye undefeated though (which would require a pretty Herculean effort by the guys in Orange and Blue), we should probably move up to you know, the top 10.

mhgaffney
09-15-2009, 09:39 PM
Kind of curious that 7 teams that lost their first game -- are still ranked above us.

And of the teams that won-- we are in the cellar.

Punisher
09-15-2009, 10:02 PM
Once again Power Rankings don't mean ****, it's just something to talk about.

Los Broncos
09-15-2009, 10:09 PM
Cowherd was slobbering all over Brady this morning.

maher_tyler
09-15-2009, 10:13 PM
panthers and skins should be below us.. but who cares. lets atleast get our 3 wins possible and then see how we do and where they rank us. at the end of the day, will we make the playoffs ? mostly the answer is no... but i want to see this team try and play full 60 mins

I don't think it was so much the play as much the play calling. We quite blitzing and gave Palmer all day to throw!

ScottXray
09-15-2009, 10:14 PM
Screw it...who cares what the media hacks say...

Some of them won't give denver any credit, and some of them gave the d too much....and ignored the lack of O we had.

I figure we are somewhere around 20, right now. win the next three and they will have us at or near the top ten, only to move us down as the season progresses.

The chargers could lose the next three and they still will be top 15, until they miss the playoffs .

maher_tyler
09-15-2009, 10:17 PM

If it weren't for the miricle play we lose and Orton doesn't even break 200 yards passing. 20 seems about right IMO!

Beantown Bronco
09-16-2009, 07:32 AM

To argue that way, you would have to acknowledge that the prior ranking was also based on the assumption that the Broncos offense would also be able to put up at least SOME points, right? Certainly not 6 pts through 59 and a half minutes against any team not named Pittsburgh or Baltimore.

Any movement up the chart because of the defense should also be countered by a move down the chart because of the offense.

And improved special teams? Though they should be improved this year, they didn't necessarily show it against Cincy. The Mane seems pretty universal in a "B" or so grade for that game......which is probably lower than they were in the first few weeks of last season.